Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jhen Mohran too, though that's partially a spectacle thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never fought it but that Dragon with the jet engine wings is pretty cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

what's everyone's favourites mons to hun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

hatty posted:

I’ve never fought it but that Dragon with the jet engine wings is pretty cool.

It's a nightmare. Other monsters there are areas around them that are safe. Like, you can stand close enough to it to hit it but it can't you without repositioning itself. Not the Valstrax. It can attack in any direction. you have to get super good at reading all its tells because you have so little warning. And when it flies high up in the air, it can shoot down at you on it's jet engine wings faster than you can move the camera to see where it is.

Absolute insane fight, but so amazing when you finally loving kill it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Valstrax is absurdly cool.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder if there will ever be a turn-based tactics game that didn't boil down to managing traffic jams at doorways

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a turn-based tactics game that didn't boil down to managing traffic jams at doorways

Most Advance Wars maps.

That's why they'll never give us another Advance Wars. They're too good for our sin-cursed world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even advance wars had its share of bridge funneling

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

most of them that aren't fire emblem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

play some phantom brave or yggdra union or daisenryaku vii exceed and get back to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess my TBT experience is limited to XCOM (both old and new) which also had that foible.

Oh and FFT, that didn't really have chokepoints as a major thing I think?

I haven't played Advance Wars but I did do Wargroove and that totally had bottlenecks at bridges and castles every other map

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Into the breach?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

someday there'll be another shot at MH-but-in-space...
lost planet 2?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Lost planet 2 will be ten years old in April

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve started Dragon’s Dogma. I’ve heard it can be pretty grueling at times. Any tips/advice is appreciated.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is basically just Saga Scarlet Grace

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Animals posted:

I’ve started Dragon’s Dogma. I’ve heard it can be pretty grueling at times. Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Wolves ill like fire

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

Me, ShallNoiseUpon and Awesome Animals really enjoyed the Legiana fight (I think we all did anyway).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess my TBT experience is limited to XCOM (both old and new) which also had that foible.

Oh and FFT, that didn't really have chokepoints as a major thing I think?

I haven't played Advance Wars but I did do Wargroove and that totally had bottlenecks at bridges and castles every other map

play Warhammer: Mechanicus

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Awesome Animals posted:

If you travel away from the main path (and side quests kind of encourage this) there is one group of regular looking bandits who are actually over levelled, so if they gently caress you up don't be afraid to run past them.

Also don't fret about doing every side quest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I have the biggest urge to replay Dead Space but my ps3 is broke :mad:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make it whole again

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Also don't fret about doing every side quest.

on the other hand if you're the type who likes to get 100% sidequest completion there are lots of missable sidequests. look up a spoiler free guide to see when youre ok to continue the plot. though i prefer doing that in new game plus.

make sure you post pictures of your pawn

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

theres lots of generic kill x number of monster sidequests and similar. those are endless, dont worry about going out of your way to complete those

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna put everything I'm playing on hold for a bit and see what this Sonic and Mario at the Tokyo Games is all about

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Kinda basic but I love T. Rexes so I'm a big fan of Anjanath. Whenever I have to jump into the game after a hiatus he's my tune-up monster.

Also missed weapon chat but I used to use charge blade but got kinda tired of what felt like going through the motions of each step. Switched to hammer which is a lot simpler and scrappier. Let's me focus on the fight more.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just hope they do a master rank version of the wyvern ignition GS, that sword is cool as gently caress...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rocket sword!!
https://gfycat.com/IlliterateGrouchyBarnowl

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Great Swords are super duper dope but I can’t imagine having it be your main weapon if you’re going into a monster hunt blind

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't speak from experience but from what i researched it sounded like the long sword had a) a gajillion iframes and b) moves that increase your attack power for using iframes and then c) moves that let you do super damage for successfully doing a) and b) and also they're gigantic katanas for weeaboos to use and so i hate them

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Imagine playing videos game with a goal in mind other than indulging your most stupid, nonsense, OP weeb fantasies?

hosed up if true

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

every alternative I've experienced is far worse

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Great Swords are super duper dope but I can’t imagine having it be your main weapon if you’re going into a monster hunt blind
its not that big a deal, you have to be a little conservative until you find your windows but GS has pretty good mobility and for being a button you should never press on GS normally, a pretty decent guard when you need it

but also i've been playing monster hunter for like 12 years so maybe that kinda colors my experiences. there's a lot of overlap for most of the monsters so outside of elders and truly weird non-wyvern poo poo i'm rarely surprised anymore. once you've fought one wyvern and can spot the hipcheck and the spin you've fought them all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Imagine playing videos game with a goal in mind other than indulging your most stupid, nonsense, OP weeb fantasies?

hosed up if true
i play games to learn about the game designer's fantasies

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Speaking of not using things: I played all of Bioshock Infinite not realizing you could hold Q down to bring up the powers wheel and thought you could only have two at a time and so I skipped most of the injections...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the worst part of world tbh is the fact that they had to remake so much of the game from scratch, and of course they had to start with the most iconic monsters cause you can't really make a monhun without a rathalos and a diablos (and of course obligatory prey and kut-ku analogs), so its disproportionately skewed towards flying wyverns and brute wyverns

the 4th gen games, now they had some truly wild poo poo. aforementioned nibelsnarf, giant snake monsters, insect queen and her royal guard, giant frog, multiple gross leech monsters, poop monkey, brachydios (latter two of which have thankfully returned in iceborne)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1204847519420878856?s=20

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh yeah, forgot about the monster that is just a Magic Owl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

homeless snail posted:

oh yeah, forgot about the monster that is just a Magic Owl

hate that owl