Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

i don't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

i don't like it

:hmmyes:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Reminds me of the Geronimo Stilton books, what with the weird font changes and all.

I doubt there's a stupid and creepy Cookie Monster vagina metaphor in Geronimo Stilton though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Whenever I see a book that does font stuff like that I remember some quote from someone--I think it was with regards to the invention of word processors--where someone was waxing lyrical about having thirty different fonts on a page, all expressing different levels of emotion, with some words curling off or thundering down through lines or whatever.

At last, that dream is made manifest.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

When I was in elementary school I wrote notebook-length stories (many of the notebooks had unused pages trimmed out) about my cat and my bird having adventures together. They were handwritten and illustrated and extremely good and I have saved them all in case I ever need to blackmail myself.
This is so precious. The cat's little face! :3:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

PYF terrible book: breasts. At least one, maybe two

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Have some more

Alien sex manuals

This one has furries

Rock bukakke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the 1000-megawatt homeless electrocuter

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Some real Stimpire vibes.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the 1000-megawatt homeless electrocuter

Don't give San Francisco any ideas now.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mods please rename me Alien Sex Manual

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Instead of myself, I'm going to talk about two creative efforts from people I knew in my childhood.

One was a guy who created a little lizard named "Flurk". He was basically a platforming mascot for a video game that never existed. The guy even had a 'Flurk voice' he'd do. In today's indy game market, I think the basic concept could have carried a small game.

The other was a guy who when he was younger did a comic called "Mutant Ninja Tigers" where clouds of radiation randomly merged a zookeeper with a tiger to make a tiger man, and randomly merged another tiger with another man offscreen, and then in a forest, a ninja (who was 'hunting') got merged with a bear, and the bearman ninja met the two tigermen and taught them 'ninja' (not "the ninja arts" or something, just 'ninja'). I remember their names were Gizmo (the bear, who used bos, I specifically remember he was drawn with two of them), Stripes (The zookeeper, who wielded katanas/ninjato because they were straight, not curved) and Bumper (the other tigerman, so named because he was so clumsy he was always bumping into things. so of course they gave him throwing stars as a weapon). Though the only comic he did was about their origin, so I have no idea if they then fought The Grinder or something.

But, a few years later, he did a little mini comic for the school newspaper which was about potato bugs battling 'a mean potato masher and his army of mad kitchen utensils'. The comic went right from this introduction to skipping right to the final battle where the kitchen utensils were all brutally killed: one was shot (yeah the potato bugs had an army and one had a gun), one was tricked into jumping into an electric outlet, one was lured into a frying pan and roasted, one fell into the sink filled with soapy water and drowned or something, and finally the mean potato masher was tricked into jumping into a blender and destroyed. Still think it was a cute little thing, brutal deaths aside, and it wasn't like there was blood in it. Though I mainly remember it as presenting the scenario as something like a kid's cartoon with the villain being foiled and running off yelling curses every week, and then the potato bugs just up and massacred their enemies.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Queen Gnome posted:

Have some more

Thanks, I hate it.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Crossposting more I dug up

Alien girl is also an assassin

"like a cork popping out of a champagne battle"
Shot in the dick

Diaper fetishist need jobs, too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

I think maybe trying to read that poo poo is a bit like how it feels to suffer a stroke.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
The Trump of Assassins

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the 20 remaining Security Police-Guards begin pissing and making GBS threads themselves;

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slapping my groan, as is customary.

LITERALLY RETIRED
Aug 28, 2019

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Mods please rename me Alien Sex Manual

Be careful what you wish for.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LITERALLY AN ADMIN posted:

Well slap my groan :monocle:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well slap my groan :monocle:

I don't think I've ever seen that actually happen before! Good shout, Literally A Bird :)

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love you in a totally Platonic fashion. :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:3::hf::3:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:chloe:

well it seems like even i have a limit

e: gigantic images are not helping, please use timg

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I for one have been delighted by that thing for long enough. Maybe make a thread for it, Queen Gnome? It’s a lot.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

See, miracles still exist :3:

Also, I just woke up my partner by cackling loudly at "monster waves bukake over the meaty rocks." Living at the seaside, this is definitely going to inform how I look at the beach for awhile...

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Sobatchja Morda posted:

See, miracles still exist :3:

Also, I just woke up my partner by cackling loudly at "monster waves bukake over the meaty rocks." Living at the seaside, this is definitely going to inform how I look at the beach for awhile...

Reminds me of that terrible/troll fanfic author that used "Danube" as a verb.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The context of furries and terrible writing reminded me that despite the recent attempts of the fandom to purge it's chud elements, there was a recent furry MilSF story anthology that had to publish a retraction and apology after "accidentally" publishing a Islamophobic story where (IIRC) a robot bird blows up some Muslim kids with a grenade while they're hiding on top of a mosque and then flies off after doing some monologue about how Islam is violent and can never be dealt with peacefully.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

C.M. Kruger posted:

The context of furries and terrible writing reminded me that despite the recent attempts of the fandom to purge it's chud elements, there was a recent furry MilSF story anthology that had to publish a retraction and apology after "accidentally" publishing a Islamophobic story where (IIRC) a robot bird blows up some Muslim kids with a grenade while they're hiding on top of a mosque and then flies off after doing some monologue about how Islam is violent and can never be dealt with peacefully.

Yeah, that sort of thing doesn't happen "accidentally", does it? They just thought that no one would care. Some argue that SF has long had a regressive aspect and MilSF is just a lot more blatant about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nonathlon posted:

Yeah, that sort of thing doesn't happen "accidentally", does it? They just thought that no one would care. Some argue that SF has long had a regressive aspect and MilSF is just a lot more blatant about it.

You could easily trace it all back to the roots as pulp and Invasion Fiction, which used to be its own genre that War of the Worlds was the first one to replace the foreign power with aliens. (Could be argued that spy fiction, Tom Clancy and such has replaced it, though you still get Red Dawn and the like)

Doesn't help there's a ton of furries in the military.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Found it:
https://dogpatch.press/2018/08/06/review-red-engines/

quote:

The children make their way to a rooftop and witness their town’s defenders make a last stand at the mosque. Outgunned and outnumbered, the fighters go down quickly. Aisha, who I should remind you is a child, makes to drop a rock on a soldier’s head, but Hughin alerts the soldier, who manages to dodge it.

“I could not stay neutral after all,” [He thinks. He then addresses the “djinn” he has made in an internal monologue.] “Our tribes each have their own ways. Your tribe has chosen to settle our disputes through violence. This is the way of beasts. If you persist, then you will be killed as beasts are. Perhaps when enough of you are dead, the survivors will change their minds.”

Wow, what an amazingly lovely thing to say. At least he didn’t say it to the kids… But then Aisha swats Hughin and he flies away shouting, “Targets! Up here!” The children call him a traitor, but Hughin looks them in the eye: “It’s your own drat fault,” […] “Or your short-sighted friend’s. It’s too late to matter. Goodbye.”

Charming. A moment later, a grenade hits the roof and the children are blown to pieces. Let me repeat that: he tells the invading soldiers that there are “targets” on the roof, and the children are killed by a grenade. In the aftermath of the explosion, Hughin climbs back onto his high-horse and makes an attempt at philosophizing, some nonsense about people who are good being good at fighting, but I’m frankly not in the mood to be lectured by someone who just helped blow up a bunch of little kids.

The statement from the publisher was essentially that only a couple people read it beforehand due to having a small staff and they "lacked the proper perspective."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just bought Kiss Me Judas, the first installment of the Phineas Poe series, and it’s almost painfully bad. It’s about a former cop who ends up in a mental hospital while investigating the Denver PD Internal Affairs, and on his first day out a prostitute roofies him and replaces his kidney with a bag of heroin. The entire book seems to be written like this:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

nonathlon posted:

A genre dominated by white dudes is often regressive, especially about social issues? Whoda thunk.

Also chitoryu, your e reader or whatever is going to become a cursed object if you keep subjecting it to this stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is the author allergic to quotation marks?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could easily trace it all back to the roots as pulp and Invasion Fiction, which used to be its own genre that War of the Worlds was the first one to replace the foreign power with aliens. (Could be argued that spy fiction, Tom Clancy and such has replaced it, though you still get Red Dawn and the like)

Doesn't help there's a ton of furries in the military.

To be fair, War of the Worlds explicitly compares the Martians to European colonizers, so it's not just 'scary Others coming after us!'

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

War of the Worlds is literally "What if an outside force would do to us what we did to the colonies?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Is the author allergic to quotation marks?

There are no quotation marks at all in the book.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

there wolf posted:

A genre dominated by white dudes is often regressive, especially about social issues? Whoda thunk.

Also chitoryu, your e reader or whatever is going to become a cursed object if you keep subjecting it to this stuff.

Publishing companies are complicit too, there's poo poo out there like "Ghost" by John Ringo, that's just pure, distilled Islamophobia and misogyny and hate distilled into a little packet of evil that somehow made the cut to be released for publication.

Like, I don't expect super wokeness from my pew-pew outerspace books, but letting straight-up racism through is pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I might actually put my Twilight thread on a brief hiatus after Eclipse to do these Phineas Poe books. I'm 31 pages in and so far it hasn't let up. Every page manages to be the same baffling edgy poo poo, like a teenage goth played Max Payne and decided to write a fanfic. There's somehow 3 of these and they were a major inspiration for a musician whose career tanked after he got revealed to have a sex cult.