Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah as bummed as I am about the pacing of it all that cut - along with a few of the others where they'd actually let the characters loving fight each other for more than a couple of frames - was rad as poo poo. Deku blasting Overhaul out of his JRPG Final Boss form would have been a stand-up-and-cheer moment if I had just liked the buildup more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
As someone that didn't like the Overhaul arc at all in the manga, I appreciate that they got through it in a timely manner and am happy with the way the arc worked out. Initially I was worried it would take them like 20 episodes to get to this point just based on the amount of chapters they adapted per episode in previous seasons.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they pointed out that it feels both too short and too long.
They kind of spend a good amount of time setting it up, but then have to speed through things in order to wrap it up because there's so many goddamn fights and it's too action heavy and it both feels like too much and too little.
And even with some spectacular animation put in here and there, people find plenty of room to complain, since there's just way too much fighting that would require better and more extensive choreography and a lot of work. More than the lackluster and confusing story boarding and example of the manga could even provide a good outline for, since Horikoshi was doing badly health wise on top of his existing issues with complicated readable fights. I don't think they could've reasonably turned the turd that was the Overhaul arc into something amazing without a more loose adaptation or rewriting parts of it.
It does have some strong moments, however.

I don't really mind the flashback interruptions, but it's apparent that at this point in the manga they just wanted to wrap things up and fully establish what Overhauls deal was anyways before doing so.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
I'm not sure how it played out in the manga, but I think it would have been better if the flashbacks explaining Overhaul's past and his reasoning for exploiting Eri were saved for next episode or something, to give us viewers something to on last bit of info to chew on before he's put out to pasture. Then they could use the free time to really go hog-wild on that fight. As it stands I still think it's the best episode of the season so far, but it isn't anywhere near the likes of Deku vs. Todoroki or All Might vs. All For One was.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

At the very least, I'm glad that they were willing to experiment beyond "standard triumphant shounen" with the score.

However, it's kind of a sudden thing to do that's obviously throwing everyone off, myself included.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Zwiebel posted:

As someone that didn't like the Overhaul arc at all in the manga, I appreciate that they got through it in a timely manner and am happy with the way the arc worked out. Initially I was worried it would take them like 20 episodes to get to this point just based on the amount of chapters they adapted per episode in previous seasons.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they pointed out that it feels both too short and too long.
They kind of spend a good amount of time setting it up, but then have to speed through things in order to wrap it up because there's so many goddamn fights and it's too action heavy and it both feels like too much and too little.
And even with some spectacular animation put in here and there, people find plenty of room to complain, since there's just way too much fighting that would require better and more extensive choreography and a lot of work. More than the lackluster and confusing story boarding and example of the manga could even provide a good outline for, since Horikoshi was doing badly health wise on top of his existing issues with complicated readable fights. I don't think they could've reasonably turned the turd that was the Overhaul arc into something amazing without a more loose adaptation or rewriting parts of it.
It does have some strong moments, however.

I don't really mind the flashback interruptions, but it's apparent that at this point in the manga they just wanted to wrap things up and fully establish what Overhauls deal was anyways before doing so.

I remember it being said that this whole arc feels like a shonen "filler" movie being adapted into the series proper. Makes me wonder if the arc can be edited into an actual movie and how that'd turn out.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Just checked Twitter and it seems #Deku is trending right now. Regardless of the problems the episode had people are still getting hyped as all hell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The best thing about this is that we got a glimpse of what is at the end of the training for Deku. It was wonderful to see it in all of its DBZ super saiyan 2 form.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The best thing about this is that we got a glimpse of what is at the end of the training for Deku. It was wonderful to see it in all of its DBZ super saiyan 2 form.

Someone needs to re-edit that scene with Gohan's SS2 music.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's kind of funny that Nighteye somehow saw Deku lose this fight considering what an absolute murder-stomp it turned out to be. Vengeful God Deku is the scariest thing in the show so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember it being said that this whole arc feels like a shonen "filler" movie being adapted into the series proper. Makes me wonder if the arc can be edited into an actual movie and how that'd turn out.
It really does, especially with the "awesome super-powered form that can only be accessed under extremely specific circumstances" climax.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Is Midoriya's super-strength just kind of accepted as having no upper limit by everyone now? Is there not going going to be anyone next episode who asks how Deku was able to kick the air so hard it exploded?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Is Midoriya's super-strength just kind of accepted as having no upper limit by everyone now? Is there not going going to be anyone next episode who asks how Deku was able to kick the air so hard it exploded?

People were able to tell he had tremendous power just by his flicks.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I mean he was on tv doing his wild poo poo already

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Everyone knew he could do this sort of stuff. The problem was that he couldn't do it without turning his arms and legs into bloody meat tubes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Not Keyser Soze posted:

They already saw him do that kind of stuff back when he was breaking his bones with every use. Him being able to output that much power isn't all that surprising.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Not Keyser Soze posted:

The people in Deku's life who aren't already in on the secret of One For All seem remarkably uncurious about the exact nature of his quirk. That journalist from earlier in the season and Todoroki are the only ones I remember prodding him about it at all since he entered UA.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nephthys posted:

It's kind of funny that Nighteye somehow saw Deku lose this fight considering what an absolute murder-stomp it turned out to be. Vengeful God Deku is the scariest thing in the show so far.

I assume Nighteye couldn't see the 100% form or didn't see him calling Eri's quirk a blessing and exploiting his invulnerability.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So the music that plays right before Deku kicks up outta there is You Say Run with vocals right?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

So the music that plays right before Deku kicks up outta there is You Say Run with vocals right?

Yep

Also, the reason they used AfO's theme for Deku when he was beating the poo poo out Chisaki is because that's what All Might in his prime was for villains. As terrifying (more terrifying, in fact) than AfO when he showed up last season. That's why groups like the Hissaikai were torn down. That's why crime was steadily plummeting. Because that's what anyone who stepped a toe out of line had to contend with.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nephthys posted:

Maybe future-sight can't account for the effects of Eri's Rewinding quirk?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Anshu posted:

That, or it's just SHONEN WILLPOWER at it again.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Anshu posted:

I was also thinking it could be this, but it's probably JoJo F A T E powers.

I also loved the episode, SSJ Deku was awesome and I think that power plus time and ingenuity will lead to cool stuff.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Uh, I though it was pretty obvious that the point is that Eri's rewinding, by its nature changing the flow of time, is a direct answer to Nighteye's determinism of "the timeline I see is unchangeable".

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
yeah nighteye's time vision probably doesn't see when time goes back the other way, even if it's just for one person

edit: the simple act of Deku being alive now, though, gives hope that Nighteye's vision for All Might was from a timeline with a dead Deku, and now we're off-roading this mother

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope Eri will at least be able to fix colostomy bag All Might.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On the whole, I liked this episode a lot more than I thought I would. The only part that really gave me pause was that random insert song in the middle.

Anshu posted:

Yeah, this is what I think it is, and it makes this feel even more like an undisputed victory for Eri specifically, more than anyone else.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

How the heck is Nighteye alive?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Big chunk of rock is keeping his poo poo in check for now, I guess?

Full insert song. Pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jf_Z68c4LQ

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

How the heck is Nighteye alive?

I get the feeling he won't be for very long

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As far as songs go does anybody else feel like the Red Riot Theme is channeling Kill La Kill's synths for the less orchestral parts?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

The lyrics are a bit awkward but the performance is great and I honestly can't get enough of the You Say Run leitmotif, it's just so thematically perfect.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The most recent episode made me cry. Eri is my new favorite and I hope she doesn't disappear after this arc. I do wish we'd gotten more from Uravity and Froppy's crew. It bothered me a lot that we had some great female characters around who... got to be unceremoniously shoved offscreen together for the majority of the arc. I was very excited when they showed up at the end of last episode, but then it didn't go anywhere.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The most recent episode made me cry. Eri is my new favorite and I hope she doesn't disappear after this arc. I do wish we'd gotten more from Uravity and Froppy's crew. It bothered me a lot that we had some great female characters around who... got to be unceremoniously shoved offscreen together for the majority of the arc. I was very excited when they showed up at the end of last episode, but then it didn't go anywhere.

Yeah this is one of things I was wishing they would fix. It sucks because like someone posted a while back one of the big three didn't get their moment to shine and it wasn't either of the guys.

I like the insert song and it surprised me that it was sung in english. Dr. Stone also had english insert songs and I'm wondering if there is reason for it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Was extremely satisfying seeing Deku with Dad Might's eyes

Also drat kid, you scary - it only took you a few moments to figure out the basics of Eri's quirk and realize that using OfA at 100% could offset it - even if temporarily since Eri's was growing stronger the more use she used her Quirk

Deku wins once again by destroying his body faster than it can be repaired!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

On one hand, this arc is already pretty fight heavy and probably didn't need another big fight scene, but on the other hand, it sucks to see the girls sidelines like that. At least Toga got to be cool.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah this is one of things I was wishing they would fix. It sucks because like someone posted a while back one of the big three didn't get their moment to shine and it wasn't either of the guys.

Did she get a moment in the manga that was cut here, or did she just not get one?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Did she get a moment in the manga that was cut here, or did she just not get one?

The hope was that they would add a fight moment for the girls.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Nope!

From what I can tell, a general rule of thumb is if any girl that isn't Toga gets a big fight scene in the anime, it's probably filler.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now that I know her power it seems kinda lame, less creative than what the boys have, and also I'm not sure how effective it is?

So she uses her life force to shoot laser spirals? Does that mean her power is slowly killing her? And the power she's getting out of it doesn't seem terribly effective against "a really big dude." I don't get it, what sets her apart from the normal students at UA and puts her on level with "horrifying shapeshifting chimera monstrosity" and "real life speedrunning glitches?" Really disappointing unless they give her a big show off fight later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
According to the wiki, it uses stamina rather than life energy, so that might've just been a weird subtitle. I guess it's sort of like Fat Gum's ability in that it can be a devastating attack if enough energy is put into it, but it also leaves her completely burnt out afterwards.

That being said, it's definitely less impressive than Amajiki or Mirio's abilities.