Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
if you're too cool to actually talk to people why are you here trying to talk to people

"Can't believe people care about Star Wars in this, the Star Wars thread for talking about Star Wars. Can't anyone in here appreciate how cool it is that I obviously don't know what I'm talking about?"

Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

George Lucas has a Saturn award for Best Writing.

Please do not challenge him without showing your own Saturn award for Best Posting.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

zer0spunk posted:

This is kinda rad cuz it shows the exact opposite of everything the ep1 bts docs show..where here he's giving precise direction to hayden on every.single.detail.

Wonder if he was just like, ok this is my last directing go maybe?

What's the ep2 bts like?

Most of the BTS stuff isn't about how Lucas directs, but you can see that he does give plenty directions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOoMMj4HCk&t=212s

Which, I mean, of course he does. The Episode 1 documentary mostly shows all the other stuff that goes on while they're shooting, focusing more on assistant directors than Lucas himself. But even there is a piece where Lucas is helping Jake Lloyd who has trouble pronouncing "Coruscant" wrong.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

If you're a selfless defender of peace and justice with no fear that shouldn't matter. Kill em all.

whoa i just realized this is how trotskyites become neocons...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ror posted:

Please do not challenge him without showing your own Saturn award for Best Posting.

Most nominations (film franchise) Marvel Cinematic Universe 131 nominations3 2008–2019

Calm down, Saturn awards

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

man attack of the clones owns. im still thinking about it, good rear end movie

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

my opinions on the acting is like, and i might be wrong here, but the ot is more like old hollywood and the prequels are more like maybe slightly muted stage or theater acting. although you have old hollywood too, like anakin doing a very obvious james dean homage

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ror posted:

Since Saturn is already taken, the one for best posting would surely be the Uranus Award

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Unoriginal Name posted:

Rewrite the line yourself and if you do not you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and that [sic] you are a coward.

Sure.

A lot of people don't pick up that Palpatine is draining Windu's power. So, a more subdued alternate version can go: "Ah! The force is strong with you.... And now, with me!"

I wouldn't actually change the UNLIMITED POWER line, though, because UNLIMITED POWER is great.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh wait we're talking about the writing not the acting. of course the writing is good! that's why everyone quotes it all the time

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A lot of people don't pick up that Palpatine is draining Windu's power. So, a more subdued alternate version can go: "Ah! The force is strong with you.... And now, with me!"

Swing and a miss.

Harder than ya thought, huh?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Swing and a miss.

Can you elaborate on this.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Can you elaborate on this.

No.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

People put an enormous amount of effort into great displays of non-communication, instead of just writing truthfully and accurately.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"It's Bad Because I Say It Is" and other assorted tantrums are a staple of Star Wars-oriented conversations

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The prequels have old-fashioned dialogue that is awkward and dated to modern ears. That's an adequate enough explanation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I always thought it would have made more sense to have that kid in AOTC suggest how to find the missing planet instead of just pointing out that it was deleted. Like obviously it was deleted. The idea that they couldn't delete the effect it had on the surrounding area seems like a more creative thing that Obi-Wan might need some help to figure out. Like if the planet isn't where it should be, who cares? Just go to the planet

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I thought it was pretty salient to have a scene where the not-quite-Jedi kid can still think outside the box while Detective Kenobi is all "how can the Jeid archives not have something? HOW is that POSSIBLE"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yaws posted:

Swing and a miss.

Okay wait. The point is that SMG’s version was a “more subdued” version, not that it was a “better” version. In fact the whole implication of the challenge is that while the dialogue is CLAIMED to be transparently bad, it’s actually quite good, such that it’s not trivial to replace it with better writing!

Or are you saying that SMG’s version is, in fact, so much better that he’s been proven wrong about prequel dialogue by his own success at given it a facelift?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

I always thought it would have made more sense to have that kid in AOTC suggest how to find the missing planet instead of just pointing out that it was deleted. Like obviously it was deleted. The idea that they couldn't delete the effect it had on the surrounding area seems like a more creative thing that Obi-Wan might need some help to figure out. Like if the planet isn't where it should be, who cares? Just go to the planet

Looking for out-of-place gravitational effects doesn't sound like an intuitive leap a child would make, though. Is this child a genius? Does the force grant him physics-knowing super powers? Chekov's Doogie Howser PHD.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

Okay wait. The point is that SMG’s version was a “more subdued” version, not that it was a “better” version. In fact the whole implication of the challenge is that while the dialogue is CLAIMED to be transparently bad, it’s actually quite good, such that it’s not trivial to replace it with better writing!

Or are you saying that SMG’s version is, in fact, so much better that he’s been proven wrong about prequel dialogue by his own success at given it a facelift?

I have proven myself both CAPABLE and BRAVE!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I have proven myself both CAPABLE and BRAVE!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"there's no planet there."

"impossible. perhaps the archives are incomplete?"

"no."

"well, alright. thank you, jedi librarian."

----

"but how can the effects of the planet still be felt if it's not there?"

"maybe it is there. maybe it was deleted from the archives."

"but they couldn't delete the effects! you're a genius, small child!"

----

it's a pretty clear cut case of the jedi being convinced that they're right and struggling to find an explanation when their rightness is at obvious odds with observable reality

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Itsumo. Something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxeE3jIt5A

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll grant it's possible, in the abstract, to identify something as bad without being able to come up with something better on the spot. But surely you can at least try to describe what it is about the words in those lines that makes them bad, instead of just treating it as self-evident and listing a bunch of synonyms for bad.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
At the very least, it can lead to more productive topics. Anakin's dialogue being 'cringey' as a product of his character might not work for you, because the story you would like is of a cool guy who fights for a great republic before being turned to darkness. In this case, I recommend The Clone Wars tv show.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

ungulateman posted:

At the very least, it can lead to more productive topics. Anakin's dialogue being 'cringey' as a product of his character might not work for you, because the story you would like is of a cool guy who fights for a great republic before being turned to darkness. In this case, I recommend The Clone Wars tv show.

Yes. Anakin being a creep whose social awkwardness borders on mental illness might be deliberate, but that doesn't make it fun to watch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jason Momoa's initial Chewie impression sounds like the one in the Auralnauts video, lmao.

https://twitter.com/JoonasSuotamo/status/1216408324561948672

Also lmao at Joonas making Momoa look relatively small.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Yaws posted:

Yes. Anakin being a creep whose social awkwardness borders on mental illness might be deliberate, but that doesn't make it fun to watch.

Actually yes it does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like messed up twice a slave Anakin and his colorblind to red flags girlfriend

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

I like messed up twice a slave Anakin and his colorblind to red flags girlfriend

They're both malleable naive idiots. They're the perfect couple.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Qft

I like how the guy who started this bad faith derail bounced, his substitute left too, and now the third string toilets on without even remembering the premise

Edit uh toils. I’m leaving it

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 13, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
“I have the POWER! UNLIMITED… POWER!”

palpatine (losing control): I'm losing control
palpatine (regaining control): 'Cause the power you're supplying
palpatine (smugly in control): It's electrifying!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"Hey, how come you're the black guy and I'm the one with electric powers?"

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 13, 2020

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

YaketySass posted:

lmao

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Barudak posted:

his colorblind to red flags girlfriend
i feel like this is a tragically common affliction lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

i feel like this is a tragically common affliction lol

Thats something I really like about the movies, because it absolutely is, and it makes me laugh when Disney is like oh yeah were gonna make a role model show for girls about Padme.

YaketySass posted:

Laffo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the line is just "Power! Unlimited POWER!" anyway smdh

that's how you rewrite it to be better, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have the high ground is unironically a really good line and it pops up regularly outside of its Star Wars context which to me is the mark of a good bit of dialog.