Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

This one makes no sense because apparently Sandi is already a model, so you'd imagine it'd be easier just to get her to pose instead of photoshop her head on some clip art.

But I mean standing there does taking some acting... so maybe that's why.

I like the zoom>enhance edit someone here did with the Cardasian neck because the proportions were so stupid

e: zoom>enhancetaxxe: it's colored pencil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

The Titanic *commits*.

rm -rf the_titanic

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Someone must have images Sandi posing with the cardboard cutout.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

stingtwo posted:

Someone must have images Sandi posing with the cardboard cutout.

That would be a recursive divide by zero optical illusion nightmare trying to pick the real Sandi.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sandi is basically the low rent Olivia Munn, with orders of magnitude less charisma and acting ability.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 14, 2020

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Man, I have a photo of Milford sound taken from about ten feet away from that second shot.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Chris and Erin decided weeks before CitCon 2016 that they weren’t going to show Squadron at the event. They started filming “The Road to CitizenConweeks ahead of time because they knew they’d be pulling it last minute, and that doing so would infuriate backers, many of whom expected the game was releasing by Christmas. (”Answer The Call: 2016”, the trailer said.)

The whole thing was designed to guilt trip backers into regret about their own disappointment and anger. It was like no other video they’d ever released before, probably filmed and edited by the same sort of boutique shop that Red Bull Media House farmed our their Levels advertorial to.

It was just another snowjob, and it worked like a charm.

The level of effort for mind loving and psycotrash spin and PR these fuckers get to just to fake it and keep up appearances is just astounding. I mean, most companies use a level of spin in all their marketing, but these guys go well over and beyond. Backers money well spent. If they just applied the same amount of work and energy in producing an actual game we would probably have something playable and released by now.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 14, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

The level of effort for mind loving and psycotrash spin and PR these fuckers get to just to fake it and keep up appearances is just astounding. I mean, most companies use a level of spin in all their marketing, but these guys go well over and beyond. Backers money well spent. If they just applied the same amount of work and energy in producing an actual game we would probably have something playable and released by now.

All the work and energy in the world won't help if you're completely unqualified for what you're aiming for.

They are good at extracting money from dumb nerds. That's pretty much the extent of their expertise.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm saying is that, once Chris said that he would be in charge, they project was already doomed to fail.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

What I'm saying is that, once Chris said that he would be in charge, they project was already doomed to fail.

Fidelity tho

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
That APPLICATION TO FILE UNDER SEAL doc is available on courtlistener now.

I imagine it’s pretty generic, but the reason given for the redaction is:

quote:

because it “contains proprietary and previously undisclosed information about the development, processes, and intellectual property, including source code, of one of CIG’s most valuable assets, its video game Squadron 42.”

quote:

Compelling reasons to seal a court record exist when that record “might be used . . . as sources of business information that might harm a litigant’s competitive standing.”

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, imagine what would happen if those hacks at Rockstar got a peek into how game development really works.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

These people can't spot trajectory to save their lives. If they really cared about a space game they'd have hung Chris out to dry after 3 years.

It's like Chris started 30 miles from the north pole, promised to take people there, then promptly started traveling south. Backers didn't bitch, and Chris got farther and farther away from his goal. The spin was "well the earth is a sphere, eventually this path will take us to the north pole, be patient, you obviously don't know anything about sphere development." Then once his dumb rear end hit the south pole, he started digging. Instead of bailing, backers defended this too. "Obviously going through the earth is a more direct path than the extra miles across a curved surface, you obviously don't understand tunneling development." Now Chris is scratching his rear end, digging tunnels all over the world, going in circles, retracing his steps, and he's long forgotten what his original promise was.

When he runs out of money, he'll declare the place he's standing to be the destination, and backers will claim it's where they wanted to go all along.

They don't care about a game. They care about trusting someone they incorrectly view as a "renegade success against the system," a system their gaming-conspiracy-theory-addled minds have largely created out of whole cloth, never realizing that the power over these "unstoppable" corporations was in their wallets all along. And in the ultimate irony, those exact wallets, and that exact power, built a criminal company whose exploits far surpassed the worst excesses of the companies they so fervently claimed they despised.

:golfclap: :five: :golfclap:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone refresh my memory, which ship was under suspicion of ripping off Prometheus bridge ( https://ilikeinterfaces.com/2015/11/20/cockpit-ui-prometheus/ )? I think it was Polaris ( ), but not 100 % sure and I am not spending the day browsing SC imaginary friends cockpits and bridges.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Polaris was originally designed by a pedo who’s currently serving jailtime.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did they? The current roadmap shows none of the missions having completed the greybox step as of last update. So I'm guessing they reverted all that work at some point?

Believing in Ben's word or in the fake roadmap is a hard choice.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oof

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Regarding the discussion from the last couple of pages in regard to the "Road to CitizenCon"-bullshit.

Remember that CIG showed an unfinished battlefield clone which no-one asked for, which they spent eight months development time on, during last CitCon, where the "lucky" CIG-paid streamers that got to try it out had nothing better to say than "it's fun, but it needs some more polish", which means "it's unfinished poo poo". They decided to show this!

So I can't entertain the thought that they had a 60, 70 or even 80% finished vertical slice of SQ42, which they would have either shown prerecorded or played on rails anyway, when they came to the conclusion "that's not good enough".

"That's not good enough for our esteemed backers and whales" never was a concideration at CIG. They release completely broken stuff regularly, show demos which even they can't keep from crashing and burning.

CIG shows everything they have, in any functional or disfunctional state that it's in, to reak in more money. I agree with other that - at least to me - the conclusion is that there is no SQ42 at the moment, and there also wasn't any in 2016. They might have outsourced some "vertical slice" which didn't come back in time.

That spinning asset youtube clip from couple of weeks ago is a pretty good indication that they don't hesitate to show even the most basic stuff as "progress" and "proof that everything is okay and coming along".

I'd love to read those redacted sections in the latest court documents.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

tuo posted:

Stop trying to harm CIG’s competitive standing!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Oh, I leave that to CIG!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Its not Alphhhhaaaaa

I know this is pretty common knowledge, but always fun to have another alpha definition:

quote:

The terms “Alpha” and “Beta” are probably the most commonly misused/misunderstood terms by players, mostly because of video game marketing departments. These terms have essentially become marketing terms that aren’t anywhere close to internal Alpha and Beta milestone requirements, setting weirdly unrealistic expectations in the public.

quote:

When a project goes “Alpha”, it means that the production phase is finished. The project is dubbed “content-complete” and “feature-complete”, meaning that no more content or features are allowed to be added to the game. When a game goes to Alpha, we set our sights on fixing bugs and polishing the game experience. The more bugs we have to fix, the less we get to polish. The term “content-complete” also means that artists and designers are barred from adding or adjusting content/assets anymore - they are only allowed to make changes if the producers approve the change, which usually requires a specific bug that must be deemed important enough to make the change.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Can't complain that it's "still in alpha" all these years later when it never reached alpha to begin with

*blackguytappingforehead.jpg*

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

That APPLICATION TO FILE UNDER SEAL doc is available on courtlistener now.

I imagine it’s pretty generic, but the reason given for the redaction is:

> source code, of one of CIG’s most valuable assets, its video game Squadron 42

One of CIGs most vauable assets is a game that doesn't exist?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Who are they trying to compete with though and on what grounds?

EA for scummiest monetization tactics?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"CIG’s source code" and "valuable asset" occupying the same sentence is a good laugh.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
PHYSICS BUG: SHIP SHAKING AFTER IMPACT WITH PLAYER MODEL

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuaveAverageAubergineStinkyCheese

quote:

WORKAROUND

Crash ship into rock, wing breaks off, shaking stops.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

"CIG’s source code" and "valuable asset" occupying the same sentence is a good laugh.

Even the verbiage on their legal documents is aimed at influencing backer behavior. CIG considers nothing else.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit:Most players have been nice to me TBH. However, just like in real life I never put myself in a situation where I can get royally screwed over. Usually I just ask someone to transport me to Grim Hex or something along that line because my crimestat prevents me from taking off. If they decide to shoot me then no harm's done.

When you get into your ship full of cargo - esp if its full of drugs - lock your door! Check for hostiles before entering!

If your ship did a flip up in the air and it's full of cargo, kill yourself (hold down backspace), wake up at a space port, get into another ship (everyone has at least two ships now), and fly back to this location again and do it yourself.

I hate to use this term, but this is not a game for carebears. There'll be nice players who are willing to help, players who don't care about your plight, and players who want to watch the world burn. Just like in real life.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen: everyone has at least two ships now

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Star Citizen: everyone has at least two ships now

Who doesn't?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm leaving EA in 6 months, but your words still hurt me.

please purchase more lootboxes so I get a good bonus this year

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Hav posted:

I think the best thing was assuming that we’d see nothing substantive from discovery *this early* and Ci!G manages to surprise and delight.

I mean, the only way this could get better is a white Bronco on the freeway; no, a balloon escapes with Chris and the only copy of the source code aboard. The balloon is shaped like Ben Lesnick.

I want to believe that CryTek's lawyers intentionally put enough "information" which wouldn't have to be redacted into the publicly available docs such that fanboys like BG and Twerk would feel compelled to respond to rekindled concerns over stuff like Lumberyard and Sq54 release. Maybe the hype train can't be stopped, but if it can be slowed just a little bit, and if enough seeds of doubt can be sown, then and only then may The Great Anvilification of Star Citizen truly commence.

"Mr. Bezos? Mr. Calder on line one."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Fidelitious posted:

I'm leaving EA in 6 months, but your words still hurt me.

please purchase more lootboxes so I get a good bonus this year

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: If your ship did a flip up in the air and it's full of cargo, kill yourself

well this is my favourite sentence ever, what about you guys?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I think you mean hubba hubba

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who doesn't?

I myself have two Idri

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Polaris was originally designed by a pedo who’s currently serving jailtime.

Dear CIG intern - please suggest a Jared fronted show about the Polaris called 'What a Load of Nonce-sence'

his nibs fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 14, 2020

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

tuo posted:

Regarding the discussion from the last couple of pages in regard to the "Road to CitizenCon"-bullshit.

Remember that CIG showed an unfinished battlefield clone which no-one asked for, which they spent eight months development time on, during last CitCon, where the "lucky" CIG-paid streamers that got to try it out had nothing better to say than "it's fun, but it needs some more polish", which means "it's unfinished poo poo". They decided to show this!

So I can't entertain the thought that they had a 60, 70 or even 80% finished vertical slice of SQ42, which they would have either shown prerecorded or played on rails anyway, when they came to the conclusion "that's not good enough".

"That's not good enough for our esteemed backers and whales" never was a concideration at CIG. They release completely broken stuff regularly, show demos which even they can't keep from crashing and burning.

CIG shows everything they have, in any functional or disfunctional state that it's in, to reak in more money. I agree with other that - at least to me - the conclusion is that there is no SQ42 at the moment, and there also wasn't any in 2016. They might have outsourced some "vertical slice" which didn't come back in time.

That spinning asset youtube clip from couple of weeks ago is a pretty good indication that they don't hesitate to show even the most basic stuff as "progress" and "proof that everything is okay and coming along".

It's because they don't stick to any idea for longer than 6 months. I mentioned in the past that they chase whatever the big game that's coming out, become so far behind that the sequel to the big game is already underway when they show it off, they go chasing the next big game and the cycle repeats.

The simplest solution to this is to gently caress off for 12-18 months, no weekly vids, no cons, no big ship sales each month, maybe a patch or 2 in that time frame at most. Just go away and work on the battlefield knockoff then show it off when you have poo poo working to a really decent quality by actual video game standards, cause good quality CIG would be on par to steam shovel ware at this point.

But they can't do that, cause any quietness would spook the backers, sales would just stop. It has to be shown as proof of progress and "yes we are working" on the game.

This battlefield mode will be released get a patch or 2 tops then never worked on again, see Star Marine the supposed "core" block of what every module was to be connected to. Then it's on to the next thing to part citizens money from their bank accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Agony Aunt posted:

> source code, of one of CIG’s most valuable assets, its video game Squadron 42

One of CIGs most vauable assets is a game that doesn't exist?

Just the illusion of sq42 got them $46M in Calders cash and allows backers to believe that eventual retail sales will fund the completion of sc proper. That's pretty loving valuable as it's the lynch pin of the entire con.