Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The biggest thing with Manastorm is that each time you cast something, it overwrites itself based on the current mana, so spamming out a bunch of traps in quick succession might not work, since you'd constantly rewrite your bonus damage to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Vasudus posted:

The thing with metacrafting Incursion weapons is that the item needs to drop like that (+1 all gems + minion/double damage) and then depending on your luck and/or balls, you craft from there.

Thanks. It appears people are aware that this base is the money summoner base. Any thoughts on doing it with the far, far cheaper + Melee Skill gems (for skeleton supports)? Find one with an open suffix and only two prefixes, craft prefixes can't be changed, annul until it's only the prefixes + craft and then multimod + slam and buy a prophecy for 6L?

Thanks figured 10ex for something like this, sound about right?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Any thoughts on doing it with the far, far cheaper + Melee Skill gems (for skeleton supports)?

Skill gems != support gems and Summon Skeletons does not have the Melee tag, so you'd get zero benefit.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Probably missing something obvious, but where could the entrances to the Architect Grand Temple be? I thought any spots with dynamite walls were always marked by only having two paths attached to them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
No, the rule is that if there's a hidden wall AND a path with only 2 connections then that is the source of the hidden wall, they can still come from paths with 3 connections to make a 4th connection. This leaves you with really only two possibilities. Either directly south of it, or directly east.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Aerox posted:

Probably missing something obvious, but where could the entrances to the Architect Grand Temple be? I thought any spots with dynamite walls were always marked by only having two paths attached to them.

No, things with 2 paths, barring the occaisional weirdness with long paths, must have a dynamite path. It's not that Dynamite paths must come from a 2 path. It's either the vaal city to the NE of ahuatotli or the explored node to the NW just next to the weapon's node. Nothing else can have a path there without cutting off another path, except for the square directly S of ahuatotli, but that path would be too short.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cinara posted:

No, the rule is that if there's a hidden wall AND a path with only 2 connections then that is the source of the hidden wall, they can still come from paths with 3 connections to make a 4th connection. This leaves you with really only two possibilities. Either directly south of it, or directly east.

It's not directly south, hidden paths need to go through at least one full tile.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MMF Freeway posted:

Stash tab sale only lasts for another 10 hours or so. Its definitely a good deal. In terms of the best tabs to buy:

Practically necessary tier: currency tab, map tab, at least one premium tab

Very useful tier: fragment tab, quad tabs, essence tab (imo, I hate organizing these), extra normal tabs

If you have anything leftover tier: divination card tab, delve tab, unique tab

Me: ooh, I'd better get on that then.
Also me, five minutes later: CURRENCY? I CAN'T BUY THEM OUTRIGHT, BUT I HAVE TO BUY CURRENCY FIRST? What is this, loving 2009 all over again?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I ended up rolling an Ele Hit Ballista Champion over the weekend. It's lvl 93 right now and it's... fine? Totems being fragile is frustrating, ballistas dropping at your feet kind of sucks, and my tree ended up needing way too many points so I'm at like 175% life at 93 with a lot more life to pick up. Had to spend 1 extra point on a 30 int node and 1 extra point on going down the left side of the lower Ballista wheel because I really wanted the extra resist/PDR for my totems (without the resist node the totems are at 60% res instead of 75%).

Another frustrating thing about it, I ended up dropping King of the Hill entirely. Any boss that gets knocked back is just absolutely miserable for Barrage Support + Totems. It would probably be nice to throw it back in for Sirus and other endgame fights, but I think the frustration is not worth it for most content.

The damage is technically there. I have a Multiple Totems setup for clearing and a Barrage setup in my +3 bow for single target, and PoB puts my single target setup at 700k dps ignoring Barrage Support (which it can't handle correctly). Barrage Support is approximately a 2.4x multiplier with the number of projectiles I have, which means my DPS is something around 8.5 million from the single target setup + a little bit from 2 of the extra totems from the aoe setup. Logistically, though, situations where there's a ton of adds spawning, the barrage totems just kind of get lost. Also, of course in situations with a ton of aoe damage flying around the totems die, Proximity shields are a huge pain, and Barrage likes to miss on anything moving sideways at all.

Oh also I'm using a Stampede and just not running a Quicksilver Flask, that's probably a stupid idea because it does in fact feel like crap all the time, but both Dying Sun and Bottled Faith are massive for the build. I suppose it would make a lot of sense to drop one of those for a Quicksilver and run a different boot. Character is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

Will be a WIP, especially because I literally just found out Ensnaring Arrow doesn't actually work with Pierce (won't shackle if it pierces) so I should switch my quiver to a non-Penetrating one and just run Fork or something in my AoE link.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

It's not directly south, hidden paths need to go through at least one full tile.

Doesn't the node the cart is on imply that the Temple is far enough away from the node directly south?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Doesn't the node the cart is on imply that the Temple is far enough away from the node directly south?

No. There's not enough space for a node in that area.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I decided to make a Witch as my first character. I don't know anything about "builds" or whatever so I am just winging it. I am making kind of a Hybrid Sorceress/Necromancer that does fireballs and summons lots of minions. I've mostly been taking the nodes that give me +damage with spells or minions, I figure those are pretty solid choices going forward. Though I don't really have any kind of plan as to where I should go on this skill tree! I assume I will hit a brick wall at some point when my sub-optimum build fall apart.

I've got good news and bad news:

the bad news: minions and self cast generally don't work together 50/50 damage wise, especially not undead minions

the good news: elementalist ascendancy and some moderately pricy uniques can create a "golem shell" - golems are minions which provide big bonuses but drop like flies usually. Elementalists get extra golems and survivability and generic bonuses from having them, so build toward this and your self cast fireballs get large bonuses

edit: snagged this guy from poeninja as an example https://pastebin.com/W4X0RDVB . Grab PoB (the fork preferably) to view it

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I decided to make a Witch as my first character. I don't know anything about "builds" or whatever so I am just winging it. I am making kind of a Hybrid Sorceress/Necromancer that does fireballs and summons lots of minions. I've mostly been taking the nodes that give me +damage with spells or minions, I figure those are pretty solid choices going forward. Though I don't really have any kind of plan as to where I should go on this skill tree! I assume I will hit a brick wall at some point when my sub-optimum build fall apart.

I've not seen your skill tree, but I know you haven't been taking enough life nodes. Take more life nodes.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

whypick1 posted:

Skill gems != support gems and Summon Skeletons does not have the Melee tag, so you'd get zero benefit.

I understand that, but figured for the Melee damage supports, etc that I would be socketing them with. Does +1-2 to the melee supports really pale that much in comparison to +1 to skeletons? Because even crappy 2h with + skills and double minion damage are like 10ex and I seriously doubt my ability to get lucky when farming one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I understand that, but figured for the Melee damage supports, etc that I would be socketing them with. Does +1-2 to the melee supports really pale that much in comparison to +1 to skeletons? Because even crappy 2h with + skills and double minion damage are like 10ex and I seriously doubt my ability to get lucky when farming one.

+1 to most support gems is 1% more damage.

+1 to an active skill gem is ~10% more damage depending on the skill.

+1 to socketed gems will be both of those at the same time AND work on Empower.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Got my first (and probably last) ever mirror drop last night. Never had a headhunter before and I’ve always wanted to try it, so will probably pick one up. What are the best builds to take advantage of HH these days?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Aerox posted:

My guess is up 1 left 2 by the weapons node. It's far enough away, and has 1 additional opening.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Pastrami posted:

Got my first (and probably last) ever mirror drop last night. Never had a headhunter before and I’ve always wanted to try it, so will probably pick one up. What are the best builds to take advantage of HH these days?

Cyclone or a bow build using LA/IS/TS, one of the standard projectile skills.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grimoire posted:

I've got good news and bad news:

the bad news: minions and self cast generally don't work together 50/50 damage wise, especially not undead minions

Yeah I have been starting to figure this out. I've beaten Act 1 and I have found there are a lot of undead minion skills, to the point where I am focusing on them 100%. Those flaming skulls are my primary attack now. The skill points I put into casting damage are entirely wasted, I'm only level 17 and I already messed up my build :v:

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not seen your skill tree, but I know you haven't been taking enough life nodes. Take more life nodes.

I have not taken any life nodes. Haven't really needed to, everything melts instantly against my Skull Army :black101: I really enjoy this Tane boss summoning guy. It always takes a few seconds to summon the boss, long enough for me to summon 10+ skulls that kill it instantly. Thanks Mr. Tane for the loot pinatas every screen!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A fair few quests will give you respec points as rewards, so you'll be able to get rid of your non-minion damage skills sooner or later.

You can get away without investing in life at the beginning, but as you go on you'll find yourself dying increasingly often. Eventually you'll want a load of life on the passive tree and also a decent life roll on all your gear (except for your weapon)

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I have been starting to figure this out. I've beaten Act 1 and I have found there are a lot of undead minion skills, to the point where I am focusing on them 100%. Those flaming skulls are my primary attack now. The skill points I put into casting damage are entirely wasted, I'm only level 17 and I already messed up my build :v:

I have not taken any life nodes. Haven't really needed to, everything melts instantly against my Skull Army :black101: I really enjoy this Tane boss summoning guy. It always takes a few seconds to summon the boss, long enough for me to summon 10+ skulls that kill it instantly. Thanks Mr. Tane for the loot pinatas every screen!

Oh, yeah, srs melts everything and is perfectly viable through endgame. Can def see that satisfying the minion/caster hybrid itch. Also, no really take more life nodes (all of them)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How viable would Poet's Pen VD be compared to Cyclone CWC or COC VD? I started out with the former setup until I get to level 38, but now I'm enjoying it so much I don't want to change :(

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cinara posted:

The only thing the Necro kinda sucked at was clearspeed, so I dumped a ton of currency into a Slayer, and planned on trying out a variety of skills with The Saviour. In a shocking twist, Cyclone was 1000x better than every other skill, who could have guessed.

Did you try flicker strike with it by chance? Curious how that played out. I really wanted to try a build with saviour, but I never saw one drop in 25 kills (this includes carries for other people), and I didn't want to buy one because I figured it'd end up being just another cyclone build and I'm pretty tired of cyclone.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Flicker sucks rear end on bosses, the swords do it well but it's still far worse than Cyclone. Lancing Steel with Fury Valve was solid, but as Slayer it just was a bit too awkward. As Deadeye with Awakened Chain it is fantastic, lower single target but amazing clear.

I only saw a single sword in 75 kills.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fister Roboto posted:

How viable would Poet's Pen VD be compared to Cyclone CWC or COC VD? I started out with the former setup until I get to level 38, but now I'm enjoying it so much I don't want to change :(

Probably similar damage wise but you lose out on the mobility and fortify

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im levelling Infernal Legion/Minion Instability SRS right now and with the bee MTX you only see the lil fire halo whizzing around and popping it's great

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im levelling Infernal Legion/Minion Instability SRS right now and with the bee MTX you only see the lil fire halo whizzing around and popping it's great

Please describe, in detail, the sound of all of this happening all at once.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elentor posted:

I'll be honest, there is no way I'd ever play a Pathfinder without writing a flask macro and that would be too much work.
Hell, I flask macro no matter what build I play. Hitting the same buttons on a regular interval is not fun or engaging gameplay. For this league I just lazily made a macro with the corsair keyboard software that hits 345 every six seconds, which is roughly the uptime on my three damage flasks. It is set to use one of my keys as a toggle.

My life and quicksilver flasks I hit manually.

I am sure that people have fancier AHK macros, but eh. This is good enough.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I assume dual-wielding Saviours doesn't give you 4 friends, right? So the build is Saviour + high-DPS Paradoxica/foil/whatever?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Correct, and it's pretty hard to beat Paradoxica without getting a >500 dps foil, if you're Champion or get even more flat phys you might need something >600.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pro-tip: Don't play PoE drunk. I was leveling a Lacerate Glad with a level 21 Wrath ring and Wrath effect String of Servitude. The next morning I realized I had Brutality socketed the whole time. I also tried crafting a +2 gems amulet, except for some reason I though Lacerate was a strength gem so I ended up just wasting a few ex.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Traxis posted:

Pro-tip: Don't play PoE drunk.

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

boo_radley posted:

Please describe, in detail, the sound of all of this happening all at once.

I turned off all sound FX with that config thing posted earlier :(

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
A good chunk of my big money items have come from the good ol' drunken craft.

Of course they also account for my complete lack of Alts.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Rutibex posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for people to tell you to take life nodes. That's usually one of the first things we tell new players. You won't feel it in the early acts, but you'll hit that wall you're expecting when you hit maps. As a summoner, it might not even be until yellow maps, but I always like to start early. You can start by picking up life nodes that lie right next to where you're going.

If you do all the side quests or at least the important ones, you should have around 20 passive respec points by the end of the game. You can use those free ones to drop the nodes you aren't using and get what you want or need. Using Orbs of Regret will also add a respec point you can use at any point, and those drop often enough for me that I can use a couple more after the free points without feeling bad about it, as long as I'm just making small changes to my tree. It's when you sit there thinking. "Man, I should just drop this whole side of the tree" and realize you'll need forty or fifty orbs to start with that you might be better off just rerolling.

Vasudus made a post on defensive layers in PoE and even though it was made for the way 3.9 has changed, I think it could be put in the first or second post of future threads as a starting point for new players when they start asking "How do I keep from dying?"

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cinara posted:

Flicker sucks rear end on bosses

There was that guy with 75 million dps with flicker strike, and by that point flicker didn't really suck against bosses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxaFxBvznc0

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Could anyone take a peek at this build and explain an interaction for me?: https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/%EB%B3%84%EC%9D%84%ED%97%A4%EB%A9%B0/%EB%A7%9D%ED%95%A0%EB%8C%80%EA%B8%B0%EC%97%B4

I'm wondering how Inpulsa's works with Herald of Ice. Inpulsa makes shocked monsters explode, but it can't shock. Do those explosions receive cold damage from his Herald of Ice, which can then shock more enemies, causing those to Inpulsa as well? Can a single killed enemy both Inpulsa Explode and Herald of Ice explode at the same time? Or does it kind of alternate as it propagates through a pack?

Fister Roboto posted:

Poet's Pen VD is nearly unusable now if you're Necro. It was my main character last league and was amazing for the budget (i.e. was less money for PP than the dozens of Ex for a CoC 6-link Exquisite Blade), and was very survivable because I could off-screen anything and had Soul Tether overleech.

In 3.8 you could spam Spell Cascaded VD and it would annihilate everything from 2 screens away and solo Blight maps for you (especially if you used Fending to get knockback on them, they would push Blight bosses all the way back to the portals).

But in 3.9, they limited the VD orbs to 60. Here's the thing, VD orbs last for 4.5 seconds. They take about 0.5 seconds to begin moving anywhere. And Necro's Corpse Pact with Spell Cascade means you're making about 50 VD orbs per second. So with the limit, they only get to move for half a second when you ramp up to full attack speed. If you remove Spell Cascade to try and get more range, you lose 2/3rds of your damage from the lack of Spell Cascade itself, then ANOTHER 2/3'rds of your damage because you're only destroying a third as many corpses as before, impacting your corpse pact attack speed bonus.

If you're Inquisitor or Scion, you could probably find ways to push damage through while never hitting the 60 orbs limit. But Necro PP is dead. All GGG would have to do to make it viable again is change the skill to make it consume 3 corpses for 1 single orb that shotguns the ground 3 times when it explodes; you'd have the same mechanics but the performance would be a million times better and it wouldn't be possible for anyone to hit 60 orbs. They killed a fun build with their dumb solution.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Could anyone take a peek at this build and explain an interaction for me?: https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/%EB%B3%84%EC%9D%84%ED%97%A4%EB%A9%B0/%EB%A7%9D%ED%95%A0%EB%8C%80%EA%B8%B0%EC%97%B4

I'm wondering how Inpulsa's works with Herald of Ice. Inpulsa makes shocked monsters explode, but it can't shock. Do those explosions receive cold damage from his Herald of Ice, which can then shock more enemies, causing those to Inpulsa as well? Can a single killed enemy both Inpulsa Explode and Herald of Ice explode at the same time? Or does it kind of alternate as it propagates through a pack?

Unless I'm missing something, the main part of the build is chaining shock explosions and prolif through Inpulsa's and the gloves. I don't see anything that makes Inpulsa's explosions freeze, but the crit chance from Assassin will make it so that the herald of ice explosions can crit and freeze more enemies and spread those explosions. I may be wrong but I think a frozen shocked enemy dying will trigger both explosions.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
It's not just PP VD either, my league starter was CWC VD and it turned out to be pretty unreliable. When it works properly it's awesome, when it doesn't I tend to just die.

I'm really not sold on the changes this league. GGG keep trying to slow player progression, and the atlas changes are seemingly aimed at this. But the end result seems to be the same as always: top tier players are barely affected and everyone else gets hit disproportionately hard. It's also hurt build diversity and viability imo. Powercreep isn't necessarily a good thing, but at least we had a few leagues where weird and offmeta builds could compete in endgame.

I think GGG needs to accept that some people are going to easily and quickly blast through the game and stop trying to balance around those players. It's just going to make it less fun for everyone else.

Anyway I'm sure you've all had enough of my whinging ingame so I'll leave it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Aerox posted:

One of these two: