Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RIP to the rpg company that was rare in that it wasn't being run by a rapist abuser or a environment that wasn't designed top down to protect people like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I will be forever mad that the original book release pattern didn't hold through all three lines. 3 adventures and 3 sector books per line would have been great....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Suzaku posted:

So what I'm hearing is if there are any books I really want, get them now. I'm currently trying to get all the imperial assault stuff and some of the minis seem to already be disappearing. I don't want the same thing to happen to the RPG books too...

I've been one splatbook away from completing all of the EotE line for like two years. No Disintegrations has eluded me so far here in Europe, and the last shipment that I heard about ~6 months ago was sold out before I could grab a copy :sigh:

Hopefully the stock situation remains relatively okay for awhile on the rest of the line though. I've been wanting to move on to AoR but the budget just isn't there at at the moment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jivjov posted:

If they already have books and they keep getting sales, there's no reason they can't do more reprints of them....but yeah, if there's anything you desperately want to have, get it sooner rather than later

A look at their website shows no reprints ordered - there is some new and upcoming stuff, but no reprints of anything on their system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

I've been one splatbook away from completing all of the EotE line for like two years. No Disintegrations has eluded me so far here in Europe, and the last shipment that I heard about ~6 months ago was sold out before I could grab a copy :sigh:

Hopefully the stock situation remains relatively okay for awhile on the rest of the line though. I've been wanting to move on to AoR but the budget just isn't there at at the moment.

I can hit my my FLGSs, if you don't mind covering the rather exorbitant shipping from the US to Europe

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

I can hit my my FLGSs, if you don't mind covering the rather exorbitant shipping from the US to Europe

Thanks for the offer but I'm not willing to pay twice MSRP for the thing just to have it shipped here.

I was just in the States two weeks ago visiting family and was too stupid to remember to go RPG shopping while I was there :sigh:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Drone posted:

Thanks for the offer but I'm not willing to pay twice MSRP for the thing just to have it shipped here.

I was just in the States two weeks ago visiting family and was too stupid to remember to go RPG shopping while I was there :sigh:

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147667745/No-Disintegrations

Try their shipping?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

13 bucks for shipping there. Definitely better than "the cost of the book itself".

I'm gonna wait and see if the FFG layoff news has any impact on stock over the next few weeks/months before biting the bullet. Rumors I'm hearing now are "situation normal, we're just gonna use freelancers for everything now" and that it doesn't mean the series is forever out-of-print. But that can change quickly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so one of my characters picked a motivation of being a medical 'junk dealer' who's always on the lookout for new medicines and techniques. I was already planning on having Rakatan (or other pre-Republic) ruins in the background of the campaign, did they do any particular biotechnology I could use as a hook?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so one of my characters picked a motivation of being a medical 'junk dealer' who's always on the lookout for new medicines and techniques. I was already planning on having Rakatan (or other pre-Republic) ruins in the background of the campaign, did they do any particular biotechnology I could use as a hook?

Yes, but mostly in giant machine form. A rakatan regeneration machine factors into the sith inquisitor story in TOR, for example.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Worst case scenario to me is they give up the licence and people migrate to whoever publishes the next version and I lose my dolly and RPG games.

I know people always say "well it's not like they're coming to take your books!" whenever there's a new/different edition of Popular Game/setting but if it becomes the New Standard that everyone adopts, you're stuck with half a grand worth of useless books because a social game is nothing if there's not a network of players and I don't want to be like Harrison Ford lonely with his Master System.

I was one of the few who really liked D&D4E for what it was and frankly I'm too old to learn a new set of byzantine rules to pretend to be an elf or a wookiee or whatever every few years for a game I'll get to play 6 times during that period, 2 of which are character generation sessions that go nowhere after because soccer practice and PTA meetings and second shift and this and that.

I miss gaming in college TBH. Sorry about this post.

StashAugustine posted:

Triple Zero has set up the Singularity Engine on Tattooine. As it stands it's a nightmarish device to fuse flesh and metal in his quest to improve primitive, meat-based processing with droid efficiency-- but if he can sabotage it to save the people and steal the tech from the murderous droid it might have benign applications to help with bionic prosthetics.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 8, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Rakatan made "Force-powered technology" mainly by putting organic matter in everything. This is easy to reconcile with Palpatine's "Sith alchemy." The clone soldiers are all organic droids, as is Snoke. So you can make them responsible for any biotech you can imagine.

It would be quite a shock for a PC looking for lost medical technology to find it--and realize at the same time that's it's the product of abominable Axis Powers medical experiments.

Force-powered starships is such an utterly terrible idea that completely misses the point of Star Wars and everything in it that I want to shout and throw things. As a rule, obliterate anything that makes Star Wars more like Dungeons & Dragons. They're not at all alike.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

I miss gaming in college TBH.

Yeah this is a whole mood. I've been trying to get an eote game off the ground for months; session zero was gonna be in November and now we're looking at the last Saturday in January

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

Yeah this is a whole mood. I've been trying to get an eote game off the ground for months; session zero was gonna be in November and now we're looking at the last Saturday in January

Unironically when I'm in my dotage I want to be put in a home with fellow gamers (the old college crew, one can dream) where the nursing staff helps us push around old minis with our arthritic hands and I can put on coke-bottle glasses to read the back of the game master screen in the day room as my toothless old friends gather around to pretend to be dungeoneers and space cowboys and stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

One more question. One of my players is a Bothan spy/infiltrator who's motivation is that he's working for a Bothan politician who is allied with the Rebels but has his own agenda and thus wants to be cc'd on all the Alliance intel they get. This isn't like a Deep Dark Secret so it doesnt have to be hidden, and I'm going to talk about it to see how he wants to play it, but any tips on running something like that with a party member keepimg a secret?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

One more question. One of my players is a Bothan spy/infiltrator who's motivation is that he's working for a Bothan politician who is allied with the Rebels but has his own agenda and thus wants to be cc'd on all the Alliance intel they get. This isn't like a Deep Dark Secret so it doesnt have to be hidden, and I'm going to talk about it to see how he wants to play it, but any tips on running something like that with a party member keepimg a secret?

Like mechanically, or making the party not act on player knowledge that their dudes don't know but you find more convenient to discuss openly?

I think if one of the players starts trying to sniff him out, you start by asking "what makes YOUR CHARACTER think he's suspect?" If they provide an unconvincing answer, then have a grown up discussion on portraying your character based on what they can plausibly know/intuit.

If they drop a good in-character reason or observation, use the normal rules for opposed checks if they want to ferret out his transmission, tail him to a dead drop or whatever and let it play out and create a cool tense scene.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm barely out of university and I've got just as much difficulty organising games as some of you guys. My group had a session 1 in January 2019, and we're only just now getting to session 3 tomorrow.

Speaking of that game, I've been looking for advice on how to handle obligations and personal quests. The last session we introduced a new player who took up a lot of time with their (very enjoyable) personal story, and because the games are so infrequent I want to be able to give everyone a chance to have the same amount of spotlight for their character if they choose to take it, without focusing on the random rolls of the obligations system. Have been toying with just throwing out the obligation rules and instead just having every second quest or sidequest be related to personal stories. Is this a good idea?

Also, what sorts of personal quests work well in an RPG, by the way? Have got a few PCs who are former Separatists, so was thinking there could be maybe some sort of Indiana Jones-y adventure on Geonosis or another former Separatist planet? I've got one idea in my head pretty firmly - one of the characters got into some bother on Mandalore so I'm going to have him be hunted down by a Boba Fett-style bounty hunter who feels like he's been dishonoured or something like that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah basically in/out of character. I figure most of the stuff is just illicitly copying intel to the Bothans so I could just run it openly most of the time but I figure more experienced GMs could weigh in

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

cargohills posted:

I'm barely out of university and I've got just as much difficulty organising games as some of you guys. My group had a session 1 in January 2019, and we're only just now getting to session 3 tomorrow.

Speaking of that game, I've been looking for advice on how to handle obligations and personal quests. The last session we introduced a new player who took up a lot of time with their (very enjoyable) personal story, and because the games are so infrequent I want to be able to give everyone a chance to have the same amount of spotlight for their character if they choose to take it, without focusing on the random rolls of the obligations system. Have been toying with just throwing out the obligation rules and instead just having every second quest or sidequest be related to personal stories. Is this a good idea?

Also, what sorts of personal quests work well in an RPG, by the way? Have got a few PCs who are former Separatists, so was thinking there could be maybe some sort of Indiana Jones-y adventure on Geonosis or another former Separatist planet? I've got one idea in my head pretty firmly - one of the characters got into some bother on Mandalore so I'm going to have him be hunted down by a Boba Fett-style bounty hunter who feels like he's been dishonoured or something like that.

Keep the Obligation rules, you can use them to represent new debts/favors, as well as things like addictions, chronic wounds or illnesses, and things like that. Having a mechanic that keeps the character's past coming up on occasion is good and allows you to offer rewards beyond "simple" mechanical or financial increases.
I just use the character's Obligations as ways to introduce story twists and hooks organically in the world instead of waiting for the dice to come up. I may have an event or two in mind to use when it does, but if someone is being hunted down by a Bounty Hunter you can drop that in whenever it's appropriate, set the stage by having someone mention to the character that X was asking around for them or has been seen in the area. They're not around now but you've introduced the narrative that they're operating.
When the dice do come up for them, it doesn't always have to be an event that happens, it can also just represent the stress of the Obligation getting to the character, a reminder that it's still out there and could do something to them.

StashAugustine posted:

It's always going to vary from table to table but I've had good success with just having no player secrets from each other at all, that way they can play off each other and create drama without getting frustrated with each other. If you've got players that absolutely can't keep knowledge separate then it probably won't work, but it's something to keep in mind and mention to your players.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 8, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

kingcom posted:

RIP to the rpg company that was rare in that it wasn't being run by a rapist abuser or a environment that wasn't designed top down to protect people like this.

I appreciated how much of the artwork in the books wasn't weird or creepy. Low bar and all that but they really seemed to make an effort.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

That's pretty par for the course for Bothans. It's not like it hurts the party either, it's just backroom politicking which absolutely went on in the Rebellion. Feels less like a motivation than a simple racial/cultural trait that ALL Bothans would probably do! Hardly needs to be kept an OOC secret, and even IC, it's just a matter of the person disappearing while at the base making a report to their "other superior".

If you haven't read them, the Thrawn trilogy has a pretty clear character to base the politician on: Borsk Fey'la. During the Rebellion, he joined after the Battle of Yavin, but his own forces mostly did their own thing away from Alliance command. Black ops and spying, mostly, but also filling their own agenda, and feeding the political hunger of their leader as he prepared to pave the way for his prestige and power if the Rebels won. Being an agent of his, while otherwise working with the main Rebel forces, is entirely appropriate. If people found out who he was reporting to, they might clam up or prove less friendly, but it wouldn't ruin anything!

If, however, 'his own agenda' means that he's an evil maniac using the Rebels to bump off political enemies, destroy the assets of business rivals, and that kind of thing... Well, he'd get in serious trouble, to say the least!

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
So I bought and played the Force Awakens starter game with some friends and dug it enough to buy Edge of the Empire. Now I'm finally at a point where I want to start a real campaign (just need some players), and I want some more dice. AND I know that it's probably a better deal to get a second starter game because for $15 more (assuming I can't find a sale) I'm also getting some starter characters, tokens, sample adventure, etc.

So, my actual question: I have the EotE book. Should I grab the EotE starter game, or would it be better to grab Age of Rebellion one? And speaking of which, just how easy is it to run a game with PCs from both books? Yeah, I know they're all compatible, but just because they can work together doesn't always mean that they work together well. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Note: I'm not super interested in the Jedi book. I want to run something either in the Galactic Civil War setting or just after it, so either way jedi should be fairly rare. So unless there's something in that particular starter that's insanely good and would benefit a rebel or scum style game, I'd rather stick with one of the other two.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hellburger99 posted:

Should I grab the EotE starter game, or would it be better to grab Age of Rebellion one? And speaking of which, just how easy is it to run a game with PCs from both books? Yeah, I know they're all compatible, but just because they can work together doesn't always mean that they work together well. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Note: I'm not super interested in the Jedi book. I want to run something either in the Galactic Civil War setting or just after it, so either way jedi should be fairly rare. So unless there's something in that particular starter that's insanely good and would benefit a rebel or scum style game, I'd rather stick with one of the other two.

I would buy the starter for whichever type of game (EotE or AoR) you are more likely to want to play, imo they're both totally fine adventures to start a campaign with. Both starter adventures also have free PDF supplements on FFG's site that give you another adventure that links directly into the one you just paid (EotE is Long Arm of the Hutt, I forget what AoR's is).

It's really easy to run a game with PCs from all three books, but most people recommend you choose just one Obligation/Duty mechanic and stick with it for the entire party, even if it means you have a player with an AoR who takes Obligation. Morality is a little different and is probably also a bit up to you, but I've had Force Sensitive players use Morality on top of their Obligation/Duty.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
How do I find a morning or eutz game? Roll20's pretty dry for anything that isn't 5e.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm planning out a mixed party Clone Wars era game. How does this sound as a way to handle starting packages:

Use either F&D or AoR chargen (Clone Wars careers also allowed)
Skip the step to trade in morality/duty, starting credits and group resources.

You may take one of the following packages:
(Basic Lightsaber or Shoto Lightsaber), Heavy Robes, Jedi Utility Belt [Force Users Only]
(DC-15 Blaster Rifle, DC-15A Blaster Carbine, or 2 DC-17 Blaster Pistol), Phase 1 Clone Armor, Mk8 Combat Knife, 3 EMP Grenades, 5XP
500 Credits, 10XP
1500 Credits, 5XP
3000 Credits

I figured this is a way to unify the chargen systems in an intuitive way, allowing for the starting packages from the Rise of the Separatist book

Does anyone have any experience with Clone Wars games, and any advice for what to keep in mind or be wary of?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Has anyone ever played a session or read a good adventure focused on wildlife, and in particular on hunting a Rancor? I decided at the end of my last session to tell the player characters, as their boss (a Hutt), that their next job would be to capture a Rancor for him on Felucia. I have a few ideas that are semi-developed that are tangential to the main concept - I want them to go along with a local guide, meet an Imperial senator who imagines himself as a big game hunter but is completely hopeless, and I'm also thinking of throwing in a bounty hunter after one of the players to sprinkle in a bit of Predator-style "hunters becoming the hunted" fun.

Completely lost however on making the game feel fun without grounding it mainly in PC/NPC social interaction, so any suggestions for how to make a hunt exciting, and how to make it feel like an actual adventure in the wild, is very welcome. I do know that I want an opportunity to have a player who has not done as much in the limelight, as they're playing an Explorer character, and this would give them a decent time to shine.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Beyond the Rim starts with a jungle encounter (or it might be chapter two? It’s been a while) that I think is pretty thematic in terms of making the players feel like they’re in the wild. It’s anchored more around exploring a shipwreck, but it has a fair amount of thematic encounters that I think you could steal from and use as a jumping off point.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That's a good shout, I'll have a look.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Since this is going out of print and I'm not really keen to pick up the system again, if anyone wants a copy of Age of Rebellion Core Book and Stay on Target for shipping only, let me know (I'm in the UK btw).

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I've got Edge of the Empire and most of the supplements for it, and I have Force and Destiny and a few of the supplements for it.
Other than Strongholds of Resistance, I haven't really touched Age of Rebellion. Other than the duty system and the rebellion careers, does that line have anything in either the core or its supplements that the other two lines don't do as well?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Octavo posted:

I've got Edge of the Empire and most of the supplements for it, and I have Force and Destiny and a few of the supplements for it.
Other than Strongholds of Resistance, I haven't really touched Age of Rebellion. Other than the duty system and the rebellion careers, does that line have anything in either the core or its supplements that the other two lines don't do as well?

IIRC Mass Combat was mostly a thing for AoR if that's something you're interested in, but it's been a while.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tekopo posted:

Since this is going out of print and I'm not really keen to pick up the system again, if anyone wants a copy of Age of Rebellion Core Book and Stay on Target for shipping only, let me know (I'm in the UK btw).

i don't think this is going out of print at all, they might slow down production of new books but I see no reason to think they won't keep selling the books they've already made.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’m hoping they will reprint everything at least once with the new book coming out, but I have also been snatching up stuff as I see it because I’m worried about it all disappearing for sure. FFG doesn’t exactly have a great track record with reprints even when the department exists.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

neaden posted:

i don't think this is going out of print at all, they might slow down production of new books but I see no reason to think they won't keep selling the books they've already made.
Fair. Offer still stands.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Octavo posted:

The spy book has some expanded slicing/hacking information and the engineer book covers building ships and converting civilian vehicles to "assault" versions. The GM screen also comes with some useful information about using squads with player characters or (more importantly) NPCs that you don't want to be curbstomped by a party, although that can easily be summed up as "attach the minions to the nemesis, they now work as ablative hit points". The actual rules cover different formations and their benefits and such.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, so I can build the Knights of Ren some bikes.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Sweet custom bikes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sons of Anarchy, but Knights of Ren

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

RudeCat posted:

The spy book has some expanded slicing/hacking information and the engineer book covers building ships and converting civilian vehicles to "assault" versions. The GM screen also comes with some useful information about using squads with player characters or (more importantly) NPCs that you don't want to be curbstomped by a party, although that can easily be summed up as "attach the minions to the nemesis, they now work as ablative hit points". The actual rules cover different formations and their benefits and such.

Ok, that sounds really useful, especially for EotE players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

Sons of Anarchy, but Knights of Ren

"Ridin' through this world... all alone...
"Dark Side takes your soul, you're on your own..."