Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Can you still use the Quickstep exploit to move through the swamp quickly or did that get patched out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nah. walking through the swamp isn't really supposed to be part of the challenge in the area anyway, and there's only a pretty small part of it that's so deep you can't roll. they wouldn't patch that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wound be totally fine if they didn’t put in a swamp level in the next game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

oldpainless posted:

I wound be totally fine if they didn’t put in a swamp level in the next game

I think they learned their lesson. The poison swamp in Sekiro is one small room.

Qmass posted:

am I going to find dark souls 1 or 2 palatable after starting with bloodborne, sekiro and then ds3 ?

You should be fine. Mostly you're going to find combat much, much slower than Sekiro but I don't think it would be a dealbreaker. The earlier games are more methodical and were designed with the expectation that most players would use a shield, which obviously isn't the case with Sekiro and Bloodborne. Just go in knowing that the the sort of refinement you see in Sekiro and Bloodborne is still being hammered out in the earlier games. I would also strongly recommend playing Demon's Souls if you have a PS3. I went from DS3 to Demon's Souls and didn't find it to be a big drop in quality or polish, aside from the inconsistent framerate. Really each game in the series does at least one thing better than all the others so you can find a lot to like.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 12, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think they learned their lesson. The poison swamp in Sekiro is one small room.

They're conserving their swamp powers for the biggest, most poisonous swamp yet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yes, indeed, to the swamp kingdom of Blighttaria you must go...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I would be ok with a swamp city on stilts - kind of like after the clocktower in bloodborne but bigger. That was much more pleasant than farron... and I was going to say maybe its the enemies in farron that made it such a pain but then I remembered that the fight in the well in BB was maybe the hardest "boss" in the game for me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Demon Soul's worth buying a used PS3 for? It's literally the only game on that console that I want to play but can't.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Demon Soul's worth buying a used PS3 for? It's literally the only game on that console that I want to play but can't.

I hear PS3 emulation is getting really good these days, but if that's not an option, yes absolutely. Demon's Souls is incredible, even with all the jank.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, buddy, go for it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Demon's Souls harder than any of From's other games?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Probably depends on what you focus on. I could see certain bosses being tough for a tank. When I got it a friend recommended I do sorcery, and it's game-breaking if you have the right spells. Like if you're Royalty class and you get certain pyromancies and soul ray attacks then there are bosses you'll destroy without them getting in a single hit. There are also consumable healing items that make it easier than the other games since they tend to heal faster than DS2's lifegems and you'll quickly accumulate dozens of them.

My hope is that someday soon Demon's Souls gets a remaster, but part of me thinks From would have done it already if they were gonna do it at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The bosses in Demon's Souls are the easiest ones by far, but part of that is the substantial number that are gimmicks/puzzles that you can do in a couple of minutes once you figure out the solution. There's 2-3 that might be challenging but more on the "Artorias" or "Sir Alonne" level of difficulty, and not up with the harder bosses in DS3/Bloodborne/Sekiro. If you've managed to beat any of the newer games, DeS fights are a breeze.

Demon's Souls does have the added challenge of the disconnected worlds you can theoretically go through in any order, and it expects you to skip around a lot to explore. There's things hidden in some levels that make other zones significantly easier, or are super important to find for specific builds, but that requires some knowledge about the game to pull off. The upgrade system is a convoluted mess, and the world tendency and character tendency mechanics are opaque to the point of being impenetrable without a guide. World tendency especially will probably get hosed up if you don't know what you're doing, and that will lock you out of some interesting NPC sidequests and weapons. (Basically, just throw yourself off a high spot in the Nexus any time you get your body form back, dying in body form in a world pushes the world tendency towards black, and with the servers down there's not an easy way to push world tendency up to pure white besides killing bosses. The game is balanced around you having half health or the cling ring on most of the time anyway.) Also dump everything you don't absolutely need to equip and carry in storage whenever you return to the Nexus, because there's a carry limit like you're in an Elder Scrolls game and you can lose unique drops if you can't pick them up.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 12, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Demon's Souls is the easiest Souls game, no contest. It expects almost no action game skills from you at all, it's like the polar opposite of 3 in that regard. If you do have those action game skills, like most players of this series do by this point, you can pretty much just roll over the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I keep hearing how Flamelurker is one of the most difficult bosses in the series.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really true, they just stand out in that game specifically. Same with maneater gargoyles.

By the by, anyone on PC who invades, the Wex dust mod absolutely rules.
It makes it so that when you are in your own world by yourself, repair powder is changed into the wex dust item.
When you use the wex dust, it searches the whole gameworld for invasion candidates that are an appropriate level+weapon level, and then invades one. So you don't have to search around for somewhere with player population, you get invasions basically constantly in all sorts of places. Tons of variety and you end up invading in areas you probably never would bother trying normally.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh poo poo what link that right now

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/405

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

That is awesome, thanks

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I keep hearing how Flamelurker is one of the most difficult bosses in the series.

Nah, he's just one of the toughest ones in Demon's Souls.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

take extra care to never aggro any of the NPCs in Demons. I'm not sure if theres a way to be forgiven and its super easy to accidentally do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have never once accidentally attacked anyone in any souls game

how are people doing it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Amppelix posted:

how are people doing it

Easy to do by setting down the PS3 controller and hitting R2 wrong

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

how are people doing it

The one time it happened to me was particularly hilarious in how unlikely it was. Previous play session I'd bought pyromancies and stuff from Quelana and Eingyi. This included Firestorm which I attuned just before quitting at the bonfire near Quelaag's sister. I also happened to leave my pyromancy glove equipped. Next time I sat down to play all it took was a single errant button press and well... RIP Quelaag's sister and Eingyi.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
My young daughter has a habit of picking up the controller when I leave the room for a moment and doing something terrible to my character. It’s usually something as simple as flinging the character off the closest cliff, but has on occasion resulted in her mercilessly attacking every NPC in sight until I can wrestle the controller back from her. She finds this endlessly entertaining.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is why "quit game" is the actual pause button in souls games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Do you guys like the idea of Dark Souls adding a pause button like Sekiro?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only reason the games don't have one in the first place is because of the online component. It's clear that they don't actually care about inability to pause being part of the challenge, and as I said quitting the game is functionally pausing as you will save your exact position and enemy status. The only situation where it doesn't work is boss fights.

So I wouldn't care at all if one was added.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

This is why "quit game" is the actual pause button in souls games
Yeah, but where’s the fun in that? The real Dark Souls starts when you have children in the house invading your game.

——

A pause button would be fine if you were in offline mode. Wouldn’t make much sense in multi unless it was disabled during invasions and summoning.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anyone who is in favor of a pause menu on a Souls game is a filthy casual

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

He's the first boss you encounter that you actually have to git gud (or find that one spot that makes him bug out) to beat. If you've played all of the Dark Soulses he's nothing special.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
More like ole pauseless.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

He's the first boss you encounter that you actually have to git gud (or find that one spot that makes him bug out) to beat. If you've played all of the Dark Soulses he's nothing special.

Thief ring, poison cloud, slow death without even aggroing. It's hilarious.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

xanthan posted:

Thief ring, poison cloud, slow death without even aggroing. It's hilarious.

Yeah, but that’s after you know the ins and outs of the game. Flamelurker was hard as gently caress and a huge stumbling block for people the first time through.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I forgot i never finished this game! After beating sekiro picked it back up and easily breezed through the rest of the archives and made my way into the drake area with the black knight sword. I have one pale tongue and want to switch up my build. I think I have or can get plenty of upgrade materials, thinking I want to do magic or something new. What's more fun than the standard sword and board build? I plan on doing 0 pvp.

Having a hard time with the twin princes because I can only get off one attack every ten seconds with the current setup so something cool that stacks bleed or frost or doing spells or something would be cool for the dlc and ng+

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 13, 2020

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Amppelix posted:

how are people doing it

DS3 is my first Souls game. I had just killed Gundyr and made it into Firelike shrine. There are no friendly NPCs up to that point, so when I see a knight sittning on the stairs I went for a backstab :ese:

...and that's how I started my second character in DS3.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Flamelurker is hard because it's From's first experiment with a boss that is "fast" and "aggressive." People also tend to fight it early because of where it is in the game, and the fact that you can't make boss weapons until you beat it. There's a good chance you'll die a few times fighting it, but it's nowhere near one of the most difficult bosses in the series.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I haven’t posted this in a while but everyone into dark souls needs to see this https://youtu.be/TrbDD7onr0o

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Imhotep posted:

I haven’t posted this in a while but everyone into dark souls needs to see this https://youtu.be/TrbDD7onr0o

That's so mean. Why would they do that to poor Gundyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

punk rebel ecks posted:

King of Solomon posted:

I hear PS3 emulation is getting really good these days, but if that's not an option, yes absolutely. Demon's Souls is incredible, even with all the jank.

https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Demon%27s_Souls

You can even play at 4K@60fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx66X9dzXo0