Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Said resources are in short supply, but I'm managing. Hearing some confirmation of that is sufficient and appreciated, I was just worried that maybe there was something obvious I'd overlooked.

It sounds like you did everything you could and more than many people would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think that's a pretty normal feeling for us anxiety inclined folks. if you have PM's feel free to send me one, I don't know how helpful I'll be. hopefully Chokes McGee can drop by and drop some more official and useful resources

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Consummate Professional posted:

I think that's a pretty normal feeling for us anxiety inclined folks. if you have PM's feel free to send me one, I don't know how helpful I'll be. hopefully Chokes McGee can drop by and drop some more official and useful resources

They don't, that's what the plat icon by the name means.

Shady, I'm not one who ever specialized much in cheering people up, and I'm rear end at helping, but I understand where you're at. You did what you could have reasonably expected to, especially with a moderate stranger in a foreign country and a language you don't speak. I know I can't ever loving go easy on myself for things like this, either.

It's trite, but take a hot shower and a nap/sleep, it, at least, won't hurt. Also, though it's staring into the abyss more than I'd care to admit, sometimes when you know you're being irrational because your brain is being dumb, you can weaponize the most potent part of depression, and just say I Don't Care. I know you do, and I don't mean to sound like an rear end here, but you did what you could, dude. You will do what you can again if the situation comes up, and are a good person for caring. But if all you're going to do with that care is turn it on yourself and flagellate yourself with it, sometimes an "I'm done caring for now, and I'm going to take a nap" is a better solution, and tomorrow is a new day.

Take care, man. You're a good person who did what you could, and it's worth staying around.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
No worries, I'm fine, and I'm not really looking for praise nor pity. But I did want to make sure that the effort sounded sensible and wasn't overlooking any additional steps I might have employed. Much appreciated!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Amish, you are a loving saint, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. But, no matter what you do or how you do it, you can't save everybody. You just can't. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but if you constantly put yourself in a crisis counselor position, you're eventually going to lose someone. It sucks and it's awful and it makes you wonder why you're even trying, but it's the harsh reality.

But, if you focus on the ones you couldn't help, you miss all of the others you have. They're there. You don't sit and listen to a person at the worst point of their life and try to talk them down like that if you don't have an overabundance of compassion, and that's bound to help someone. You may just not hear about it, which is the frustrating thing. You kind of fling compassion out into the universe and hope it hits something, and 99% of the time, you don't hear anything back, so you assume it's pointless.

Try to reflect on times you've lent a hand where it could've turned out very differently without you. With everything you've said, I think you can find them if you really look. And for gods' sake, find a support group. You're always welcome here. If you keep internalizing the horrors you see when people are at their lowest point, you'll implode. Believe me, I know.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Jan 12, 2020

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Said resources are in short supply, but I'm managing. Hearing some confirmation of that is sufficient and appreciated, I was just worried that maybe there was something obvious I'd overlooked.

you might have some subconscious survivors guilt too, that just drags you down

also dont isolate, it'll make you more susceptible to suicide. make more friends, and get your friends some friends. the only way we can beat back society's crush is together :sympathy::glomp:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
fwiw I was just given buttons back by LK so if you see anything off let me know so I can probate accordingly. I don’t plan on using them outside the mh thread because I don’t need that heartburn back in my life so uh maybe direct concerns outside this thread to someone else!!

generally though we shouldn’t need much of that, this place has been surprisingly self maintaining for a while now :)

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Chokes McGee posted:

fwiw I was just given buttons back by LK so if you see anything off let me know so I can probate accordingly. I don’t plan on using them outside the mh thread because I don’t need that heartburn back in my life so uh maybe direct concerns outside this thread to someone else!!

generally though we shouldn’t need much of that, this place has been surprisingly self maintaining for a while now :)

Yeah, I want to thank you yet again for this space.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Yeah, I want to thank you yet again for this space.

:patriot:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So what do you do when the therapy and pills don't do anything and every living moment, conscious and unconscious is nothing but emptiness, self-loathing and exhaustion?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

So what do you do when the therapy and pills don't do anything and every living moment, conscious and unconscious is nothing but emptiness, self-loathing and exhaustion?

some people smoke weed

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Yeah, tried that, it helps in the moment, but honestly the big problems seem to be internal. At 28 you cannot exactly do well, anything, when you aren't financially independent, have no route to being so that doesn't go through grad school and live in one of the most socially isolating urban areas you can think of, all while not being able to drive.

I am literally stuck next to Sun City because of an inability to achieve anything and it is a living hell.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I'm in the same situation and I've got some ideas, but probably none non-bannable.

It ain't worth it no more, that's for sure

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

You've provided enough I need a further explanation of what you were getting at or an edit out.

If you, yourself, are in the situation/place I think you are, I urge you to seek immediate intervention.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Jan 13, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KiteAuraan posted:

In the opinion of some jerk on the internet (me), it sounds like you have resistant-treatment depression. I would talk to your p-doc as soon as possible to let him/her know whatever they've got you on isn't working. There's a wide wide world of different types of meds out there, and it's not nearly as simple as "here's an SSRI, gl hf." (I mean, I don't know if that's what they're doing, it's just an exaggerated example.)

As far as therapy goes, if you haven't mentioned therapy isn't working with your therapist, you should probably do so. S/he can either change their strategy or help you find someone you connect better with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
never mind

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:thunk:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Get different pills for real. I had to jump around a bit in order to get things kosher, and I'm still dealing with some issues. There's little stuff you can do like a bit of exercise or changing your diet that might help. I personally would advise a change of meds followed by some amount of hedonistic pleasure (food/sex/meditation/whatever), just don't go overboard obviously.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

You've provided enough I need a further explanation of what you were getting at or an edit out.

If you, yourself, are in the situation/place I think you are, I urge you to seek immediate intervention.

You want me to suffer longer. Got it. I'm twenty+ years into seeking help, don't insult me. The intervention I need is a loving paycheque.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I said something unkind.

Chunderbucket posted:

You want me to suffer longer. Got it. I'm twenty+ years into seeking help, don't insult me. The intervention I need is a loving paycheque.

What is your housing and food situation?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chunderbucket posted:

chokes is good and does not want any goons to suffer please do not imply otherwise

good luck though I hope you find that paycheck in a way as not soul crushing as possible

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chunderbucket posted:

Wasn't my intention. I hope you can understand, though, that we have a lot of people in here who are both sensitive to suicidal ideation and have made attempts in the past. If I misinterpreted "it ain't worth it no more," then clarification is all I was requesting. Otherwise, I ask two things:

• Please be sensitive to other people's triggers or situations and remove the language from your post.
  • If you're feeling suicidal, please reach out to someone. Multiple resources are available in the OP for this reason. It's not my intention to force you to do anything, and I think we can both agree I couldn't if I wanted to, but I'm legit concerned (as I am for all y'all).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lightning Knight posted:

I said something unkind.

I figured, was mostly trying to lighten the mood. Thanks for deescalating.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I'm no exception, I'm 9 years out of a failed attempt. At no point since then has life improved, and if anything, has only served to show I was probably right back in 2011. I can't pretend none of that has happened in good faith, triggers or not. (Why is most of my experience with PTSD being told how to have it?)

Unemployed since a contract dried up in August and nobody's interested in calling back. I can't even liquidate my poo poo on kijiji. I got -500 in my account, a maxed credit card, and student loan folks calling about a degree I didn't finish after an ex tried to drive me to suicide for leaving her.

You want me to be invisible, ban me and I'll gently caress off cos there isn't $10 more to spend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm no exception, I'm 9 years out of a failed attempt. At no point since then has life improved, and if anything, has only served to show I was probably right back in 2011. I can't pretend none of that has happened in good faith, triggers or not. (Why is most of my experience with PTSD being told how to have it?)

Unemployed since a contract dried up in August and nobody's interested in calling back. I can't even liquidate my poo poo on kijiji. I got -500 in my account, a maxed credit card, and student loan folks calling about a degree I didn't finish after an ex tried to drive me to suicide for leaving her.

You want me to be invisible, ban me and I'll gently caress off cos there isn't $10 more to spend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I can't ban you (and wouldn't anyway), but I can give you a sixer, which I just did.

We have ground rules for this thread for a reason. Please abide by them if you come back.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
For the record, being actively suicidal usually nets a six hour probe and a link to the crisis hotline. I don't know if that's the case here but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Reminder that I'm not a mental health professional by any means and I'm going to gently caress up calls like this sometimes :/

e: I'm also editing the OP to clarify rules around suicide chat. I don't want to shut it down because I'd rather you say something than just implode, but we're walking a really tricky line here.

e2: added. if anyone wants to bend my ear about this, my PMs are open. I've posted meltdown PMs publicly in the past, but anything from this thread will absolutely not be posted anywhere, regardless of what names you call me. I wouldn't do that to any of you.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jan 13, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
We're a support group, not a crisis center. I think you've handled things about as well as anyone can, so thank you.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

How disheartening to be a leftist and have to take advice from your therapist who may be a Warren supporter. If your therapist can't see Warren for the con that she is, I'd be concerned about the entire field to be honest.

kneelbeforezog has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jan 13, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

kneelbeforezog posted:

How disheartening to be a leftist and have to take advice from your therapist who may be a Warren supporter. If your therapist can't see Warren for the con that she is, I'd be concerned about the entire field to be honest.

most therapists are trained well enough to keep their clinical world separate from their personal. to check this scream BERNIE BINCH as loud as possible in your first session and if you don’t end up in the hospital ur probably okay

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Chokes McGee posted:

most therapists are trained well enough to keep their clinical world separate from their personal. to check this scream BERNIE BINCH as loud as possible in your first session and if you don’t end up in the hospital ur probably okay

I'd the fields ability to help patients is suspect if they don't take capitalism's crushing machinations into account when therapizing. How a therapist interprets the data in the clinical world is going to be clouded by their idealization of the real world.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

my therapist is an extremely bourgeois liberal who volunteers for the Dems all the time and is deeply involved in local politics, and while I acknowledge she is not a material ally, it’s never gotten in the way of her giving me good advice and she has always seemed open to giving my very Marxist arguments a fair shake. I think I’ve even convinced her of a few things over the years

it seems to be part and parcel of finding a really well qualified psychotherapist. people with a valuable profession, often a practice of their own, and a bunch of elite degrees are almost inevitably going to have odious liberal perspectives rooted in their personal privilege and technocratic view of solution oriented policies on a personal and political level. as much as I’d love a Marxist therapist, usually libs can at least acknowledge the most psychologically damaging existential threats like global warming and help you with irrelevant depoliticized personal problems

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
my therapist seems to be pretty on the ball that the world/capitalism is crushing us all but we don't really talk politics.

that said, she said arming EMTs and fire fighters may be good and uh, I did not engage with that bad opinion

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
which brings us back to the original question: how does one find a marxist therapist

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
less flippantly: I doubt you can paint all psychologists with the same succ brush. The important thing is to find one you feel comfortable with, who respects your opinions.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
My sympathies to everyone.

kneelbeforezog posted:

Computer Touchers too! Woo! Go touchers!

Failson has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Jan 14, 2020

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Failson posted:

Computer Touchers too! Woo! Go touchers!

I've done like four of those Bernie jobs.

As for the psychologist thing. I feel like most therapists are taught to advise temperance or caution, and if there's a "We need change, but be careful!" candidate, it's Warren. It's not Klobuchar disgusting centrism, but perhaps a derivative thereof.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Jan 14, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I've done like four of those Bernie jobs.

As for the psychologist thing. I feel like most therapists are taught to advise temperance or caution, and if there's a "We need change, but be careful!" candidate, it's Warren. It's not Klobuchar disgusting centrism, but perhaps a derivative thereof.

I would be interested in their definition of "psychologist," as well. Does that include social workers and licensed therapists? If not, that's really misleading.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
There was a time when the mental health profession at large viewed gay people as unhealthy and ill by definition. The people changed it and now that view would literally cause a professional to lose their license, full loving stop, instantly. I'm extremely convinced that there will be a time when wealth addiction and rich people will be viewed as the insidious things they are and that leftist views will become the norm. Whatever people did to accomplish that first goal, do that but with this and have faith in the mental health community. And if it's important to you, bring it up to your therapist! :getin:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

which brings us back to the original question: how does one find a marxist therapist

best bet seems to be sorting therapists on psychologytoday.com with the "existentialism" tag, which at least weeds out the baptists

e: I don't think that's a mainstream tag to have so I can't vouch for what kind of therapist you'd get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

bobtheconqueror posted:

Get different pills for real. I had to jump around a bit in order to get things kosher, and I'm still dealing with some issues. There's little stuff you can do like a bit of exercise or changing your diet that might help. I personally would advise a change of meds followed by some amount of hedonistic pleasure (food/sex/meditation/whatever), just don't go overboard obviously.

I think a lot of it is cognitive at this point. The meds don't work because they don't really address the root of this episodic depression, they do work at managing other stuff. I also don't want to be on anything with even a chance of weight gain. I struggled with that all through my teen years because of two months on a med and don't want to do it again.

Chokes, the advice about therapy is good and I'll try it next appointment (whenever that is, social worker and all).