Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
New filings:

Proceedings: TELEPHONIC STATUS COPNFERENCE
The cause is called and counsel state their appearance. The Court and counsel confer.

The other documents I cannot access.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
we get to see those redacted areas now I think

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry but the Mole is not ready yet.

quote:

>I asked about that in another thread to see if they said when they’ll revisit the MOLE. Would at least like for the picnic table in the quarters to be usable.

>Wait wait, the picnic table doesn't work? I assumed it did...

>It actually was a selling point for me.

Priorities! (Of course, nothing else works but this is what some care about)

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

TheAgent posted:

we get to see those redacted areas now I think
Crytek is going to file again, with no redactions but that filing will be sealed and no one but the judge gets to see what is unredacted. Kind of sounds like their original filing was redacted and the judge couldn't see what it said either.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"[img posted:

https://i.somethingawful.com/u/adminuploads/avatars/yarg.gif[/img]"]It actually was a selling point for me.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Those are the worst meeting minutes ever

'Some people had a chat'

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

We have dismissed that claim.

But seriously this guy is typing out huge essays in defense of the roadmap on spectrum for these complaint posts, wtf.

Obviously an amateur. Joe Blobbers just has a copy/paste template.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Decent roadmap rant over on Spectrum:

Looks like 2020 is going to be a "transition" year, like 2019...

Lots of grumpy pitchforks, but some powerful arguments against too...

You just need to be more positive

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

New filings:

The cause is called and counsel state their appearance. The Court and counsel confer.

I'm curious. Is accessing court documents pay to win? I mean, some things are open to the public, but if you want the juicy stuff you need to pay for Pacer?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm curious. Is accessing court documents pay to win?
:psyduck: Why would you phrase it this way

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beamed posted:

Because i'm a bad person?

In other news...

quote:

Probably the "Big Bang" will be server mashing

loving hell, they now need potatoes to make the networking work!

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Beamed posted:

Technically he's not wrong about the justice system (in most situations). :v:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quavers posted:

New filings:

So only the judge gets to see the new unredacted portions where it is assumed CIG is flat out saying they aren't even developing Squadron 42 anymore.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pixelate posted:

Decent roadmap rant over on Spectrum:

Looks like 2020 is going to be a "transition" year, like 2019...

Lots of grumpy pitchforks, but some powerful arguments against too...

Wait til they get the Squadron update. That should turn things around.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Once the roadmap pipelines are in place, you'll see that development pace really ramps up!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

More spectrum posts

:shepspends: [Concern] The Long Game--An Appeal for Patience
So it's like this from my perspective: It's going to be a long haul, might as well find some patience (which point @GreySix gets, in his gently mocking way).
As I read the forums, it seems like a fair number of posters lately are giving vent to despair, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Maybe they've idealized the project in the past. Now this thing that excited them and was going to be so cool is now the source of their misery. Or they're tired of waiting (like @shoei below seems to indicate) . Or they've put too much weight on Chris Roberts's aspirational statements. Or they're disillusioned by it not being what they wanted. Or there's some other factor--whatever it is.
Putting together and pulling off Squadron 42 and Star Citizen with a modified version of an old game engine (which has since been updated as @Damiv notes below) is daunting. If you're trying to achieve something reaching, visionary, and complex, it needs to be worth it--and I'm not just talking money. You'd hope to be inspired by your customers and fans. You'd hope to get well reasoned discourse about what would be nice to see, about how what's there is good or not so good, in the form of good constructive feedback and criticism (Like @BFalcon suggests below, and @Ruanuku argues is needful to prevent the project from becoming mediocre).
I wouldn't be satisfied with Star Citizen as it is right now, even if everything that's represented at present worked flawlessly. And yet, there have been plenty of games put out that wouldn't match such an achievement: A space combat, mining, trading, and light adventure multiplayer game that looks gorgeous (mostly). If you've gamed at all you've almost certainly wasted time on some absolute tripe.
Sure, I have worries about where SC is going, and I have some dis-satisfactions. My main concern isn't that Chris Roberts and CIG are taking too long. My main concern is that under the weight of increasing pressure, he'll compromise and settle. I hope for this be something awesome. If where we're at right now is the product of mismanagement--which seems to be the common thread of a lot of the complaint posts I see--then I'd hope for an internal reckoning. But rushing to failure seems like a worse result.
Chris Roberts is trying to do something different, and it's got the possibility of being innovative and revolutionary. This is going to take time. And I don't mean a little time. It's been years so far and it'll be years yet to come. Some of us will not be alive to enjoy this game--that's just a statistical fact. And it'll be a work in progress even when released. And that has to be okay. I would urge some forbearance and some patience. And I don't mean tolerate it. I mean, if Star Citizen is so important that it not being out NOW riles you up, then find some other things to keep you happy so that Star Citizen isn't so important.
And if you can't find something else to satisfy you--(EDIT: if you can't find a space sim that meets your needs like Star Citizen might)--then doesn't that suggest that you ought to be patient and hope that what comes of all this is worth the wait?
If you made it here, having read this, thanks.
EDIT: Turds or disagreement notwithstanding, you must wait. Suffer or don't.

:saddowns: The only problem is that i read the same post as yours in 2016, in 2018, now in 2020, and you could probably copy past it in 2022 or 2024.

:shepspends: You all need to lighten up
The community has been bashing CIG lately about content/performance. I do understand the performance part since 3.8 was a bit of a step back because it was obviously rushed. But at the same time, it was the first iteration of SOCS which for me, immediately fixed frame rate issues. Server issues are still there, I won't be denying that. But remember to give credit where it's due.
As for content, you all need to realize that a very very VERY large portion of the game's content is being held back from us to avoid spoiling anything in SQ42. (Multiple star systems being part of that content) So keep that in mind before you decide to post the next "CIG is doing nothing, development is slow" thread. It's been very slow in the PU for the past 3 years yes. But expect quicker development soon, now that all of the tools are FINALLY falling into place.
EDIT: Doesn't help the devs when everyone is breathing down their neck saying "You guys better finish this right the FIRST time or we're gonna be so so mad!"

:saddowns: Bashing for performance? Nah that didnt happen in ages, only for gamebreaking bugs like 30k
Bashing for content? Uhm yeah considering that full stanton has been promised for dec 2016......
But what worries me the most is complete lack of gameplay mechanics and the state of the fligthmodel
Content is being hold back? Uhm ok bro, I guess they were already done in 2016 with stanton but were holding back on it until now (and the future), I see
Expect quicker development soon NOW that TOOLS are in place?
Same old story.... every year the same

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: Is the Lore of SC linked with Cyberpunk Universe?
So i watched recently the Cyberpunk trailer again and i saw something familiar... What u guys think? Wouldnt it be so drat cool if this is true? I mean i know its not but immagine microtech was estabishled 2077 already and manufactured revolutionary HuD tech like the MobiGlass is in the future! :D

:mad: No.

:reddit: No what? No that it is not (we all know its not) or no it would not be cool?

:argh: No, it's not linked, no, it wouldn't be cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Star Citizen is those guys in third grade who bought model car kits instead of Transformers, except instead of putting models together they just look through catalogs of things they would one day like to put together

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
In the year 2525
If Chris is still alive
If Erin can survive
They may find...

In the year 3535
Star Citizen at last goes live
Broke commandos everywhere will say
I got murdered by a door today

In the year 4545
Commando B'tak's still alive
His universe will never be the same
Earned an Idris right inside the game

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"My main concern about SC is development going TOO FAST" - a real person.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mendrian posted:

"My main concern about SC is development going TOO FAST" - a real person.

i can't keep up with all of these gameplay improvements!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 12, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Either it'll pay off or it won't!"

That's not how 99% of investments work lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"If I flush a thousand dollars down this toilet, either 2 grand will explode from it or it won't!"

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In what universe is "Penis has a point" a pun

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: An interesting take

:reddit: Difference is Hello games had their dev team from the start and had already released a few games before NMS and the ONLY reason they released it in such an unfinished state was due to Sony
Compared to Chris, who after the Kickstarter in 2012, had to build up multiple teams and then have those teams build everything from scratch, combined with switching off the CryEngine due to it not working well for MMO's and that's why it takes so long
Had Hello Games NOT taken the deal from Sony, they'd probably have either
A. Gone Bankrupt or released it in probably a worse state to get funds
B. Released it in the state it is now with delay after delay so it's a polished game
EDIT: Hello Games also barely communicated while patching the game, there wasn't even a roadmap iirc, it's pointless to compare the two when one dev team actually shows what they're doing and the other just drops off the radar then reappears with an updated product

:reddit: NMS will always have that smell of a horrible launch with false advertising that buyers couldn't ascertain in advance because no one was allowed to play it before the launch. If they had, the potential buyers would have known they were buying sold more than a few tall tales being called a released game. shrug
It's good they kept working on it but don't get a cookie since they needed to fix what they'd lied about to people who purchased it in the first place. How this all plays out for SC remains to be seen.[/i]

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:
"hey give me that arena commander carry"-random
"sorry, i cant help you in star citizen. i uninstalled it because too much of the community is racist"-me

"gently caress you [n-word], noone wants your help"-random

....are you guys loving serious? this is why i wont help any of you assholes ever again.

Trolls love snowflakes and you fed him with pure bliss.

Don’t get effect by a person who wasn’t educated enough.

If you uninstall every game where some racist rear end in a top hat says something or types something racist in chat you're going to be stuck playing single player games mate.

i see racists in every game some people are just childish pricks but this guy needs to understand that its not every one who is racist just because one guy or girl is

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 12, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm curious. Is accessing court documents pay to win? I mean, some things are open to the public, but if you want the juicy stuff you need to pay for Pacer?

PACER is the filings, the really juicy stuff comes with transcripts, and you have to apply and pay for them. Upwards of $300, usually.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I Iove the if you take the time to educate yourself on the development of the game you can see clearly things are going well.

Anyone looking at this criticaly can see nothing makes sense, the promises, the delays, the roadmap, the tools, the pipelines... Nothing lines up ever.

It's almost impossible to tell a chorent story on how it got this point without stepping back and going it's a mega clusterfuck that needs a turn around plan.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 12, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't worry, the next patch is gonna be so good, you'd be a fool NOT to buy in at this point

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

:reddit: NMS will always have that smell of a horrible launch with false advertising that buyers couldn't ascertain in advance because no one was allowed to play it before the launch. If they had, the potential buyers would have known they were buying sold more than a few tall tales being called a released game. shrug
It's good they kept working on it but don't get a cookie since they needed to fix what they'd lied about to people who purchased it in the first place. How this all plays out for SC remains to be seen.

Star Citizen: buying sold more than a few tall tales being called a released game

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I feel so sorry for the newcomers. They already lost so much value by buying in this late.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SC is for adults with expendable income who want to be fully immersed in the most realistic space sim ever.

Which i read, its for man children who have no life, no family, who want to escape reality into a space based mil sim that is most certainly not the most realistic space sim ever due to how unreleasitic the whole flight model is and how space itself is scaled down massively compared with the real thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Difference is Hello games had their dev team from the start and had already released a few games before NMS and the ONLY reason they released it in such an unfinished state was due to Sony
Compared to Chris, who after the Kickstarter in 2012, had to build up multiple teams and then have those teams build everything from scratch, combined with switching off the CryEngine due to it not working well for MMO's and that's why it takes so long
yeah i think i will compare hello games to chris.

they had their dev team from the start - it was five people, smaller than chris' entire planning team - except also they later expanded their dev team so they didn't.

they had released games before, in a completely different genre with no space sim experience at all unlike chris whose entire funding pitch was based on how many space sim games he'd previously released.

and the only reason they released it in such an unfinished state was due to sony, unlike chris whose game remains both unfinished and unreleased, combined with still being on the cryengine despite it not working well for mmos (ignore the multiple released cryengine mmos)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ghostlight posted:

yeah i think i will compare hello games to chris.

they had their dev team from the start - it was five people, smaller than chris' entire planning team - except also they later expanded their dev team so they didn't.

they had released games before, in a completely different genre with no space sim experience at all unlike chris whose entire funding pitch was based on how many space sim games he'd previously released.

and the only reason they released it in such an unfinished state was due to sony, unlike chris whose game remains both unfinished and unreleased, combined with still being on the cryengine despite it not working well for mmos (ignore the multiple released cryengine mmos)

…I also want to chime in to bring up that the number of space sim games he's previous made is… <drumroll> two. And they're pretty much the same game.

He was involved in a couple more, but not in a way that really made them “made by” him.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tippis posted:

…I also want to chime in to bring up that the number of space sim games he's previous made is… <drumroll> two. And they're pretty much the same game.

He was involved in a couple more, but not in a way that really made them “made by” him.

I presume you are not including Freelancer in that count, since he never finished it. WC 1 and 2 perhaps?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tippis posted:

I'd say the couple more games were made despite his involvement.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hello Games risked their own money on making No Man Sky, and worked with a publisher (Sony) to fund it.

They did not ask for other people's money in a strange pre-order/pledge/pyramid scheme that has under delivered and missed all it's deadlines and only really resulted in themselves enriching themselves and getting to play director/actress.

Then again, I don't understand game development*

* Which I suspect I have in common with Chris Roberts.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Also Hello Games has creativity, which Chris "I'm paying homage" Roberts clearly does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And they, along with Frontier Developments, seem to be able to manage, not mismanaging, projects.

But that may not be important to making computer games - especially PC saving, AAAA, best dam space sim ever type games.