Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
All my models can chip fairly easily, but I think that’s more of a factor from using acrylic paints over anything else. They are all safe to handle but it doesn’t take much if I really want to scratch the paint off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Veotax posted:

It might be able to? It looks like I can take off the moisture trap (or whatever it's called) to replace it with one with a regulator.

This is the set that I brought ages back:

I was an idiot and broke the gravity fed brush and the one that feeds from the bottom (not sure what you call that one) was broken out of the box.
The whole set was only like £65 and I got decent use out it for a while, so I'm not too broken up about replacing it all.

The compressors I've been looking at have a second tank on the bottom, what kind of difference does that make? Would it be worth upgrading to one with two tanks?

You could replace the moisture trap with a regulator and that would solve your pressure issue, definitely.

The second tank on the bottom of those air compressor is a storage tank for air, so the compressor isn't constantly running while it's on. This is great for both noise levels and motor longevity, and I'd recommend getting one when you do upgrade your compressor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I bought a Yellow 30MM Portanova. This thing was a really fun build and it's pretty cute for a war machine. The feet and the waist connection are the weakest part but since I plan on bashing it with another kit later it shouldn't be too big a problem. I'm doing some panel lining but I'll put up a pic when I'm done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something of note with the 30MM's is there's a third model coming in April; The Rabiot. Looks to be a blend of the Alto and Portanova, but on the Alto faction's side. There's two accessory armor packs planned, and one is a neat-looking utility mech set with a chest cockpit that looks very Battlemech-esque.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
got a couple portanovas and accessory packs and, oh baby, i wish all bandai kits were arranged and modular like these

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

got a couple portanovas and accessory packs and, oh baby, i wish all bandai kits were arranged and modular like these

But then you wouldn't have moments of searching for the G gate because it's got all the weapon parts and one tiny thruster for the leg that needs to be put in before anything else.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not _quite_ Gundam but I picked up this kit a while ago and finally assembled it over the holiday period:

Was a fun build. I was tempted to paint the yellow parts gold for a more authentic Grimlock look but wasn't sure how well it'd last or if it'd mess up the joint tolerances too much.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a fine-looking Grimlock!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grimlock taking a dump over Daniel Craig I see. Grimlock no like Blond Bond!

Finished panel lining my Portanova.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 12, 2020

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

First build I've ever done. I've been slowly chipping away at this thing for the past couple of weeks. He looks dope as hell and it's fun watching the whole thing come together.

He has shoulderpads as of last night.

Just the back legs and the face plating to go. After that I might see what I can do paint-wise for the whole giant cannon situation. The grey plastic loves to leave big, obvious stress marks.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Goons and Goonettes of the gunpla thread! Best 30MM kitbash by end of March gets a free G40 Gundam 1/144 on me! Seriously I have three of them in my possession cause my wife.... I don’t even know! But she supports me big dumb hobby and some how got three of these. We can sort out determining who has the best later but figured I’d offer this up!

If you all don’t want to go anywhere near it that’s fine but I figured I’d try.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dead Like Rev posted:

Goons and Goonettes of the gunpla thread! Best 30MM kitbash by end of March gets a free G40 Gundam 1/144 on me! Seriously I have three of them in my possession cause my wife.... I don’t even know! But she supports me big dumb hobby and some how got three of these. We can sort out determining who has the best later but figured I’d offer this up!

:horse::horse::horse:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

I dont get it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dead Like Rev posted:

I dont get it

It’s a competition! Such as a horse race. That may have been a better bit in my head.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

It’s a competition! Such as a horse race. That may have been a better bit in my head.

Ahh! In case theres any doubt, this here is sitting on my desk.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Dead Like Rev posted:

Ahh! In case theres any doubt, this here is sitting on my desk.

kinda want to pick this up just so i can make it do jojo poses

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Dead Like Rev posted:

This is a fantastic prize.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kuvo posted:

kinda want to pick this up just so i can make it do jojo poses

You can do other things with it?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The guncatte is good imo. But yeah the plastic is more annoying than bandai plastic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bandai plastic is one of those supermaterials that everyone else fucks up.

Now I'm imagining a world dominated by a Bandai megacorp that makes everything with snap-fit plastic.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Argas posted:

Bandai plastic is one of those supermaterials that everyone else fucks up.

Now I'm imagining a world dominated by a Bandai megacorp that makes everything with snap-fit plastic.

Imagine Warhams with that fit together like Bandai plastic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pyronic posted:

Ikea but injection molded and snap-fit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit. I've had a big raise recently and had completely forgotten about hlj.com. Those Bandai Mecha Collection kits add up faaaaast.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So just started watching gundam build divers and decided I wanted to finally take the plunge and build a gunpla or two. What's the deal with the 30mm models? Would they be good for a beginner? The upgrade kits also kind of confuse me too, are they to change up the model more or just like special gear that doesnt always go on the model?

Sorry if these are kind of dumb questions, I just didnt see anything in the OP about 30mm and they look pretty awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elblanco posted:

So just started watching gundam build divers and decided I wanted to finally take the plunge and build a gunpla or two. What's the deal with the 30mm models? Would they be good for a beginner? The upgrade kits also kind of confuse me too, are they to change up the model more or just like special gear that doesnt always go on the model?

Sorry if these are kind of dumb questions, I just didnt see anything in the OP about 30mm and they look pretty awesome.

30MM are excellent starter kits. The upgrade kits are there for you to mix and match them to make your model into whatever your heart desires, there's no "canon" designs. Gunpla Is Freedom!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elblanco posted:

30MM are excellent for beginners. Easy builds, easily modified.

The upgrade kits swap out parts on the base model for a different look. So if you want to put the sniper head with the commander arms with the legs from the flight pack? Sure! Gunpla is freedom.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Veotax posted:

It might be able to? It looks like I can take off the moisture trap (or whatever it's called) to replace it with one with a regulator.

This is the set that I brought ages back:

I was an idiot and broke the gravity fed brush and the one that feeds from the bottom (not sure what you call that one) was broken out of the box.
The whole set was only like £65 and I got decent use out it for a while, so I'm not too broken up about replacing it all.

The compressors I've been looking at have a second tank on the bottom, what kind of difference does that make? Would it be worth upgrading to one with two tanks?

That's called a siphon feed. They're good for shooting large quantities, like if you were doing body makeup for a costume or prop work. Not so useful for model work, so you didn't miss much.

Dead Like Rev posted:

This is a cool thing for you to do.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Maybe someone can answer me this, the Bandai/Gundam Robot Spirits... Are they just pre-assembled plastic kits? Or uhhh more detail/posability? Whats the deal, I keep staring at the Kampfer one cause Im dumb for big one off grunt suit designs. But its $70 and I just don't get whats different from it or the MG kit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dead Like Rev posted:

Maybe someone can answer me this, the Bandai/Gundam Robot Spirits... Are they just pre-assembled plastic kits? Or uhhh more detail/posability? Whats the deal, I keep staring at the Kampfer one cause Im dumb for big one off grunt suit designs. But its $70 and I just don't get whats different from it or the MG kit.

They're non-scale action figures, and generally come with a lot of accessories to make up for their 1/144-ish size. The MG Kampfer is from 2001 and has the engineering to match so if you want a Kampfer that can put into cool poses then go for the Robot Damashii.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 13, 2020

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

chiasaur11 posted:

30MM are excellent for beginners. Easy builds, easily modified.

The upgrade kits swap out parts on the base model for a different look. So if you want to put the sniper head with the commander arms with the legs from the flight pack? Sure! Gunpla is freedom.

Where can I get the model in your avatar?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

They're non-scale action figures, and generally come with a lot of accessories to make up for their 1/144-ish size. The MG Kampfer is from 2001 and has the engineering to match so if you want a Kampfer that can put into cool poses then go for the Robot Damashii.

The HG Kampfer's probably a decent option for a better price, if the Kampfer Amazing's anything to go by.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pyronic posted:

Im still expecting two dozen P-Bandai chapter variations for their Primaris Marine figure. Paint that poo poo in Imperial Fists livery and I'll spend hundreds to get one.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 13, 2020

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Awesome, already have an idea of which kits I want to grab first. Though apparently the base models don't need to be painted? Do they take primer anyway? I'd like to add on parts to match the whole body.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elblanco posted:

Awesome, already have an idea of which kits I want to grab first. Though apparently the base models don't need to be painted? Do they take primer anyway? I'd like to add on parts to match the whole body.

Paint is entirely optional. Kits look fine out of the box, but if you want to avoid stickers, make things look nicer, or just change the colors, you can prime and paint like anything else. Just be careful around the pegs since too much paint can hurt the tolerances at tight fitting parts.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Elblanco posted:

I've found Tamiya rattle cans work fine on un-primed models. But airbrushing absolutely requires priming to work. And this applies to every bandai model, at least that I can think of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That could be an issue with 30mm mission kits of my Portanova is anything to go by. It's bicep swivel joint is incredibly tight.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Paint is entirely optional. Kits look fine out of the box, but if you want to avoid stickers, make things look nicer, or just change the colors, you can prime and paint like anything else. Just be careful around the pegs since too much paint can hurt the tolerances at tight fitting parts.

Just a note that you can easily take excess paint off of joints/pegs with a q-tip and a bit of IPA.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I found a store a few minutes away that sells gunpla, so I might drive over there tomorrow on my day off to see what they have and put together a possible shopping list. I'm going on vacation next week, so I'm trying to save a bit of spending money and might hold off until February.

How much can I kitbash the 30MM? Like could I put a Portanova's arms on an Alto frame?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I found a store a few minutes away that sells gunpla, so I might drive over there tomorrow on my day off to see what they have and put together a possible shopping list. I'm going on vacation next week, so I'm trying to save a bit of spending money and might hold off until February.

How much can I kitbash the 30MM? Like could I put a Portanova's arms on an Alto frame?

Yes, all the joints are compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sazabi posted:

I've found Tamiya rattle cans work fine on un-primed models. But airbrushing absolutely requires priming to work. And this applies to every bandai model, at least that I can think of.

Do acrylic paints work alright? I've got a bunch of citadel paints for my warhammer stuff and I don't own an airbrush.