Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
that was a bug from some time ago, but this happens in the initial file creation so i assume your file was just one of those made when the bug was active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Quite possibly! Good to know that one's been fixed.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Posting for goon role on NGU. Great game man. Shamt in discord.

Onion Rings fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 12, 2020

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
posting for NGU Goon role. Yeehaw.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
eh might as well too. in the discord

ed thanks

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 12, 2020

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to Maxx my Yellow Heart and I have 200k AP, should I buy another heart or buy an additional accessory slot? I have four slots atm.

For context I am currently waiting for my ring of apathy to get high enough level to kill that titan and can barely manually kill bosses in the beardverse (but I can only get my drop rate on the equipment up to like 3.4% so I've only managed to get one drop so far). A digger slot would help with that as I currently need one on Adventure Stats just to survive there but I can buy that second digger with exp once I save up for a day or two.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 12, 2020

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Hmm, is this screen supposed to show daycare speed upgrades? I've got bonuses from PP and challenges (and maybe a few more things, I dunno?) but this tab has always said just this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr. Peepers posted:

Hmm, is this screen supposed to show daycare speed upgrades? I've got bonuses from PP and challenges (and maybe a few more things, I dunno?) but this tab has always said just this.

speed is different then happiness

speed is the absolute cap reduction and that's what you get from the normal challenges/perks/AP speed boost

Happiness is the multiplicative bonus applied afterwards, but the only happiness thing pre evil is the daycare digger

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

speed is different then happiness

speed is the absolute cap reduction and that's what you get from the normal challenges/perks/AP speed boost

Happiness is the multiplicative bonus applied afterwards, but the only happiness thing pre evil is the daycare digger

Ah, right you are. Hey something, could speed get added to that page as well?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any way to buy energy/magic speed in bulk? It’s so many levels between actually making a difference that I basically avoid it at all costs since I can only by one point at a time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there any way to buy energy/magic speed in bulk? It’s so many levels between actually making a difference that I basically avoid it at all costs since I can only by one point at a time.

Max level is 50, then you're done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Max level is 50, then you're done.

Good to know, but it would be awesome if I could just buy the rest in one click or whatever. Oh well, I’ll just finish it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm about to Maxx my Yellow Heart and I have 200k AP, should I buy another heart or buy an additional accessory slot? I have four slots atm.

For context I am currently waiting for my ring of apathy to get high enough level to kill that titan and can barely manually kill bosses in the beardverse (but I can only get my drop rate on the equipment up to like 3.4% so I've only managed to get one drop so far). A digger slot would help with that as I currently need one on Adventure Stats just to survive there but I can buy that second digger with exp once I save up for a day or two.

I'd go with a Red Heart first, the 10% extra XP is nice and you'll really want that drop chance in the near future.

Relatively soon-ish you'll be able to knock out the easy challenges and put a dent in the harder ones like no rebirth, and that's a big boost of AP. That's about the time I picked up some extra accessory slots.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, is there anyway to get informed of when the Evil adventure areas open up? I already knew when Evilverse did from seeing it on the wiki by accident a while back, but at some point I did get PPPL unlocked. I just didn't know until like right now because the Boss Fight logs don't tell you when it happens. Just kinda have to know or learn by accident it feels like :v:

Granted my Adventure stats aren't high enough to handle it yet, but still.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i minimised the game and went out for the day. While that happened my laptop went into sleep mode.

It might be an obvious one, but does the game think it's been offline during that time? It's just that some of my bars don't seem to have progressed at all, like my fruits.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 12, 2020

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
sleep mode = basically stop running programs, so yeah.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You do not get offline progress in ngu when your computer is in sleep mode. It basically pauses everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Fool posted:

You do not get offline progress in ngu when your computer is in sleep mode. It basically pauses everything.

I have a theory that doing a hard shutdown and restart instead of waking it from sleep would give you offline progress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You get offline progress based on the save you loaded - once it goes to sleep it's not also saving online anymore, so you can 'reclaim' that lost progress by loading your online save once you get back in.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ghostlight posted:

You get offline progress based on the save you loaded - once it goes to sleep it's not also saving online anymore, so you can 'reclaim' that lost progress by loading your online save once you get back in.

Better catch it before it does an autosave, because it won’t prompt you to load a save when you wake the computer, it’ll just pick up where it was when it fell asleep

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

something posted:

Got some feedback from steam forums, so i took another crack at the ui layout:

ignore the randomly placed spawn button -it won't exist in the real build.

I agree with the colors being a bit difficult to read.

What are we looking at in the screenshot though?
The 5x5 grid are cards that are available to cast, the gold circle how many you have, the grey square its mana cost, the % how much increase it gives to the relevant stat and the colored text their rarity?

The text at the top, "I'd Tap That", isn't that exactly what M:TG has trademarked? Tapping cards?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tapping cards was patented, which means it specifically has to be taking place in the same context as MTG tapping to count (ie: to demonstrate the activation of a card ability exhausting the card) and because it was a patent it's since expired and now anyone can use tapping in their games.

"Tapping" as a phrase referring to the mechanic is trademarked along with its 'T' symbol, but the word is now almost certainly genericised, and probably entirely unenforceable against a single line pun without any connection to actual game mechanics. IANAL

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

I agree with the colors being a bit difficult to read.

What are we looking at in the screenshot though?
The 5x5 grid are cards that are available to cast, the gold circle how many you have, the grey square its mana cost, the % how much increase it gives to the relevant stat and the colored text their rarity?

The text at the top, "I'd Tap That", isn't that exactly what M:TG has trademarked? Tapping cards?

Not quite. The big card is the currently selected card, with the full info. The small card pod with the blue corner bits is the same as the big card.

The gold circle is the Tier of the card (something you'll upgrade to make the cards give more stats). The squarish icons are each of the different mana costs. The grey square in the smaller pods is the total mana cost for each card, AKA the sum of the individual costs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

So there's not a lot there at the moment, but I have to say the presentation for Bureaucrats & Barbarians is top notch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghostlight posted:

So there's not a lot there at the moment, but I have to say the presentation for Bureaucrats & Barbarians is top notch.
This owns, but I'm stalling hard at the $1m mark. Just no way to make enough money to buy more packs and my first few Amateur packs gave me a bunch of stuff that... doesn't seem to make any more money than my existing engine, plus stuff I can never afford the Antiques costs for.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ghostlight posted:

This seems interesting but also seems like there's maybe a day of play time. It does claim to be alpha though and seems to have an excellent core. Is the dev posting plans anywhere or is this the only communication channel?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This owns, but I'm stalling hard at the $1m mark. Just no way to make enough money to buy more packs and my first few Amateur packs gave me a bunch of stuff that... doesn't seem to make any more money than my existing engine, plus stuff I can never afford the Antiques costs for.

There's card rarity, each card pack has a rare that is really really really good. Also experiment, you want to increase your stack and deck size and basically run max size stacks unless the card is rare. You get a refund when you deactive card so don't worry about playing with stuff.

The trick with going to the next pack of cards is to learn something new. For the second you want to start looking at the more global bonuses and start figuring out what they do. The "stats" screen explains most of them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

There's card rarity, each card pack has a rare that is really really really good. Also experiment, you want to increase your stack and deck size and basically run max size stacks unless the card is rare. You get a refund when you deactive card so don't worry about playing with stuff.

The trick with going to the next pack of cards is to learn something new. For the second you want to start looking at the more global bonuses and start figuring out what they do. The "stats" screen explains most of them.
Yeah, I'm short on ceremonial arrowheads but running as many of them and the +max spaces as I can, it's just the money loop I'm short on - the issue is being able to sell all my antiquities, basically. At some point I should switch Market Strategist for Lost Transport but I have 12 copies of the former and only 3 of the latter so it's not cost-effective yet, and all my slots are taken up by passives (2 arrowheads, smoke break, 3 +slot cards, aggressive marketing, door-to-door salesman, then massive archaeological dig and market strategist are the only two doing any actual "profit" beyond the door-to-door which is a rounding error) so it's also not worth it to just swap them in.

edit: although finally opening another Safe Space after spending 1.8 million on a starter pack, getting me to the 11th card slot to just run the Transports, is helping

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 13, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Simulated cardwear and no sleeving options, this is anxiety-inducing. :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

Simulated cardwear and no sleeving options, this is anxiety-inducing. :v:
You can turn it off under options, but also it's hilarious

(and you can mitigate it with the guy that mitigates it)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Yeah I know, it's just funny they put it in and are hinting that eventually it might have a mechanic effect.

Shoutout to all the peeps who never sleeve cards and end up with congealed decks, always fun to see them trying to shuffle those.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I'm short on ceremonial arrowheads but running as many of them and the +max spaces as I can, it's just the money loop I'm short on - the issue is being able to sell all my antiquities, basically. At some point I should switch Market Strategist for Lost Transport but I have 12 copies of the former and only 3 of the latter so it's not cost-effective yet, and all my slots are taken up by passives (2 arrowheads, smoke break, 3 +slot cards, aggressive marketing, door-to-door salesman, then massive archaeological dig and market strategist are the only two doing any actual "profit" beyond the door-to-door which is a rounding error) so it's also not worth it to just swap them in.

edit: although finally opening another Safe Space after spending 1.8 million on a starter pack, getting me to the 11th card slot to just run the Transports, is helping

You only want to run arrowheads when you buy cards I'm at 8 stacks of 8 and just at the 1m cost per the 2nd booster.

The increase sale cards increase how much you sell artifacts for, like a lot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

You only want to run arrowheads when you buy cards I'm at 8 stacks of 8 and just at the 1m cost per the 2nd booster.

The increase sale cards increase how much you sell artifacts for, like a lot.
Arrowheads also have +50%/+100% sales bonus on them, they're outweighing any other passives I have at the moment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Arrowheads also have +50%/+100% sales bonus on them, they're outweighing any other passives I have at the moment.

You are missing the really really REALLY important bits on them you swap them right before you buy cards do you see the +1 card and card cost multiplier that is less than 1 so it's a discount? Getting 3 or 4 times the cards per pack makes a massive loving difference. Also all the multipliers stack, lots of cards have stuff like +50% sales bonus that are really easy to get 20 copies of.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Really though what you need to progress is Do not have evidence (red currency) building, when it reaches 1,000 it resets and fines you 10x your total. If this is anything but 0 you are going to get burned. It is designed to indicate less than legal activities such as insurance fraud. You need to off set this with something like a paper shredder. You don't want to increase your antiques more than you can sell, you want that to be as close to 0 as possible simply because they only exist to sell. You could stock pile them and sell them later like stock pile overnight or whatever but there isn't much of a point with only 3 booster types the game is under 8 hours in content

hover over the income number after the green currency icon, this will tell you if you get a bonus from insurance or sales

Getting from 100k to 1m was mostly just letting it sit for a few hours because I had to do stuff not at a computer. My setup was just run sales because I didn't have anything that was insurance fraud items. Getting from 1m to 10m was getting a piracy card and switching to an insurance fraud focus which is letting me mix some sales back in now on my way to 30m booster costs

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

You are missing the really really REALLY important bits on them you swap them right before you buy cards do you see the +1 card and card cost multiplier that is less than 1 so it's a discount? Getting 3 or 4 times the cards per pack makes a massive loving difference. Also all the multipliers stack, lots of cards have stuff like +50% sales bonus that are really easy to get 20 copies of.
Yeah, I know they also make pack purchases better, but their passives are also outweighing everything else I can do pound-for-pound (because they also have higher insurance production multipliers than anything else I've gotten) so it's not a swap in and out situation, they're full-time. That's what I was saying.

And it does look like the real solution is just more time to build up enough cash to get more packs to get more play area passives, so that I can actually commit more insurance fraud. Kind of a shame, there's no real paradigm shift there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, I know they also make pack purchases better, but their passives are also outweighing everything else I can do pound-for-pound (because they also have higher insurance production multipliers than anything else I've gotten) so it's not a swap in and out situation, they're full-time. That's what I was saying.

And it does look like the real solution is just more time to build up enough cash to get more packs to get more play area passives, so that I can actually commit more insurance fraud. Kind of a shame, there's no real paradigm shift there.

There's a lot of RNG I was heavily limited on deck size I only had 8x8 when I first hit 1m, and I hit 1m in booster 1 and 2 costs before I even bought a booster 3. I did a lot of swapping around. The game is still really short (unless something else is going to get throw in my face, I'm going to buy every booster pack since there's a limited number). It's alpha but if anything is hidden it's going to be there.

It's also alpha so it could just be a demo of how things are planned to interact it doesn't seem super balance. The balance is fine enough, but it feels like there's an optimal path and other options. That could also be due to the fact that each card set is also like 6-10 cards total. This is something that could be really interesting in 6 months.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I take it that when i'm able to get an energy level in Wandoos XL in about a second and magic in about 10 that i should start using it over Wandoos Meh?

I get levels on Meh in a fraction of a second so i get up to a several billion % bonus fairly quickly, but i take it that while it takes longer on XP at the minute, over a long run XP is going to completely dwarf Meh?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

This is something that could be really interesting in 6 months.
Yeah, the text on the third pack makes it sound like something should be after it, but maybe this is just all there is. I haven't maxed it out either. But it's promising if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Impressive, Idle Cardchat is somehow more insane-sounding than Idle Wizardchat or even Idle Alchemistchat.