Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm gonna be real disappointed if Butler doesn't get enough nominations, she's always seemed solid and she's good in interviews too

e- uh dogsnipe I guess

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/stat...ingawful.com%2F

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If she does at the moment I think I'm putting butler first.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Just tried the Marmite fudge. It’s actually really nice. Unusual, but far from unpleasant. My wife described it best as ‘tasting like the middle of a Daim bar would if it was chewy and soft’ and absolutely loved it. Strong caramel notes but with hints of toast and a slight tang to the aftertaste.

Think I’ll throw this one into occasional rotation.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

RLB / Butler is the only ideologically correct ticket, and I will think less of goons who vote otherwise.

I polled the centrist dad demo (my dad) and he likes Jess and thinks RLB looks like an idiot. Previously refused to vote for Milliband because of his face, think he’s been Lib Dem the last few elections plus or minus a shameful Davey cam. Luckily he isn’t choosing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

RLB / Butler is the only ideologically correct ticket, and I will think less of goons who vote otherwise.

I polled the centrist dad demo (my dad) and he likes Jess and thinks RLB looks like an idiot. Previously refused to vote for Milliband because of his face, think he’s been Lib Dem the last few elections plus or minus a shameful Davey cam. Luckily he isn’t choosing.

Your da has a weird loving taste in faces if he voted for david "shellac" cameron but not ed milliband.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Be fair, shellac is useful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah Steve albini can tell you how to cook a potato

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

baka kaba posted:

honestly I think it depends if you actually fight them - the media has been pushing this leftist insurgents, death of the labour party, struggle for its existence thing for a while. If Labour gets a leader who's willing to go along with that narrative, throws the left under a bus and moves back towards the right I reckon the media will give them a relatively easy ride

Going back a couple of days, Jess Phillips was on radio 4 condemning the assassination of the Iranian general and was immediately met with comparisons to Corbyn and not being on the same team as the UK. If Jess Phillips is getting that before she's even leader no-one short of someone who has hypnotised Murdoch and blackmailed the Mail group will get anything resembling an easy ride.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Going back a couple of days, Jess Phillips was on radio 4 condemning the assassination of the Iranian general and was immediately met with comparisons to Corbyn and not being on the same team as the UK. If Jess Phillips is getting that before she's even leader no-one short of someone who has hypnotised Murdoch and blackmailed the Mail group will get anything resembling an easy ride.

I mean, being attacked for your actual political opinions is a little different than being accused of anti-semitism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Give it time, not wanting to got to war with iran will soon be the most antisemitic thing imaginable.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I mean, being attacked for your actual political opinions is a little different than being accused of anti-semitism
Smearing Corbyn over antisemitism worked so well that the next Labour leader will almost certainly be smeared the same way. Press attacks on the leader are 100% guaranteed to happen and who the leader is and what they've done in life will have almost no bearing on the direction or intensity of those attacks and you're an absolute mug if you think otherwise. There is no safe pick for leader that will avoid being called turbohitler 3.0 so just pick based on policies and stop being a loving melt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm 90% sure DA2 is pansexual not because of artistic vision but because it maximises romance options per writing effort.

And I'm not sure why anyone would enjoy loving Merrill but suit yourself I guess.

Merrill is small and pure and did nothing wrong, and I'll fight anyone in the parking lot over this :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

Merrill is small and pure and did nothing wrong, and I'll fight anyone in the parking lot over this :colbert:

Merrill sucks and I would love to stay and fight you but I'm off down the pub for a G+T

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I played the original dragon age after neverwinter nights so I was just sad that they turned my cool ridiculously comprehensive dnd 3.5 simulation into a weird edgy thing with simplified mechanics and some really loving :stare: plot points and I stopped playing it about three quarters of the way through because I just hated it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well I didn't expect UKMT to one-two combo with hateful falsehoods but okay

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I might have disliked it less if I didn't feel like the writer was furiously masturbating all the way through the bit where you have to invade the bad guy nest and find out where they come from.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ms Adequate posted:

And Dragon Age was a sprawling epic very much in the vein of the BG games too. DA2 is pretty pansexual but that's actually a good thing because everyone should be able to enjoy loving Merrill/Anders/Fenris. The most recent Bioware games have been of declining quality for sure but that definitely doesn't stem from a desire to write quippy Whedonesque characters, even when those are present (At most I would say they're emblematic of the same thing - EA interference and changes in staffing). It's, like, not because of character dialog that Anthem is such a sack of dismembered dicks nobody realizes is less than a year old.

I mean, I won't criticize DA2 for being pansexual, because seriously if you just remove that word from the original post it doesn't change in meaning unless you treat "pansexual" like an innately bad thing. But I also won't defend DA2's writing.

Bioware games first went seriously downhill and then the only bits that remained memorable were witty characters and dating simulator poo poo because those are the only high points (or amusingly low points) when you have a bunch of writers who aren't skilled enough to properly cooperate.

Also, Merrill, sure, enjoy your Aerie Rehash. But Anders? Sulky warcrime guy? Anders loving sucks.

Pilchenstein posted:

Bioware's "classic" writing team used the same plot for every single game they ever made.

The plot was just an excuse to have people move through the world, all the sidequest and location writing and characters were the worthwhile thing. A classic Bioware game was a hundred stories loosely linked by the plot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

yeah but is she the 'right' candidate? She definitely thinks she should be PM and she got plenty of airtime to attack Corbyn, but I don't really think she'd be the establishment choice of successor or anything. Especially if she's openly criticising stuff like ~~getting the baddies~~, and especially if she can't pivot that to criticising the left and distancing herself from those anti-war, anti-interventionist tendencies (even in the mildest way)

like I'm not saying anyone in Labour would escape that kind of bias, it's gonna be an issue for everyone - but some will get a lot more of it, and some will get less. Just because some represent what's anathema to establishment thinking, and some represent something closer to a correction. Don't forget, whatever the result Corbyn's Labour managed to drag the overton window pretty far to the left, so dragging it back to the right is their goal

And that means Labour's messaging needs to change and that new perspective needs to be promoted - which isn't the same as encouraging people to actually support the party, just to accept the narrative that the hostility Corbynism faced was because its ideas were bad, and this new shift is naturally less vilified because it's closer to being good and sensible, rational politics. The goal is to sink the left, not the Labour party (which has historically had its uses)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like I might have disliked it less if I didn't feel like the writer was furiously masturbating all the way through
I feel like my process is being attacked. This is worse than when I found out that you couldn't just get hosed up and turn in poo poo at the last minute and call it gonzo.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Please be aware that the D&D rules have been updated

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

endlessmonotony posted:

The plot was just an excuse to have people move through the world, all the sidequest and location writing and characters were the worthwhile thing. A classic Bioware game was a hundred stories loosely linked by the plot.
Rehashing the same "an ancient and powerful evil is returning to destroy us" plot a hundred times as an excuse to do a bunch of trite "do you murder the orphans or give them your house?" poo poo "morality" choices is not good writing I'm afraid. Also that bit in Baldur's Gate where the villain turns up in disguise and his name is just written backwards is the worst thing that's ever been put in a videogame :v:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pod news!

Ignore my previous post where I was hopeful about us doing stuff, it was way too optimistic to get anything sorted with everyone scattered over the holiday period.

That being said, we’ve got a busy day tomorrow with :siren: two :siren: episodes being recorded! We shall return to you all on Tuesday with our first news episode of the year, and as a special treat for the weekend, we’re going to do our first dive into the world of cinema!

After a big meeting this week, we’re looking to up the guests coming on the pod, branch out with the content (meaning more deep dives, and moving into some leftist critique of cultural output like the episode planned for this week), and we’ve got a couple of small changes planned to how we run some episodes, namely trimming the news episodes back a little bit on occasion to give more focus to things that need it.

And finally, we’ll be properly scoring Comment or Commentariat throughout the year to crown a champion of hot takes at the end of year awards, and also allowing you all to play along at home!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Can we still body nazis in the thread and tell them to unequivocally gently caress off with no quarter, because nazis aren’t my friend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eh, I figure they're either not posting in good faith, or if they drop the mask and post in good faith then they're breaking the bigotry rule.

Either way they're in violation of one of the rules, or if not then in violation of Lowtax's greater rule of "Nazi poo poo WILL NOT be tolerated ANYWHERE on the loving forums. Go to loving Stormfront, because you are absolutely not wanted here."

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Cool, are tories and Lib Dem’s still fair game too? :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Cool, are tories and Lib Dem’s still fair game too? :v:

We already said Nazis are fair game~!! (i'm kidding lib dems aren't nazis they're just enablers)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Miftan posted:

We already said Nazis are fair game~!! (i'm kidding lib dems aren't nazis they're just enablers)

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
extremely classy this

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1215952610538217472

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Has this commander guy been turning the frickin frogs gay anywhere

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

the state of this dipshit, check out that account banner

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

endlessmonotony posted:

Also, Merrill, sure, enjoy your Aerie Rehash. But Anders? Sulky warcrime guy? Anders loving sucks.

Anders is the best character and he struck a blow for justice and freedom against an imperialist, colonialist, theocratic order that practices pseudo-slavery. Anders was 100% right. Anders-haters are liberals of the highest order, demanding he attempt change in a peaceable and non-violent manner even though A) He did that for seven years before an impending pogrom forced his hand and B) There's no shortage of violence inherent in the system against mages, but somehow it's not a problem until mages fight back.

(DA2 genuinely formed a part of my radicalization and for all its flaws I consequently have Feelings about my mage son :p)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can take the goon out of the forums but you can't take the forums out of the goon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pilchenstein posted:

Smearing Corbyn over antisemitism worked so well that the next Labour leader will almost certainly be smeared the same way. Press attacks on the leader are 100% guaranteed to happen and who the leader is and what they've done in life will have almost no bearing on the direction or intensity of those attacks and you're an absolute mug if you think otherwise. There is no safe pick for leader that will avoid being called turbohitler 3.0 so just pick based on policies and stop being a loving melt.

Pretty much. The attacklines are pretty predictable for whoever gets it.

Starmer is Ultra Remainer London Lawyer. Ignoring the fact that he's probably the one they actually want in the most.
RLB is Corbyn2.0 - and in her case they've already started trying to disparage her :airquote: weird :airquote: hobby of...sitting on the couch and relaxing with her kids in her time off. Probably because she appears to be the one most likely to continue with the current Labour trajectory, and thus a legitimate threat. And by god they'll do their damnedest to convince the general public she makes the buses late, the milk sour, and babies cry.
Jessflaps would be an unceasing tirade of misogynistic gammonati sneering at at her, aided by her readiness to push further right to please them.

But yeah, regardless of who gets in, and what policies they enact, labour will still be claimed to have an AS problem (when it's convenient), and any policies will be reported as frivolous, unrealistic, or treacherous Marxist sorcery.

[e]:
:lol:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's me, I'm funded by The Norton Commander.

e: I also make the buses sour, the milk cry, and babies late.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

RottenK posted:

if you think that starmer won't backstab you the second he gets into power you are a rube

he's already cosying up to pieces of poo poo like luke akehurst

The proof of this is that he's apparently suggesting giving Labour councillors more power in the party, which was what the Labour right were arguing for before conference as a way to overcome the power of the membership.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyway i also saw a tweet of a dog with an absolutely massive dick does anyone want to see it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

anyway i also saw a tweet of a dog with an absolutely massive dick does anyone want to see it

You already posted the brown moses tweet WAHEYYYYYYYYY

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jose posted:

Alright James Dellingpole, calm down

^ lmao

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I played the original dragon age after neverwinter nights so I was just sad that they turned my cool ridiculously comprehensive dnd 3.5 simulation into a weird edgy thing with simplified mechanics and some really loving :stare: plot points and I stopped playing it about three quarters of the way through because I just hated it.
I liked how right before the end of NWN's support cycle, the devs released the endless dungeon mod that let you start at level 5 and then gave you a random map generator to go insane with. It looks like poo poo going back to it now and they don't have tieflings, but it was amazing for its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I liked how right before the end of NWN's support cycle, the devs released the endless dungeon mod that let you start at level 5 and then gave you a random map generator to go insane with. It looks like poo poo going back to it now and they don't have tieflings, but it was amazing for its time.

I'm sure by the end of hordes of the underdark they must have basically added several sourcebooks worth of content to the game, the amount of poo poo there was to pick from in that was genuinely incredible.

Also casting IGMS still looks pretty cool.

Also the ability to take your character online, do stuff there, and bring all your loot and poo poo back with you to the campaign, or any other campaign, was genuinely incredible.