Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Krankenstyle posted:

whoa i never thought about non-integral bases. just imagining them makes my brain feel weird

Base e is how the universe works man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Snake-oil bullshit for people who won't use real toothpaste because it has :supaburn: CHEMICALS :supaburn: in it

(it's just normal toothpaste with salt in it and no fluoride)
Specifically this stuff. All of the abrasion, none of the enamel-restoring (or cavity-protection)! :waycool:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Also, most people use way too much toothpaste. You only need a pea size amount for brushing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mother uses baking soda to brush her teeth because mint makes her vomit. She refers to it as an "allergy" but acknowledges that it isn't really an allergy, but people understand that term and it's easier than anything else. She puts it down to the time she was 12 and had the flu and her grandmother forced pepto bismol on her and then she puked and now her brain is eternally stuck on "this is how poison tastes." Licorice hits her the same way. We always used regular toothpaste but it's always been "don't kiss your mom good night after you brush your teeth."

There are very few options for people who don't want mint toothpaste. Occasionally my mom finds a cinnamon one or something without mint in it and then it gets discontinued.

I'm probably not as good at brushing my teeth as I should be.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

RoboRodent posted:

My mother uses baking soda to brush her teeth because mint makes her vomit. She refers to it as an "allergy" but acknowledges that it isn't really an allergy, but people understand that term and it's easier than anything else. She puts it down to the time she was 12 and had the flu and her grandmother forced pepto bismol on her and then she puked and now her brain is eternally stuck on "this is how poison tastes." Licorice hits her the same way. We always used regular toothpaste but it's always been "don't kiss your mom good night after you brush your teeth."

There are very few options for people who don't want mint toothpaste. Occasionally my mom finds a cinnamon one or something without mint in it and then it gets discontinued.

I hate mint too, and started buying this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Apagard-Premio-toothpaste-nanohydroxyapatite-remineralizing/dp/B0016GCZSC?th=1

Now, right now it's an insane price, but get it from another seller for cheaper. Price fluctuates a TON. Doesn't taste like mint, or as a lot of reviewers call it, "US flavored."

(I wonder if that's like how Cool Ranch in other countries is often called "Cool American," because ranch isn't as big of a thing.)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Brushing your teeth with something salty sounds horrible, wow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Queen Combat posted:

I hate mint too, and started buying this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Apagard-Premio-toothpaste-nanohydroxyapatite-remineralizing/dp/B0016GCZSC?th=1

Now, right now it's an insane price, but get it from another seller for cheaper. Price fluctuates a TON. Doesn't taste like mint, or as a lot of reviewers call it, "US flavored."

(I wonder if that's like how Cool Ranch in other countries is often called "Cool American," because ranch isn't as big of a thing.)

Have you tried just arm and hammer baking soda toothpaste available on any store shelf for dirt rear end cheap?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

So... your entire family had to be told not to French kiss mom before she went to bed?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Have you tried just arm and hammer baking soda toothpaste available on any store shelf for dirt rear end cheap?

Weirdly I don't like the taste of that, and when I buy that toothpaste it's normally like $4-8/tube, which isn't unreasonable to pay for a taste I like that has zero mint at all.

Just end up throwing it into whatever amazon order at the time when I notice the price is low. It's always there in my "re-order" list on the sidebar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Len posted:

Baking soda damages your enamel. At least that's what my dentist told me back in the day when I asked him about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cacafuego posted:

So... your entire family had to be told not to French kiss mom before she went to bed?

Says more about you if you interpret "kiss Mom goodnight" as "make out with Mom" tbh

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Says more about you if you interpret "kiss Mom goodnight" as "make out with Mom" tbh

Is this another Poop Knife situation?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roblo posted:

Is this another Poop Knife situation?

Who doesn't kiss their poop knife good-night?

BTB Knife tier list:

I poop knife
II cyeramic knoive
III world's sharpest knife made out of knives

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

BTB Knife tier list:

II cyeramic knoive

It give grrat pleasire, ceyeramic knoive, cut tamatoe

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're wondering why it makes a difference if you have mint breath or not if you aren't kissing your mother on the lips. I guess if the mint breath was strong enough they'd smell it even if you kissed their cheek?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

When I was a child and my parents kissed me good night, it was on the cheek or forehead. You’re not getting mint taste in someone’s mouth this way. The poster stated that their mom couldn’t take the taste of brushing with mint in her mouth, yet couldn’t kiss mom goodnight.

So, if your parents are kissing you goodnight as a normal parent would (ie not on the lips) and not opening their mouth so that any mint taste would cross between, why should they not have to kiss mom goodnight?

Organza Quiz posted:

They're wondering why it makes a difference if you have mint breath or not if you aren't kissing your mother on the lips.

Exactly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some people’s moms are Tom Brady and that’s okay.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some people’s moms are Tom Brady and that’s okay.

And when you were a baby
your momma was Tom Brady
I'm sure he was a really excellent mother
and when he tucked you in bed
and kissed you on your fivehead
that toothepaste scent was a big bother

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't like mint either but I just use it cause it's a few minutes a day and I just figure the tingle I get from the mint is it working. Like when you get the burn from rubbing alcohol on a cut.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

They're wondering why it makes a difference if you have mint breath or not if you aren't kissing your mother on the lips. I guess if the mint breath was strong enough they'd smell it even if you kissed their cheek?

It was this. She's sensitive to the smell. Mint is a strong smell. I thought that was self evident, but here I am, expecting too much of goons.

Once I got into a small car with my mom shortly after brushing my teeth and she puked because of it.

God, some of you guys are weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toothpaste doesn't really have a strong scent. Stop making out with your mom in cars.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Toothpaste doesn't really have a strong scent. Stop making out with your mom in cars.

Yeah that's my job.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cacafuego posted:

When I was a child and my parents kissed me good night, it was on the cheek or forehead. You’re not getting mint taste in someone’s mouth this way. The poster stated that their mom couldn’t take the taste of brushing with mint in her mouth, yet couldn’t kiss mom goodnight.

So, if your parents are kissing you goodnight as a normal parent would (ie not on the lips) and not opening their mouth so that any mint taste would cross between, why should they not have to kiss mom goodnight?

Exactly.

:goonsay:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kissing your close relatives hello or goodbye on the mouth used to be really common. A peck only, but still.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...wait
I lick my grandma's cheek to say goodnight.

Is that not normal?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

...wait
I lick my grandma's cheek to say goodnight.

Is that not normal?!

are you a dog

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:goonsay:

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Aphrodite posted:

Be reasonable man, they got kicked out of the library, and dad gets mad if they do it at home

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:hmmyes: - this totally negates your weird Oedipus posting and inability to understand basic concepts

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Talk Talk's first album (The Party's Over) is excellent, and I might actually like it the most of all their pre-Spirit of Eden albums. Nobody ever talks about it, and with Talk Talk's whole story being their gradual transformation from another synthpop group to awesome experimental post-rock, why wouldn't their first album be their worst?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

RoboRodent posted:

:ironicat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fintech means financial technology, not Finnish technology :doh:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wow really? Over here it refers exclusively to technology for dolphins.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Wow really? Over here it refers exclusively to technology for dolphins.

Dolphins? That’s weird, cuz in my neck of the woods it commonly refers to tech for sharks. There’s also a lot of folks that use it exclusively to mean tech for jets. They get into epic knife dance battles sometimes to resolve the issue to no avail.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now, let me tell you about findom...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Vulgar posted:

Dolphins? That’s weird, cuz in my neck of the woods it commonly refers to tech for sharks. There’s also a lot of folks that use it exclusively to mean tech for jets. They get into epic knife dance battles sometimes to resolve the issue to no avail.

I gotta side with the sharks on this one, just because it's so difficult to get the tech onto the sharks. They have to build special gear just to get the tech to attach properly, because otherwise the sharks are so smooth that it just slides right off.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

When you’re a Jet
You’re a Jet all the way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RoboRodent posted:

First day on the forums?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

RoboRodent posted:

It was this. She's sensitive to the smell. Mint is a strong smell. I thought that was self evident, but here I am, expecting too much of goons.

Once I got into a small car with my mom shortly after brushing my teeth and she puked because of it.

Sometimes, you get a thing about a smell. I couldn't even smell lemonade without puking for a few years because I had drank lemonade before getting a stomach infection. My dad still can't eat macaroons because he ate them when he had a stomach bug, even 60 years later. Just the smell makes him gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Sometimes, you get a thing about a smell. I couldn't even smell lemonade without puking for a few years because I had drank lemonade before getting a stomach infection. My dad still can't eat macaroons because he ate them when he had a stomach bug, even 60 years later. Just the smell makes him gag.

That’s why he’s still stuck in the form of a worm while everyone else was cured.