Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been playing Steamworld Heist here and there the past couple of weeks. I like that the aiming is free aiming with slow, unpredictable sway rather than having baked in spread (on non shotguns/SMGs, at least) or percentage to hit calculations - you shoot where your gun is pointing. It gives you a much better thread of cause and effect when you whiff a shot or land a really difficult crit from the other side of the room.

What I really love, though, is the ricochet mechanic - all bullets will bounce at predictable angles off of walls and floors until they reach their max range or hit cover/an enemy. There's been several times that I've missed a shot, only to have it bounce off three walls and hit the intended target in the back, or a completely different enemy, or the explosive barrel right next to my squad mate. It's always hilarious, even when it works against you, due in part to the fact that missions are short and the consequences for losing are never that bad. It's also fun when you have sighted weapons that draw the full ricochet arc for you as you aim, letting you set up some truly absurd snipes.

The whole game really hits a sweet spot of being mechanically easy to grasp and rarely punishing, yet potentially quite difficult to overcome. I never feel like playing for more than half an hour at a time, but it has a way of drawing you back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kennel posted:

Only if they are from one of the five countries with localized voice acting. :(

There's mods of course.

I recommend them!

Not just because I do the Scottish voice acting in the International Voice Pack

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Yeah, it really was the worst of both worlds. Everyone speaking English is silly, but it's one of those conventions that we just accept as being done for the benefit of the audience.
It's revealed later that they're speaking English in-universe, which makes the immersive option even weirder

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Confusing naming convention but thats referring to the PAL version. Its basically saying only useable on an american system.

It gets worse! There were two versions of the NES released in the PAL region (or at least the UK), and they were incompatible with each other's games for some reason; that's what the reference to a Mattel version is iirc.

Edit: I think you have the two confused as well, that's the european box art.

Disproportionation has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jan 13, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's pretty hilarious how Rise of the Tomb Raider let's you play as this idiot Westerner who meets noble savages and then five minutes later stomps around their hunting grounds killing deer with an assault rifle and molotovs.

I also love this random photo bombing chicken.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Having Lara speak to people in English and having them speak back in Quecha was worse, since it implied that both characters were bilingual but refused to speak the same tongue for... reasons?
Not unreasonable. Maybe they understand the language OK but don't speak it confidently so they each prefer to speak in the language they're fluent in and which the other person understands well enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

AssCreed in general are pretty good with stuff like that. In AssCreed 3 for example native characters would talk In their native language. I like Ubisoft policy about being AS historical accurate as possible while also pointing out that it is fiction and some things are added because they're cool.

They worked with a couple of Mohawk translators who also did consultation on what would be considered an accurate and respectful depiction of the tribe. This includes respecting Mohawk naming tradition which holds that each name must be unique.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

muscles like this! posted:

They worked with a couple of Mohawk translators who also did consultation on what would be considered an accurate and respectful depiction of the tribe. This includes respecting Mohawk naming tradition which holds that each name must be unique.

That's actually pretty cool. Too bad about the rest of the game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Away all Goats posted:

That's actually pretty cool. Too bad about the rest of the game

I kind of liked the atmosphere of the ending, where Connor and Charles Lee are just sitting in a bar exhausted from their chase and share a reasonably amicable drink before the inevitable happens.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of liked the atmosphere of the ending, where Connor and Charles Lee are just sitting in a bar exhausted from their chase and share a reasonably amicable drink before the inevitable happens.

I'm a pretty big apologist for the series because I like it's particular brand of kidney stabbing action, but that scene and the scenes in the mohawk village are the only things I remember from 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My biggest problem was that two of the main bosses were totally optional. Because I didn't do all the ship missions, I never killed them, so when Connor is taking down the portraits I was just like "Wait, who the gently caress were they?"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There was so much optional poo poo the game ended up being completely different things to most people. It was surreal watching reviewers act like Black Flag introduced naval battles to the series, it was exactly the same system

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i really liked Assassin's Creed 3 but it was my first and only entry to the series. I had played maybe 10 minutes of the first one and bounced off it hard, so AC3 seemed like a massive glorious step up, warts and all.

i liked wandering around the wilderness and discovering things... but yeah, the scene BioEnchanted mentioned is a good'un.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dash Rendar posted:

i really liked Assassin's Creed 3 but it was my first and only entry to the series. I had played maybe 10 minutes of the first one and bounced off it hard, so AC3 seemed like a massive glorious step up, warts and all.

i liked wandering around the wilderness and discovering things... but yeah, the scene BioEnchanted mentioned is a good'un.

I also loved that Haytham was apparently so naive he never realised Charles Lee was a bad person. When you interact with him at Haytham it's all "Hey buddy, I'm a totally normal well adjusted person!" but as soon as he meets Connor it's all "MUHAHAHAHA! I'M A TOTAL LUNATIC!" and Haytham's totally surprised that he massacred the tribe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

It's pretty hilarious how Rise of the Tomb Raider let's you play as this idiot Westerner who meets noble savages and then five minutes later stomps around their hunting grounds killing deer with an assault rifle and molotovs.
To be fair, at least one sidequest had you hunting boars for them. I actually like how in Shadow they actually calls Lara out on this, like one character gets really angry when Lara starts to break stuff. I haven't played that much og Shadow but so far the plot is that Lara hosed up In a big way and have to fix it, which is an intersting direction.

BioEnchanted posted:

I also loved that Haytham was apparently so naive he never realised Charles Lee was a bad person. When you interact with him at Haytham it's all "Hey buddy, I'm a totally normal well adjusted person!" but as soon as he meets Connor it's all "MUHAHAHAHA! I'M A TOTAL LUNATIC!" and Haytham's totally surprised that he massacred the tribe.

I also like how Haytham is portrayed as an idiot from the start. At one point he walks into a tavern and you're supposed to not raise suspicion and yet he starts a fight right away.

Dash Rendar posted:

AC3 is a massive step up from the first game, bit that's only because the first game is a massive grind with an unlikable protagonist. The rest of the games are even better

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

My biggest problem was that two of the main bosses were totally optional. Because I didn't do all the ship missions, I never killed them, so when Connor is taking down the portraits I was just like "Wait, who the gently caress were they?"

That wass also the case for Arkham Origins. "Lady Shiva is rampaging through the city, but you dont't have to stop her If you don't feel like it."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

AC3 is a massive step up from the first game, bit that's only because the first game is a massive grind with an unlikable protagonist. The rest of the games are even better

Yeah, if you've only played 1 and 3 then the Ezio games will blow you away

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I forget the title- but the third Ezio game was just fun from top to bottom.

Never finished Black Flag though. I felt bad for the whales.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AC2 and AC2: Brotherhood are hilarious because they stick to historical facts broadly when they can, so at the end of AC2, Ezio fistfights the pope and lets him live because the pope did not in fact die in a fistfight to some rando, leading to the opening of Brotherhood, where everyone is like "Ezio, you loving moron, you let the leader of our enemies escape and gently caress you up".

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jan 14, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Historical fiction shouldn't feel the need to be overly realistic if the intent isn't about historical accuracy in the first place. In JoJo Rabbit Hitler is portrayed by a kiwi-jewish guy who smokes and eats unicorns because the director thought he was a oval office and not worth depicting accurately.

Even when you do historical attention to detail a certain minority of people get salty because they do not believe Roman gladiators did product placement or London has always had a diverse ethnic makeup. These people are to be ignored.

I had a lot of fun with AC Odyssey and that game would been less interesting without the Minotaur and Medusa you fight, and less marketable if they kept in the pederasty Ancient Greece is known for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite fun fact about Roman gladiators is that vendors would sell little clay dolls of the popular ones, complete with accessories like signature weapons and helmets. Between that and the graffiti walls announcing the equivalent of "I'm gay", fart jokes, and "lol", it tells you a lot about the human condition. Namely, that it wasn't the internet that made us stupid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

Never finished Black Flag though. I felt bad for the whales.

gently caress'em, I spent the majority of my time with Black Flag and Rogue killing whales and sharks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite fun fact about Roman gladiators is that vendors would sell little clay dolls of the popular ones, complete with accessories like signature weapons and helmets. Between that and the graffiti walls announcing the equivalent of "I'm gay", fart jokes, and "lol", it tells you a lot about the human condition. Namely, that it wasn't the internet that made us stupid.

And they were hired by merchants to do advertisements and endorsements of products.

Supposedly the director of that Russel Crowe Gladiator movie years ago had thought about including a scene of Crowe doing just that, but decided that audiences wouldn't believe that that actually happened irl.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

gently caress'em, I spent the majority of my time with Black Flag and Rogue killing whales and sharks.

:norway:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alhazred posted:

AC3 is a massive step up from the first game, bit that's only because the first game is a massive grind with an unlikable protagonist.

And the first one has unskippable cutscenes.

There's one cutscene which is a good 20 minutes long and has a loving quicktime button mash halfway through. It's also right before one of the most entertaining missions of the game, so any time you wanted to replay that mission you had to sit through an entire 20 minutes of bullshit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And the first one has unskippable cutscenes.

There's one cutscene which is a good 20 minutes long and has a loving quicktime button mash halfway through. It's also right before one of the most entertaining missions of the game, so any time you wanted to replay that mission you had to sit through an entire 20 minutes of bullshit.

The cutscenes are also just the worst as they consists of a person delivering exposition in front of static camera. "What if we made the cutscenes actually interesting" was another innovation AssCreed 2 brought to the franchise.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Jan 14, 2020

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just spent most of my time sailing around listening to shanties. God they were so good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I just spent most of my time sailing around listening to shanties. God they were so good.

GIMME A GAL CAN DANCE FAN-DAN-GO
(weigh, me boys, to cuba!)
ROUND AS A MELON AND SWEET AS A MANGO
(runnin down to cuba!)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Oh we're not complainin'
but there's still one more thing remainin',
cause Bread is quite borin' if that's all you eat~!
We need some flavour, so do us all a little favour
cause We ain't goin' nowhere til we get some meat!

Eidle-eidle-ee! Eidle-eidle-ee!
We simply can't leave until we've got some meat!
Sooo
Do us a favour, find somethin with a little flavous
cause We goin' nowhere til we've got some meat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9NnGcB094

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The first guy you assassinate in ac2 barely choking out an up yours figlio di puttana and then promptly dying was :discourse: after a full game of people spouting their entire life story while they bled out of a huge hole on their throat

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Black Flag was fun when in water for the most part, which was spoiled by the parts not in water, and also the 563 mandatory boat-based tailing/stealth missions

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I had a problem with them abandoning the Juno thing after the third game. I wanted future segments where Desmond would have to use his bleeding to assassinate a bunch of goddesses in the future while his ancestor cleaned up the past, but nope, Juno is released and then it apparently gets resolved in some comic or something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Calaveron posted:

The first guy you assassinate in ac2 barely choking out an up yours figlio di puttana and then promptly dying was :discourse: after a full game of people spouting their entire life story while they bled out of a huge hole on their throat

In contrast, the folks who worked in the death sequences of Origins really amped up the whole thing and it did turn out to be great as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rv-N25qmrU&t=378s

Spoilers for, well, the entire game, obviously

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of my biggest gaming regrets is missing the bro hug QTE at the start of AC Brotherhood, I don't remember why I never went back for it but it was probably buried too deep in cutscenes and far away from a checkpoint

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved Leonardo starting to come onto Ezio at the end of his Brotherhood questline but abandoning it when it was clear Ezio had no idea what was going on due to being super innocent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Historical fiction shouldn't feel the need to be overly realistic if the intent isn't about historical accuracy in the first place. In JoJo Rabbit Hitler is portrayed by a kiwi-jewish guy who smokes and eats unicorns because the director thought he was a oval office and not worth depicting accurately.

Even when you do historical attention to detail a certain minority of people get salty because they do not believe Roman gladiators did product placement or London has always had a diverse ethnic makeup. These people are to be ignored.

I had a lot of fun with AC Odyssey and that game would been less interesting without the Minotaur and Medusa you fight, and less marketable if they kept in the pederasty Ancient Greece is known for.

I’ve always liked the level of historical accuracy that the AC series had; yeah they made changes for their wacky sci-fi poo poo but by and large they kept things to the facts. I get a kick out of the fact you can always tell when and where the next game will take place by what PhD’s in history they’re looking to hire.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like how the last two AC games have had History Tours to please people on the historical accuracy side and bazillion damage teleport spells to amuse RPG fans such as myself.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I'm making another attempt to play Skyrim because, just like all the Elder Scrolls games before it, I've never actually completed the main quest.

So last night I'm walking along the road from Whiterun to Markarth and a encounter a Frost Dragon and Giant on the ground fighting. The giant is winning big time, so the dragon decides to take off and fight from the sky. The giant is not about to let the dragon get away that easily, so he walks onto the dragon's back and rides the dragon into the air! Totally unphazed by being hundreds of feet off the ground the giant walks along the dragons back then bashes the dragon's head with a critical. This causes the dragon to flip around in midair, throwing the giant off, then come crashing to the ground with barely any health left. Easy kill for me.

The heroic giant unfortunately did not survive the fall. :D

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

exquisite tea posted:

I like how the last two AC games have had History Tours to please people on the historical accuracy side and bazillion damage teleport spells to amuse RPG fans such as myself.

There’s achievements (the most important reason to play games) for going through the historical tours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm making another attempt to play Skyrim because, just like all the Elder Scrolls games before it, I've never actually completed the main quest.
You're not missing anything

actually this goes in the pet peeve thread but the "get down here and fight me you coward dragon" shout is locked behind like half the main quest in Skyrim, gently caress that