Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't suppose there's a way to tell SteamVR to ignore controllers that are currently tethered by USB? Sometimes I just want to use my Vive Wands for VRChat, and I gotta remember to unplug the Index controllers when I do or it thinks they're ALL active and tries to force full-body tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there any way to better deal with motion sickness? Just keep taking breaks and hope it gets better?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

a7m2 posted:

Is there any way to better deal with motion sickness? Just keep taking breaks and hope it gets better?

Eating ginger candies/chews is supposed to help.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a7m2 posted:

Your body will acclimate if you take it a little at a time and take breaks. If you force your way through it your body will just learn that VR makes you sick.

I can’t speak to the time it takes though. It took me about a week, but my nausea wasn’t bad to begin with and I have an iron stomach when it comes to this stuff

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Eating ginger candies/chews is supposed to help.

What about ginger tea or something like that? Is it just any ginger product or specifically something chewy?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Your body will acclimate if you take it a little at a time and take breaks. If you force your way through it your body will just learn that VR makes you sick.

I can’t speak to the time it takes though. It took me about a week, but my nausea wasn’t bad to begin with and I have an iron stomach when it comes to this stuff

I have an iron stomach when it comes to food but apparently not in this regard. Thanks for the tip, I'll take it slow.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

a7m2 posted:

What about ginger tea or something like that? Is it just any ginger product or specifically something chewy

Taking a ginger piece from your pocket and chewing on it while playing blind folded is easier and safer them leaving a hot cup of tea in arm swinging range.

But just about anything with ginger is an antinauseant

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Get a beer hat and attach it to your HMD then put ginger beer into the holsters.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It has to be real ginger.
Ginger ale/soda doesn't work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also take a look at what games you’re playing.

In the beginning Rec Room would make me nauseous. Partially because it was my first FPS in VR and partially because at the time I didn’t have enough CPU to run it well.

So when I would get nauseous I would switch to a chill sit down game like PokerStars. I think it helped teach my brain I could be in VR and not feel sick. Playing some hands of poker and talking to others while I sat down helped a lot, for me anyway.

The hard part about this stuff is it’s somewhat up to your anatomy, and differs for everyone.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think Bundaberg ginger beer has real ginger though I was joking so I'm not sure why I'm giving real suggestions

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

a7m2 posted:

As mentioned above, anything with real ginger helps. Ginger chews, soda, beer.

Try placing a fan blowing air over you that can help, too. Even more so if it's chilled like standing under an A/C vent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress SNEEP posted:

As mentioned above, anything with real ginger helps. Ginger chews, soda, beer.

Try placing a fan blowing air over you that can help, too. Even more so if it's chilled like standing under an A/C vent.

I've never understood the principle behind the fan method. Does it trick your brain into thinking you're moving or something, or is it just a cooling thing?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've never understood the principle behind the fan method. Does it trick your brain into thinking you're moving or something, or is it just a cooling thing?

It's both!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also take a look at what games you’re playing.

In the beginning Rec Room would make me nauseous. Partially because it was my first FPS in VR and partially because at the time I didn’t have enough CPU to run it well.

So when I would get nauseous I would switch to a chill sit down game like PokerStars. I think it helped teach my brain I could be in VR and not feel sick. Playing some hands of poker and talking to others while I sat down helped a lot, for me anyway.

The hard part about this stuff is it’s somewhat up to your anatomy, and differs for everyone.

Yeah, I'm totally fine in SUPER HOT (which is incredible BTW). It's games where you move around with the joystick that get me.

Unrelated question: What are some good relaxing VR games? I love games like Stardew Valley or whatever to just chill out in sometimes. The games I have are super high action.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No Man's Sky and Tiltbrush are my go to relaxing games

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone posted a big pack of beat saber custom songs on the beat saber sub-reddit but I'm not seeing a clear/simple way to add them via sidequest/bmbf. BMBF lets you remote in via browser but the upload function doesn't seem to work. Sideloading the custom songs folder directly via sidequest throws a wrench on bmbf and it doesn't sync the songs correctly (after searching them via bmbf's reload songs tools).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a7m2 posted:

Yeah, I'm totally fine in SUPER HOT (which is incredible BTW). It's games where you move around with the joystick that get me.

Unrelated question: What are some good relaxing VR games? I love games like Stardew Valley or whatever to just chill out in sometimes. The games I have are super high action.

Fujii is about as chill a VR game as you could hope for.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

a7m2 posted:

I have an iron stomach when it comes to food but apparently not in this regard. Thanks for the tip, I'll take it slow.

Same. I could eat a piece of pepperoni off the floor after it's been there for weeks and not feel a thing, but if I try to read in a moving car (or play certain VR games) it's puke o'clock.

I'll have to try the ginger tip.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a7m2 posted:

Elite Dangerous.

Space trucking is super relaxing and fun

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have nobody fixed playlists for Beat Saber since 1.6.0 got released?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Der Shovel posted:

Same. I could eat a piece of pepperoni off the floor after it's been there for weeks and not feel a thing, but if I try to read in a moving car (or play certain VR games) it's puke o'clock.

I'll have to try the ginger tip.

It’s because the problem was never actually in your stomach! Brains are fuckin weird. Forgive the :eng101: if this comes up all the time in this thread, but I find this phenomenon really fascinating.

Motion sickness from VR or from being in a car/on a plane are two sides of the same issue: a disagreement between your body’s various methods for perceiving motion and orientation. Your vision, your inner ear canals, and your various nerves and muscles all play into this. VR creates a visual perception of motion that your ears and body are not matching. This can trigger an “oh gently caress am I poisoned? Better empty the stomach” response in the brain. AFAIK the exact reasons your brain freaks out this way aren’t fully understood, but I’m no brain doctor.

It’s the same trigger for car sickness, sea sickness, air sickness, and even spinning rides. VR has an additional avenue for the disconnect: latency. It’s why framerate, latency, and accurate tracking are so critical to a good VR experience. Even a slight delay between turning your head and the image following suit can cause severe nausea.

I fly planes for a living. Have had no issues in an airplane since my early flight training, but simulators can cause an issue that I find interesting. While flying the simulator, I’m fine. Taxiing the simulator triggers a “what the gently caress” sensation like VR can. When I turn the simulator on the ground, my eyes see a rotation around the vertical axis. The simulator doesn’t have the capability to just pivot in place, so it tries to trick you by tilting slightly to give a sensation of turning. But it’s the wrong axis, and my brain flips out at it.

The good news is the brain is very adaptable in addition to being fuckin weird. Like others have suggested, take it slow. Play a little at a time. Things will slowly improve.

In addition to ginger, Dramamine might help? I haven’t specifically heard anyone try this for VR, but it is used to mitigate motion sickness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s weird what little things get you. I can sit in iracing all day long in VR and I’m fine. The second I back the car up and then hit the brakes to stop it, my stomach drops to the floor.

It’s so strange that just the act of reversing then braking does it. Flying around a track for an hour? That’s fine though

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s weird what little things get you. I can sit in iracing all day long in VR and I’m fine. The second I back the car up and then hit the brakes to stop it, my stomach drops to the floor.

It’s so strange that just the act of reversing then braking does it. Flying around a track for an hour? That’s fine though

I can walk fine in Journey of the Gods. Try it in Arizona and I want to die.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Bee posted:

I can walk fine in Journey of the Gods. Try it in Arizona and I want to die.

I didn’t know “Arizona” referred to a VR game until I just googled it, but the post made perfect sense either way.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

H3V3 2002 roadmap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSV4rLmtAIQ

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I notice this too in dirt rally 2.0 since it makes you come to a stop at the stage end instead of just going into slowmo when crossing the line like dirt rally did. Feel nothing on the heavy intensity courses / heavy breaking for hairpins. Crashing into stuff at full speed isn't a problem, but the transition from slow speed to a complete stop is unpleasant.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The game desperately needs a better tutorial and UI overhaul, so I'm glad that's gonna be a specific focus soon. H3VR is dope, but also requires me to babysit and guide friends who try it to a far greater extent than any other game I slap people into.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

a7m2 posted:

People doing ocean racing generally acclimate after 4 days, I wouldn't expect VR to go any faster than that

And yeah take breaks, your brain needs a few sleep cycles to rewire itself

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played I Expect You to Die? It's pretty good but I'm stuck on Deep Dive, the third level in the sub. I can get to the end but I can't put the combination in fast enough. The loving dial just flies 3-4 numbers at the slightest touch so I waste the entire countdown trying to put in the combination. I'm using a Rift S with Oculus Touch. Is there some way to just have the dial behave normally? I tried grabbing and using telekinesis, it just spazzes out. They should've just made it a loving keypad, its absurd to be roadblocked by this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today I tried 4 times in different times to search for a Stark Trek lobby with people, I never found any. :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
New Beat Saber mod lookiin good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thoatse posted:

New Beat Saber mod lookiin good

:vince:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxMgFSMZbbo

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Oh my god if you want to spend a good time with Nana and the fam on their iPads and poo poo Acron is the real deal. I set up Nox on my desktop so that my gal and my kids could play on the phones and PC and Quest and it was hysterically fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is the best way to do that? I’ve been wanting to capture my iracing races

I would just record a proper iracing replay, and then render it in 2d when you record.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You don't need dramamine just take frequent breaks and you'll get better over time

Goons always gotta go overboard

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a way for the Rift to represent the touch controllers as a single Xbone controller considering it has all the right buttons and the early ones even shipped with actual Xbone controllers

A little late on my reply, but Oculus already has something like this. The problem is that you CAN'T get full gamepad emulation, so the game itself has to enable the feature.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-gamepad-emulation-touch/?locale=en_US

It is quite apparent why when you scroll down the page. You either give up the dpad + view button, or you give up one of the two joysticks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, I sort of forgot about the dpad :shobon:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

How hard would it be for a game developer to add support for a VR headset as a stereoscopic display? Not full immersion, but genuine depth perception in an otherwise "flat" image.

It seems to me you'd just need to render from two cameras an eyewidth apart, but im no programmer / dev.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They have this it’s called Vorpx and outside of a couple use cases it suuuuucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They have this it’s called Vorpx and outside of a couple use cases it suuuuucks

I like VorpX. :shrug:

Everything I've tried with it works surprisingly well. I didn't have huge expectations, but it's fun to jump into sometimes to play a flat game on a giant 3d screen. I haven't messed with it in a while, but I played a bunch of Rocket League and GTA V.