Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

final fantasy games getting all white covers with just the logo in japan is stylish as hell

Yeah I thought the minimalism was a power move, like all you need to say is that it's a Final Fantasy game and it will sell like hotcakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay I'm finally going back to Odyssey to finish it up (even though I'm at most halfway through it at 50 hours because I got all the DLC)

JESUS gently caress how many quests does one game need???? This is bananas. I need a way to turn off the part of my brain that tries to insist that I do everything. I have been ignoring the "timed quests" since those are just procgen, but even so, Christ!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
When I first saw the poster for the Rampage movie I figured they didn't include any of the dinosaurs because they thought that was too silly. But I assumed maybe they'd have a post-credits scene or something hinting that there would be dinosaurs in a potential sequel. It was only halfway through the movie that I realized I'd gotten Rampage confused with Primal Rage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rampage was a surprisingly good flick

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I do like drafting and drafting in Magic has been fairly miserable lately

The game Bargain Quest is a new board game that features a drafting mechanic but does not have boosters you have to buy and is way easier to learn than magic

Its a hoot for a party game

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

stev posted:

I'm constantly amazed that Ubisoft is still pumping out huge expensive games. Other than AssCreed and some of the Far Cries everything they do seems to be a huge money pit without an audience.

Remember For Honor? Steep? The last ten Tom Clancy games?

The majority of their games sell extremely well outside recent bombs like Breakpoint. They've mastered the art of fast food video games that currently appeal to most people: numbers going up, huge worlds, 100+ hours of repetitive content, shallow gameplay absolutely anyone can pick up and run of the mill conservative wokeness. Also microtransactions to make your character dress pretty and drip fed live content.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

GUI posted:

The majority of their games sell extremely well outside recent bombs like Breakpoint. They've mastered the art of fast food video games that currently appeal to most people: numbers going up, huge worlds, 100+ hours of repetitive content, shallow gameplay absolutely anyone can pick up and run of the mill conservative wokeness. Also microtransactions to make your character dress pretty and drip fed live content.

They also participate in sales constantly, if you wait like a month after a Ubisoft game releases it'll probably be on sale somewhere.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Celeste is good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only UBISoft game I care about coming out this year is Assassin's Creed Ragnarok.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only UBISoft game I care about coming out this year is Watch Dogs Legion.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Kashuno posted:

Celeste is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why are you guys capitalizing the UBI?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
players with honor: hammer, horn, lance, SnS

everyone else: go home

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Celeste is GOAT

Watch Dogs and AC gonna both own

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

precision posted:

Rampage was a surprisingly good flick

The parts where the monsters rampaging were really good. Like, that might've been what kept me thinking of Primal Instinct, all the little CGI people getting owned had big those little cheering people from background of Primal Instinct energy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Now that there's a ubisoft game set it the uk they have every character be the patented sarcastic british guy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Now that there's a ubisoft game set it the uk they have every character be the patented sarcastic british guy.

They spent 10 million dollars on voice acting because they did the video game thing where they spend a ton of money to get a celebrity to do like five lines for one character, but it was every character, every single character is voiced by Simon Pegg and they paid him a hundred thousand dollars per role.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fair enough, I put about 5-6 hours into Underlords and was not having fun (I even watched video tutorials to learn how to play better) and bounced off it. I know people who are really into it but it's Not For Me

it sounds like its probably just not something youre going to be into but just want to note underlords sucks majorly which probably didnt help

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the ubisoft format of how they make their games is so ridiculously irritating to me i bounce off them immediately which is fine with me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please stop throwing dozens of feral ghouls at me Metro Exodus I can only shoot so many before my gun gets dirty :(

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
UTIsoft

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I started playing Furi again and I managed to beat The Edge without taking a hit. :toot:

Perfection is not an art, it's pure habit. We are what we repeatedly do.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 14, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

the ubisoft format of how they make their games is so ridiculously irritating to me i bounce off them immediately which is fine with me

The only thing that bothers me is just how drat many quests are in AC games now.

Like who are the people that actually want that many quests? Or am I the broke brain for being unable to resist them?

I just explored an island I hadn't been to yet and it's got like 15 quests on it!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

precision posted:

The only thing that bothers me is just how drat many quests are in AC games now.

Like who are the people that actually want that many quests? Or am I the broke brain for being unable to resist them?

I just explored an island I hadn't been to yet and it's got like 15 quests on it!

The people who buy like 3-5 games per year and want them to last through most of it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
there are also people for whom more content = more good and it doesn't really matter what it actually is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think I love the mega man series almost unreasonably.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

there are also people for whom more content = more good and it doesn't really matter what it actually is
thats the ubisoft promise

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GUI posted:

They also don't abandon their games and are willing to keep supporting them even if they had shaky launches, just look at Rainbow Six: Siege and how much that grew because Ubi didn't ditch it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Relax Or DIE posted:

That is generally true. If the game is good, why wouldn't you want more of it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

there are definitely games where there's just Too Much. the witness was one of those, for me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would perfectly happy if towers as a game mechanic ceased to exist

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
sotc enemies are kind of towers if you think about it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

sotc enemies are kind of towers if you think about it
The final colossus straight up is a living tower.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1216918055038488576

Butting in because I think this is a cute video that celebrates Tarnaza accidentally killing his girlfriend. He will never get over it and now Kirby can wear a hat modeled after her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmP4eCFR4U

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally finished the quest to find Herodatus' wife and lmao 10/10

If you finished Odyssey before the free Lost Tales DLC, go back and do them, they're pretty much all hilarious

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

There are very few games that benefit from being longer than they are imo

if anything I'd prefer that they were shorter

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 14, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I think I love the mega man series almost unreasonably.

What are your thoughts on dos megaman?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Andrast posted:

There are very few games that benefit from being longer than they are imo

if anything I'd prefer that they were shorter

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can anyone suggest a game for me? I'm on a "feelings" high after going through Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, and Hypnospace Outlaw within a couple months. Is there another recent game out there that will make me feel stuff? Preferably not actiony, but maybe actiony I dunno. I've never been a point-and-click adventure guy but after Disco Elysium who knows.

I've already played Undertale and Life is Strange, I should say. How is LA Noire? I liked doing the cases in the VR edition but I've never played the main game.