Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

I love it when community enthusiasts discover stuff like that, that's awesome.

Seconding that, that is so freaking awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't done much reading on it, but seems like people with GXs easily remove the AHC and convert to coils, is the problem with the LXs that you get warning lights? One guy on the GX forum moved the AHC height sensor and was able to raise it 2" while keeping AHC.

The GX rear air suspension and the LX AHC (literally hydrolic magic struts) are completely different things. On GXs you throw away the bags and put in a coil spring and go on with your life. On the 100 you rip all the AHC poo poo off and unplug the right things and it's FINE. On the 200 its magic.... There's a thread where people are starting to delete things and get away with it but I cant find it for the life of me.

MomJeans420 posted:

I made my first change to my GX today, swapping out the driving support switch control for the Canadian version in order to get muti-terrain select support. Pretty easy task, just take off a bunch of trim, the passenger knee airbag, and the glove box and you can swap the module out.

The GX's and toyota in general are great about letting you fart modules in to upgrade things. There is a huge thread about retrofitting all the magic computers with part numbers for the gen 2 150 series.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

With the 100 the part number for the loom in the poverty pack and the Sahara is the same, so you can take all the goodies from the Sahara’s and drop them into your GXL 100 and it just works- climate control, traction control, optitronic instruments... rear air con, centre console cooler box....

Part of me has been seriously tempted to buy a written off late model Sahara V8 for cheap to steal all the fancy poo poo out of it, but keep the manual drive train that was only available in the GXL

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
As a landcruiser lover I'm enjoying this thread! I'm hoping to pick up a 100 series pretty soon.

I've previously had a 80 series with a 1HD-T and a 75 series that had a 6.5 optimizer swapped into it. Loved my 80 series but the 75 didn't really work for what I want to do, which is long distance touring.

I'm in Oz and the market for 100 series here is.....interesting. They're probably some of the most overpriced second hand vehicles on the market at the moment.

Example

More likely I'll end up with something like this

The 1HD-FTE commands a huge price premium over the petrol variants, something like the one above could be had in petrol for literally half the price. However the fact that the petrol is so thirsty and that you can't always get unleaded in some of the more remote parts of the country means it's not really an option I'm keen on.

I briefly considered a 200 as a lot of them are being traded at the moment so the market is quite competitive, but after looking into it I feel the 200 is a little bit to complex for my mechanical ability. I can probably muddle thorough most stuff on a 100 series, the 200 not so much.

The good thing about Oz is that we have a great aftermarket here for all sorts of stuff and parts are pretty easy to source.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kontour posted:

The good thing about Oz is that we have a great aftermarket here for all sorts of stuff and parts are pretty easy to source.

Do you know or can link a place or give an idea for prices for a Land Cruiser truck bed? It is what is holding me and my buddy back from purchasing some Cruiser fire trucks. Haven't been able to find out if a truck bed is available.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

everdave posted:

Do you know or can link a place or give an idea for prices for a Land Cruiser truck bed? It is what is holding me and my buddy back from purchasing some Cruiser fire trucks. Haven't been able to find out if a truck bed is available.

How do you mean truck bed? Like a ute tray? What kind of set up do you want to run?

They've been used as pretty much anything you can think of in Aus including fire vehicles

Norweld make excellent gear but specialize in aluminum.

There are heaps of shops in Oz that will specialize in trays and canopies for land cruisers, it all comes down to what you want and your budget.

Kontour fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 13, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kontour posted:

How do you mean truck bed? Like a ute tray? What kind of set up do you want to run?

removing the fire equipment from the back of a 4 door cruiser and replacing it with something else. what does a "ute tray" look like?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

everdave posted:

removing the fire equipment from the back of a 4 door cruiser and replacing it with something else. what does a "ute tray" look like?

I edited my post above, but there are heaps of different styles from full canopies to the most basic tubs just depends on what you're after. I'd guess the 79 series is possibly one of the most modified vehicles in Oz at the moment.

They’re used for everything from tradesman vehicles to long distance holiday tourers, so there's bits to suit pretty well whatever you need.

You could even get a Toyota OEM tray

Kontour fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 13, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thank you Kontour!!!! Super helpful thank you!!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Great stuff getting posted; Kontour thanks for joining in! A diesel 100 would be awesome to have, especially a 105 with the solid front axle.

As much as I seriously want to buy Tremek’s 200 there has been a good development! I found my replacement on Saturday and picked it up today. The short version is ‘lol for people using stock photos on their ads, pricing it cheap relative to what’s currently out there and wow it isn’t an actual heap’.

Her name is Lucy the Cream Machine. She spent her first 20 years between two lovers in Las Vegas. It’s not about the age but the miles. There is a good amount of work to be done including some new things I never did with Laney. It begins tonight and I will of course post photos of my progress throughout.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:f5:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seriously, you can't post that without at least a teaser pic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As much as I seriously want to buy Tremek’s 200 there has been a good development! I found my replacement on Saturday and picked it up today. The short version is ‘lol for people using stock photos on their ads, pricing it cheap relative to what’s currently out there and wow it isn’t an actual heap’.

This was how I got my TJ for cheap. Sub-$6k Wranglers on Craigslist usually disappear instantly; this thing was on Cars.com with two blurry-rear end photos.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Great stuff getting posted; Kontour thanks for joining in! A diesel 100 would be awesome to have, especially a 105 with the solid front axle.

Her name is Lucy the Cream Machine.

Unfortunately for reasons Toyota never made the 105 series with a factory turbo (at least not in Oz) they used the 1HZ, which, despite being a tremendously reliable engine, couldn't pull the froth off a cappuccino. A lot of people run aftermarket turbos but the piston heads are too thin and have a nasty habit of getting holes in them if the boost is run too high. You'll never catch me even considering it as I'd much rather the reliability of an engine that was built to run a turbo.

The 1HD-FTE used in the 100s is arguably Toyotas best diesel engine ever, but it means accepting having IFS, which for me I'm happy to trade off on as I don't really do extreme wheeling.

Excitjng about the new rig, post photos soon please!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Seriously, you can't post that without at least a teaser pic.

I will post the ad. This was it. Then the normal garbage of a copy+paste all of the "features and options". Some third string looking car dealership. They had a link to a free car fax with an accident listed from like 2011 to the front of the vehicle. Airbags did not deploy and the incident reported the vehicle inoperable. So that, combined with no real photos, this being the third time listed (about a month total) and being priced more than three grand cheaper than everything comparable locally was like "run, don't bother". I emailed with a whatever attitude on Friday asking for actual photos before I drive 30 miles to go look at it. The photos revealed it was actually not horrible. The front seats are trashed and it needs a deep clean but the body appeared really good! The maintenance history between Carfax and the Lexus Drivers site showed pretty good history and maintenance but zero mention of the timing belt or water pump being serviced.

When I arrived on Saturday morning the place was packed. I was surprised how many people were at this rinky dink lot to buy cars. They had to bring it over from some overflow lot. I looked it over, it seemed too good to be true. I then started my inspection with my recently gained insight on all things 100 series. I looked for accident damage. It must have only been the bumper cover, grill, and maybe the actual bumper. The cross member holding the radiator was original. The fenders had the VIN tags and so did the hood! Everything had the original VIN tags. This frickin thing has the original Toyota windshield :vince: It wasn't washed but I could see there was definitely some blending happening but so what? Inside the engine bay I found a pretty clean looking unit and a timing belt service sticker! It was from 2017 and 30K miles ago! SCORE. There is a slight valve cover gasket leak on both sides but not as bad as what I have seen and that is about $400 to have someone fix. The coolant was nice and pink like it should, oil was honey colored and where it should be. Trans fluid smelled and looked okay. In some ways this is way better than my old one, in other ways it needs some help. The things that need help are minor, all four windows are slow, the back need help getting up. Valve covers, the rear hatch struts needed replacing. The windshield wipers at one point had rubber. Door hinges need a good cleaning and correct grease applied. All of the hard touch surface areas are in nicer shape than mine by a lot. Carpets need a deep clean, so do the seats. I ordered complete new leather front seats and will be reupholstering those when they show up (hog rings and all, heaven help me).

I am excited! and tired from working on it tonight. I will have pictures posted tomorrow showing its grime so that we can all be wowed with the transformation! Oh yeah, last thing since I am sure there are some questions; I got the thing out the door for $6900 (nice). I haggled them down $400 over the valve cover gaskets which covered their "doc fees". Taxes, title, tags, inspection - everything $6900 lmao just lmao.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Kontour posted:

Unfortunately for reasons Toyota never made the 105 series with a factory turbo (at least not in Oz) they used the 1HZ, which, despite being a tremendously reliable engine, couldn't pull the froth off a cappuccino. A lot of people run aftermarket turbos but the piston heads are too thin and have a nasty habit of getting holes in them if the boost is run too high. You'll never catch me even considering it as I'd much rather the reliability of an engine that was built to run a turbo.

The 1HD-FTE used in the 100s is arguably Toyotas best diesel engine ever, but it means accepting having IFS, which for me I'm happy to trade off on as I don't really do extreme wheeling.

Excitjng about the new rig, post photos soon please!!

My mate has a 105 with a 70 series FTE in it. With some bolt on bits it now dyno's something stupid like 220kw and 980nm of torque at all 4 wheels. But I had to put that FTE engine in it to do that.

As for 70 series beds, your best source is the UAE Everdave- All the 70's come out with full tubs on em from factory over there and get taken off to fit flat deck trays- AU delivered 70's come as a bare chassis.

And the best thing bout toyota is because they've never changed the 70 series back chassis, a tub off a 2019 VDJ79 will fit a 1988 HJ75!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Great Score! Glad you got something back that was clearly giving you a lot of joy before it was taken away.

Is the new one cheap enough you can buy your old one back for parts?

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

Ferremit posted:

My mate has a 105 with a 70 series FTE in it. With some bolt on bits it now dyno's something stupid like 220kw and 980nm of torque at all 4 wheels. But I had to put that FTE engine in it to do that.

As for 70 series beds, your best source is the UAE Everdave- All the 70's come out with full tubs on em from factory over there and get taken off to fit flat deck trays- AU delivered 70's come as a bare chassis.

And the best thing bout toyota is because they've never changed the 70 series back chassis, a tub off a 2019 VDJ79 will fit a 1988 HJ75!

How did you go fitting the FTE? Much mucking around involved?

I didn't know that about UAE tubs, very interesting.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great buy!!!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Given that the mines in Canada all use 70 series, maybe some Canadian mining supply company has beds they might sell?

Just a thought. Would probably be much cheaper than shipping one from the middle east.

Awesome new cruiser btw!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:nice:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

$6900! What a deal. Nice find. Is that the river rock green metallic color from that era? I absolutely love that color...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny you mention that color, this just popped up on my local CL

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/palm-harbor-suv-lexus-lx470/7055689117.html

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Dang thats a solid rig for the price and mileage. Nice work!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Kontour posted:

How did you go fitting the FTE? Much mucking around involved?

I didn't know that about UAE tubs, very interesting.

Wiring was a bit of a ball ache, but there are guys out there who you throw money at and they’ll splice the engine loom to the body loom.

Other than that its like Subaru LEGO. I think we had to use an engine leg from the 1HZ and that was it really. There soooo much info out there bout it, but unfortunately the ease of the swap means that every man and his dog are doing the swap the motors are now $10-15k for something with 300k kms on it

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Here is the update I have been so excited to share, so apologies for :words: and mucho photos.
From this past Saturday when I said I was going to buy the truck from the dealership. I gave them a $500 non-refundable deposit and told them I would be there Monday with a cashiers check for the balance. Rushed photos because my wife was getting tired of waiting around and we had a previous engagement we were going to be late for

(note the little ouchy under the right tail light and a bumper that has clearly seen use)

Maintenance never ends. I knew the rear hatch struts were blown out so it will actively try to knock you out if you open it and try to put your head underneath. Amazon Prime and $22 later I had replacement struts before I got the truck. Replacing them took exactly two brain cells.

It now will try to knock you out with the force the rear hatch opens with.

Whenever someone buys a UZJ100 and people ask "what should I do first???" the answer is always "Replace your heater T's". A reference to a T valve going into/out of the heater core. They are plastic, and turn to mush and have a tendency to fail at horrible times. They are $12 each. Should be easy to replace but the clips for the clamp are facing the wrong direction. I bought some clamp pliers from Harbor Freight for $12 which was money well spent. Turned what would have been an extremely frustrating job into a pretty easy one.

One of the T's had one side break off before I could even get the clamp off. I bought a $3 pick set from Harbor Freight as well and was able to get all pieces removed from the tube before getting them all put back together.

put back together!

Note that I discovered the one tube wasn't pushed all the way on the T and I fixed that, and repositioned one of the bottom clamps. A little coolant was lost. I bought a gallon of full concentrate red Toyota coolant. I topped up the reservoir, jacked up the front of the truck and removed the radiator cap. I started the truck and put the heat full blast to let to get up to temp and burp the system. Doesn't appear necessary but I felt good about it.

Got to work on cleaning off the Manheim auction stickers from the windows and put on fresh wiper blades front/rear. Washed the windows with Mother's glass wash.
Then I went to the Pay&Spray wash to work over the engine bay mainly and spray down the truck. I had that thing running for 29 minutes. I prepped by spraying a bit of engine degreaser on the places where the valve cover had leaked oil down. I think it will be best to get rid of that stuff before driving it through the dirt and whatev.

Here are car wash photos. Mind you it was about 30 degrees out and 11 at night.

The foam scrubber brush was used only on the wheels/tires and wheel wells
Seeing the gold emblems makes me both :argh: and :sigh: but at least I get a second shot at painting them black properly!

Here is an engine photo that needs more light, but it is so clean in there. Seriously just buy cars from the west/northwest. At 21 years old and nearing 200K miles it is outrageously clean. I am going to get some photos of the underside that will make east coasters weep openly.

EDIT: Post wash inspection I found both front upper ball joints on the upper suspension arms had torn boots. I will be ordering adjustable upper control arms from Slee today and will install ASAP. These will be good to have when I get around to installing the eventual suspension lift.

First post will be edited to show the changes.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 15, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Amazing buy and my favorite color. Awesome. So glad to see an update with pics!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks gooooooood.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Edit: NM, looked closer.

Really nice for the price.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 15, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nice!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

That looks gooooooood.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. And I'm shocked you can get them that cheap, even at that age and mileage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Soooooo..... bullbar?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

All the gx stuff is cool, but I need to buy one of those tool sets. That looks super handy!

poo poo I meant to reply to this, that set is the Wera Tool-Check Plus, it's an awesome little set. If you watch the tools thread here, or just check KC Tool every so often, you can get it for $56 with free shipping. I use it all the time on my bike, and it's small enough to fit in my tank bag.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
fuckin wild as hell there's 7 pages on SA about lexus SUV's

for good reason that white one you got is nice as hell!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mcqueen posted:

for good reason that white one you got is nice as hell!

Land Cruisers are the best is why

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Did a little project on my mates 120 series prado today. In the interest of cold beer, we made his Engel fridge solar powered.

110w panel permanantly fixed on the roof rack, feeding a Redarc PWM 20A regulator feeding the auxillary battery. Since his car is parked outdoors at home and at work, it means any time that its parked and the sun is out it will top up the aux battery. We got 5.3A out of it today, which is pretty drat good for a 110w panel and that should be more than enough to keep up since the engel draws 2.8-3.0A when running, but only runs about 20 mins out of the hour at 1 degree.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just realized yesterday that my parking spot at the garage at work has a 6'6" maximum, and my car is currently 6'2.4" according to google. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a rack if I ever want to do a lift, but I'd rather have a roof rack than a lift anyway. The dumb thing is the only thing I'd hit is the metal rod that hangs down to show you the maximum, the parts of the building that are that low are past where my spot is anyway. Maybe I could have the building manager arrange to swap my spot, but I lucked out and inherited a really nice spot so that kind of sucks to give up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Can I post 4Runners in here? I just bought a 4Runner a little while back for towing a rally car and today we got a good snow fall to put it through its paces

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

I just realized yesterday that my parking spot at the garage at work has a 6'6" maximum, and my car is currently 6'2.4" according to google. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a rack if I ever want to do a lift, but I'd rather have a roof rack than a lift anyway. The dumb thing is the only thing I'd hit is the metal rod that hangs down to show you the maximum, the parts of the building that are that low are past where my spot is anyway. Maybe I could have the building manager arrange to swap my spot, but I lucked out and inherited a really nice spot so that kind of sucks to give up.

Sounds like opportunity knocking.
https://youtu.be/87Thpad1yVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

To be fair two of the 7 pages are my postings :banjo:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Can I post 4Runners in here? I just bought a 4Runner a little while back for towing a rally car and today we got a good snow fall to put it through its paces

Welcomed and encouraged! I was seriously considering searching for a 4th gen Premium with the V8 if I wasn't able to find another 100.

This weekend found more scrubbing of the interior. I am about 75% done. I have found best results so far by using simple green at a 1:1 ratio, a soft bristle brush and occasionally I am using a bathroom scrubbing bubbles cleaner on the hard surfaces which has had great results. I borrowed an old looking ozone machine which means that it works really good and ran this thing for a while.

Bonus pic of my next door neighbors AMG Merc that wakes the devil himself each morning.

I also greased my zerk fittings on the driveline. This included the u-joints (spider joints) and slip joint shaft of the driveshaft. The service interval on these should be done every oil change. This is often overlooked and while I am not ready for an oil change I wanted to do this for peace of mind. The front u-joints are smaller than the rear and I wasn't able to fit the head of my grease gun in to get them so I need to find a smaller one that will fit and will get those two I missed later.

I also had a nice clear day and so I thought I would grab some undercarriage pics. Remember that this truck is A: 21 years old and B: has traveled down the road over 192000 miles. East coasters/rust belters prepare to :qq:

We did have a little bit of snow last week so it is a little dirtier than it was. This also confirmed that the rear diff is in fact a limited slip unit by the little sticker you can see on the pumpkin. I had read the 98-99 LX models had limited slip rears as the 98-99 Land Cruiser had a manual locking rear from the factory.