Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wizard Styles posted:

Is the kennel actually gone from the town screen?
Just asking because that's a bug I've never heard of before.

The noble war is the easiest because you can enter it whenever you want and essentially pick your difficulty when you choose which house to support. Or you can just ignore it.
You can also tackle the noble war with almost any company build which isn't really the case with the greenskin invasion and definitely not the case with the undead crisis.
The noble war is also gives you the best loot so if you enter the crisis undergeared it's the one that lets you catch up. Especially since you don't need to take on large armies. Possibly the most profitable thing to do in the war is to figure out which allied village is targeted by the enemy houses at the moment (which isn't hard, you'll kinda notice where troops move and things go up in smoke more often). Then you move there and just wait, intercepting any companies that come your way. Usually those will be less than 20 strong. Every now and then you sell a cartload of helmets with a few greatswords and crossbows thrown in.

The undead crisis is the hardest when you get it first to me because attrition is such a big part of it.
It spawns undead all over the place.
Ancient Dead shred armor and when the first crisis hits you might not even have everyone in good armor yet. There might still be a few chainshirts on non-Nimble bros. You probably don't have reserve heavy armor.
And the crisis contracts often want you to fight multiple battles in short succession. Staving off 4 waves of undead during a town defense mission is not easy when your reserve probably largely consists of low level bros and maybe a permanently injured veteran.

The problem with the noble war is that you aren’t good enough at that stage to take out a 20+ man army. Also heavily armoured enemies aren’t that easy to kill. So if you choose to participate; you have to really pick and choose what to do and you can’t really participate to the best possible extent.

With the undead crisis; in my experience across several campaigns; when it’s the first crisis the overwhelming majority of your opponents are zombies and fallen heroes. When you do encounter ancient dead; it’s mostly auxiliaries. Unlike the noble war armies; even a day 80 company can happily butcher 20-30 zombies. And as long as there are zombies in the enemy ranks; your archers still have something to do.

When you do fight ancient legionaries; several changes over time have made those fights easier. First; we have whips now. They can be used to disarm the pikemen. Second; we have slings. That means that if you don’t have the reserves to sub out your archers; you can swap your archers over to slings.

Also; ancient dead are fragile enough that flails do good damage against them so you aren’t stuffed if your front liners are still in flails - you would be if you tried to fight a noble army with flails.

You get more than enough money from selling loot and contract rewards to buy good armour for your bros. Plus as I said; if you’re lucky you’ll get warscythes; and those are the best weapons in the game. You’ve got no chance of finding them otherwise.

Noble war is definitely the most profitable; but I argue that you aren’t capable of fully capitalising on it at day 80. I’ve tried it both ways many times and I’ve definitely struggled more in the first crisis when it was nobles.

The Greenskin crisis is definitely the hardest to me though. More because of the goblins than the orcs; although orc warriors suck to deal with early on.

One tip I’ve discovered that makes fighting ancient dead much easier; is to move your entire company exactly one hex backwards at the beginning of the battle. The ancient dead will move the extra hex to engage you; and then they won’t have enough action points to shield wall; so you’ll get 1-2 attacks in before the wall goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
It kind of depends on how you play and build your company though. With lone wolf you can get to level 11 before day 20 pretty easily and then level up a bunch of recruits fast by just having him slaughter everything. My current lone wolf is 14 at day 29 and just testing him out I was able to solo a camp of 13 barbarian reavers without any trouble. I'm certain he could solo most of the noble war battles. Undead on the other hand I doubt I could solo because of priest miasma and just having my weapons break from having to kill zombies that come back to life over and over.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I haven't played lone wolf (speaking of which, when I eventually do there's a great seed I want to try where he starts with paranoid and sure footed); but I'm also talking from the perspective of what you'd suggest for a newer player, and they likely wouldn't be playing lone wolf either. Archers are shockingly good against zombies. My current peasant run; I usually have 4 archers in the back row.

It was really adorable though, early on I found a training bow! A unique goblin bow with +12% chance to hit. Tops out at 52 damage; so I swapped over to warbows, but as I hired guys to be my archers I gave them the training bow until I was confident they could aim decently. I still have it in my inventory, and I break it out when there are necromancers or hexes to be killed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

The problem with the noble war is that you aren’t good enough at that stage to take out a 20+ man army. Also heavily armoured enemies aren’t that easy to kill. So if you choose to participate; you have to really pick and choose what to do and you can’t really participate to the best possible extent.
That's not really a problem, those fights are entirely optional. There's no contract that requires you to fight a company of that size on your own.

quote:

With the undead crisis; in my experience across several campaigns; when it’s the first crisis the overwhelming majority of your opponents are zombies and fallen heroes. When you do encounter ancient dead; it’s mostly auxiliaries. Unlike the noble war armies; even a day 80 company can happily butcher 20-30 zombies. And as long as there are zombies in the enemy ranks; your archers still have something to do.

When you do fight ancient legionaries; several changes over time have made those fights easier. First; we have whips now. They can be used to disarm the pikemen. Second; we have slings. That means that if you don’t have the reserves to sub out your archers; you can swap your archers over to slings.
Well, it may come down to the difficulty we're playing on then.
On Expert, Auxiliaries are phased out pretty soon. They mostly appear as chaff in Necrosavant lairs after the first few weeks. The crisis spawns a lot of Legionaries and occasionally Honor Guards.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

That's not really a problem, those fights are entirely optional. There's no contract that requires you to fight a company of that size on your own.

Well, it may come down to the difficulty we're playing on then.
On Expert, Auxiliaries are phased out pretty soon. They mostly appear as chaff in Necrosavant lairs after the first few weeks. The crisis spawns a lot of Legionaries and occasionally Honor Guards.

I’ve always played on veteran. Given that we’re talking about what a new player should do; I’m not sure why you’d be basing your advice on what happens in expert.

My experience in veteran is that you basically never see ancient dead outside of the crisis; and in the first crisis the most common fights are zombies, some times with a few auxiliaries thrown in; then the next most common would be a mix of auxiliaries and legionaries; and rarely on the hardest 3 skull fights you’d encounter the occasional honour guard. Priests are very rare. In my current run the last fight I did before the end of the crisis was a group of just honour guards (less than 12 of them) and I’d never seen that before - but it it was great because I got 4 warscythes out of it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve always played on veteran. Given that we’re talking about what a new player should do; I’m not sure why you’d be basing your advice on what happens in expert.
I just don't remember what Beginner is like at all and the last time I played on Veteran was after the second DLC came out. There's nothing for me to base my advice on besides Expert.

Anyway, I'd still suggest the noble war to a new player because fighting noble troops can be done with almost any company build and you can just ignore the crisis.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I remember I started the game on beginner and it still felt hard as poo poo when I first swapped to Vet and now I’m at day 650 of a Expert Ironman Lone Wolf run and I haven’t lost a guy. (I savescum occasionally via alt-F4 so it’s not perfect but Ironman still forces you to play out every decision/ambush, no backtracking). A weird transition.

Both the noble and undead crisis are good, the greenskin one is boring as gently caress because there’s very little incentive to deal with them. Even gob/orc champions are boring because you won’t use the drops 99% of the time.

Same with barbarian camps full of chosen/armored Frost unholds, but that’s more of a balance issue vs the Orcs. Orcs aren’t hard after a while, just not rewarding.

Also kind of disappointed by the Goblin City, my first run had it deep in the mountains on very challenging terrain (big vertical changes per hex and a ton of forced chokepoints) so it was as hard as it felt it should be. Next time it showed in the mountains but was just a normal plains map and an absolute cakewalk.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 12, 2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Stoked on the new DLC announcement. I'm sure I'm down for whatever new content they have to offer, but I do wish the following got looked at for update/revision:

- As I mentioned earlier, take a long look at rewards for certain contracts. Find a way to incentivize the player to take risky contracts instead of the current system where you're really encourage to always play it safe. I would humbly posit that the rewards for killing hexen, alps, unholds and lindwurms could easily be doubled without being OP or out of whack.
- Buff or replace some of the trap perks - things like nine lives, lone wolf, maybe even crippling strikes/executioner to an extent.
- Same as above but for weapons - I barely noticed they added scimatars to the game since the main attack is pretty indistinguishable from the sword's and the secondary is essentially useless. Basically, I hope new weapons add something to the game the way whips, 2h maces and some of the others did, as opposed to curved and fencing swords which were a bit of a miss.
- Do SOMETHING about how hard it is to get good ranged recruits. IDK if this means more ranged backgrounds or maybe hardcoding that every ranged background get guaranteed 2 stars in RAttack. Regardless, the grind to find great archers is one of my least favorite parts of the game and I just had to retire a 100-day northern raider campaign since I couldn't find a decent candidate in my limited pool of towns.

Curious what would be on your lists too. If you've played the game this long, we all must have somethings we want to see changed

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Wizard Styles posted:

Once the crisis has started it will run its course, so that should work. But you would need to repeat the process every time.

You could use BBEdit to make your bro level 90. Worst case, the save gets corrupted (as level 90 is way above the cap), of course, but I think it would probably work.

I could also upload a modified script somewhere that removes the party strength query but there's no guarantee that it'd work.

Ok, that makes sense! Seems the max bbedit will let you do is 42, so the game basically requires you to have multiple guys to trigger crises. If you did want to make that script, I'd be really happy to test it out. Just seems wrong that you shouldn't be allowed to at least attempt the game solo even if it is a bad idea.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think it's less "not being allowed" than it was them not thinking there would be people wanting to solo the whole game way back when they coded in how crises triggered, basing it on people having an actual mercenary company.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way...if one WAS so solo an entire campaign (well, maybe picking up the squire via the early event, until he eventually dies) what weapon would you recommend? Something two-handed like a longsword/axe, so that you have some crowd control ability and the skill to destroy shields? Or a shield and a flail or something, so that you can protect yourself against arrows while bonking heads?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

By the way...if one WAS so solo an entire campaign (well, maybe picking up the squire via the early event, until he eventually dies) what weapon would you recommend? Something two-handed like a longsword/axe, so that you have some crowd control ability and the skill to destroy shields? Or a shield and a flail or something, so that you can protect yourself against arrows while bonking heads?

2 handed weapon once you have the melee defense to back it up. I like the mace or the hammer. Mace because the debuff is really good if you can wedge yourself into good terrain and hammer for sheer armor destroying damage. Axe is probably the best for damage but it makes it harder to get loot.

The problem with shields is that breaking shields always hits and enemies like Orcs and Barbarians love to do it. No shield ever survives a full fight with Orcs and then you're just gimping your dps for no real gain.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So just had the stupidest drat fight right now.

I hate fighting Hexen. Charm always ruins my day. I decide to take a 3 star 4200 contract, face my fears. I alternate whips and maces for my frontline. I'm ready to beat down any unhold or brigand or direwolf.

I didn't know Hexen could also charm Schrats.

The fight is two Hexen and three Schrats. I check all my archers to see if I brought longaxes. Nope, just all polehammers because I was doing the orc ambition.

I snipe the two Hexen (last one got off a hex so I made the decision to almost kill the man and have him retreat.) Then comes the yakety sax as my men surround the three Schrats and whip them, stab them with daggers, and pound them with maces. Worst way to cut down trees guys.

Small side bonus, since my guys barely do damage they don't have those little seedlings.

Also protip. Don't take on a lot of chosen while the undead crisis is going on. Undead chosen suck too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hexen are a really lovely design. Being able to charm and curse in the same round with high initiative is just not fun. Most of my combats against Hexen I have to just keep waiting and waiting for them to gently caress up and fail to curse before I can easily slaughter them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

2 handed weapon once you have the melee defense to back it up. I like the mace or the hammer. Mace because the debuff is really good if you can wedge yourself into good terrain and hammer for sheer armor destroying damage. Axe is probably the best for damage but it makes it harder to get loot.

The problem with shields is that breaking shields always hits and enemies like Orcs and Barbarians love to do it. No shield ever survives a full fight with Orcs and then you're just gimping your dps for no real gain.

Yeah, I was wondering about the hammer, for that same reason. It'd probably be the best way to go, crisis-wise, due to the heavily-armoured noble soldiers in the war, as well as the top-tier skelly soldiers. (Can't remember what they're called. Immortals?)
I suppose it might be an idea to get proficiency with a couple of weapons, though. Like, maybe a sword/axe for the sweeping blows (since hammers and maces don't get that, right?) for crowd control, as well as hammer prof. for when you're up against armoured foes.

By the way...with all the hexen talk, what happens if you've only got one guy and he gets charmed? Is it just an instant loss, or does everyone sit around being friends for a couple of turns? (Since I've only gone up against them a couple of times, but it seems like the enemies don't attack 'turned' Bros, unless I'm mistaken?)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
2h Hammers do get a sweeping strike like the longsword, they don't have the 2 tile straight attack though.

As for the 1 person question... Could be a good use for lone knight run.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Hexen are fine when it's one or two of them mixed into a regular group. Fights against nothing but Hexen are just dumb.
Hexen + Schrats can be really annoying when you fight them as part of a contract because those fights are triggered through dialogue. So you don't see what's coming on the world map and don't get to equip your bros with axes in advance.

dylguy90 posted:

Ok, that makes sense! Seems the max bbedit will let you do is 42, so the game basically requires you to have multiple guys to trigger crises. If you did want to make that script, I'd be really happy to test it out. Just seems wrong that you shouldn't be allowed to at least attempt the game solo even if it is a bad idea.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qFgMWo-Hhco_qvj0v6v-NQJ7zFUPBukQ/view

Put this file into Battle Brothers/data/scripts/factions/

Might want to hire a second bro for a day to force the game to recalculate your company's strength. I have no idea how often it does that, but that should force it to.

You should of course make a backup copy of your save before using this, but I really only changed the company strength checks. The worst thing I can see happen is that this just doesn't work because there is a redundant check somewhere that I didn't find.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

By the way...with all the hexen talk, what happens if you've only got one guy and he gets charmed? Is it just an instant loss, or does everyone sit around being friends for a couple of turns? (Since I've only gone up against them a couple of times, but it seems like the enemies don't attack 'turned' Bros, unless I'm mistaken?)

Instant loss. Your guy croaks automatically and you just get the game over screen.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I honestly don’t think you can take a solo Lone Wolf game into the real late game; you cannot fight Chosen, Schrats, Lindwurms, or most of the end game events alone (well you can, but most will be exceedingly terrible from a time commitment standpoint, and good loving luck with the Monolith or swamp event). What you consider the end of a run is subjective though so YMMV.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 13, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I just hope what the devs take from the last couple expansions is that the game is at its best when you're fighting humans. Well, Chosen are kind of insane, but besides that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The original monsters were pretty good. I've got no problem fighting wraiths, zombies, orcs, goblins or ghouls. The DLC monsters are all kinda lovely.

I like fighting the lindwurms when they're not in stacks of five. Everything else is kinda lovely. Kinda wish I could just turn off certain monsters. Make hexan as annoying as you want, I won't care if i can click the box for "gently caress off, hexan".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just avoid fighting monsters and am generally successful, they're avoidable enough. Not an excuse for them kind of sucking though

A Stranger
Sep 14, 2010
Hexen are scary but actually one of the more interesting fights and one of the "good" monsters, imho. I mean, I still find vampires scarier. I got a lot more problems with Schrats. Five hexen on their own are scary but possible to beat even if you're not especially prepared for it, five schrats will fuckin kill your dudes on an unlucky diceroll even if you're prepared. Spiders are great, good addition. Unholds would be great if they didn't cause more injuries than normal, there's really no reason for that. Sleepmonsters (forget the name) suck even after the change. They could've been fun in their earlier form if they used them as supplementals, like gheists or necromancers, instead of standalone monsters.
Barbarians are fine, but the rewards for fighting them are way wrong. There's no reason to fight a bunch of chosen when fighting a noble company or mercenary band gives you better loot for an easier fight.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fighting chosen won’t dumpster your rep with any factions

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Honestly the only changes I would make to the game as far as making it fairer/more balanced would be

1. Letting you see the full stats of hires when you pay to try them out.

2. Making it so that unique items can’t be permanently lost if they break - they should disappear in combat but then at the end you loot them with 0% durability.

3. Giving barbarian drummers and beast masters a more limited range. Say 6 hexes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'd make chosen a bit weaker, they're absurdly overpowered compared to just about everything else in the game, especially given how much more powerful they are than just about every other human enemy, and it seems off given just how many of them are running around in the lategame.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Why do barbarians have so much fatigue? I thought the drummer was supposed to make up for the "poor" stamina of the other units. But it turns out that they don't have bad fatigue. For reference, the noble house footman has 120 fatigue. Every single barbarian unit except for the barbarian thrall and barbarian beastmaster has more fatigue than the noble house footman. The barbarian thrall and barbarian beastmaster only have a mere 120 fatigue.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Why do barbarians have so much fatigue? I thought the drummer was supposed to make up for the "poor" stamina of the other units. But it turns out that they don't have bad fatigue. For reference, the noble house footman has 120 fatigue. Every single barbarian unit except for the barbarian thrall and barbarian beastmaster has more fatigue than the noble house footman. The barbarian thrall and barbarian beastmaster only have a mere 120 fatigue.

No idea. One of the dev blogs for the DLC said that barbarians would be really deadly for a couple turns then tire themselves out, so if you could weather the initial storm you could outlast them. Then the DLC came out and it turned out barbarians have effectively unlimited fatigue. :shrug:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I think the idea is that they would tire themselves out by using adrenaline every turn. The problem is that the higher tier barbarians usually have 2 handers, where being tired doesn’t really matter when your swinging once a turn.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 14, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

I think the idea is that they would tire themselves out by using adrenaline every turn. The problem is that the higher tier barbarians usually have 2 handers, where being tired doesn’t really matter when your swinging once a turn.

Also iirc the barbarian version of Adrenaline uses 0 fatigue.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
AND their version of Rotation only costs them 5 fatigue.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Stranger posted:

Sleepmonsters (forget the name) suck even after the change.

I don't find alps very difficult, but they are definitely boring and repetitive. They're easy to distract with dogs, but that just prolongs the battle.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

You hardly ever encounter Alps unless you go looking, because they only come out at night. The newest iteration is really easy to deal with now; you just have a couple of guys with whips.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I didn’t hate the old iteration of alps once I got my full crew going but it was definitely lovely to fight before that point. They required a very specific composition to fight like Lindwurms. Not great, not terrible. The new ones are just weird and more pointless. Anyways as said above just avoid all alps missions or retreat via esc ASAP, there’s no reason to ever fight them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

vyelkin posted:

Also iirc the barbarian version of Adrenaline uses 0 fatigue.

moot the hopple posted:

AND their version of Rotation only costs them 5 fatigue.
Only their Rotation is cheaper, they get the regular Adrenaline perk.
But that's on top of high base Fatigue, Mastery perks and the higher Fatigue regeneration (20 iirc) that many enemies get.
There effectively aren't many ways for Chosen to really run out of Fatigue, and they will regenerate enough to use their weapon skills regardless.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I forgot about spiders being a solidly fun enemy to fight. Good addition.

I just don't like hexan because i'm usually just sat around waiting for a chance to hit them without it killing one of my bro's. Typically its not a hard fight, but its a "i've worked it out" fight that's a lot of waiting. Oh you're possessed? Better disarm you, ok cool. You're cursed? Guess i wait, etc.

Alps 100% should be additional, like necromancers. But at least i can just retreat so eh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mazz posted:

I didn’t hate the old iteration of alps once I got my full crew going but it was definitely lovely to fight before that point. They required a very specific composition to fight like Lindwurms. Not great, not terrible. The new ones are just weird and more pointless. Anyways as said above just avoid all alps missions or retreat via esc ASAP, there’s no reason to ever fight them.

I don't necessarily think you need to go out of your way to avoid them. They're pretty easy to kill now, the money is usually good, and you get the various parts to make +5 resolve necklaces from them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Alps also drop a component for happy powder which is so, so crucial for a cultist run. Come to think of it, I really enjoy how the features from the DLC have interacted so far, like a combination of crafting and certain company origins incentivizing me to fight enemies that I would normally avoid. Hope the new DLC mixes things up even further.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Don't know if I saw it mentioned, but the legends mod had a new update that added a good amount of stuff and a modular armor system. Been playing with it a little bit and I'm having a good time, it is definitely a welcome addition to have some more complexity with how you kit your guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Getting back into this finally, and I had a Hexe drop an apple for the first time. Should I try and sell it somewhere, even knowing I'll never get the 'full' price, or just turn it into paint at a taxidermist and save myself time?