Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

Phone posting: there are complaints about notch copying or plagiarizing another indie game that got its source pirated or something. There is no real proof of this and I mostly see it mentioned by people who are already mad at him for being a dickhead.

The game was Infiniminer, the very first game by Zachtronics.

Infiniminer's source code was leaked shortly after its 1.0 release, prompting him to stop working on it. The rationale was that the code was now in the hands of the community and they'd continue the work if they wanted to; Zach had lost interest in the game.

Zach Barth posted:

I stopped working on Infiniminer when the source code was leaked. It was totally my fault, as that’s what I get for releasing an un-obfuscated .NET assembly, but it nevertheless enabled hackers to create hacked clients and players upset with my balancing decisions to fork and write their own clients and servers.”

Whether Notch based his Minecraft work on that leaked code... well, we'll never truly know. The game was a direct inspiration for Notch, he's said as much. There is no direct proof AFAIK.

Fun comment from that article's comment thread, which is infinitely funny in hindsight:

quote:

Theres also something to say about skills. These textures of infiniminer are horrible, the ones of Notch are much better. And Minecraft support a map bigger than earth, how big can be a infiniminer map? Maybe Notch is a better game dev than Zatch and as done a better game. Infiniminer looks a lot like a prototype in a bad way.

Hahaha. Haha. Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Fun comment from that article's comment thread, which is infinitely funny in hindsight:

Hahaha. Haha. Ha.

fine wine

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Read and despair. Maybe I should dig out my 1993 rant again…

I liked Strike Commander, but i got it given to me as a bonus CD that arrived with a receptionist’s computer along with Ultima something.

At that particular time, the best computer game I’d played was Enemy Unknown, and possibly tie-fighter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ErrEff posted:

Whether Notch based his Minecraft work on that leaked code... well, we'll never truly know. The game was a direct inspiration for Notch, he's said as much. There is no direct proof AFAIK.

Extremely unlikely. The first versions of Minecraft very closely followed what he had already done in Wurm Online's client code. Same language, same applet-in-a-browser, same renderer middleware.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just saw a kickscammers video on bad board game kcikstarters. The first entry was Star Traders, which was considered a failure because it had to have all it's artwork redone because it was plagiarized by Ryan Archer. Nice

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hav posted:

I liked Strike Commander, but i got it given to me as a bonus CD that arrived with a receptionist’s computer along with Ultima something.

At that particular time, the best computer game I’d played was Enemy Unknown, and possibly tie-fighter.

So two of the best games ever made (I'll include terror from the deep in regard to enemy unknown)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Agony Aunt posted:

SC is for adults with expendable income who want to be fully immersed in the most realistic space sim ever.

Which i read, its for man children who have no life, no family, who want to escape reality into a space based mil sim that is most certainly not the most realistic space sim ever due to how unreleasitic the whole flight model is and how space itself is scaled down massively compared with the real thing.

So this is something.

I feel like at this point you can evaluate SC on it's realism and simulation and where it's going.

I have not seen any videos where there is a simulation level event happening. There's nothing like Arma in the personal level combat, and even Frontier Pilot Simulator is leaps and bounds ahead of CIG in the flying and simulation department, not even going to games like Flight Simulator or Falcon.

The graphics are intended to "look real" and that seems to be as far as simulation and realistic as SC gets. Everything else is very much an arena game with some broken simulator mechanics thrown in, like black out events for characters because some arbitrary counter got to high/low.

It's a pretty safe bet that the big systems they flaunted along since they beginning are either not going to happen, will be massively stripped down, or are 40 years away.

Death of a spaceman mechanics, the complex repair system with different metal alloys and manually running welding systems, the complex telescope system, "science", farming in space, the game of Command and Conquer that was supposed to be on all the capital ships for the admirals to lord over during massive player battles of hundreds of ships, literally manually reloading guns and missiles inside capital ships... the list goes on.

Sure at some point the Dream was "total immersion and full simulation", but at nearly a decade in and none of these things happening... what's the simulation supposed to be? What's the realism supposed to be? Is it fully based around the ships "looking real" but having no realistic mechanics behind them that make this a "simulation"?

I'm just curious why people think this is going to be the next DCS when nothing happening in the gameplay world is going in that direction. The only advancements in the game seem to be purely tied to getting more ships and personal avatar accessories in there, rather than building a convincing simulation of any of these entities in tandem and how they correlate together.

I guess they also have no fast travel. So that must be where it is a simulation?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Why not just make one little, fully-developed star system?
Why not just have a star system with 2 planets to explore, a gritty space station, debris field. That's all we need to have a good time. Just make it all in one place and develop all of those things simultaneously. Instead of the bullshit feature creep. It would be a microcosm to experiment with economy and server strain and procedural generation and the like/

:v: because hindsight is 20/20 and early on they promised over 100 systems maybe?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnqwPN4EDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx-7vmu_dA

Both videos removed by /r/StarCitizen moderators :eng101:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Why not just make one little, fully-developed star system?
Why not just have a star system with 2 planets to explore, a gritty space station, debris field. That's all we need to have a good time. Just make it all in one place and develop all of those things simultaneously. Instead of the bullshit feature creep. It would be a microcosm to experiment with economy and server strain and procedural generation and the like/

:v: because hindsight is 20/20 and early on they promised over 100 systems maybe?

I've a terrible feeling that SQ54 will be exactly that. Just the one poor star system they have right now. They just rename SC as SQ, dodge the law suit, and move on from there.

Sure the basement commandos will be upset, but their frustration is not going to last. We know it, they know it, and Crobbler knows it. It's not like they can ask for a refund :lol:

What is a single player campaign anyway, if not a multiplayer mode where players number is one.

Other philosophical questions to rehash in 2020 include:
What is in a name?
Isn't beta still an alpha though?
What is release really?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Sure at some point the Dream was "total immersion and full simulation", but at nearly a decade in and none of these things happening... what's the simulation supposed to be? What's the realism supposed to be?

That's the beauty of it, with no game actually being developed dreams.txt is whatever it has to be to each individual backer.

What gets me is the screenshots posted earlier of ingame chat, it's one thing to dump money into a dream where you theorycraft or think about your pretty space jpegs or whatever, but how can they actually load up the game and still talk about dreams when it's obvious that they'll never happen? Those are the real delusional people, at least the ones that don't touch the game can just imagine what they want in it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

So this is something.

I feel like at this point you can evaluate SC on it's realism and simulation and where it's going.

I have not seen any videos where there is a simulation level event happening. There's nothing like Arma in the personal level combat, and even Frontier Pilot Simulator is leaps and bounds ahead of CIG in the flying and simulation department, not even going to games like Flight Simulator or Falcon.

The graphics are intended to "look real" and that seems to be as far as simulation and realistic as SC gets. Everything else is very much an arena game with some broken simulator mechanics thrown in, like black out events for characters because some arbitrary counter got to high/low.

It's a pretty safe bet that the big systems they flaunted along since they beginning are either not going to happen, will be massively stripped down, or are 40 years away.

Death of a spaceman mechanics, the complex repair system with different metal alloys and manually running welding systems, the complex telescope system, "science", farming in space, the game of Command and Conquer that was supposed to be on all the capital ships for the admirals to lord over during massive player battles of hundreds of ships, literally manually reloading guns and missiles inside capital ships... the list goes on.

Sure at some point the Dream was "total immersion and full simulation", but at nearly a decade in and none of these things happening... what's the simulation supposed to be? What's the realism supposed to be? Is it fully based around the ships "looking real" but having no realistic mechanics behind them that make this a "simulation"?

I'm just curious why people think this is going to be the next DCS when nothing happening in the gameplay world is going in that direction. The only advancements in the game seem to be purely tied to getting more ships and personal avatar accessories in there, rather than building a convincing simulation of any of these entities in tandem and how they correlate together.

I guess they also have no fast travel. So that must be where it is a simulation?

You obviously don't understand simulation development

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

I've a terrible feeling that SQ54 will be exactly that. Just the one poor star system they have right now. They just rename SC as SQ, dodge the law suit, and move on from there.

Sure the basement commandos will be upset, but their frustration is not going to last. We know it, they know it, and Crobbler knows it. It's not like they can ask for a refund :lol:

What is a single player campaign anyway, if not a multiplayer mode where players number is one.

Other philosophical questions to rehash in 2020 include:
What is in a name?
Isn't beta still an alpha though?
What is release really?

:trustme: So yes it is still in the pipeline. I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh Squadron 42 is cancelled or Where’s Squadron 42!?” Squadron 42 was just a game mode for people to play the story elements of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together: Flying, walking around, shooting, doing all the rest of the stuff, all together, that is what is in 4.0, that’s what it’s 4.1.

https://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/what-happened-to-star-marine

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CIG just hit 2.5 million web accounts :toot:

It took them ~2.5 years to get from 1 million to 2 million (~400,000 new accounts/year)

It has taken them ~1.75 to add another half a million (~286,000 new accounts/year)

Got some ground to make up in 2020 but remember the sales can only go up up up!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

error 404: game not found

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The Titanic posted:

So this is something.

This has always bugged me, but I think the "simulation" thing comes from one simple thing: the ability to aim in a different direction than you're heading. Like I posted earlier, a guy came up to me at work and talked about how it wasn't just a dumb space sim, it actually simulated flying in space because you can do this One Weird Trick.

To the layman, that single thing = realistic flight simulation in space.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Peepers posted:

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING STAR CITIZEN.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mr. Peepers posted:

error 404: game not found

poo poo, 404!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

It took them ~2.5 years to get from 1 million to 2 million (~400,000 new accounts/year)

It has taken them ~1.75 to add another half a million (~286,000 new accounts/year)

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

ErrEff posted:

The game was Infiniminer, the very first game by Zachtronics.

Infiniminer's source code was leaked shortly after its 1.0 release, prompting him to stop working on it. The rationale was that the code was now in the hands of the community and they'd continue the work if they wanted to; Zach had lost interest in the game.

Whoa this takes me back. The game was also horribly written for a multiplayer game - almost every single thing was client side and so it was very easy to hack. For example you could avoid death just by commenting out a line on the client that called the kill player function. Goon server forks tried to fix that but just made Zach mad.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tulenian posted:

Whoa this takes me back. The game was also horribly written for a multiplayer game - almost every single thing was client side and so it was very easy to hack. For example you could avoid death just by commenting out a line on the client that called the kill player function. Goon server forks tried to fix that but just made Zach mad.

Wait, you modified the. ini files? you loving monsters!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

But I thought there was a perfect storm afoot? A new generation of young gamers were supposed to push this thing to 10 million players stat? And purge the old salt whiners from the ranks?

What is this, some kind of boomer affectation or something?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey can you do me a favor and pop a quick edit on this? I know it's a reddit quote but SA is cracking down on slurs bigtime and I'd hate to see someone have to donate to the spine fund over a quote of a quote of a racist star citizen player.

Look who think he's a mod. Your time has passed oldy.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

So this is something.

This encapsulates our whole point about SC in this thread. Chris’ pitch for Star Citizen is a massive MMO with Eve like scale combined with a first person space simulation and role playing experience of unprecedented depth and fidelity. You can do anything from becoming a professional Sataball player to serving drinks on a luxury passenger liner.

But here we are 8 years and 300 million dollars in and they’re still struggling with the basic engine and networking functionality necessary to make a small scale arena shooter with ~50 players. The only “progress” has been whatever art assets they can shove into their ramshackle CryEngine mod. At this point, you could give them another 8 years and 300 million and they still couldn’t deliver what they’ve cumulatively promised.

No reasonable person could look at this mess and believe that Chris’ pitch for the game is a few years away.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There are tabletop RPGs that let you live out the fantasy of being a spaceman with a huge galaxy to explore, if you're just going to roleplay with your friends, do that. They don't cost thousands of dollars.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Elderbean posted:

There are tabletop RPGs that let you live out the fantasy of being a spaceman with a huge galaxy to explore, if you're just going to roleplay with your friends, do that. They don't cost thousands of dollars.

are there really? sounds cool

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elderbean posted:

tabletop games don't have even a small fraction of the fidelity of Chris Roberts' masterpiece, Star Citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Smallest Secret

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

[Landing claim] Legal gameplay (moved to 3.6)

Never forget.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Lord Stimperor posted:

Just saw a kickscammers video on bad board game kcikstarters. The first entry was Star Traders, which was considered a failure because it had to have all it's artwork redone because it was plagiarized by Ryan Archer. Nice

How on Earth does that dude keep getting work?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

So this is something.

The Citizens are dreaming about big set pieces from games like Call of Duty,. Freespace 2, Star Wars and etc. We already see that a simulation like Elite, those "set pieces" don't stick. The battleships warping in for the 42nd time, and the procedural generated battles aren't the same as a level built around proper direction.

Chris thinks that with enough tech and AI, he can make all this happen naturally. Shitizens are buying ships everyday to the effect that ONE DAY, they will experience all this in proc-gen bird glory in their fleets.

So, buy an Idris.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheCrazyTonkGuy/status/1216404713534451712

:cheeky:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

no_recall posted:

The Citizens are dreaming about big set pieces from games like Call of Duty,. Freespace 2, Star Wars and etc. We already see that a simulation like Elite, those "set pieces" don't stick. The battleships warping in for the 42nd time, and the procedural generated battles aren't the same as a level built around proper direction.

Chris thinks that with enough tech and AI, he can make all this happen naturally. Shitizens are buying ships everyday to the effect that ONE DAY, they will experience all this in proc-gen bird glory in their fleets.

So, buy an Idris.

:five:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What mad lads! 11 whole people! Insane!

Maybe next time they can aim for a dozen! What an achievement that will be!

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

reddit posted:

Possibility once VR support is added

I plan on making a to scale replica of whatever ship im flying in and integrating my IRL bathroom into it. I'll walk to the bathroom while still in VR and pee IRL into the ship's toilet. Immersion level 100.

Anyone else have similar epic plans?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Remember when Jared and Tyler talked about playing Squadron 42?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CZrmCtqdk
(at 17:41 if the link doesn't work)

Good times.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

SOON(TM)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

iron buns posted:

Remember when Jared and Tyler talked about playing Squadron 42?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CZrmCtqdk
(at 17:41 if the link doesn't work)

Good times.

At the time, still also hyping backers for the amazing slice they’d see at CitizenCon in a few months.

A year later, the stunning debut of an hour long wanderthon with only a few minutes of totally faked combat, and Chris saying they’d be wrapping it up the following year...

Total scumbags, anybody who touted that bullcrap... including ‘good guy’ Tyler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Agony Aunt posted:

> In a letter included in the game’s manual, Chris Roberts famously called Strike Commander the “Apocalypse Now” of computer games. At the time, Strike Commander was far over budget and a year overdue. Getting the game out had been a Herculean task, taking far more blood, sweat and treasure than anyone had ever imagined.

Sounds so familiar...

Only 1 year overdue. Thats practically ahead of schedule for a Chris Roberts game, by Chris Roberts. He obviously didn't understand game development back then half as well as he does now.