Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What is with this weird hate for Nighteye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be nice if any of the show’s dozens of female characters could get one of those big emotional sakuga-laden displays of heroism one of these days but after this arc I’m kinda just resigned to this never happening. Bubble girl and laser girl were so extraneous it’s comical.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bubble girl was just a contest-winner cameo so she was never going to be plot-relevant, but there's no such excuse for nejire

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mordaedil posted:

What is with this weird hate for Nighteye?

Because he's a big butt and he takes up more screentime being a big butt while the girls are actually doing work and not being huge butts about it but getting nothing for it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I wonder if Horikoshi being extremely sick and ultimately not enjoying working on the arc led to stuff just not making it to the table - like the girls' fight outside. I know a lot of people were hoping the show would expound on it, but in a weird twist, apparently all their staff were busy working on the movie?

Maybe Nighteye looked into the show's future and locked it in to being just like the manga :v:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't like Nighteye because his powers are absurd. I have a strong distaste for time travel/manipulation/etc in stories, because it's always stupid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Even before this, hasn’t Ochako been the only one to get serious fights with a lot of screentime against Bakugo (a legitimate brawl and one of the better fights in the series) and against Toga?

IDK if it’s because Horikoshi isn’t comfortable drawing fights like that or if it’s because the series emphasizes boys getting the fights (being, y’know, a shonen) but it’s a pretty glaring flaw of the series.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My problem with Nighteye is that we're supposed to take his deterministic predictions as some sort of big deal, but we're never actually shown them in detail and we aren't him so all we have to go on is what he says, which usually isn't much.

We also aren't party to any of he previous struggles with regard to reading the far future or altering future events. That type of story has already been done pretty well in Stein's Gate but again with Nighteye we just have to take his word for it.

All of this off-camera pre-series "here have a flashback" development of his character just makes him seem really shallow. The anime helped because the acting really sold his despair, but even then he's still pretty one-note and feels more like a plot device than a full character.

E: I also agree with the sentiment that it's really silly that Suneater gets an entire fight but Nejire gets catcalled by a Yakuza guy and pewpews him a couple times before "enough of that, back to Deku".

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
As for the girls never getting any good scenes, does this ever change in the comic?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Probably a better conversation to have in the manga thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Shere posted:

We also aren't party to any of he previous struggles with regard to reading the far future or altering future events. That type of story has already been done pretty well in Stein's Gate but again with Nighteye we just have to take his word for it.

I feel like with the only other experience we have seeing a vision, and the buildup to it, being the part with Deku trying to get him to stamp the form at the start of the internship, we're meant to take that as precedent that what he sees is supposedly immutable but his interpretation of it can be wrong. Like, he sees Deku slumped against the wall but it's not until we get there in "real" time that he learns what it actually meant and decides to sign Deku on.

There's also the possibility that we're getting this weird prophecy nonsense for a thing we've already seen at this point. We've not seen the Foresight vision he got for All Might's death, so it's not impossible it was the All for One fight. After all, All Might did die in that fight. Toshinori Yagi survived, which sounds like a pedantic gotcha but there's also like no chance that he's going to go out of his way to pick a fight against any villain at this point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also deku’s insane determination was shown more effectively last season with “deku nearly sacrifices everything to save one kid that punched him in the dick just a few hours ago” than with this whole change the future business

there’s more than enough driving this fight as-is without having to also toss in “it was prophesized that izuku would die here”

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 13, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

That's what I mean, it's almost superfluous to the events anyway. Deku wanting to save Eri and Eri realizing she wants to be saved is already compelling enough without some guy on the sidelines going "lmao no you can't".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jackard posted:

As for the girls never getting any good scenes, does this ever change in the comic?
Low-spoiler answer: Occasionally, but not often enough to say yes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I do like that they made the end here more about Eri regaining her agency rather than just about the heroes who wanna punch the bad guy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The future-changing is explicitly about Eri, not Deku.

Not even one episode ago Overhaul used one of his minions' voices to convince Eri that her struggling and trying to escape was in vain because people around her still got hurt regardless, and compelled her to come back to Overhaul. At the start of the arc, Eri attempts to escape but is caught by Overhaul and goes back with him rather than have him turn Mirio and Deku into bloody smears. Overhaul says something like "You don't want this to happen again, like the other times, do you?"

Nighteye's vision sees a dead Deku, just like all the other times Eri tried to escape from Overhaul. But this time she actually decides to leave, leaping into Deku's arms, and through her power she finally prevents Overhaul from killing people and undoing the escape.

IMO

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Nighteye sucks because he's a creepy weirdo who hooks his employee up to a tickle torture machine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Skypie posted:

I wonder if Horikoshi being extremely sick and ultimately not enjoying working on the arc led to stuff just not making it to the table - like the girls' fight outside.

I wonder if Hori being sick factored into the main villain screeching about everyone being sick. :v:

A Bug posted:

Nighteye sucks because he's a creepy weirdo who hooks his employee up to a tickle torture machine.

Yeah, I still don't know what that was about.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I like when Deku kicked that motherfucker into orbit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I like when Deku kicked that motherfucker into orbit.

Are you Toga?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think if I've got one big problem with this arc it's that it spent a lot of time developing the backstories and arcs of a lot of characters that we've never seen before and don't have much reason to believe will become very relevant. I suppose that last part will depend on if Eri will be able to restore Nighteye's life or Mirio's powers, but I think that's the main source of the dragging feeling - that we spent several entire episodes establishing what various side-characters' power sets do while their impact on the plot is "Mirio and Izuku didn't have to fight those enemies".

Of the characters that we actually knew about before the last couple episodes of last season, we saw how Kirishima became who he is and his dedication to his idea of chivalry, and Izuku brooding over failing to protect one girl. That's maybe one and a half episodes' worth of character development of established characters. The rest just all feels like self-contained filler.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy it, there were some really sick fights. I just hope we see more character stuff in the second half of the season.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

There's also the possibility that we're getting this weird prophecy nonsense for a thing we've already seen at this point. We've not seen the Foresight vision he got for All Might's death, so it's not impossible it was the All for One fight. After all, All Might did die in that fight. Toshinori Yagi survived, which sounds like a pedantic gotcha but there's also like no chance that he's going to go out of his way to pick a fight against any villain at this point.

Nighteye: He ceased to be All Might and became Toshinori Yagi. When that happened, the good man who was the Symbol of Peace was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If copy quirk guy copied all for one, could he then use his copied all for one quirk to steal the real all for one quirk and give it to himself

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

ninjewtsu posted:

If copy quirk guy copied all for one, could he then use his copied all for one quirk to steal the real all for one quirk and give it to himself

Theoretically, assuming that All For One can be stolen. One For All can't, so maybe there's a similar exception for All For One.
However, Twice can't control the copies at all, which is his entire problem. He has to talk to them and convince them to do things.
An All For One copy (assuming All For One would be willing to have his measurements taken) wouldn't betray himself like this and probably just murder Twice for suggesting it.
Twice own copies didn't even listen to him and had a violent revolt, which lead to his entire broken personality and trauma about being unable to trust himself.

He's not going to make copies of heroes for the same reason. They'd just beat him up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm assuming they mean Monoma, not Twice.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Twice copied Deku, could that clone pass on their One for All to someone else?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I suspect Monoma actually could copy All for One and move quirks around with it. But All for One (the guy) is clever enough that this would be really dangerous; for example, Monoma might be tricked into copying a quirk that permanently hurts himself as well.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Monoma copied All For One and ended up copying all the quirks he stole as well, he'd probably go brain dead since the human body can't handle too many quirks at once. Even All For One had a limit to what he can handle.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
e: By jove, no spoilers, you jerkfaces!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Dude don’t post manga spoilers in the anime thread

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Key point: Monoma would have to touch AfO to Copy him, and Monoma is way too chickenshit for that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Monoma would get AfO and then spend the entire time limit gloating to class 1-A about how cool he is now and accomplish nothing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Dumb spoiler crap

What is wrong with you

History has to stop repeating itself

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they're just in such a rush to let everyone know ~they read the manga~ they can't help themselves

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i kinda wanna see the copy quirk guy in action, it seems like you could get some interesting fights off of an ability like that

if he got a cool fight before any girl did though i'd probably be pretty mad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i kinda wanna see the copy quirk guy in action, it seems like you could get some interesting fights off of an ability like that

if he got a cool fight before any girl did though i'd probably be pretty mad

i feel like fully displaying the potential of a powerset like monoma's would require someone cleverer with action scenes than horikoshi's turned out to be

the opening arcs could get pretty smart with mix-and-matching the utilities of various quirks, but ever since then (and especially since full cowl was introduced) most fights have just been variations on "punch 'im inna face"

they're great face-punches, mind you, a finer collection of face-punches one could scarcely ask for, but that's mostly what they are

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno, my feeling was less "the story isn't competent enough to have better fight scenes" and more "the story frequently isn't trying to have better fight scenes"

when it puts its mind to it it can get pretty fun with the quirks in action sequences. even a character with a fairly straight forward quirk like bakugo can do some pretty visually inventive stuff with using it to move around

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Honestly I kind of like that this series sticks to straightforward cathartic brawls and not 9th dimensional ninja chess.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The last episode was cool. It's good to see they put some effort into a fight even though it was COMPLETELY one sided

the villain dissolving his minions and turning their flesh into a flesh mech was also completely grotesque and awesome

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Amajiki's Vast Hybrid seems like a pretty good starting point for how Monoma could use his powers. Didn't he combine some of those food traits together to make his tentacles stronger or something?