Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I would wait until monster hunter receives a couple patches anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
Kaldaien spent some time updating Special K for Iceborne earlier tonight, this release is the latest and works for me. It might help with at least some of the issues on older computers.

Ideally this is something Capcom would fix but the issues it addresses have apparently been active since launch and worsened with the DLC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azran posted:

Apparently Iceborne has some big performance issues like a memory leak, no idea if it's connected to the anti-cheat but do keep that in mind.

...so what you're saying is that it would make me dropping 32 GB of RAM into my laptop worth it?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 12, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...so what you're saying is that it would make me dropping 32 GB of RAM into my laptop worth it?

No. It's simply poorly coded and there's some stupidly high CPU usage for no reason whatsoever. The game was always pretty poorly optimized on that front, hence why Special K for MH became a thing in the first place, but Iceborne went balls to the wall making it worse by adding constant, useless scanning of the processes related to the game.

You either wait for an official fix, hope that the new versions of Special K don't get you banned or buy a new CPU.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Det_no posted:

No. It's simply poorly coded and there's some stupidly high CPU usage for no reason whatsoever. The game was always pretty poorly optimized on that front, hence why Special K for MH became a thing in the first place, but Iceborne went balls to the wall making it worse by adding constant, useless scanning of the processes related to the game.

You either wait for an official fix, hope that the new versions of Special K don't get you banned or buy a new CPU.

Oh, that’s just bad coding and not a memory leak then.

God, I remember back when a gig of RAM was a lot and some games would never release any memory they took; so you’d have to save, kill them through task manager/kill em all, and reboot them.

E: not being pedantic to be a dick, just saw a LAN party thread and been posting in the DX thread. Also talked about computer upgrades in the unpopular video game opinion thread. It got me nostalgic for the bad old days. Those were fun.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 12, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, that’s just bad coding and not a memory leak then.

God, I remember back when a gig of RAM was a lot and some games would never release any memory they took; so you’d have to save, kill them through task manager/kill em all, and reboot them.

E: not being pedantic to be a dick, just saw a LAN party thread and been posting in the DX thread. Also talked about computer upgrades in the unpopular video game opinion thread. It got me nostalgic for the bad old days. Those were fun.

I only caught the very end of the DOS era, but I’m pretty sure there are people here who will laugh hard at “a gig of RAM”. There will be war stories about spending hours managing their computer memory just to get a game going.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Mierenneuker posted:

I only caught the very end of the DOS era, but I’m pretty sure there are people here who will laugh hard at “a gig of RAM”. There will be war stories about spending hours managing their computer memory just to get a game going.

The struggle to keep enough conventional memory free (that's out of the base 640k for you whippersnappers) to actually get Ultima 7 running while still having drivers running for mouse, soundcard and extended memory. Those where the... no actually thank god I don't have to do that anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh god, are you talking about the boot disc days?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was stoked the day I managed to get enough money together for a metal box the size of a hefty paperback that I could plug into my Amiga 500 to add an extra 512k RAM, literally doubling it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vaginite posted:

I talked poo poo about Pathologic 2 in this thread awhile back but I gave it another go and feel the need to rescind my prior statements.

This game is amazing. It took awhile to "click" but once it did I can't put it down. It's one of the most engaging games I've ever played.

There's nothing I've played that I can think of to even compare it to, it's like Disco Elysium levels of worldbuilding/storytelling combined with the stress level of the RE2 remake segments where Mr. X is chasing you, except its the whole game and you're also starving to death.

And just when you think you have it figured out and you're stable the game ratchets it up over again. Its been a long time since I've played something so frantic, stressful and engaging. It constantly makes you weigh risks and make hard decisions, and pays off big time if you persevere.

This game is fantastic and I feel really bad for making GBS threads all over it prematurely.

One of us! One of us!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a VR games thread?

e: found it a bunch of pages in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OzFactor posted:

I found the Prey thread so I'm posting about it there, but man, I know it gets recommended every time anyone asks for a game of basically any genre, but, like, you should all play Prey. It is exceptional in just about every way. As I get older it's pretty rare for me to even beat a game, and exceedingly more rare for me to beat a game and want to keep playing it or start over and play it again. I'm Mooncrashing right now but I'm really looking forward to starting the regular game over to play less cautiously and inject everything I see into my eyeballs and launch aliens into space with my mind.

So, advice: when this thread says "play Prey" the thing you should do is play Prey.

Prey is incredible. I had the big reveal spoilered for me because I'm an idiot who can't control himself but I still loved it

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 12, 2020

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

e; wrong thread, sorry

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, are you talking about the boot disc days?

brb, gotta edit autoexec.bat

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

drat TSRs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

Giving me ‘nam flashbacks over here. If F-15 Strike Eagle II was on GOG I’d probably pick it up for old time’s sake after this.

Commanche, I think, was the one that always took the most boot disc finagling for me, but that game was pretty well past was an IBM PS1 should be able to handle if I remember right. Lot of messed up colors.

E:25 MHZ and 2 MB of RAM? Holy poo poo, I hope I never fall in a wormhole to 1993.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bentacos posted:

1. Windows (default option 10 sec timer, for when my dad used the computer)
2. XMS
3. EMS
4. Base Memory

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I remember the approximate price of RAM being ~£1 per 1MB for the longest time. Looking at those fancy new 256MB DIMMs with longing. Wondering if I’d ever really need that much. :ohdear:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Every time I get a new piece of computer storage I fondly remember installing Daggerfall with my dad when I was 12 and both of us goggling at there being a Huge install size that was 450 MB and wondering how anything could possibly need that much space.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same deal today. gently caress you mean I need to upgrade to a 1tb ssd???

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My main computer tech memory is our copy of Ultima VI/Wing Commander becoming unplayable from CPU speed (386 to 486? Pretty sure it was when we moved from DOS to Windows 3.1). We later downloaded MoSlo from the school's computer lab (we didn't have internet at home) to hamstring the home computer to play them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CarlCX posted:

Every time I get a new piece of computer storage I fondly remember installing Daggerfall with my dad when I was 12 and both of us goggling at there being a Huge install size that was 450 MB and wondering how anything could possibly need that much space.

I remember when TekWar came out and people were talking about its 50 MB footprint.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

get thee behind me DOS4GW Protected Mode Run-time

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

My main computer tech memory is our copy of Ultima VI/Wing Commander becoming unplayable from CPU speed (386 to 486? Pretty sure it was when we moved from DOS to Windows 3.1). We later downloaded MoSlo from the school's computer lab (we didn't have internet at home) to hamstring the home computer to play them.

When we put a CD drive in the PS/1 it came with a disc with like 16 full games on it to blow your mind about how much CDs held. One was Wing Commander Academy, which I loved, but I could not, for the life of me, get Strike Commander to run. I read the manual for that over and over as a kid, it looked like exactly my kind of poo poo.

It also had Shadowcaster which I still want GOG to get so loving bad.

E:If I made a “back in my day”:weird poo poo you did to get games to run thread, would anyone be interested? I have a fun story involving a new PSU and a band saw with my old Compaq.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 12, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I played and beat Katana Zero which was fun. Wish it had a real ending though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AirRaid posted:

I remember the approximate price of RAM being ~£1 per 1MB for the longest time. Looking at those fancy new 256MB DIMMs with longing. Wondering if I’d ever really need that much. :ohdear:

Haha a buck a meg. Back in the DOS days the normal price from ram was $70-80 per meg, and that price was standard for a long time. Not sure of the truth of this but the reason I heard for ram prices finally dropping was Windows 95, because it needed more ram and supposedly MS told the ram cartel (which basically price fixed) that they could either lower prices or MS would build/buy their own RAM factory and undercut them out of business.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blaster Master Zero was pretty good, but I got BM02 and had to refund it after like thirty minutes. What happened?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zachack posted:

Haha a buck a meg. Back in the DOS days the normal price from ram was $70-80 per meg, and that price was standard for a long time. Not sure of the truth of this but the reason I heard for ram prices finally dropping was Windows 95, because it needed more ram and supposedly MS told the ram cartel (which basically price fixed) that they could either lower prices or MS would build/buy their own RAM factory and undercut them out of business.

For a while in the 2000’s a decent stick of RAM was basically something you’d find in a box of cracker jacks. Then the price spiked a few years ago, but the 32 GB I slapped in my laptop cost me like... 60-80 bucks last summer? 2 bucks a gig still kind of blows my mind.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

am I insane or is Post Scriptum's claim of a free weekend a filthy, filthy lie.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fuligin posted:

am I insane or is Post Scriptum's claim of a free weekend a filthy, filthy lie.

no i played it this weekend, but that weekend also just ended in its timezone

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So what's the best non-Steam Controller controller purely for Steam Link usage?

After failing to click anything whatsoever in Slay the Spire/Baba Is You through both Parsec/Chrome Remote Desktop, I was completely blown away by Steam Link which is just so incredibly smooth. This is made even more impressive by the fact that I'm connecting through my mobile connection, instead of wifi connection.

So now I'm looking forward to finishing Outer Worlds etc on my phone, just need a proper controller now.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well after seeing the ad for Sayonara Wild Hearts during GDQ I snagged it and I have to say I love the "audiosurf but more aesthetic and with a story" thing they have. My one complaint is that the Xbox 360 controller I have connected to my PC seems to have some awful input lag in this game and there's no way to correct for that in game as far as I can tell. Luckily it plays just as well with a keyboard, but that does limit me to playing at my PC and not from the couch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

srulz posted:

So what's the best non-Steam Controller controller purely for Steam Link usage?

After failing to click anything whatsoever in Slay the Spire/Baba Is You through both Parsec/Chrome Remote Desktop, I was completely blown away by Steam Link which is just so incredibly smooth. This is made even more impressive by the fact that I'm connecting through my mobile connection, instead of wifi connection.

So now I'm looking forward to finishing Outer Worlds etc on my phone, just need a proper controller now.

I think a dualshock 4 or the xbox one controller should both be fine, it's just based on preference

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
For me the biggest reason to get a PS4 controller was that it has a built-in rechargeable battery. Xbox controller requires separate AAA batteries, which can be a nuisance.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Smol posted:

For me the biggest reason to get a PS4 controller was that it has a built-in rechargeable battery. Xbox controller requires separate AAA batteries, which can be a nuisance.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B00DBDPOZ4
The whole point of the Xbox controller is that you can pick and choose what you need. AA (not AAA, that's absurd), Enloops, a battery pack you recharge through USB, whatever, the choice is yours and you can replace it at will. Litteraly every option is better than the DS4's tiny internal battery as well. And it means you don't have to throw out the controller after 3-5 years when the battery eventually dies, just replace the easily accessible battery and you're golden.

Heck, you can can even run it through USB without any batteries connected at all if you wanted.

It makes the Elite 2's strictly internal li-po battery very frustrating and regressive. I do not understand why they went with that, I'd love to ask the engineer what they were thinking.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 13, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AA batteries own

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Weird problem:

For some reason since yesterday every time I launch Steam it kills the signal to my monitor (dislpayport) completely. The second screen (HDMI) is fine. Any ideas how to fix this??

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rocket Pan posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B00DBDPOZ4
The whole point of the Xbox controller is that you can pick and choose what you need. AA (not AAA, that's absurd), Enloops, a battery pack you recharge through USB, whatever, the choice is yours and you can replace it at will. Litteraly every option is better than the DS4's tiny internal battery as well. And it means you don't have to throw out the controller after 3-5 years when the battery eventually dies, just replace the easily accessible battery and you're golden.

Heck, you can can even run it through USB without any batteries connected at all if you wanted.

It makes the Elite 2's strictly internal li-po battery very frustrating and regressive. I do not understand why they went with that, I'd love to ask the engineer what they were thinking.

While you're totally right about the PS4 controller battery being garbage, the Xbone controllers have been dropping in quality since release. I get 300 or so hours of use until at least one button has issues. Right now, I have two Bone controllers less than a year old that have faulty A buttons. One has squeaky analog triggers too. 100 presses might register as 90 or they might register as many as 130. They also happen to be the only product in the US somehow only covered by a 90-day warranty instead of the default year so good luck getting them replaced!

I can't think about the Elite controllers without thinking about the goon who made a post in coupons saying they were on sale for $120 and when I commented about its high price, I was told I should try to design and develop controllers for less than that. Me, a guy with an R&D team and Foxconn contacts to get them produced. You could buy an okay HOTAS or racing setup for the price of one overpriced xbox controller. Didn't know the second iteration had an internal battery too. What a poo poo show.

Nintendo, the company who invented the d-pad, sells a controller for $70 with a broken d-pad. Screw these expensive pieces of junk. Madcatz quality, first-party price.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

Blaster Master Zero was pretty good, but I got BM02 and had to refund it after like thirty minutes. What happened?

I liked both just fine? What problems did you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MZ posted:

Weird problem:

For some reason since yesterday every time I launch Steam it kills the signal to my monitor (dislpayport) completely. The second screen (HDMI) is fine. Any ideas how to fix this??

Are you AMD video card drivers? I recently updated drivers and have had a shitload of issues. Especially with anything related to an overlay on top of a game (e.g , changing volume via keyboard pops up an overlay which then stutters the video signal. )