Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

unlike NXT, AEW doesn't need to announce injuries each week so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jon Moxley threw the worst knees ever in that Lance Archer match.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like Riho in a vaccum but it makes her opponents look stupid selling her elbows and punches. I personally think there is a point where you can be too small for pro wrestling and as much as I like Marko he's right there too.

But then again that's all personal taste. If it's over, it's over.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I honestly have some mixed feelings about this. She's like 24, and her stuff in Japan would have been at about 21. That's not a lot of years, but it is a lot of years to a 20 year old. It's like 10% of her life, and those are some really dramatic change years. At least they were for me. I think Bix on this very forum (or it might have been pretend scoopsman rovert, I don't remember) reported a while back that she used to be a mess but has really matured in the last year or so. For me, if she was coming out and owning up to everything, I'd be willing to look past someone having been a poo poo at 21. As of now she's denying the n-word thing, but reports of her being really lovely a few years ago are too rampant to take her word for it. I am not really 100% comfortable with stuff someone says at 21 sticking with them forever. At the same time Jordynne Grace has never done any of these things, and is a more credible first female world champion anyways so I'd rather see her get Tessa's spot.

That's the exact age when people need to be held accountable for their behavior because that's when we learn that everyone hates edgelord bullshit. She's handled all this incredibly poorly and has shown basically zero ability to handle this with any amount of grace (which only serves to make the allegations seem more credible). All we have are vague dirtsheet reports of her "getting better" and the fact that even her defenders can't seem to point to any specific changes is pretty damning.

Jerusalem posted:

I believe the bolded part is the important part of Hellblazer's post.

It's half a sentence vs almost an entire paragraph, if his main point was "gently caress her though" it wouldn't be couched by a bunch of shithead apologia.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The word 'if' exists. You may have noticed that I used it, and its use changes the meaning of the paragraph. I'm not against her being held accountable. I did not suggest in any way, whatsoever, that she not be held accountable.

The 'it's one sentence in a whole paragraph!' argument is extremely dumb. If you said "she's not a good person" it would be very dumb for me to ignore the word 'not' and pretend you're defending her. Because hey, that's only one word in a whole sentence!

Tessa is obviously a racist bully. I hope she loses her place of prominence in wrestling, unless and until she learns from her mistakes, makes amends however possible, and pays some kind of penance. I even say someone else should have her spot in the very post you quoted. What part of that is saying she shouldn't be held accountable?

My entire point is that I hope she does that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/AChiphip10321/status/1216419453698744321

In response to Tessa getting dropped from a show ACH is working.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

The word 'if' exists. You may have noticed that I used it, and its use changes the meaning of the paragraph. I'm not against her being held accountable. I did not suggest in any way, whatsoever, that she not be held accountable.

The 'it's one sentence in a whole paragraph!' argument is extremely dumb. If you said "she's not a good person" it would be very dumb for me to ignore the word 'not' and pretend you're defending her. Because hey, that's only one word in a whole sentence!

Tessa is obviously a racist bully. I hope she loses her place of prominence in wrestling, unless and until she learns from her mistakes, makes amends however possible, and pays some kind of penance. I even say someone else should have her spot in the very post you quoted. What part of that is saying she shouldn't be held accountable?

My entire point is that I hope she does that.

Homie we can only make assumptions about your intentions based on what you post and a bunch of back and forth hand-wringing featuring stuff like this:

quote:

I am not really 100% comfortable with stuff someone says at 21 sticking with them forever.

Is gonna make people go "uhhh what?"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

No, but you could like, read the entire post. Where I say, explicitly, that I believe the accusation against her and that she should lose her spot. Maybe the post where I say I belive the accusation and think she should lose her spot is a brief glimpse of hint towards my belief that she is guilty of the thing she is accused of and should lose her spot.

Like there are enough people actually defending her. I'm just saying I hope she gets better and I'll support her if and only if she shows that growth. Maybe you disagree with that, and that's fine. But like, don't invent stuff I'm not saying and am in fact saying the opposite of.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

No, but you could like, read the entire post. Where I say, explicitly, that I believe the accusation against her and that she should lose her spot. Maybe the post where I say I belive the accusation and think she should lose her spot is a brief glimpse of hint towards my belief that she is guilty of the thing she is accused of and should lose her spot.

Like there are enough people actually defending her. I'm just saying I hope she gets better and I'll support her if and only if she shows that growth. Maybe you disagree with that, and that's fine. But like, don't invent stuff I'm not saying and am in fact saying the opposite of.

If anyone needs to go back and reread some posts it's you because nobody's accusing you of defending her.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Look, Tessa sucks. She needs to go. I hope she grows. If she does grow, and make amends, I'm personally willing to look past things she did at 21-22. Thats the sum total of my feelings on the matter and if anyone wants to argue further about that, please pm me so we don't keep posting about posting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think what matters more here is that Tessa hasn’t done anything make it up to La Rosa Negra over the years. It shows a tremendous lack of maturity and respect on Tessa’s part.

Extremely disappointing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That's the exact age when people need to be held accountable for their behavior because that's when we learn that everyone hates edgelord bullshit. She's handled all this incredibly poorly and has shown basically zero ability to handle this with any amount of grace (which only serves to make the allegations seem more credible). All we have are vague dirtsheet reports of her "getting better" and the fact that even her defenders can't seem to point to any specific changes is pretty damning.
Well in fairness its hard to prove that you're not being a shithead anymore. Its classic proving a negative. You're not gonna get a bunch of stories of her being amiable and nice on a day to day basis in the locker room even if its happening the same way you'd get stories of her being an rear end in a top hat, bully, racist, or whatever. Just a lot of vague comments about her "being better" or people liking her.

But on the other hand the way you can "prove" that kind of change is by openly acknowledging the need for it and that you were an rear end in a top hat before. That at least gives people reason to give you the benefit of the doubt that you recognize the problem and would want to address it. And it doesn't seem like Blanchard's passing that test.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/JDfromNY206/status/1216570050276143104

No context needed, I hope.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

WWE does have a history of making domestic abusers main eventers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's just so TNA to finally pull the trigger on Tessa Blanchard AFTER Twitter starts talking about her being an rear end in a top hat again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope when Sami Callihan Solomon Crowe returns to WWE he brings his shitstain trunks with him

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Some VoW writer posted posted:

The Elite and WWE are more alike than they are different, and they represent many of the issues we as fans were trying to get away from. The Elite are great wrestlers, but in changing the world they just wanted to make it more of the same.

Uhhhhh....

https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2020/01/13/did-we-like-the-elite-or-did-we-really-really-hate-wwe/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I dunno. Feels like there's a lot of truth to it, a lot of good will to AEW was just "hurrah, an alternative to the absolute dogshit WWE puts out" and then I watched it and just completely fell off it after 3 episodes of TV. It's an alternative but not nearly as much of one as I was hoping for, & really that was on me for expecting much after the Elite splitting angle nonsense from 2018.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VoW's Dark Order brainworms are extremely powerful and extremely weird.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
My eyes keep glazing over after the first paragraph until the last one, where does it rank on the correct AEW opinion, which is that it needs to be more Chikara rather than less.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I both disagree and agree with that? I like AEW but they've always been honest that their main inspiration is attitude era stuff and WCW. I would love NJPW in America but in hindsight it's obvious they were never promising that. Doesn't mean the Elite or AEW are bad though, lots of people are hungry for "WWE but good" and that's honestly probably a better market to chase then NJPW in America because that style is more niche in the US.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Also New Japan is already moving on making New Japan in America a thing and everyone involved in AEW KNEW this so why would they push towards aping or being derivative of a style when that style's main proponent is already moving into the market and has history on its side. AEW was already aware of New Japan expansion of at least the MSG show and a New Beginning Tour and potentially the G1 date in Texas before getting rolling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're absolutely wrong about 2018 NJPW. It loving owned and The Golden Lovers reunion was an amazing story.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gedo booked all of the things I liked about NJPW in 2018 and none of the things I didn’t like about NJPW in 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I discovered NJPW at the start of 2018 and oh boy did I pick the perfect time!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I mean one of the key things people point to as bad about WWE is long in ring promos. What do Cody and Jericho do every week (and Brandi)? Now both guys are very charismatic and good promos, so it's not as much of a problem as it COULD be, but there is a definite element of 'is not WWE' behind people's passion for AEW. I suspect some degree of it is also how much you grew up with WCW, though. While I did get Nitro on cable over here in the UK, we didn't have nearly the same ease of access and exposure to that product, so I have a lot less nostalgia for it than some, so I think some people are just happy to have wrestling on TNT again and are ignoring some weaknesses in the product.

And as much as All In is a good barometer for the tone, I think it says a lot that the two matches that were the most telling were the outliers on that show. The Janella/Page match with the dick druids and the Cody/Aldis match (which I'm still adamant sucked, sorry y'all :colbert:)

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

If I want to watch something like New Japan I'll just watch New Japan, it's not hard and at this point is actually easier for me to watch than something on TV. But until AEW showed up if I wanted some trashy soap-opera-y American-style wrestling my options were really only an unwatchable WWE or Impact (which will never really get that "lol TNA" stink out, as unfair as it is to say). WWE but good was what I wanted from them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

If I want to watch something like New Japan I'll just watch New Japan, it's not hard and at this point is actually easier for me to watch than something on TV. But until AEW showed up if I wanted some trashy soap-opera-y American-style wrestling my options were really only an unwatchable WWE or Impact (which will never really get that "lol TNA" stink out, as unfair as it is to say). WWE but good was what I wanted from them.

Which is totally fine, but also not really what they were pushing as their goal in the lead up. All the talk of 'more sports, less sports-entertainment' feels kind of like being sold a bill of goods when all it really seems to mean is the win-loss records and rankings, it doesn't really seem to translate much to the on-screeen presentation much at all. If Khan and Cody et al had been direct about 'we wanna be Nitro in 1996' then I think people would at least have had a more accurate picture of what was being aimed at.

Basically, a chunk of the audience WAS expecting something like NJPW, and as easy as it is to get NJPW World, I think it's a thousand percent underestimated by people how big a difference basic cable TV makes to access for an audience compared to a niche streaming service that still has issues with parts of the website, even if the actual content experience is much better (my debit card expired recently and it took me like 30 minutes to even find a screen shot showing me where the option to update my payment info was as it's not translated)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 14, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

the Cody/Aldis match (which I'm still adamant sucked

i liked cody/aldis and am sad that the nwa got so racist that i can no longer enjoy watching Big Nick do his thing

Gaz-L posted:

sorry y'all :colbert:)

s'cool

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Which is totally fine, but also not really what they were pushing as their goal in the lead up. All the talk of 'more sports, less sports-entertainment' feels kind of like being sold a bill of goods when all it really seems to mean is the win-loss records and rankings, it doesn't really seem to translate much to the on-screeen presentation much at all. If Khan and Cody et al had been direct about 'we wanna be Nitro in 1996' then I think people would at least have had a more accurate picture of what was being aimed at.

Basically, a chunk of the audience WAS expecting something like NJPW, and as easy as it is to get NJPW World, I think it's a thousand percent underestimated by people how big a difference basic cable TV makes to access for an audience compared to a niche streaming service that still has issues with parts of the website, even if the actual content experience is much better (my debit card expired recently and it took me like 30 minutes to even find a screen shot showing me where the option to update my payment info was as it's not translated)

More doesn't mean "purely" and less doesn't mean "zero".

Cody/Aldis did suck. Cody tried so hard to make it mean something and Aldis was just so loving bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing I can't stop marvelling at is Aldis somehow forgot how to do a FIGURE FOUR in the middle of the match. Like, they're dead centre on the hard cam and you can see Cody having to actually figure four his OWN LEGS so they can finish the spot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the problem most fans have with WWE is not “sports entertainment” but that they’re so bad at it. AEW is managing to stand out just because people are allowed to try and get over.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

The thing I can't stop marvelling at is Aldis somehow forgot how to do a FIGURE FOUR in the middle of the match. Like, they're dead centre on the hard cam and you can see Cody having to actually figure four his OWN LEGS so they can finish the spot.

well, i mean... that part was not great

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It would've been an easy 5-star if after frog splashing Brandi, Aldis had dragged Pharoah on top of Cody and frog splashed him too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MJeff posted:

It would've been an easy 5-star if after frog splashing Brandi, Aldis had dragged Pharoah on top of Cody and frog splashed him too.

:vick:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're absolutely wrong about 2018 NJPW. It loving owned and The Golden Lovers reunion was an amazing story.

Its a very divisive issue: and really depends on how you feel about the Elite more broadly. Lots of people didn't like 2018 New Japan at all: I liked bits (Omega's big title win over Okada really felt special at the time) but you also had a lot of them booking Cody and the Bucks and other people who weren't really over in Japan in very prominent spots and let them book what they wanted which meant that to really understand lots of it you had to pay attention to their web series which I didn't like. It certainly was a massive reason in why the Bullet Club split angle wasn't over in Japan: the other than Omega and Ibushi no one else involved was really that over and the crowds didn't really care about that so much. Omega's title reign was a bit of a wet fart with two of his three defences having Cody in them and I didn't really like the fact that you basically had Ibushi presented as secondary to Kenny Omega for all of that year wasn't something I liked. I'd have Omega back in an instant and perhaps Page but like no one else is really needed from there.

Its way I'm broadly happier with 2019 New Japan than I am with 2018; despite Okada's most recent reign also being rough (having to defend so much against SANADA didn't help) the other stuff on the shows has been a lot more interesting and to my liking and post-WK it feels fresher than it has for a long time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The elite aren’t that interesting in AEW but AEW is entertaining me in a more positive way than WWE ever did.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kenny's reign was better than any of the reigns that have followed, as it turned out. Naito's reign will probably wind up being better than Kenny's after he gets past this filler defense.

I mean, Okada's reign got lit at the very end, I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The 1st bullet club split was fine but then it was immediately followed by another Bullet Club split that was much flatter.

The Tana/Kenny feud was also kinda weird but it ended very strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The thing that really should have tipped off people that this wouldn't be NJPW on American TV is the fact they had an actual tag division exactly one guy who really worked NJPW main event style, and if you want straightforward NJPW style booking but with American indie workers you're kind of just looking for EVOLVE with a TV deal, and NXT already exists.

Also the NJPW style of booking where July and August are a breakneck sprint then everything between September and December is essentially meaningless just does not work on American TV

I Before E fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 14, 2020