Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a good Let's Play of the original NieR? Hearing the soundtrack has made me want to check it but I'm not getting a PS3/360 for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Dark Id did a mostly SS LP, video for the cutscenes I think. It’s in the LP archive.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I assume this is addressed in-game and I’m just forgetting, but if 9s is such a threat because he inevitably keeps learning the terrible secret of space, can’t yorha just deactivate the model or lock him in a closet or something? Seems needlessly complicated to keep sending him out and then killing him every time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I figured the issue was that he was their best hacking/scout/whatever model, and him repeatedly discovering the Ancient Yorha Secret was a consequence of that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hacking is how 9S rolls, so if you try to hack him he might be able to repel it. If you build a remote deactivation switch into him he might be able to find it and turn it off before you can use it. If you compromise his abilities to make it easier to hack him or turn him off then that could affect his performance. I kind of imagine that they've previously tried stuff like this and settled on just sending an assassin along with him as the best solution

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can also just consider it the red girls being a bunch of assholes

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wasn't it that all scout units were monitored by executioners? The situation wasn't unique to 9S so it would make sense they had to come up with some sort of plan to stop scouts from going rogue.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Doesn't 9S say that scanners typically work alone?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Wasn't it that all scout units were monitored by executioners? The situation wasn't unique to 9S so it would make sense they had to come up with some sort of plan to stop scouts from going rogue.

9S is explicitly the best Scout and basically the only one ever assigned to direct combat missions for the most part. His little speech about being an advanced model isn’t idle boasting but the actual truth as far as I know, he’s the most advanced Scout model ever made and so the only one who is a consistent threat in this way. Presumably if the other ones find out they’re hunted down, but 9S is such a threat because he always finds out, his curiosity and capabilities are too great to avoid it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Doesn't 9S say that scanners typically work alone?

He does, very early on. They’re non-combat scouts and research units who go alone, learn valuable information and report back to YoRHA so the others can be sent in successfully. 9S partnership with 2B is unique.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given what you find out at the end of the game I find it is a mistake to assume Yorha is operating logically.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it makes sense, 9S's rebellious and out-of-the-box thinking is critically useful to the YoRHa throughout the game (eg in defeating the kaiju machine), but it's also the thing that means he'll inevitably learn the truth.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
How does 2B know the point at which 9S knows too much? Does 2B actually know the truth? Or does command just say "Kill 9S" and 2B beep boops and kills him without knowing why?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it makes sense, 9S's rebellious and out-of-the-box thinking is critically useful to the YoRHa throughout the game (eg in defeating the kaiju machine), but it's also the thing that means he'll inevitably learn the truth.

But Yorha don’t want to defeat the machines. Or more accurately, the beings that created Yorha don’t want them to defeat the machines. He is just another test subject created for a hosed up purpose by a bunch of assholes. Him inevitably learning the truth is some research factor by those creators, just one that got out of the hands of the creators in the end. Along the way 9S, 2B, and the rest certainly created their own purpose within the confines of their programming, and eventually exceeding it, but treating the “mission” they were given by Yorha as something Yorha itself wants is a mistake because Yorha cannot want anything. They too are just following the directions of the creators.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 13, 2020

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

central dogma posted:

How does 2B know the point at which 9S knows too much? Does 2B actually know the truth? Or does command just say "Kill 9S" and 2B beep boops and kills him without knowing why?

In the supplemental materials, it is revealed that Pod 153 rats out 9S to 2B.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Early on a shopkeeper tells me I need 5 beast hides to upgrade my sword. I killed five moose that were minding their own business and upgraded my sword and then wondered why a sword needs beast hides.

Later I met a robot who is taking care of animals, fights you to keep you from killing his animals and asks you for medicine for his animals.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Early on a shopkeeper tells me I need 5 beast hides to upgrade my sword. I killed five moose that were minding their own business and upgraded my sword and then wondered why a sword needs beast hides.

Later I met a robot who is taking care of animals, fights you to keep you from killing his animals and asks you for medicine for his animals.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Yes.....but it isn't your fault.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I got my beast hides from rear end in a top hat boar that would attack me for no reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I like that this is all set up by the side quests, like that one about the deserters who you track down and kill, and 9S is like "what did they do that was so bad" and 2B just says "don't ask questions" and you think at the time that she's just incurious and only cares about following orders, but in retrospect she must have been terrified of the consequences if he kept digging

2B has a lot of scenes that read as "Oh, 2B, you're always so serious" with a side of "Command says 'jump' you say 'how high?'" on a first run, and as "Please, please 9S. Don't make me kill you again." once you've beaten the whole game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is 9S losing everything supposed to parallel the end of Pascal’s story?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

OG Nier emulation is getting pretty good these days and there are rumblings about a remaster so I'd give it maybe 6 months to see if there's some news before watching an LP.

Its definitely not a BAD game, but the combat is very chunky, on hit knockback hilarious, and the game completely disrespects your time at a couple of spots but i'm overall glad I played it and in fact did it completely twice.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 14, 2020

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Steve Yun posted:

Is 9S losing everything supposed to parallel the end of Pascal’s story?

Route C as a whole seems to have a subtheme of everything breaking

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Route C as a whole seems to have a subtheme of everything breaking

Except, ironically, breaks.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Madmarker posted:

2B literally straddles and chokes 9S, later 9S looms over a simulacrum of a prone 2B penetrating her repeatedly over and over again. You are even told via Jackass that violence releases pleasure chemicals in YorHa units. Killing each other in sexualized ways, is definitely the closest thing to sex possible for 2B and 9S and should be interpreted as such.

Ok you're right, I forgot about the Jackass thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Update: the reward for bringing animal medicine is that the animal caretaker robot gives you five beast hides anyways. HE is the rear end in a top hat.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Update: the reward for bringing animal medicine is that the animal caretaker robot gives you five beast hides anyways. HE is the rear end in a top hat.

Those were ethically sourced from beasts who died of natural causes.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I had almost all of the weapons but I never found anything that works better than the iron fuckin pipe. a rusty one at that.

weapon stories were really cool overall

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Steve Yun posted:

I’m watching a bunch of youtubes analyzing the story and expanding on the various philosophies being lampooned. However I haven’t seen any picking apart the relationship between 2B, 9S and A2. Are there any?

I've written about this a whole bunch but let me try to condense it.
9S and 2B are mutually abusive, partially from circumstance, and partially because of android psychology. As Jackass mentions, androids experience something akin to sexual love through combat. Their combat is also how they define themselves at this point, since they're trapped in a neverending war that remains the last thing that gives them purpose. The interpolation of sex/love and violence can be seen all over the place, such as the "Romeos and Juliets" play (itself foreshadowing the battle between 9S and the 2B clones), the Machine Lifeform orgy in the desert that gives birth to Adam, whose first experience is violence, and Adam's own musings on humans' propensity to "love and kill in equal measure". The ambiguity of the infamous "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B" line - namely, whether he said "gently caress" or "kill" - is precisely the point, because both could be true, as suggested by android psychology and the later revelations of 9S's true relationship with her.
We know that 2B has killed 9S several times. We know that 9S has nobody else in the world because nobody actually calls him "Nines". We know that 2B's "emotions are prohibited" admonishments have more to do with distancing herself from 9S than actually following YoRHa protocol (otherwise, she should be chastising 6O for this constantly). But we also see that they do have a genuine affection for one another, if only because they're united in a bond of perpetual betrayal, suffering, and death. 9S implicitly figures this out over the course of the game, but he's a master of willful delusion, so he continues to idealize 2B. He does so tenfold after her death. Even when it's just a dead 2B clone, he picks up her hand and forces her to stroke his face affectionately, projecting the compassion he wishes to receive in turn, even if it's against her will or nature. Then he rips off her arm and fastens it to himself, unable to let go of her even as the logic virus destroys him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vC0_ZzKzk
This is where A2 comes in. A2 is 9S's convenient resolution to his conflicting feelings of love and bitter hate. As 2B's archetype, she is both 2B and (Not) 2B. He can pour all of his pent-up hatred from their relationship onto her, and all the hatred from his lot in life onto the Machines. All the while A2 struggles to come to terms with her own grief. She ends up going the opposite direction of 9S - instead of being aggressive and vengeful, as both her playstyle and backstory characterize her, she learns mercy and grace. First from Pascal, and then in her fight with the Red Girls, where nonaggression wins the day. Finally, in Ending C, she sacrifices herself for 9S's sake. But even more interesting is Ending D, where her hesitancy to kill him leads to her own demise, followed swiftly by him tripping and impaling himself on 2B's sword. Even dead, 2B managed to finish her mission, thanks to 9S's self-destructive behavior. This scene basically embodies the troubled relationship between all three of them, and it's little wonder why Yoko Taro referred to it as 9S and A2's "love scene" during an interview.

Steve Yun posted:

Is 9S losing everything supposed to parallel the end of Pascal's story?
Partially. His spiral into madness is a microcosm of the existential dread that both androids and machines feel. Since the core programming of androids involves loving humans (a function that they presumably couldn't alter in any later models, because any civilization building an artificial servant race with immense combat capabilities would likely include this failsafe), they are forever doomed to be in violation of their primary function. Similarly, the Machines can't actually achieve their goal, since they would be in violation of "eliminating the enemy" if there were no more enemies. So the solution to this existential quandary that both sides came to involved extending the war indefinitely. But as the Machines in the desert said, "This cannot continue" (compare to the Popola's "NO ONE STOPS", which appears in both games). As 9S loses everything, the Red Girls (real name N2) use him as a guinea pig to simulate just how maddening the situation is going to get once all the lies and pretenses behind the war are stripped away.
That's when they come up with an alternate solution: send their children into space, far away from the war. They intend to do this by separating their souls (software, as hinted at by the Soul Box) from their meat (hardware, as hinted at by the Meat Box) and thus resolving their relationship with God (their reason for existence, as hinted at by the God Box). This is also why the Machine servers are collecting data on Project Gestalt - in their simulation of humanity, they intend to replicate the process which effectively ended it by separating their souls. The fact that N2 is said to be based on the data of a specific human gives us context for what "N2" actually stands for:
First, it's a pun on "ne-two-rk". Secondly, it's a simulation to create Nier 2 (or rather, Shadowlord 2). And finally, as the core of an AI network that's been dictating the events of the conflict, it standards for... Nier 2, as in Nier: Automata. There's a reason why the final boss is the credits - the idea is that you're effectively breaking the game's programming to write the androids a new ending.
And with the war over and the androids revived with all of their memories, given a second chance at life, they will have to find a purpose for themselves. The existential dread is still there. But 2B, 9S, and A2 no longer have any reason to kill one another, and they've all grown as people. Another chance at life, under these new circumstances, may just give them the opportunity to truly love.

This game is so loving good it should be illegal.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 14, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nice.

I did appreciate that A2 cut her hair like 2B after killing her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay Batman riddle me this

Whats the symbolism of access points looking like vending machines

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's implied (if not outright stated at some point) that fast travel just transports your consciousness to another 2B body that's comatose in the fast travel point. It's another little joke about how android life is a disposable commodity.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Military Industrial Complex turning war into consumerism. But also ultimately despite all the talk of YoRHA being elites, they're treated as expendables. The flight machines are more valuable to their organization than any individual android, such that they're literally mass produced in vending machines to have pointless personalities and appearances printed over mass produced dolls.

Party Boat posted:

It's implied (if not outright stated at some point) that fast travel just transports your consciousness to another 2B body that's comatose in the fast travel point. It's another little joke about how android life is a disposable commodity.

This but it isn't even a 2B body, it's just a generic featureless android muscle doll that's then given a layer of skin and clothes based on 2B's personal consciousness data. YoRHA androids actually look like those featureless corpses that players leave behind or are used as scene dressing in a few locations. They're most notable in the lead up to Adam's birth, or during the fight against Beauvoir.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 14, 2020

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Steve Yun posted:

Vending machines are essentially a manifestation of "convenience", both in their real world use and in game as a method of data upload (saving). Yorha provides the access points and so provides a "convenient" answer for the question of finding meaning in meaninglessness: perpetual war against the machines. It is only when the Bunker is destroyed that the access points' functionality become meaningless in the same way that Yorha's answer becomes meaningless to the cast of characters. It is then that the search for the real answer begins.

I'm ignoring the fact that access points are still useful for transport but that's the best I can do.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 14, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lord_Magmar posted:

This but it isn't even a 2B body, it's just a generic featureless android muscle doll that's then given a layer of skin and clothes based on 2B's personal consciousness data. YoRHA androids actually look like those featureless corpses that players leave behind or are used as scene dressing in a few locations. They're most notable in the lead up to Adam's birth, or during the fight against Beauvoir.

I completely overlooked this, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man, this is all a real mind bender.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love this game and have played through it multiple times. But I’ll admit, I never picked up on the fact that 2B and 9S have gone through this murder cycle more than the couple times we see in the game. Is that specifically stated anywhere? I understand 2Bs true mission and designation, but what tells us they’ve even worked together before that initial Goliath fight?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

I love this game and have played through it multiple times. But I’ll admit, I never picked up on the fact that 2B and 9S have gone through this murder cycle more than the couple times we see in the game. Is that specifically stated anywhere? I understand 2Bs true mission and designation, but what tells us they’ve even worked together before that initial Goliath fight?

The answer is in game it's straight up implied by how 2B reacts to the Goliath Fight ending and having to kill 9S that she's done this a few times, we also later see her memories which show a lot more history than the game accounts for, and there's stuff with 9S that also implies he's subconsciously aware of the cycle because of self-hacking. Lastly extra-content from stories and the theatrical performance spell it out, 2B's had to kill 9S over 200 times in total or something close, and it wears her down like the weight of the world, basically all the first time meeting stuff is for 9S benefit and the Commander and both Operators are actually aware of this and help to hide it, although nobody but the Commander and 2B/E know her true purpose.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AlternateNu posted:

When in endings A and B 2B kills 9S she comments on it happening again and again; at the time that reads like a comment on the nature of the war and the loss of comrades in general, but knowing what 2B's real purpose is, that 9S's realisation is considered a matter of "when" rather than "if", and her general demeanour towards him (especially at the start of the game) paints that image pretty clearly. I don't remember if there's any explicit confirmation in the game's dialogue, but by the end of it the subtext is obvious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This is up there with some of Dark Souls’/Bloodborne’s best visual gags

Edit: oh poo poo son

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

There's a line when the 2B/2E twist is revealed that's like "she hated to keep killing you" which is meant to tell you that that's what's been happening, but the actual line was more vague than that IIRC because I didn't understand what it was trying to say either until I read up more.