Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is there a site that curates good sumo matches or am I gonna have to scum through Twitch archives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

is there a site that curates good sumo matches or am I gonna have to scum through Twitch archives?

99% of the time everything good is going to be from the top division, that's a 25~ minute video showing you all the bouts and much less if you mash right arrow between matches.

I was gonna say this link to Natto Sumo is in the OP, but I guess it isn't?

Natto does full Makuuchi highlights and tries to do Juryo as well but for day 1 had 3 Juryo matches and for day 2 had 7, says he'll have all Juryo matches for day 3 but who knows.

I know I'm subscribed to a channel or two that occasionally post good matches from the lower divisions but I'd need to dig to find them.

Anyway here's more context on Ozeki promotion:

I can find 1 person who's been promoted to Ozeki after 27 wins, in 1949. (which is the year Bashos increased from 10 days to 15 days)
If you expand that to 28 wins, 4 more people get added to the list, most recent in 1966.
29 adds another name to the list, most recent still the same.
If we're looking at up to 30 wins, that's 11 people total and one of them is newer than the previous lists, Kaiketsu was promoted in 1974 after (S)7-8,(K)12-3 Yusho, (S)11-4 Jun-Yusho.

Expanding to 31 wins brings us to 15 total, with these 3 being later than Kaiketsu:

Expanding to 32 wins gives us 23 people total, the 3 most recent being Goeido, Kisenosato and Chiyotaikai.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.as...=s&form4_rank=o

^Here's the query itself, you can change the "sum_wins=32" in the URL to other numbers to see the previous results I described for yourself.

TL;DR Unless Asanoyama is a time traveler he's not getting promoted with 29 or whatever, even if there's 0 other Ozeki.

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For the daily digests, Natto looks like he only goes back to 2018. Kintamayama, who is in the OP looks like he goes back to 2011 but he stopped after the last tourney.

If you want specific matches, you'll need recommendations or timestamps unless you just want to watch the full days. I don't know if any "top sumo matches of all time" list that you could just scroll through but I'd love to know if there was.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

For the daily digests, Natto looks like he only goes back to 2018. Kintamayama, who is in the OP looks like he goes back to 2011 but he stopped after the last tourney.

If you want specific matches, you'll need recommendations or timestamps unless you just want to watch the full days. I don't know if any "top sumo matches of all time" list that you could just scroll through but I'd love to know if there was.

Oh I'm dumb it didn't even occur to me that coconoco might've been asking for good matches from previous Basho, uhhh for that the best thing I can think of is real dumb, there's a dude who leaves comments on Jason's videos named "Tubewings" who last basho was leaving a comment every day (Either on the first or last video of every day, I forgot) linking to some good old matches basically as a celebration of Jason's channel existing for a decade.

I probably should have better answers to this type of question though, hmm.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm watching the replay of day 1, first of enho had a great bout and second do they ever reset for holding a position too long?

oh wow endo has done well there.

Day 2 opens with a great bout too.

edit are you allowed to try and grab a guy's fat rolls? chiyotairu has definitely just tried that

double edit, I like that endo is listed as 5'12". Great match with hakuho, so many trip attempts. Those flying cushions lol.

Man, that page about sumo salaries goes to the sekitori page, which has this sad point:
The benefits of being a sekitori compared to lower ranked wrestlers are significant and include:
to be able to get married and live away from the training stable

Hattorizakura will never get married :(

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 13, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only post about Takayasu so let’s keep that going. Ineffective. Luckiest win since it was basically a draw. Shouldn’t ever have gotten to that point. No toxx but I don’t see him regaining Ozeki and unless he gets his head in the game and/or heals up real quick then he’s just going to stay middling until he retires.

Or maybe he pulls a Tochinoshin and rises like a phoenix.... before coming back down to earth again. But I’m just being pessimistic now.

Loved that Endo Hakuho bout. That’s what Sumo should be about. Loved everything about it. The cocky little AW YISS face Endo made too lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

coconono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonsinJapan/videos
this is where i get my high rank bois

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mekchu posted:

*hurriedly purifies the Daihyo*

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

^ Yo dude I don't know if you went out of your way to change the default timg tag when quoting to just img or if that's the result of some bug, but could you not? Thanks.

Edit: wait, even the actual post you're quoting already had it as timg, so you absolutely did go out of your way, great posting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

this is awesome. I got to see Enho vs Takarafuji!!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

What a great photo!

(Spoilered for day 2)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Are there any bald Rikishi?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Are there any bald Rikishi?

Shaving your head = retirement, there's balding Rikishi but their Tokoyama still do their best to put whatever hair they have left in to the traditional shape.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Osunaarashi was pretty thin on top. As long as there's enough on the back and sides to form some sort of topknot it's all good.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brut posted:

Shaving your head = retirement, there's balding Rikishi but their Tokoyama still do their best to put whatever hair they have left in to the traditional shape.
Yeah, if you physically can't grow enough hair for a topknot they'll still let you compete, but if there's the barest possibility they'll go to great lengths to sculpt one. Here's Hakurozan, who was maybe the baldest top-level guy of the past couple of decades:

And Taikomaru, who never got above Sandanme and I believe had alopecia or something similar:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also; the lengths Sumo goes to not protect anybody is astonishing.
Does the circle need to be elevated? Yes
Can the elevated platform extend to maybe more than 3 feet from the circle so falling Rikishi don't splat on the goddamn ground? Nope
How about a barricade: Nope (Not that that would help much)
Pad the Floor: Nope (or do they)
Maybe don't put fans so close to the ring they're in constant danger of being pancaked by falling meteorites of flesh?: You do not have a front row seat unless you ready to die.

Seriously, fans MUST get messed up by flying Rikishi right?

Swear to God. Do something wrong once it's a mistake, do it 100 times and its a tradition.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not gonna lie, I'm really enjoying watching sumo far more than I was expecting to. I'm sure it'll peter out but right now its pretty rad. I'm genuinely hoping I can go catch the Fukuoka tournament in November since it's only a 60minute flight from where I am.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah watching dudes face plant on the judges in the prelims was pretty funny but I gotta imagine it’s hurt a few people pretty bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The shimpan and expensive ring side seats ARE the padding :ssh:

Mekchu posted:

I'm genuinely hoping I can go catch the Fukuoka tournament in November since it's only a 60minute flight from where I am.

If you get the chance, definitely go. I went last May and had an amazing time. Showed up right at the start of pee-wee sumo and stayed through the end and it was great. I did get a little bored with the baby ranks so I got out of my seat and went around to explore the kokugikan. The building itself isn’t that large, but they have some tasty food to sample, and plenty of fatman souvenirs to buy. I bought everything with Takayasu’s face or handprint on it.

I’m going again this May and I’ll try to get tickets for the later days, but I probably won’t show up until Juryo starts this time around.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2020

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The gods dont need padding and neither do you, now get out there and make us proud.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A May tournament wouldn't be out of the question, which means me going to the IJF World Tour in December will be less harmful to my spending over the year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

May is also an awesome time in Tokyo. The weather has been amazing the last two years I went. Out of luck for cherry blossoms but no heckin oppressive humidity to deal with.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in Korea and we have cherry blossoms here so I'm not really missing out on that too much.

I remember June/July in Japan being super humid last time I was there that wasn't a layover.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm really enjoying watching sumo far more than I was expecting to. I'm sure it'll peter out but right now its pretty rad. I'm genuinely hoping I can go catch the Fukuoka tournament in November since it's only a 60minute flight from where I am.

Same. I always figured I could be a fan of any fighting but there's a lot to love (and look sideways at) about sumo. I'm having a lot of fun. Not as much as my homie endo, but still plenty.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So to clarify my understanding of how rankings work. Endo is a Maegashira but is ranked 1 so possibly can reach Komosubi with a strong showing in this tournament right?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

So to clarify my understanding of how rankings work. Endo is a Maegashira but is ranked 1 so possibly can reach Komosubi with a strong showing in this tournament right?

at least, if he continues down this path. though i've never seen anyone here profess to have any loving idea how the elders decide this poo poo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Yeah there's not really any special rules for promotion to Komusubi and Sekiwake, you can think of them as Maegashira 0 and -1, people get promoted from M1 to K with an 8-7 record all the time, and from K to S. Though sometimes they also don't get promoted with even better record, because there's no room.

That being said, there's practical differences like not being eligible for Kinboshi, having a higher salary than the Maegashira guys, and being in that lineup ceremony on opening day.

For example, lanky man Abi has been stuck at Komusubi despite 9-6 records because Ozeki keep loving up and getting demoted to Sekiwake, taking up the slots:

Marching Powder posted:

at least, if he continues down this path. though i've never seen anyone here profess to have any loving idea how the elders decide this poo poo.

The people who run Tachiai.org do a Banzuke prediction and they're usually correct about most ranks, and slightly wrong (like, within half a rank) of a few.

One of the cool things about the SumoDB is that you can query something like, show me all M8e that have gone 12-3, for example, and you can see where they ended up in rank and make a relatively informed prediction just based on that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 14, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Yeah there's not really any special rules for promotion to Komusubi and Sekiwake, you can think of them as Maegashira 0 and -1, people get promoted from M1 to K with an 8-7 record all the time, and from K to S. Though sometimes they also don't get promoted with even better record, because there's no room.

However, if you do well enough, you can force your way in even if there is no room regularly. Like if all 4 current S/K guys go 8-7 or better, Enho also going 8-7 may not earn him a spot, but if he gets 9+, they may open up a K2e spot for him.

If you look at the September tournament last year http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201909, M1e Hokotofuji was 9-6, M2e Asanoyma was 10-5 and all 4 regular spots were taken either by winning records, or Takakeisho and Tochinoshin swapping O/S spots so in November, there were 4 Komsubi http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201911.

Wondering whether or not they open the extra spot, or what criteria they use to decide is most of the fun in between tournaments.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
To add further:

- there must always be two sekiwake and two komusubi each tournament
- there can be more of either, it's at the discretion of the elders drawing up the banzuke
- if both current sekiwake have a winning record (8-7 or better) and an ozeki is demoted, there will be three sekiwake next tournament, this is non-negotiable
- in cases where both sekiwake/komusubi have a winning record and someone from a lower rank does *well enough*, a third position for either rank may be created for the next tournament
- what does *well enough* mean? no-one knows lol, it's entirely the subjective judgement of the Old Men Who Decide Things

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 14, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

The people who run Tachiai.org do a Banzuke prediction and they're usually correct about most ranks, and slightly wrong (like, within half a rank) of a few.

One of the cool things about the SumoDB is that you can query something like, show me all M8e that have gone 12-3, for example, and you can see where they ended up in rank and make a relatively informed prediction just based on that.

that's a wonderful tool

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

That being said, there's practical differences like not being eligible for Kinboshi, having a higher salary than the Maegashira guys, and being in that lineup ceremony on opening day.

For example, lanky man Abi has been stuck at Komusubi despite 9-6 records because Ozeki keep loving up and getting demoted to Sekiwake, taking up the slots:

So is it that there's a set number of people allowed at X rank that explains why Abi has yet to be promoted?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mekchu posted:

So is it that there's a set number of people allowed at X rank that explains why Abi has yet to be promoted?
There's no formal maximum number for any rank, but it's almost universal that the more current holders of (x rank) there are, the more spectacular your results have to be to get promoted there.

The usual standard for making Ozeki is 33 wins over three tournaments, all from the top Maegashira ranks at the least. If there's only one or two Ozeki, 31 or 32 wins starting from as low as Maegashira 3 or 4 might be enough, if there's four of them already you could need as many as 35 and all of them with at least 10 wins and including one tournament win and one runner-up position. Maybe not even then.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

To add on to the Asanoyama promotion chat, I believe one of the elders speaking for the NSK (it might have been Hakkaku himself) stated after Kyushu that they do not consider Asanoyama to be on an ozeki run. Most of the theorycrafting I've seen suggests that that means just hitting the numbers won't be enough. If he gets, say a 13-2 or 14-1 yusho then yeah, they'll probably promote him. But if he just gets a nice 12 wins they'll likely make him wait another basho, like Takakeisho.

Great sumo today! Endo v. Hakuho was as good as everyone said.

Day 2 standings:

code:
Bentai		6
bessantj	5
fisting by many	6
Kenning		5
Marching Powder	5
Martytoof	6
Mekchu		5
ratmosphere	6
Rigel		7
Robviously	6
Scythe		5
sivad		5
Spokes		8
Thauros		4
The current wire is:

Scythe
bessantj
Martytoof
Sivad
Kenning
fisting by many
Robviously
Thauros
Spokes
Marching Powder
ratmosphere
Mekchu
Rigel
Bentai

The following rikishi are unavailable for trade:

Hakuho
Kakuryu
Asanoyama
Takayasu
Mitakeumi
Enho
Tochinoshin
Kaisei

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 14, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very tempted to hop on the Endo bangwagon but I'd drop more points than I think it will end up being worth.

Also are the standings just for each day and not cumulative points? Day 1 I had 5 pts, a few of my guys on Day 2 got wins but I only went up 1 pt total. Sorry I'm very confused by the maths of things.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mekchu posted:

Very tempted to hop on the Endo bangwagon but I'd drop more points than I think it will end up being worth.

Also are the standings just for each day and not cumulative points? Day 1 I had 5 pts, a few of my guys on Day 2 got wins but I only went up 1 pt total. Sorry I'm very confused by the maths of things.

No point in picking up Endo for his kinboshi, those only count if they're scored while he's on your team. Actually, since you asked I double-checked the scores and I'd accidentally marked Kakuryu as a win on day 1, so I fixed that and updated the scores. On day 1 you only got 1 point, from Asanoyama. On Day 2 you got 4 points, from Kakuryu, Asanoyama, Takarafuji, and Tsurugisho. You might be confused because your draft picks included 3 guys at each rank, but your team only has 1 guy at each rank. The point of choosing 3 per rank just makes it possible for me to do the draft with the limitations on how many people can have a given wrestler at one time.

The rules and scoring can be found here. It's pretty straightforward right now: you get 1 point per win. If someone gets a kinboshi that's 2 points. Later on we'll start notching winning records and losing records, which are 1 point and -.5 points respectively. Then at the end there are special prizes, the yusho, and the jun yusho.

Since I fill out the spreadsheet manually I occasionally make mistakes, like with Kakuryu. However, I reference with Sumo DB as I score up, so I generally catch it before the end of the tournament, and basically double-check everything when scoring on the final Sunday. As far as I know I've never had a mistake on the final scores.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm sticking by my useless idiots

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kenning posted:

Since I fill out the spreadsheet manually I occasionally make mistakes, like with Kakuryu. However, I reference with Sumo DB as I score up, so I generally catch it before the end of the tournament, and basically double-check everything when scoring on the final Sunday. As far as I know I've never had a mistake on the final scores.

show us the spreadsheet!!!!!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahhhh. I was adding all 3 guys at each rank for my score. That makes sense now. Ty

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i love my little man

but where is AOIYAMA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

i love my little man

but where is AOIYAMA?

He's 2-0 at M8e what do you mean?