Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought P2 infected areas were much safer because it's impossible to get infected as long as your immunity meter is above zero. And when it looks kinda low, just glug a couple of tinctures that you should have about 10 bottles of at any moment, and continue about your business. Only drawers that have black stains on them should not be clicked, the rest are full of sweet sweet loot. Investing in shoes is a good idea, otherwise walking around just drains your immunity too quick for my liking. But when you have shoes+tinctures, you're kind of safe? Nothing can infect you in one shot, no rat can come out of nowhere and get you insta-hosed with one bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MiddleOne posted:

I picked Clara's ending as the Bachelor. I've got to say, I did not imagine having enough cures for all the adherents would be this easy. Aside from the poop angels who have been the bane of my existence for day 9-11*, Pathologic OG is way easier than Pathologic 2. Infected districts aren't as much of a danger, food is a lot more accessible and there's nothing quite like later challenges of the Haruspex's run.

Uh, time to die as OG Haruspex I guess.

*There were a good number of times 2-3 would at me in sequence along with the regular clouds and the stupid stupid rats.

imho the main difficulty of P1 is the tedium of walking through that town as slowly as possible. also the original bad translation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it worth playing if I've already watched the hbomb video spoiling the entire plot?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Is it worth playing if I've already watched the hbomb video spoiling the entire plot?

I would say yes after having suffered through it (third time I attempted playing it for reference).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

While he spoiled the entire plot, he of course didn't cover all of the intrigue and character drama going on in the town. Yes, play it. Or watch SulMatul's excellent LP of it. (which is what I'm doing. Note that some videos in the Bachelor playlist have awful sound quality, but if you persevere he does an excellent job showing off the game.)

Alternatively, pull up the OST and listen to that. So drat good.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

imho the main difficulty of P1 is the tedium of walking through that town as slowly as possible. also the original bad translation.

You can walk faster with diagonal move (strafe and front), it will get you at √2 speed, or 40% faster than you would by only walking forward.

This was pretty common in old FPS games, but I think it was a mostly solved problem by the time P1 came out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

You can walk faster with diagonal move (strafe and front), it will get you at √2 speed, or 40% faster than you would by only walking forward.

This was pretty common in old FPS games, but I think it was a mostly solved problem by the time P1 came out.

Even then "faster" walking in P1 is still pretty drat slow.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You think I got a gun??? All I have is a rusty knife and my bare hands to fight off these horrible people. Don't these robbers know I'm very important?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there any word on these chaps working on a new game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're going to be making Russian mobile games and use that money + whatever Game Pass money comes in to rehire people to finish Pathologic 2, so maybe in 9 years they'll make a new game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pathologic 3 looking good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tbh I'd be down for a Pathologic 2-style return to The Void, but maybe I should just give that game another shot since I never finished it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hello thread. Please don't joke about future campaigns taking too long, it's stressing me out. I want more Pathologic.
Recently had a dream that they released Changling campaign and she had an underwater maze level. That would actually be kinda fitting (well, aside from the whole steppe thing) considering how the game likes to stress you out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Don't be so negative about mobile games. Maybe they're talking about something like Knock-Knock which was far more casual but still interesting game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ohhhh I thought 2 was already complete. :\

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

precision posted:

Ohhhh I thought 2 was already complete. :\

It is and isn't. It shipped with one character route. That's a full game in and of itself. But Pathologic 1 shipped with 3 routes, and it'll be a while before P2 adds the missing two.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pathologic 1 is not a fun game but I'd say that especially with the finesse difficulty sliders, Pathologic 2 is. Travel doesn't feel nearly as much of a chore and now I've dialed Mr. Burakh in so he doesn't die of starvation as a withered husk two minutes after dinnertime, there's plenty to enjoy.

The death mechanic is particularly interesting.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
tbh if pathologic 2 is fun youre missing the point

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I would consider Pathologic 2 fun, it isn't the power fantasy most games offer nor is it relaxing, but the writing and survival are interesting and engaging enough that I'd still describe the experience as fun.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's fun in comparison to 1, it's still a miserable experience. It's the difference between being locked in a cell with nothing and being locked in a cell with a hard rock you can use to chisel a sad face into the wall

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lol if you don't usually spend tens of hours doing something you hate purely for the gamer cred.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I endured Dexter and I'd be damned if I let this game beat me.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

But this game is actually good :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ConfusedPig posted:

But this game is actually good :v:

Dexter was actually fun. :suicide:

On day 2 as the Haruspex. This certainly is... Different so far. I think I've killed more people than I did in Dankovsky's entire run. My run would probably be over already if I didn't know to spend every cent before midnight and about the grave food.

Is the meat warehouse thing a joke btw or is there actually a warehouse? I just assumed it was in P2 since I never found it so I was kinda surprised to see it's mentioned in the original too.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Dexter was actually fun. :suicide:

On day 2 as the Haruspex. This certainly is... Different so far. I think I've killed more people than I did in Dankovsky's entire run. My run would probably be over already if I didn't know to spend every cent before midnight and about the grave food.

Is the meat warehouse thing a joke btw or is there actually a warehouse? I just assumed it was in P2 since I never found it so I was kinda surprised to see it's mentioned in the original too.

in P2 there's not an actual warehouse but there is a guy sitting on a crate by the rails who will trade you for some.
in P1 I think there might be an actual warehouse? but it's really hard to find and I'm not sure

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
P2: Day 10, in the Abattoir: The game takes all your stuff, how are you supposed to get through here? It's easy enough to fistfight one of those Worms to death, but as far as I can perform it's impossible to take two at once and I can't not get two at once some ways in. Up until now the game has been tough and stressful but fair, this is bullshit. I run out of stamina sprinting past them, the halls are too tight to sneak past, so wtf?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MiddleOne posted:

brb, modding in the theme to Dexter every time you do surgery

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Evilreaver posted:

P2: Day 10, in the Abattoir: The game takes all your stuff, how are you supposed to get through here? It's easy enough to fistfight one of those Worms to death, but as far as I can perform it's impossible to take two at once and I can't not get two at once some ways in. Up until now the game has been tough and stressful but fair, this is bullshit. I run out of stamina sprinting past them, the halls are too tight to sneak past, so wtf?

It should be possible to aggro one as the other patrols off, then focus on dodging back more than punching. I got it in three tries I think.

Absolutely do not evade them.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Also, this isn't obvious, but if you pass by a kind of open area with some plague clouds and dancing herb brides, enter this area and go right, there are some herb brides standing and sitting. talk to them and after the sequence you'll get something that massively helps with the odhongs (+ some kind of quest item you need at the end of the abattoir anyway).

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

e: snip, I got an error message first time i posted and thought nothing happened :confused:

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Evilreaver posted:

Really extra spoilery:

You only need to kill the first one unarmed, and can sneak by him if necessary and come back. Stealth by holding c, and just sneak up behind him, power swing, and try to hold the stunlock as long as you can by mashing punch after the first one. Can usually drop him without taking any damage this way. Also combat in this game 1v1 is pretty easy because these guys don't correct for your backstep or strafe at all, they just whiff and you can counter attack. Just be careful because some animations have a second swing after the first. Just spot these and it gets easy to fistfight.

Once you're through this part, there will be some herb brides dancing on the left, may need to fight a second worm but i can't remember, but the same tactics will work, just be careful not to ever aggro more than 1. You'll cut open the girl that has been following you which gives you a special scalpel. This makes the rest of the guys way easier.

Make sure and kill each of the big worms. They have empty bottles that you can fill up with blood. I think 5 is the most you can leave with, and you'll need it all

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Evilreaver posted:

Honestly yeah this part sucks so hard. I get what it’s going for and there are parts of it (namely the plague voice) that I adore but Christ is it hard on the first play through. Do what everyone else is saying and get the knife from the bride. It helps a lot. And reload if you ever get jumped by a second guy. Just keep at it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pathos posted:

Honestly yeah this part sucks so hard. I get what it’s going for and there are parts of it (namely the plague voice) that I adore but Christ is it hard on the first play through. Do what everyone else is saying and get the knife from the bride. It helps a lot. And reload if you ever get jumped by a second guy. Just keep at it.
To add insult to injury, if you try playing in Russian, the plague voice is extremely shrill and distracting, so after 20+ retries, sick of it yelling the same chant at me, I had to switch to English, where it is, thankfully, just a generic evil voice.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Verviticus posted:

tbh if pathologic 2 is fun youre missing the point

Eh, I think that's not true. There's still witty and unusual dialogue, cool events happening, dream-like sequences. Still, I would also say that gameplay is fun. It's not easy, and the game loves to screw with you, but it also makes sure that failure usually gives you enough content so you don't just get a "quest failed" screen.
In some way, and I know it's a tired and easy comparison, I sorta feel the same "fun" in Dark Souls. That game does some cheap poo poo, NPCs can die if you tell them the wrong thing, you can miss a lot, and sometimes you need to repeat stuff to the point of frustration, but I feel like it's part of the charm.
I suppose some fun comes from just being amused by roleplaying a halfdead doctor running through the town in a giant coat that has a bunch of trash and a baby. You can still feel the miserable and tense experience and be creeped out by events, but I guess that's also what makes horror games fun.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
It's definitely possible to avoid hand-to-hand combat with the worms in the abattoir; I've never killed any of them barehanded. You've just got to be real careful with your sneaking to get past them. Then, as mentioned, get the blade from the herb brides and shank them in the back.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

woodenchicken posted:

To add insult to injury, if you try playing in Russian, the plague voice is extremely shrill and distracting, so after 20+ retries, sick of it yelling the same chant at me, I had to switch to English, where it is, thankfully, just a generic evil voice.

I think it's supposed to sound like an Orthodox priest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd4GQp3lZss, in the game it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8qzgWlXfA

English-speaking audience wouldn't probably get this direction so she sounds very, very different in English version. Reminds me of Fallout's Master.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

ilitarist posted:

I think it's supposed to sound like an Orthodox priest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd4GQp3lZss, in the game it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8qzgWlXfA

English-speaking audience wouldn't probably get this direction so she sounds very, very different in English version. Reminds me of Fallout's Master.

I asked this before, but is there a clip with the English version of this?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzoI-W01VJE

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Holy poo poo, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

ilitarist posted:

I think it's supposed to sound like an Orthodox priest
I know, and it's a neat little thing, just not when it's your 20th time hearing the same nonsense and it can't be muted while you're trying to Splinter Cell yourself some goddamn odongs.