Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder what the Bruce Lee box would include? Shout just did decent releases for The Big Boss and The Chinese Connection not that long ago.

Shout's box has Fist of Fury, The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, Game of Death, and Game of Death II (same as some ancient Fox DVD sets years ago). They later issued Fist of Fury and The Big Boss separately from newer 4K masters, but they quickly went OOP. I recall Way of the Dragon and Game of Death were both upscales.

FortuneStar owns the films and I'm guessing Criterion/Janus has the rights to their library in the US now. It wouldn't surprise me if they did a theatrical reissue.

edit: It's also possible they'll get Enter the Dragon from WB

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout's box has Fist of Fury, The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, Game of Death, and Game of Death II (same as some ancient Fox DVD sets years ago). They later issued Fist of Fury and The Big Boss separately from newer 4K masters, but they quickly went OOP. I recall Way of the Dragon and Game of Death were both upscales.

FortuneStar owns the films and I'm guessing Criterion/Janus has the rights to their library in the US now. It wouldn't surprise me if they did a theatrical reissue.

edit: It's also possible they'll get Enter the Dragon from WB

That would be one very nice box set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Started watching the '70s sci-fi that was put on the Criterion Channel and No Blade of Grass is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'd take pretty much any HK action box set over a bruce lee one personally

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, we got Jackie Chan recently at least

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’d love a Brucesploitation set with proper remastering.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was actually looking for a few Wong Kar-wai films last sale but a few of them were unavailable. I hope the box set is out for the July sale at least.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Just give me Chunking and Days of Being Wild :pray:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gimme that original cut of The Grandmaster

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Gimme that upscaled laserdisc rip of the original cut of Ashes of Time 🤞

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Gimme that original cut of The Grandmaster

I said this for a while, too, until I saw it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just in case anyone else has been meaning to see Hardcore with George C Scott it's on the channel and it whips rear end

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Bring it onnnnn

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1215017322886389760?s=19

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That 70’s sci fi collection sure is nifty. It’s also pretty big. I’ve already seen the biggest ones (THX, Clockwork, Death Race 2000, and Mad Max). What would you say are the best of the rest?

No Blade of Grass
The Omega Man
ZPG
Westworld
Soylent Green
The Terminal Man
Rollerball
A Boy and His Dog
Shivers
The Ultimate Warrior
Logan’s Run
God Told Me To
Demon Seed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember liking Omega Man way more than I thought I would the last time I watched it. Logan’s Run starts solid but really runs out of gas and gets stale once they escape the city. I know a lot of folks love A Boy and His Dog but I just couldn’t get through it. Westworld is good but the last hour-ish is just a pretty standard cat and mouse chase that doesn’t hit the same highs as the first half of the movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Demon Seed is bonkers and owns. This transfer is great too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A Boy And His Dog is one of those movies where I can understand why people can't get through it, but man the ending really is what makes it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

God Told Me To is amazing and everyone should watch it. One of two movies in existence to feature a man with a chest vagina.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

That 70’s sci fi collection sure is nifty. It’s also pretty big. I’ve already seen the biggest ones (THX, Clockwork, Death Race 2000, and Mad Max). What would you say are the best of the rest?

No Blade of Grass
The Omega Man
ZPG
Westworld
Soylent Green
The Terminal Man
Rollerball
A Boy and His Dog
Shivers
The Ultimate Warrior
Logan’s Run
God Told Me To
Demon Seed

I've got God Told Me To, Demon Seed, Shivers, and Rollerball on my list to watch this week, but...

A Boy and His Dog and Westworld are fun, even if the latter is way more high brow. Logan's Run is kind of silly and oddly cheap-looking, but worth it for the cast (though, be warned that while it's PG, it has full frontal nudity).

Everyone should also check out the Luis Bunuel films, too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No Blade of Grass
The Omega Man
ZPG
Westworld
Soylent Green
The Terminal Man
Rollerball
A Boy and His Dog
Shivers
The Ultimate Warrior
Logan’s Run
God Told Me To
Demon Seed

I'm watching all of them in order and of the ones here I've seen, Soylent Green and Rollerball are the best. Soylent Green was incredibly better than I expected but knowing the ending already put a damper on it. Rollerball is hilariously violent in a way that had to have injured a lot of the actors.

ZPG is interesting and kind of worth watching but it's not what I'd call good.

The last one I watched was A Boy and His Dog and it's incredibly rapey. There's a lot of poor treatment of women in these movies but this was one of the worst.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did a Death Race 2000/Rollerball and then Omega Man/Soylent Green double bill the next night. So now I gotta figure out if I can do doubles on the rest lol.

Also funny watching Soylent Green after all these years and being reminded that it takes place in 2022, where there's a permanent heatwave in NYC due to the greenhouse effect...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rollerball loving rules and you should watch it before it disappears. Westworld is also a good time just for watching Yul Brynner be a terror.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Demon Seed is a trip. Boy and His Dog has a great payoff but it takes awhile to get there. Funny how a majority of these are free on tubi rn

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Broadcast News is pretty good. Although crazy long for a romcom. And the love triangle is absurdly lopsided. A handsome guy who's popular and great at his job but still humble and honest and open about his feelings and supports women vs an insecure rear end in a top hat who sucks and doesn't believe in date rape.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1217192100644708352

This might be a good preview of the contents. No Ashes of Time, or anything past In the Mood for Love except the director's cut of The Hand (which is exciting). It's nice to see confirmation they have Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Gripweed posted:

Broadcast News is pretty good. Although crazy long for a romcom. And the love triangle is absurdly lopsided. A handsome guy who's popular and great at his job but still humble and honest and open about his feelings and supports women vs an insecure rear end in a top hat who sucks and doesn't believe in date rape.

Each time I watch it, I love it more and more.

My wife and I purchased the Criterion Channel for a year, which came with a 2-week trial. Our first film kept freezing. Asked around, saw this is a common issue, so we cancelled the service before the trial was done. Oh well!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Twin Cinema posted:

Each time I watch it, I love it more and more.

My wife and I purchased the Criterion Channel for a year, which came with a 2-week trial. Our first film kept freezing. Asked around, saw this is a common issue, so we cancelled the service before the trial was done. Oh well!

Was that recently? Because those problems were pretty rampant in the first couple of months, but I haven't had an issue for at least half a year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FancyMike posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1217192100644708352

This might be a good preview of the contents. No Ashes of Time, or anything past In the Mood for Love except the director's cut of The Hand (which is exciting). It's nice to see confirmation they have Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By.

Oh my god. It's perfect. :pray:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Origami Dali posted:

Was that recently? Because those problems were pretty rampant in the first couple of months, but I haven't had an issue for at least half a year.

Yep, was two weeks ago. My friend tried again last week and there was a similar issue.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Twin Cinema posted:

Yep, was two weeks ago. My friend tried again last week and there was a similar issue.

That sucks. I had hoped by this point they would've designed and applied their own customized FilmStruck-esque interface instead of just plugging in their content into whatever streaming template their farmed out Vimeo crew paid for. They should be better than this.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm a sick gently caress who prefers Fallen Angels to Chungking Express so I'm really looking forward to a Criterion release of that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

I'm a sick gently caress who prefers Fallen Angels to Chungking Express so I'm really looking forward to a Criterion release of that.

I wouldn't go that far but I finally revisited Fallen Angels the other night and, seen out of the shadow of Chungking, it's a loving amazing film in its own right. It has a very 90s-esque conception of "cool" but Wong is good enough to get away with it, not least because his characters are so weird and lonely and otherwise empathetic.

However: I also just saw 2046 and I think that might be my favorite of all.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I think my issue is with bifurcated films in general since I almost always prefer one half of the movie over the other (and it's usually the first half as it is in Chungking Express). Having said that the most recent film I saw that did that was Waves which I thought was fantastic and totally justified in splitting up the story the way it did.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1217559491102810117?s=20

Army of Shadows is back.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Me and You and Everyone We Know is missing a big ))<>(( on the cover.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

that Grand Budapest Hotel cover kinda sucks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I never realized that the pooping back and forth forever movie was actually good. Or at least Criterion quality.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Glad to see Budapest coming finally. Really looking forward to revisiting Destry Rides Again as well, that's a fun film.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I know I saw Me and You and Everyone We Know back when it came out but I don’t remember much about it. I had a roommate who really liked it but his taste was sometimes a little suspect...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I never realized that the pooping back and forth forever movie was actually good. Or at least Criterion quality.

It's not.