Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

gh0stpinballa posted:

my hot take is the boys S1 is a truly subversive work of genius and if amazon had realized what was going on they wouldn't have picked it up

One of the few adaptions that's better in every way than the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

describing odo as judge dredd is kind of misleading the guys main gimmick is that hes super awkward and cant project authority even though hes a shapeshifter who could easily murder nearly any other character

yeah this is my experience too i get the impression its the norm and lazy writers are the main reason we think otherwise a whole lotta kids and adults too for that matter have been blindsided by divorce because theyve been led to believe that yelling is the main prerequisite

which again just another reason why im not getting the marriage story hype

Fair enough, and Odo at times shows he actually belives more in justice than just the law. Says something that the Bajorans actually like him and he keeps his job even after the occupation, though he probably looked good in comparison to them. (plus, he canonically looked the other way to protect the Bajoran resistance) There's some interesting subtext (and sometimes text) with him as a third party in the whole political environment, neither Cardassian, Bajoran nor Federation either but operating under all of them, his at-first unique species making him an outsider who can claim neutrality.

Odo's likely an idealisation, given on one hand he has huge control freak tendencies (something that seems to be an inherent characteristic of his species) but seems to prefer justice to to the mere machinations of law, and is explicitly shown to be more flexible in those matters than strait-laced Worf.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think odos a great character in general because much like worf he kind of seems like a generalization of the shapeshifter race but once we start to see more of them we find out that odos an outlier in a lot of ways because of his unusual background even the dude we meet waaay later on who like odo was teleported to the middle of nowhere so he could have wacky adventures and relate them to the homeworld is very different from odo because that guy was loving around the galaxy for centuries trying to get back and had a much more mature and confident outlook

the ferengi characters work great too for a very different reason since we have three of them with completely different personalities and interpretations of ferengi culture and any time more of them show up they have unique outlooks too ditto with the cardassians and the bajorans even though in both those cases theres only one in the regular cast and both are presented as deviations right from the beginning even dax the weakest of the alien characters eventually becomes interesting because shes replaced by another trill with a completely different personality but all the same memories because thats the trill gimmick

none of the later star trek incarnations do anything anywhere near as interesting as this with alien races which is why i suspect deep space nine is seen as the franchises peak not necessarily the best but definitely the point where you notice a steep drop in quality afterwards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Ferengi are definitely one of the few cases where you see examples of how a civilisation's ideology actually affects people who live in it; none of the recurring Ferengi are really what a Ferengi is 'supposed' to be, with two examples of people realising their society undervalues their skills and noping out to join a society that does give them an opportunity.

The Changelings are a fun case of a species whose signature abilities are totally the opposite of what you'd expect from their apparently common personality traits.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

DS9 also nailed the Federation's vaunted liberalism and plurality straining like gently caress under the assault of the Dominion in a way TNG never did with the Ferengi/Slug People/Borg/Romulans and in a way Discovery's first season tried and failed at. Peak Trek at exploring the full depth of themes Trek had played with before and after.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Witcher TV series is the best Raymond Chandler screen adaptation there's ever been, in that Geralt is a good-but-abrasive person in a world that is not kind to good people, and in that its overall plotting is a mess but who cares.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
what if... i know this sounds totally insane... the oscars are racist?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Finally watched Joker and anyone who called this a leftist movie — whatever the gently caress that means — is a drooling moron. It tells us the only people who want to wage class war on the rich are murderous psychopaths, similar to what The Dark Knight Rises did after Occupy.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's raising awareness

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It’s about how you just can’t tell jokes anymore.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Prince Myshkin posted:

Finally watched Joker and anyone who called this a leftist movie — whatever the gently caress that means — is a drooling moron. It tells us the only people who want to wage class war on the rich are murderous psychopaths, similar to what The Dark Knight Rises did after Occupy.

Yeah. It’s a nervous look at the street from the penthouse floor. Still fun tho.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i really want to see the joker but havent yet

the two movies i want to see most though are mandy and parasite

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Ferengi are definitely one of the few cases where you see examples of how a civilisation's ideology actually affects people who live in it; none of the recurring Ferengi are really what a Ferengi is 'supposed' to be, with two examples of people realising their society undervalues their skills and noping out to join a society that does give them an opportunity.

The Changelings are a fun case of a species whose signature abilities are totally the opposite of what you'd expect from their apparently common personality traits.

I like how DS9 also subverting the cultures in which Quak is forced to hire Garak to knock him off since Quark got tricked by a rival and is forced to question following arbitrary rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

my hot take is the boys S1 is a truly subversive work of genius and if amazon had realized what was going on they wouldn't have picked it up

Plus the show runners were savvy enough to not adapt the creepy and outdated aspects of the source material.

Antony Star also knocks it out of the park as Homelander / Trumpian superman parody.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

etalian posted:

Plus the show runners were savvy enough to not adapt the creepy and outdated aspects of the source material.

Antony Star also knocks it out of the park as Homelander / Trumpian superman parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibew-vGffH0

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got suckered into buying a month of Starz. Should I watch Black Sails?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

these oscar nominations are bizarre after several months of the press downplaying joker and it getting snubbed nearly everywhere else how is it now somehow the frontrunner

are academy members just that desperate to prove that superhero movies are artistically significant but knew theyd be laughed at if theyd picked one of the other ones

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Prince Myshkin posted:

It's about how Arthur has zero class consciousness and just fucks around doing his own thing reacting to what more powerful people do to him. The only evil people with agency are the rich.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

etalian posted:

I like how DS9 also subverting the cultures in which Quak is forced to hire Garak to knock him off since Quark got tricked by a rival and is forced to question following arbitrary rules.

It's also really funny when Garak tries to find a way of killing Quark that Quark will accept. And I don't think he got around to calling off that hit...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I got suckered into buying a month of Starz. Should I watch Black Sails?

if you can stream it yeah, the first few seasons have a lot of boring bits in the middle bookended by incredibly good episodes.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Jan 14, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Babylon V was also really good.

What do you want?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1216477275660488705

Setting aside Wil Wheaton getting completely owned on twitter and leaving and never coming back because of his ties to Chris Hardwick, what was the thing that set off this style of show where you have a show immediately after the show that just aired, just to "explain" it and talk about it?

Because it seems like the most braindead thing imaginable, next to the youtube videos that already do that for you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

talking bad for breaking bad appears to be the first example of this hosted by hilariously enough chris hardwick id never heard of this show while it was actually contemporaneous but i noticed a lot of references to it when i recently watched the show and was revisiting ancient critiques of it

talking dead for walking dead i did hear about contemporaneously but considering id only ever seen people mention it in a mocking tone for the entire premises obvious pointlessness i dont have a clue why this is a regular thing for so many shows now

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember all the way back in the day 24 had a mini-talk show on the web where a host would interview cast and crew. Did Lost have something similar to keep stirring proto-Reddit?

Talking Dead and Talking Bad were probably the first instances where they realized they can put it on TV and have be considered content in its own right.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Talking Bad was worth it to see Samuel L Jackson and Bob Odenkirk disagree with each other on what’s the true reading of the Walter/Skylar dynamic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

It's the parasocial recreation of talking about a show with your friends, and it's a cheap way to squeeze out an extra half hour to an hour of content.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Echo Chamber posted:

Did Lost have something similar to keep stirring proto-Reddit?

LOST had a bunch of ARGs that kept people obsessed with the Abrams and Lindelof mystery box something to do, like punching numbers into a computer every 108 minutes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/prof_gabriele/status/1216724393130414081?s=20

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Gamers rose up, all right. Into the High Class world of the Academy.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1216477275660488705

Setting aside Wil Wheaton getting completely owned on twitter and leaving and never coming back because of his ties to Chris Hardwick

this happened to him on mastodon too, he just got loving ethered because of a ligma joke

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Skellybones posted:

It's about how Arthur has zero class consciousness and just fucks around doing his own thing reacting to what more powerful people do to him. The only evil people with agency are the rich.

Kinda agree, but adding nuance.

Arthur has one of two embarrassments essential to the American character- that of ideological insight into ones own condition (the other is talking about money and I’d argue it’s even stronger than fear of ideology because we still aren’t comfortable beating our friends and family up on Facebook about it)- and the movie is a kind of Bildungsroman about him arranging his lived experiences into a worldview that endows him the ability to act (albeit it while hiding his belief system behind claims even to himself about being non political, so strong is the embarrassment over awareness that there are classes or people and his position in the losing one- arguably more than any mental illness- furnishes his misery and desire to revolt) as an influential public figure. Having class consciousness while attempting to hide class consciousness is what forms the end product of his character, and what makes him the perfect activator of the unrest simmering in the minds of a the similarly ideology shy people of Gotham.

Movie stumbles because it’s written and directed by rich guys in Hollywood who think they’re different than all those other rich guys because they’re artists and they have hurt feelings that all these common people are starting to no longer cut them a break. Like, even a struggling new member in the Hollywood system has an astoundingly superior standard of living than someone in one of these spooky methed out areas of New Mexico, working class areas of Chicago (to say nothing of the slums), most of Ohio, etc and it shows in how the best way they could imagine to examine the situation at hand was to remake Taxi Driver, but comic books. Their insight of the world doesn’t extend past the backlot and top ten movie lists, but they think they’ve suffered or are suffering enough to “get” what’s happening.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also next weekend I have the option the see Uncut Gems or Parasite in theater this weekend. Assuming I’ll see both eventually, which one is the better choice?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious frankie posted:

Also next weekend I have the option the see Uncut Gems or Parasite in theater this weekend. Assuming I’ll see both eventually, which one is the better choice?

Uncut Gems is the better theatrical experience

Serf
May 5, 2011

parasite is the better movie

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I also think it’s pretty telling that when choosing a preexisting setting to tell their story about an awakening albeit malformed ideological awareness of class disparity, they picked the one that luridly depicts the poor and mentally ill the same way Lovecraft did the... well, everyone.

That and making Bruce/Batman’s own origin story the product of a poverty induced riot, seeing as how he’d later going on to establish relative peace in the city with a fear-and-beatings campaign on the underclass.

It’s somethin all right.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I also think it’s pretty telling that when choosing a preexisting setting to tell their story about an awakening albeit malformed ideological awareness of class disparity, they picked the one that luridly depicts the poor and mentally ill the same way Lovecraft did the... well, everyone.

That and making Bruce/Batman’s own origin story the product of a poverty induced riot, seeing as how he’d later going on to establish relative peace in the city with a fear-and-beatings campaign on the underclass.

It’s somethin all right.

makes you think

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

It’s somethin all right.

yeah it has a lot to say about the society we live in, alright

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I also watched some other movies this weekend that weren’t super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
1917 was ok. felt like a fairy tale set in WW1. weird how all the germans were evil regardless of context