Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Helith posted:

:confused:

Wrong thread maybe?

Entirely. Was meant to be the POE thread.
My apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So watching the show I learned Geralt’s mother was a mage but I thought those can’t have kids, what’s up with that?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In the books, magic just has a tendency to sterilise much like radiation. The uterus removal surgery was an invention of the show, but they kept Geralt's mother being a sorceress so who knows whether or not they have an excuse for that

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

SirSamVimes posted:

In the books, magic just has a tendency to sterilise much like radiation. The uterus removal surgery was an invention of the show, but they kept Geralt's mother being a sorceress so who knows whether or not they have an excuse for that

There is also a quote by Tessaia de Vris (the headmistress of Aretusa) about how she thinks all apprentices need to be sterilized in the books. They might use that later as a policy put in after Geralt's mom became a sorceress - making the "you need to lose your uterus" not as much a 'need' as a "well we need a sacrifice for this ritual and we also want to sterilize every mage so hey, two birds with one stone".

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There is also a quote by Tessaia de Vris (the headmistress of Aretusa) about how she thinks all apprentices need to be sterilized in the books. They might use that later as a policy put in after Geralt's mom became a sorceress - making the "you need to lose your uterus" not as much a 'need' as a "well we need a sacrifice for this ritual and we also want to sterilize every mage so hey, two birds with one stone".

Yeah, it's this. Magic doesn't sterilize you, Aretuza does. We don't even know that male mages are infertile, or e.g. druids.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

And it makes sense. If Mages are gonna go sterile anyway (most times) and not bare children, it's an understandable sacrifice that will make sure they don't have to pull that level of power from something else. If all power comes from sources like life, fire, etc, then perhaps before they were ripping out reproductive organs they were draining the wizards own life and it took a much longer time to recover. I think there's a lot of wiggle room to make this particular facet of magic in the show work and still be consistent. Since we know Nilfgaard doesn't care how their sorceresses look, maybe they have schools where that sacrifice doesn't happen at all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

poo poo yeah good point, nightmarish dictators are never charismatic, that just wouldn't make sense

He can be the next Radovid for all I care, if the choice is between two characters who are barely in the game and him, I'm gonna pick him so I can keep reading that sweet dialog.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

He can be the next Radovid for all I care, if the choice is between two characters who are barely in the game and him, I'm gonna pick him so I can keep reading that sweet dialog.

If Djikstra wanted support he should’ve sent some goons to Kaer Morhen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If he wanted to live he shouldn't have hosed with thaler and roache. For all of roache's flaws he at least had your back on a suicide defense.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Roche is an SS officer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Roche is no better or worse than Dijkstra but he never once tried to cross Geralt.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roche is an SS officer.

Elves are the loving worst and everyone knows it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Rolling around at the speed of sound,
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
Guess what lies ahead? Only one way to find out!
Must keep on moving ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Trusting in what you can't see,
Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
Trust me and we will escape from the city.
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, prove it to you.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roche is an SS officer.

in witcher land, thats not saying much since pretty much everyone in the militaries of the continent outside a few people is at best some "clean" wermacht type of monster or some Oskar Dirlewanger sadistic gently caress. i took roche because i got along with him in 2 and he had never hosed with me and he had my back.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 14, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Djikstra was right and the ignorant peasants absolutely need to be dragged forcibly into civilized society, as the events of W3 show leaving them alone leads to them deciding to kill their nonhuman neighbors every time they have a bad crop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Djikstra was right and the ignorant peasants absolutely need to be dragged forcibly into civilized society, as the events of W3 show leaving them alone leads to them deciding to kill their nonhuman neighbors every time they have a bad crop

Unlike Redania Nilfgaard is actually able to do that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Rolling around at the speed of sound,
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
Guess what lies ahead? Only one way to find out!
Must keep on moving ahead,
No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
Trusting in what you can't see,
Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, follow me.
Follow me, set me free,
I'll make it through, prove it to you.

whats that dog barking at, hasn't he ever seen an obese nobleman and a dude with cat eyes chasing a ghost baby through the town in the dead of night before?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

whats that dog barking at, hasn't he ever seen an obese nobleman and a dude with cat eyes chasing a ghost baby through the town in the dead of night before?

the Lubberkin just zooming off around like a rocket never gets not funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0 i just picture this sound with it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Roche is an SS officer a loving bro that has your back when it counts and isn't dumb enough to try to kill you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Norton the First posted:

Elves are the loving worst and everyone knows it.

Dwarves are way better than any loving useless human however and everyone knows it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dwarves are way better than any loving useless human however and everyone knows it.

Very very true. Dwarves are bros.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Playing through this again, the soundtrack is just stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_W8Nu0iEM

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Same here, the soundtrack makes me want to buy a hurdy gurdy

Edit: oh and a Byzantine lyra!

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 14, 2020

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A fun (book) fact is that the elves were the original invaders of the Continent, with dwarves, gnomes and maybe halflings as the indigenous peoples. When the elves showed up in their white ships the dwarves just decided not to fight and instead hosed off to the mountains.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dont the elves come from a different world entirely also?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Playing through this again myself and I'll third that the soundtrack is fantastic.

Also, it's frustrating as hell to not be able to go to Kaer Morhen early to get the Wolf armor.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I really love how close Witcher 3 Kaer Morhen is to the W1 version, it even has the giant hole in the wall.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I really love how close Witcher 3 Kaer Morhen is to the W1 version, it even has the giant hole in the wall.

One of many reasons I play all three games back to back at a time. There’s a lot of connecting tissue and overarching plots between all three games. Like finding out late in The Witcher 3 exactly how and why you woke up in front of Kaer Morhen in Witcher 1, the Wild Hunt hounding you in The Witcher 1, etc, Geralt’s memory subplot, etc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Playing through this again myself and I'll third that the soundtrack is fantastic.

Also, it's frustrating as hell to not be able to go to Kaer Morhen early to get the Wolf armor.

It's really weird, loving around in Velen I have treasure hunt quests to get like 4 different armor sets AND their upgrades that I won't be able to use for dozens of levels, but the level 14 wolf armor is locked behind half the main plot.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Dont the elves come from a different world entirely also?

Yup. Both races are interdimentional invaders.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tender Bender posted:

It's really weird, loving around in Velen I have treasure hunt quests to get like 4 different armor sets AND their upgrades that I won't be able to use for dozens of levels, but the level 14 wolf armor is locked behind half the main plot.

Exactly this. Just put in a fast travel post so I can get the armor and stuff!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Tender Bender posted:

I think it's mostly fine considering the school sets don't get super OP until you can Masterwork em.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Wolf Armor is kinda meh stats-wise, and in terms of fashion it's not very slick either. It's in-between badass and dumpy. If you're going to look dumpy, go full dumpy with the Griffin set.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And there's a letter from CDPR at Kaer Morhen when you're searching for the wolf gear that apologizes for the way the armor was implemented

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm just starting this for the first time, is there a mod that makes it easier to locate the Gwent players in the world? I've been running around Velen and Novigrad like a madman screaming CARDS

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mp5 posted:

I'm just starting this for the first time, is there a mod that makes it easier to locate the Gwent players in the world? I've been running around Velen and Novigrad like a madman screaming CARDS

Not a mod per se, but there's quests to follow that show you who has the good stuff, and pretty much every merchant will play, including innkeepers, smiths, and salesman.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slight distinction: (almost) every *static* merchant will play gwent. The traveling ones you see on paths and the ones that show up when you liberate an area or whatever else do not play.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Always check a merchant or bartenders shop before playing them. Most have cards to purchase. And stock up on alcohol whenever you get a chance. You'll thank yourself later when making potions.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
There is surely never a need to buy alcohol, the stuff is everywhere! Cordials are the thing to buy, so you can make White Gull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mike the TV posted:

Always check a merchant or bartenders shop before playing them. Most have cards to purchase. And stock up on alcohol whenever you get a chance. You'll thank yourself later when making potions.

It's so annoying when you finally get those cave troll livers or cockatrice stomachs, only to find that you're missing the cherry/mandrake cordials you need to make the white gull potion base, and none of the bartenders seem to have any :negative: