Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Here is my work truck after sitting/melting for 2 days after the storm. Still had around 18" of snow on it. Wind came from the east too so it drifted in really weird locations around the yard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is it going to be 20 degrees or a foot of snow tomorrow?

nobody knows!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody needs pegboard hit me up because holy poo poo i have so loving much

I have 30ish sheets of 4x4ish. around 500 square feet. I need like 160 square feet. I think i can pawn 40ish off on my sister, the rest is for whoever wants it. I also have a poo poo ton of pegs but they're just the long single retail style ones. I have to hit up the pick-n-pull probably around oct 30/nov 1 so i can haul some down of anybody wants some

I also have a whole bunch of these shelving remnants which i kept for hacky patches on future rusty cars, and some smaller, much thicker 6x10ish chunks, probably have enough sheet metal to build an entire fiat.

I'm tempted to get a plasma cutter, and give my truck scale armor.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well assoc. that hosts the 3 ice races this winter cancelled the UTV class last minute because the registration wasn't high enough. Leaving me with a race machine setup with no events after I spent $3k in mods to set it up.

Can anyone tell me if there are any ice race or rally circuit type events in Alberta that I could travel to ? It's a Wildcat XX UTV with safety harnesses, metal roof, half windshield and 4 wheel drive. Weighs in around 2050lbs in race dress up. I have spiked tires and normal tires.

Sao
Sep 29, 2008
I just found this thread for the first time and I’m going to bless you all with a story.

Last week I bought a new (used) car. The whole experience has mostly been a nightmare to be honest but it’s all said and done now and everything was mostly good except the vehicle in question doesn’t have heated seats. That’s just not gonna fly. I thought about paying to have them installed but the place in Calgary I found with the best recommendations (Car Salon) quoted me $630 to get them done.

So I just did it myself. Yesterday. In the driveway.

The whole experience actually wasn’t terrible except for running the wiring harnesses under the carpet and into the fuse box, but I’m an absolute idiot for doing it outside. It was cold as gently caress by the time I finished. Took me about 7 hours including a lunch break to do both front seats, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Never again in the cold but definitely happier with $110 for two heaters than $600+. I guess next weekend when I do the stereo receiver I’ll try to free up some garage space.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I don't know if they just screwed up or what but TDotPerformance had Motegi Tracklite MR137 for $120 a wheel right now. This may be due to the black Friday sales.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Anyone out towards Grande Prairie who can give me an idea of what backroad driving is like in the winter? Does it accumulate or does it get so cold that it blows off?

Will be up that way next winter. My hatchback was a champ with winters on but I need to upsize and I'm debating between a Pacifica, an AWD Sienna, and a Traverse. And maybe a Suburban depending on how the new model looks and how much I hate fiscal responsibility.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Define "backroads"

Do you mean like gravel country roads? Those are maintained year round, typically by the county. If there is an especially bad snowfall or winds causing drifting, it's possible it might take a day or 3 to get plowed but you can usually get somewhere avoiding the worst roads. A full size pickup is the vehicle of choice for 90% of the population that drives them with regularity with Suburbans being utilized by menonites or other big families.

If you're talking off-roading (Which I doubt considering the vehicles you mentioned), then yeah, depending on the year and where exactly you are talking about (IE: South of GP towards the foothills) it can be waist high snow in some areas for months. Haul roads and lease roads should have some maintenance though.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Gravel roads, yeah. No real off-roading. Maybe a logging road in the summer for camping. We rented a cabin this past summer that was at the end of a road that would have been unkind to anything with less ground clearance than our Outback.

The more I look at third row crossovers the more they look like an expensive way to avoid the banality of minivans, and not much else. The dream car would be our Outback but with a third row but to get cargo space like that I'm looking at a Suburban or Expedition Max and I really don't want to spend that much. The only reason I'm looking at a Traverse is because it has slightly better trunk space than most, and because 5000lbs towing capacity would have made some things a lot easier in the past few years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They generally see a lot of oilfield traffic and get pounded to a nice, flat, icy sheen bordered by ditches leveled off smooth by the wind. Logging trucks don't run fenders so don't get too attached to your windshield. If you go out during spring break-up, it will be nothing but mud, but there will be zero truck traffic.

Your biggest enemy is going to be washboard. You'll want suspension travel, sidewall, and a full size spare.

I wouldn't voluntarily go out that way in winter. Here are the few pictures i have from that area.

If it's leisure, wait till the road bans are on

You also might need a radio license for a VHF radio, and you won't get company specific channels, but you shouldn't hit a populated oilfield/logging road without LADD 1-4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone knows of a good deal on a 40+ SCFM output gas powered air compressor or even a small tow behind compressor I'm interested. I'll drive to get it. I want something for blowing out irrigation and this past fall made me annoyed as gently caress with flakey local guys that "should get to you"

I'll loving buy one and charge my neighbors $50 to do it and drive the flakey fucks away blocks around me.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 15, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What's your price range?

1500 bucks gets you a gas powered rotary screw compressor at auction. 70cfm@110psi.

A step below that is pretty much princess auto poo poo near full price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Hook me up. I'll buy you lunch.
E: To be clear, I'm talking gasoline, not natural gas. That's a little tough for mobility!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 15, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Hook me up. I'll buy you lunch.
E: To be clear, I'm talking gasoline, not natural gas. That's a little tough for mobility!

most auctions shut down in dec-jan, RB has 32k items listed, by spring it will be close to 100k. There is almost nothing in the listings right now but if you're gearing up for next fall you'll definitely find one.

https://www.rbauction.com/boss-bullet-air-compressor?invId=11682826&id=ci&auction=salt-lake-city-ut-2019252

Something like this windy boi will go for around $400 but with 2500 hours almost isn't worth the drive. Some will come up like it in Edmonton(maybe even Lethbridge) in spring/summer with ~250 hours for under $2k. it'll have a ~25hp honda or kohler V-twin gas engine.

They weigh around 400lbs, so not like, pull around on a wagon mobile, but you can throw it in the back of a pickup for the season.

You can get a trailer diesel compressor for the same amount if you're fine with old and ugly. even low hour 4cyl kubota 170cfms seem to go for $6k these days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's the kind of thing. I'd actually prefer a tow behind, but our company frowns on towing things for personal usage with our company issued trucks so I probably shouldn't. That said, a little tow behind like this would be *perfect* https://www.rbauction.com/2017-atlas-copco-xas110-sa-air-compressor?invId=11717041&id=ci&auction=chilliwack-bc-2019158

What is "high hours" for a compressor?

Finding one locally would be the cats rear end, but I'm not against a bit of a drive. Obviously no rush, not needed until next fall.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could just buy a $1000 shitbox Chev half-ton and sell the truck when you're done with the season; pay a local detailer to do the interior and mark it up. If there's one thing your part of the world has, it's farmer trucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rotary compressors can pretty much run forever on clean air., but the little v-twin gassers don't seem to like more than 2-3000 hours. Rebuild kits are $200 if that's all it takes.

I've seen 3 cyl kubotas at 25,000 hours in light plants.

Those atlas copcos in chilliwack look really good and are easy to ship so they'll probably go for $4-5k and end up in south america with a new hour meter.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could just buy a $1000 shitbox Chev half-ton and sell the truck when you're done with the season; pay a local detailer to do the interior and mark it up. If there's one thing your part of the world has, it's farmer trucks.

It would be cooler to see a Porsche towing a compressor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Agreed. But, slidebite, don't you have a Tacoma? Or did you get rid of that red Taco years ago?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That was a company truck. I then got a blue one, now I'm on a full size Silverado (which, TBH, is far nicer than the Taco and better on gas). I could buy a beater, but then it's another vehicle to plate, insure, park, etc. I'd rather not... but I suppose it's a possibility.

Powershift, hypothetically, how would someone buy something like the little one from Chilliwack and ship?

Powershift posted:

That could be my gimmick

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

just another posted:

Anyone out towards Grande Prairie who can give me an idea of what backroad driving is like in the winter? Does it accumulate or does it get so cold that it blows off?

Will be up that way next winter. My hatchback was a champ with winters on but I need to upsize and I'm debating between a Pacifica, an AWD Sienna, and a Traverse. And maybe a Suburban depending on how the new model looks and how much I hate fiscal responsibility.

Explorer has third row seats.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
howdy

I want to keep my inherited 1991 Accord rust free for as long as possible. With a flashlight under the well liner I can see itty bitty bits of surface rust starting in the usual honda/mazda spot behind the rear wheel where the metal meets the bumper cover. What can I do to prolong the inevitable?

It was garaged it's whole life, will continue to be, but I like driving it and want to keep doing that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a good experience with POR-15 on my rusty, rusty bimmer in Saskatchewan several years ago. I bought the "trunk floor kit" that came with everything but the brushes, spent some time ineptly sanding and picking away at the rusty spot, built up the area with the putty they provide, very incompetently sanded that down, cleaned it all up with the cleaner they provided, then slathered it on. Because of what POR-15 is, the final step is to throw away every tool and item of clothing that came within 1m of the work, then cry a single tear for every never-to-be-removed drop of black forever-goo found on any other part of the car (there were many tears that day).

POR-15 is pretty good stuff, in my opinion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Let it be known (cause I'm gonna forget by then) that if the current sitting US President continues this role until at least January 1, 2020 Slidebite owes SSS $50 CAD; if Donnie T. by any means loses said job (and jfc we can all hope) before that time the inverse is true.
Good meet guys, thanks for the beers/wings and the excuse to hang out Slidebite.
totally forgot about this but I'm a man of my word.

PM me your address for a crisp $50 bill sss or your email for an interac etrans.

But hey he was impeached!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

totally forgot about this but I'm a man of my word.

PM me your address for a crisp $50 bill sss or your email for an interac etrans.

But hey he was impeached!

Done! I did write it on the calendar but I got too busy to chase you. :)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, thread,

I have a concern about my wife's newish car (2019 Mercedes GLC 350). I took out a relative to show them the hybrid engine, and when I was reversing back into the garage after about a 10 minute drive, I noticed a smoky smell filling the cabin. It dissipated pretty quickly, and there's no visible smoke in the cabin or coming from anywhere in the engine bay. The smell was MUCH stronger inside the cabin than near the car or in the engine bay. Since it happened only in reverse, I presume it has something to do with the automatic transmission seal and the cold weather. There's no warning indicators in the car and I'm pretty sure there's no way to check the transmission fluid level manually in a new Benz.

How urgent of a problem is this? Like is a little bit of tranny fluid leaking normal in some cars when it's balls-out cold? Or should I try to get the car into a shop right away? Also, kind of hilariously since it was the whole point of the drive, the electric engine didn't kick in at any point, but I presume that's because it's -25 and the heater won't really work without a warm engine.

edit: I'm also asking Alberta AI rather than a Mercedes thread because nobody knows cold weather and cars like Alberta.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Albino Squirrel posted:

How urgent of a problem is this? Like is a little bit of tranny fluid leaking normal in some cars when it's balls-out cold?

It is not normal. Could be salt or dirt burning off the exhaust though? When it gets really cold, exhaust doesn't dissipate as quickly as it usually does, so you're backing over your own exhaust clouds.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Being a hybrid, It's possible it might have an electric auxiliary heater for when the engine isn't working a lot that will be burning off the manufacturing schmoo the first few times it is used.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
So as it turns out I had hit the parking brake when I was reversing and that's what was making the horrible smell. Yeah. :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought those things had like some sort of turbo-smart electric parking brake specifically designed to keep us fleshlings from breaking it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yo squirrel,

Your GLC has an engine known to consume oil when the engine ventilation system freezes up, which happens at cold temps like we’re experiencing now. When this happens, it will suck all of the oil out of the crankcase and blow it out the exhaust. Watch out for oil smell or smoke, check engine light may or may not come on. If it gets bad enough, there will be oil dripping out the tail pipes. The engine does not have a low oil warning, so if it’s not caught it will lead to catastrophic engine failure.

I’m not saying your engine IS about to ‘splode, but it’s still an option.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, my friend decided that windrows are for losers, and used the front bumper of her new ram 1500 sport to flatten out the windrow. I believe alcohol is involved. Anyone know of any alberta steel bumper fabricators that are cheaper than m-line ?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We could probably bang a piece of rebar into shape for $700.

There's a few Rams at pick n pull but I don't know what the compatibility is like between generations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm pretty loving sick of this cold at this point. Yes you don't need to remind me that it was like this when we were younger, etc etc.

My vehicles aren't liking this one bit. My '99 Alero was pretty decent at starting, whatever the weather (though I probably should have been plugging in the heater under -30 more often). What's the most reliable out there for starting in the cold? Or is everything new poo poo.

Been thinking about a new truck, but everything is getting bigger and bigger, so might just end up with the same SUV everyone else has.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My truck will rumble to life at -30 without a block heater, but it sure don't like it.

So if you're looking for easy starting, strike 7 liter+ diesels off the list.

I've got a bunch of poo poo to do on the car to make it driveable in the cold and i wasted the warmish december weather dicking around with stupid poo poo. Hopefully it gets back up into the -10 range so i can go outside and fix some poo poo stay inside watching old movies

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My 2012 Sonic's battery exploded (ok ok, leaked), which I noticed after trying to give it a boost and then really looking beneath the battery after. And I don't really feel like trying to change it out at -40 thanks. Also there's a little nut helping hold the battery in from below that used to be connected by a cable to prevent you from losing it, but is just loose now from the last time the battery killed itself.

Maybe I should be buying better batteries.

Diesel isn't really in the running, but I was looking at a used Buick Enclave, which someone talk me out of it please because isn't it basically just a GMC Acadia for a lot more money?

Wish we had better public transit here. It's pretty annoying that taking the bus takes more time than walking and there's no service after 7pm or on Sundays.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EcoBoost 3.5 started at -41 without a block heater. But it went into limp mode for a bit with a check engine light.

Also found this in a paper bag in the back seat. It's frozen solid, and pushed a bunch out of the sealed cap. Opened the door to vodka smell.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I am legit worried about my intercooler icing up when I'm doing highway speeds right now. Last thing I need is a chunk of ice forming going on a destruction spree.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hi from the banana belt at -27 tonight :haw: ...and a positively balmy 0 this weekend

I will never be without a garage again.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2020

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fuuuuuck.
I'll take this mild (so far) winter NE Ontario has had.

I do not miss that frigid cold bullshit.

Also, gently caress Canadian Tire and their "Battery Warranty". Fuckin crooks. Time to just buy a new battery for the truck, since the 3-ish-year old one in there goes hosed as soon as the temperature drops below -25C or so. Then 15 minutes on a trickle charger to warm it up, and its fine. Things like a goddamn iPhone with how it hates the cold.