Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IUG posted:

Since I reread from basically Annie coming back from the forest last night, I also found this page that shows that Kat really is breaking under the surface, and doesn't really trust the Annies. She even has some Zimmy eyes going. It's right after she was told that both Annies don't belong there.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2167

The implications of the contracts talk in the chapter kinda went over my head (which I also read last night :hfive:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean, Annies are right: Paz is being unreasonable.

:hai:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Warmachine posted:

I mean, Annies are right: Paz is being unreasonable.

:hai:

And they could totally snap her like a twig.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What Paz wants is to Catch Those Hands.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Honestly, I don't blame Paz for getting angry at the Annies. I mean sure we the audience know they haven't done anything to Kat, but from Paz's prospective things have gone: Kat is happy-> Annie two shows up -> Kat is unhappy -> Paz tells both Annies to be nicer to Kat -> Kat starts feeling more chill about the situation for a bit -> Kat then suddenly becomes extremely unhappy again. It's not completely illogical for her to assume the Annies upset her in some way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, if the Annies ever get back home, they'll miss each other.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
paz is right, actually

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"What are you going to do burn me?" quote from woman burned.

Ironic Twist posted:

paz is right, actually

Well, yeah, and the Annies know this. They said as much a few chapters ago: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2116

Unfortunately they decided to continue ignoring the problem instead of directly addressing it right away and now it's gotten much worse.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Red Was (Still) Right.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!
When you consider that Kat's life has nothing else in it that's even challenging for her, it's hard to get all teary-eyed about her being too concerned for her friend who's life hasn't been so great.

Like when you consider that the worst thing Annie has done to Kat is copy her homework, and how does that conversation go?

Annie: I feel really bad about copying your homework.

Kat: I feel bad that it allowed the Court to use you as a pawn against your father, which made his return even more abusive and traumatic for you and drove you further from our classmates and a healthy social life.

*Kat stands there, so far ahead of the game that she operates as a project lead with Annie's father assisting*

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 13, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I see that heads remain level headed as this argument continues

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I really feel that blonde girl Paz called as reinforcement who just stands there looking awkward and wishing she was somewhere else. :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I really feel that blonde girl Paz called as reinforcement who just stands there looking awkward and wishing she was somewhere else. :allears:

The 2 randos are the standins for the audience

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, what's Annie to do? Remove herself from Kats life? How? Kat is involved in daily work with Annie's father, that won't work out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
She should snap her like a twig.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this thread is really weird about the expectations and responsibilities and especially dressing down placed on the central teenage character of this comic a lot of the time lol

I think a lot of y'all need to think back harder on how loving stupid we were as kids

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Violen posted:

this thread is really weird about the expectations and responsibilities and especially dressing down placed on the central teenage character of this comic a lot of the time lol

I think a lot of y'all need to think back harder on how loving stupid we were as kids

I think people are mostly joking

I hope people are mostly joking

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Violen posted:

Counterpoint: Dumbass teenagers need to be explicitly told they are dumbass teenagers, point-by-point, specifically so that they stop being dumbass teenagers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think people are mostly joking

I hope people are mostly joking

Oh it is a fully believable argument

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

At least one Annie was thinking of burning but changed her mind really quick when they got caught.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We should note that Frannie "I could snap her like a twig" Carver doesn't immediately deny that she was thinking that all her problems could be solved by cleansing flames.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!
I mean Paz probably should give more weight to the fact that Annie could, in fact, incinerate her.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

jng2058 posted:

We should note that Frannie "I could snap her like a twig" Carver doesn't immediately deny that she was thinking that all her problems could be solved by cleansing flames.

It was Court Annie that initially said "I could snap her like a twig." Which is all the more amusing because she's not the silent one here.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Burn her.

BURN THEM ALL

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

paz is being real lovely! thanks for reading

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Counterpoint: Dumbass teenagers need to be explicitly told they are dumbass teenagers, point-by-point, specifically so that they stop being dumbass teenagers.

Amicus curiae: I'm 30, and would have benefited greatly if, at 15, someone dressed my dumb rear end down point-by-point so I'd specifically stop being a dumbass. I know full well they're being teenagers, but I also have the benefit of life experience to tell them this is entirely unproductive even if one of you is Squirrel Girl, the other is Frieza, and the third is the Human Torch.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That is more venting than dressing down, tho.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
While Paz would have a point if she talked about how unattentive and selfish Annie can be in regards to what Kat is going through, this lecture sounds more like, "Your life is lovely, and it worries Kat so you shouldn't be Kat's friend." That's poo poo.

Also, going behind Kat's back to berate the friend she is worried about is a surefire way to make Kat even more unhappy. Yeah, they're teens, but this is extremely disrespectful.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

catapede posted:

While Paz would have a point if she talked about how unattentive and selfish Annie can be in regards to what Kat is going through, this lecture sounds more like, "Your life is lovely, and it worries Kat so you shouldn't be Kat's friend." That's poo poo.

Also, going behind Kat's back to berate the friend she is worried about is a surefire way to make Kat even more unhappy. Yeah, they're teens, but this is extremely disrespectful.

I wonder if this might end with Kat breaking up with Paz.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

VanSandman posted:

I wonder if this might end with Kat breaking up with Paz.

I wonder this too. This would be a huge violation of boundaries if Paz was my girlfriend.

Also hot take: Paz mentioned the burning because she talks to animals and have used them to spy on Annie. It seems weirdly specific to say since Annie has never actually threatened people this way (that i can recall).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catapede posted:

Also hot take: Paz mentioned the burning because she talks to animals and have used them to spy on Annie. It seems weirdly specific to say since Annie has never actually threatened people this way (that i can recall).

Never in the Court, but there was the whole Fun City "it's not my blood" episode.

e. there: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1259
a perfectly polite and understated threat, but a threat

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 13, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cat Mattress posted:

Never in the Court, but there was the whole Fun City "it's not my blood" episode.

Yeah, in hindsight that may have disturbed Paz a bit. Come to think about it, where those 2 (3?) ever shown to be friendly with each other? Could be that Paz sort of resented her from the start. I guess it's hard being someone's girlfriend's best friend.

Sure, Paz always tolerated Annie. But I honestly don't think they could be considered friends.

Hell, judging by the length of those scribbles, she didn't even bother to sign the card. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1511

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 13, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Like yeah she's being a huge bitch, but also like teenager and this is probably gonna blow back on her way worse than the Annies. So my read is I'm actually almost more worried about Paz.

Especially since unknown to Paz and Annie Kat does not consider these Annies hers so I'm not sure anything Paz or Annie could do here would effect her, if the Annies try to distance themselves there's no way Kat will let them cause then she has less of a chance of getting her Annie back. At worst it might hasten that inevitable shitshow along I guess. But that's happening no matter what.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Like yeah she's being a huge bitch, but also like teenager and this is probably gonna blow back on her way worse than the Annies. So my read is I'm actually almost more worried about Paz.

Especially since unknown to Paz and Annie Kat does not consider these Annies hers so I'm not sure anything Paz or Annie could do here would effect her, if the Annies try to distance themselves there's no way Kat will let them cause then she has less of a chance of getting her Annie back. At worst it might hasten that inevitable shitshow along I guess. But that's happening no matter what.

Yeah there's no universe where this goes well for Paz. Even if she gets the annies to back off and try severing their ties, the moment Kat finds out its going to explode.
This isn't Red who barely interactes with Annie getting her owns in and walking off with her gf into the sunset.

So look forward to part 2 of Teens Arguing: relationship edition

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

catapede posted:

I wonder this too. This would be a huge violation of boundaries if Paz was my girlfriend.

Jimmy Jims is people :mad:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=807

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jimmy Jims is a meat rack, almost become barbecue.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Cat Mattress posted:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, in hindsight that may have disturbed Paz a bit. Come to think about it, where those 2 (3?) ever shown to be friendly with each other? Could be that Paz sort of resented her from the start. I guess it's hard being someone's girlfriend's best friend.

Sure, Paz always tolerated Annie. But I honestly don't think they could be considered friends.

Hell, judging by the length of those scribbles, she didn't even bother to sign the card. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1511

Haha yeah, good point. Annie may have needed to fight, but Paz sees all this from an unfamiliar, 3rd party perspective. We have no idea what Paz and Kat have talked about regarding Annie, and there's no reason to believe Kat is completely honest with Paz about her feelings on the matter. I imagine the dishonesty is partially responsible for this blowup.

How could I forget about the man himself, Jim Jams?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, yeah, and the Annies know this. They said as much a few chapters ago: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2116

Unfortunately they decided to continue ignoring the problem instead of directly addressing it right away and now it's gotten much worse.

Sometimes introspection leads to a new understanding, and other times it leads to reinforcement : (

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
And if you missed it, here's Paz warning Annie before: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

And if you missed it, here's Paz warning Annie before: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2098

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2102
man that sheer look of disdain on paz

also i kind of love how poo poo annie is at confrontation, even (especially) with her self. If she doesn't blow up she's easily run over most times. Very relatable.