Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

May as well do a Croque Madame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks guys, <3

deedee megadoodoo posted:

May as well do a Croque Madame.

I was thinking that too, we have all the ingredients and I already make bechamel for Moussaka.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I do a "Croque Ma'am" with country ham and bacon hollandaise lol

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Maybe a Croque LGBT, Lettuce, Guac, Bacon + Tomato. Where I live is basically the English version of San Francisco so something like that would probably go down well. Donate £1 to a local pro LGBT charity for each one sold.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Raikiri posted:

Eggs Benedict but on house-made rosemary Foccacia, with serrano ham.

Oh my god :vince:

I think I need to make some rosemary foccacia now.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Raikiri posted:

Maybe a Croque LGBT, Lettuce, Guac, Bacon + Tomato. Where I live is basically the English version of San Francisco so something like that would probably go down well. Donate £1 to a local pro LGBT charity for each one sold.

What is the avo supply like there? I dunno if there's Euro sources for decent ones at a reasonable price point, but I know here in the eastern US the quality tends to be wildly inconsistent throughout the year even though you still pay through the nose for them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you want to PM me your email, I’ll send you a copy of our brunch menu and pics of some the dishes + can link you to other brunch spots here in SF. The gays love brunch, it’s a whole subset of the industry here and my old resto has a very famous one (350+ covers a day)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

People who like brunch like quiche too.
It's easy to throw a bunch of stuff into it to use up odds and ends as well. Like the frittata suggestion pair it with a salad and let 'er rip.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumposaurus posted:

People who like brunch like quiche too.
It's easy to throw a bunch of stuff into it to use up odds and ends as well. Like the frittata suggestion pair it with a salad and let 'er rip.

Don't do both though, that poo poo is overkill.

I love potato rosti with seafood at brunch, serve a few of them under a nice poached halibut with thyme and lemon, or make them a little larger and use them as the base for some smoked salmon/creme fraiche/chives/pickled onion. Or serve with that mackerel dish you have, it sounds delicious.

It might be a little too 'americanized' for you, but one of my best sellers (and a great way to use up product from the weekend) was always a hashbrown scramble. Saute up some veg of whatever tastes good, throw in some diced/pulled whatever meat you have left from the weekend (lamb or something like beef short rib work great, as well as hams or even just roasted chicken), throw in some chunky cut homefries and a hearty leafy green, toss it all together, throw it in a bowl and top it with some cheese and in the oven for a few minutes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Simple desserts go over well at brunch too.
Fresh berries with a champagne sabayon or just an assortment of sorbets is nice.
Something chocolate can't hurt either.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Don't do both though, that poo poo is overkill.

Yeah. Quiche can be done ahead of time and them reheated in an oven, so that may work better for you, or not.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

What is the avo supply like there? I dunno if there's Euro sources for decent ones at a reasonable price point, but I know here in the eastern US the quality tends to be wildly inconsistent throughout the year even though you still pay through the nose for them.

We get 18 large avocados for £22, quality is generally pretty solid from our supplier. That's about 3.2KG/7lb IIRC.

Thumposaurus posted:

Simple desserts go over well at brunch too.
Fresh berries with a champagne sabayon or just an assortment of sorbets is nice.
Something chocolate can't hurt either.

I make a limoncello sorbet and a raspberry one for our usual menu, so they can be sold for brunch too. I also have greek yogurt, nut granola, honey and fruit salad for a sweet option.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you want to PM me your email, I’ll send you a copy of our brunch menu and pics of some the dishes + can link you to other brunch spots here in SF. The gays love brunch, it’s a whole subset of the industry here and my old resto has a very famous one (350+ covers a day)

Much appreciated, will send over now.

Edit: No I won't, don't have a platinum account.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Oh my god :vince:

I think I need to make some rosemary foccacia now.

It's pretty good, I make a rosemary-infused olive oil and use that when mixing/kneading to get more flavour into it. Top with some decent sea salt and more oil plus fresh rosemary before baking.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 11, 2020

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
goddamn my feet are throbbing tonight, guess it's time for new rubber

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Me too I'm tired of danskos/sanitas falling apart. My current pair has come unattached at the toe area and is somehow wicking water through the bottom so my socks are soaked by the end of a shift.
I'm thinking about getting a pair of ariat work boots instead.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Raikiri posted:

We get 18 large avocados for £22, quality is generally pretty solid from our supplier. That's about 3.2KG/7lb IIRC.

I make a limoncello sorbet and a raspberry one for our usual menu, so they can be sold for brunch too. I also have greek yogurt, nut granola, honey and fruit salad for a sweet option.

Much appreciated, will send over now.

Edit: No I won't, don't have a platinum account.

It's pretty good, I make a rosemary-infused olive oil and use that when mixing/kneading to get more flavour into it. Top with some decent sea salt and more oil plus fresh rosemary before baking.

Ok. Google the menus for Zazie, Plow, Foreign Cinema, NOPA, Starbelly, Flore and Outerlands in SF.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Me too I'm tired of danskos/sanitas falling apart. My current pair has come unattached at the toe area and is somehow wicking water through the bottom so my socks are soaked by the end of a shift.

The MOZO line from Shoes for Crews are the best kitchen shoes I've ever owned.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My Sanitas have never fallen apart, even when I was down to one pair of work shoes. Like, 1.5yrs of 60+ hour weeks. Did you get a knockoff on accident maybe? Da skis as kitchen clogs blow, but their high heel clogs are comfy and durable enough.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The soles on the dansko and sanita both I had before this pair both cracked down the middle where it flexes after about a year. The first pair of danskos I had lasted 3 years before the leather cracked.

I tried contacting dansko and sanita both about it and never got any reply from either.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I buy a pair of sketchers once a year.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kittenmittons posted:

I buy a pair of sketchers once a year.

When I worked in a kitchen I was buying them 3x a year as I wore them out but I didn't mind because they were cheap as dirt. Normally I'd blame me wearing through them on my fat rear end but no, usually the glue on the soles would start failing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Thumposaurus posted:

Don't do boots. They act as a bucket if you spill something hot down yourself and will cook your feet. Not safe.

I spent the last couple years I was in the bakery in Shoes for Crews Froggz. Thick-soled close toed rubber clog that was safe to spray down when they got funky.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 12, 2020

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

When I worked in a kitchen I was buying them 3x a year as I wore them out but I didn't mind because they were cheap as dirt. Normally I'd blame me wearing through them on my fat rear end but no, usually the glue on the soles would start failing.

I work a mere 45 hours a week, so I can usually stretch mine out a while.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kittenmittons posted:

I work a mere 45 hours a week, so I can usually stretch mine out a while.

Do you work Dish Pit? Between doing that (because we didn't have a reliable night dishwasher) and cooking and shocking 100lb batches of rice spaghetti every night for tomorrow's bolognese (we batch made food to be served up in pre-made units to be taken home) the hot and cold water and detergents probably didn't help the glue on the soles in my case.

Especially the two times I basically boiled my foot splashing hot pasta water all over my shoe and working long enough to get the pasta into the ice water or else be stuck in the kitchen for another hour that night.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Do you work Dish Pit? Between doing that (because we didn't have a reliable night dishwasher) and cooking and shocking 100lb batches of rice spaghetti every night for tomorrow's bolognese (we batch made food to be served up in pre-made units to be taken home) the hot and cold water and detergents probably didn't help the glue on the soles in my case.

Especially the two times I basically boiled my foot splashing hot pasta water all over my shoe and working long enough to get the pasta into the ice water or else be stuck in the kitchen for another hour that night.

I did for about two years. I've been on the line for about 6 months, and it's way easier on the shoes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah it was probably the dishpit water eating the glue then.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Manuel Calavera posted:

Also don't forget that savory french toast can be done. That foccacia made me think of that.

Savory bread pudding is awesome as well

Also extra steps but semmelknuden shaped in logs, sliced thick, and fried with gravy + mushrooms + scallions + poached or soft cooked egg is a nice retake on biscuits & gravy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A random question for the workers in catering: do customers really like food stations? Aramark and all the hotel caterers I work with have been really pushing these over the past couple years, and it seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Halloween Jack posted:

A random question for the workers in catering: do customers really like food stations? Aramark and all the hotel caterers I work with have been really pushing these over the past couple years, and it seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

define “food station” pls

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A table separate from the rest of the buffet, where a chef makes omelets or tacos or carves meat to order. (I've seen some wedding caterers who just use the term to mean breaking up the buffet into multiple tables to prevent a bottleneck and encourage people to mingle. That I understand.)

Like, Aramark removed the good cheese boards from their reception menu, but added a Dim Sum Station. There is less than zero demand for that in the academic setting where I work.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
People loved them at my restaurant for private events, we do 8-9mil in private events but we are also an iconic fine dining restaurant in SF, a very foodie town. Ours are usually oysters, shell fish/sea food stations, smoked salmon station, charc/cheese/crudités or a pig carving station, tho. Not like a hof brau sort of thing.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Of the 86 weddings we did this year, I'd say at least 20% of them had a food station of some kind. Probably higher. Definitely higher if we include late night, which is very often a station of some kind. Sometimes as simple as a carving station for the proteins in a buffet, sometimes the entire dinner is all stations (mac and cheese station, slider station, flatbread station, stir fry station, taco station, s'more station, etc). But yeah, we offer them and sell a fair amount of them. They generally end up being cheaper than a plated dinner and more "fun and whimsical" and poo poo than just a straight buffet.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

A table separate from the rest of the buffet, where a chef makes omelets or tacos or carves meat to order. (I've seen some wedding caterers who just use the term to mean breaking up the buffet into multiple tables to prevent a bottleneck and encourage people to mingle. That I understand.)

Like, Aramark removed the good cheese boards from their reception menu, but added a Dim Sum Station. There is less than zero demand for that in the academic setting where I work.

Maybe it's the departments I'm more familiar with, but I can't imagine a Dim Sum Station not being the most popular at every event featuring one.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm curious, what constitutes a dim sum station? the other stations i'm familiar with all have a bit of a performative element, but i can't think of a way to do that with most traditional dim sum dishes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm curious, what constitutes a dim sum station? the other stations i'm familiar with all have a bit of a performative element, but i can't think of a way to do that with most traditional dim sum dishes

Bao cannon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm really not sure at all.

Sextro posted:

Maybe it's the departments I'm more familiar with, but I can't imagine a Dim Sum Station not being the most popular at every event featuring one.
The kind of stuff I do, it's professors and grad students who want to have cheese and wine and discuss women mosaic artists of the late Byzantine empire or whatever.

I should clarify: I used to do a lot of these events with minimal effort by having Aramark deliver antipasto and charcuterie boards. Then they took that stuff off the menu in favour of the stations. They can still do it, but you have to get a custom quote and it's a hassle. (There's still one cheese tray on the standard menu, and it's cubed cheddar and Ritz crackers.)

So it's not weird to me that a Dim Sum Station exists, it's just weird that it replaced decent cheese as a standard feature.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It seems weird to me to outsource plating cheese

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, does your university not have a cafeteria if any sort? Seems like that’s a big lost opportunity

Any local deli or cheese shop could make a nice one too, and then you have the ~~~local business~~~ aspect in your favor

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

This is the kind of innovation the restaurant industry needs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

As a former student that had to watch the school switch to aramark, yuck awful company. They probably did figure out a way to get rid of the kitchen so they could charge more for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Aramark is the internal caterer. It's dressed up as University Catering, but it's all Aramark.

pile of brown posted:

It seems weird to me to outsource plating cheese
I mean I could put together a good cheese plate myself, but I don't have an ABC license.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2020