Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah but are there really 35 minute cut scenes? Or was that just an exaggeration in a comedy podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah but are there really 35 minute cut scenes? Or was that just an exaggeration in a comedy podcast

I haven't played it, but I have played Metal Gear Solid 4 and 35 minutes sounds perfect reasonable for a Kojima game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Some of them are way longer than that especially once you're near the end, but it's nice to live in an era where I can just pause it and put my PS4 to sleep if I don't have the time to sit through an entire lengthy cutscene in one go. I definitely needed it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Technically you can skip all the cutscenes but why would you do that instead of mainlining the undiluted philosophy of our premier Japanese Game Daddy??

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Laterite posted:

Technically you can skip all the cutscenes but why would you do that instead of mainlining the undiluted philosophy of our premier Japanese Game Daddy??

Writing wise, it's because Kojima is not good at it. All the good written mgs, 1-3, were cowritten by Fukushima. When he left they turned even more convoluted and insane, and nobody was there to rein in kojima

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

35 minute cut scenes? That's baby stuff.
I think the ending is pretty much movie length if you count the first set of credits where you have interactivity, but can't go anywhere.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 14, 2020

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I can not get over how terrible Death Stranding sounds

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, DS probably fine, great even. I mean, I get it. Sometimes I just play GTA to drive around or do random stupid side missions. It's just funny to see the contrast between how they describe it and make it sound like a boring clusterfuck and how much they loved it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what's happened to the Superego streams on Stitcher? I just started listening to it and had access to every episode and bonus episode in one place. Now there are two Superego streams, one for Season 6, and one that's a random assortment of episodes that is far from complete.

I have Stitcher Premium, and this just occurred, like, two days ago. I was listening to Season 3 without issue on Saturday.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I just looked and that’s the way they were for a really long time because they had their own streaming stuff that they charged for (IIRC) so Stitcher only had the best ofs from the previous seasons.

Maybe when they divided out season 5 from behind the paywall they reverted to an old stream or something?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Senator Giroux posted:

I just looked and that’s the way they were for a really long time because they had their own streaming stuff that they charged for (IIRC) so Stitcher only had the best ofs from the previous seasons.

Maybe when they divided out season 5 from behind the paywall they reverted to an old stream or something?

I did some digging, and apparently the licensing for Stitcher to have all of the episodes went away over the weekend without any Stitcher user being told. Colin and other Earwolf employees have already responded on Reddit about it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It came up on this weeks Handbook, and I think gourley said they're working on bringing them back

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
The same HH was really good. Loved that PFT called their old grammatically-challenged bits “Tarzan-like patois”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"How did end up working in the soup kitchen? You're saying it's not the same thing? You didn't go to some parties?"

That killed me.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Killer Survivor bit on this week's Superego

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

All the good written mgs

An expert on writing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

If you’re following the Superego backlog news, on the latest Pistol Shrimps, Matt said the archive is available (for purchase) on the Superego website again, and looking at options for their other stuff, so I don’t know if they’re thinking of splitting from Stitcher or what.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man. Superego back catalog is like half the reason I have Stitcher Premium. I'll stick around for The Boys and the ADPPP back catalog, but I'll be way less happy about it.

Til HH goes Patreon-only, which I assume will be within 6 months. Then I'll just download the mp3 of Kiss Me I'm Patrick McMahon and say bye.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I might download everything I know I like, or assume I will like, as a backup. Stitcher is second only to howl.fm on how they embed their links luckily.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

If you’re following the Superego backlog news, on the latest Pistol Shrimps, Matt said the archive is available (for purchase) on the Superego website again, and looking at options for their other stuff, so I don’t know if they’re thinking of splitting from Stitcher or what.

I thought they stopped doing Pistol Shrimps Radio.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

on the latest Pistol Shrimps

Here's where I learn there's a new Pistol Shrimps season. Cheers.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

They did a mailbag episode back in October, but have had one every week since the new year. They still haven’t made their way through them all so I’m pretty sure there will be at least another one next week.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It makes sense all the good poo poo is leaving stitcher. That opens up more money for Conan.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I tell myself I'll cancel if HH leaves but it's still pretty cheap and the backlogs are so huge for a bunch of podcasts I still want to listen to

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How come they don't try to get conan in on the stitcher thing

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Great Improv4Humans today with the Joker. Especially loved the last 10 minutes or so.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

How come they don't try to get conan in on the stitcher thing

I think the show that's standup from Conan is a stitcher thing. And that Dan Carvey thing smells like something that woulda been a stitcher premium mini-series.

Chairman Capone posted:

Great Improv4Humans today with the Joker. Especially loved the last 10 minutes or so.
I really love the conceptual episodes, I love Besser's playfulness and wilingness to do something weird. Last week's i4h was great too. It's really amazing how consistently great the show is (maybe second only to HH).

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 16, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I love I4H but it feels like nobody talks about it. The concept episodes are rad and I love how much he lets the podcast shift its format, but those concept episodes always feel way too long for me. Like 20-30 minutes would be enough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got burned out on the musical episodes. Besser has good taste in music, the recordings get better in quality, but the tonal whiplash of (Sad Song) -> "Now what does (lyrics) mean?" -> (Scene), while interesting, isn't exactly always funny or what I'm in the mood for.

Now, the flat earther episode was really funny, and made me want to get back into the show. But I just always think of something else instead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some stupid rant put me off years ago and I haven't checked back.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Some stupid rant put me off years ago and I haven't checked back.

Was it a new iteration of the dog loving debate?

Don't lie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just go back through and listen to all the ones with stacked casts, they're worth it.

I'll go back and relisten to old episodes occasionally and man are the musical episodes a chore to skip through if you just want some comedy and have already heard the songs/stories/discussion. The music is usually solid on first listen though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

I tell myself I'll cancel if HH leaves but it's still pretty cheap and the backlogs are so huge for a bunch of podcasts I still want to listen to

Yeah same. Plus I've been spoiled by going ad-free, I don't know how I'd cope if I had to go back to hearing ads from every Earwolf show I listen to that isn't HH.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ManoliIsFat posted:

I think the show that's standup from Conan is a stitcher thing. And that Dan Carvey thing smells like something that woulda been a stitcher premium mini-series.

I really love the conceptual episodes, I love Besser's playfulness and wilingness to do something weird. Last week's i4h was great too. It's really amazing how consistently great the show is (maybe second only to HH).

It's impressive how well i4h continues to be after all these years. Not quite on the level of HH for me....but it's definitely one of my top weekly podcasts. Not really a fan of the musical episodes....but the conceptual episodes are always great. The Game of Thrones episodes were pretty top notch. The Mopes Trilogy are a few of the best podcast episodes ever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I love I4H but it feels like nobody talks about it. The concept episodes are rad and I love how much he lets the podcast shift its format, but those concept episodes always feel way too long for me. Like 20-30 minutes would be enough.

That's kind of what the Joker one does. The first half or so is Besser complaining to his "producer" and then explaining the format of the show to the Joker, then they have the intro music and the second half of the episode is the "actual" I4H episode with standard format.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

As a true slob I had to draw the labradorito.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1218292607895441409

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I saw Superego live today and if you get the chance, you should too. Even without the benefit of editing they’re all amazing improvisers.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I don't listen a ton anymore, but I really got a laugh at the Tall John Scheer saga.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Today's Flagrant Ones is really whacky. Very funny and silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Today's Flagrant Ones is really whacky. Very funny and silly
LOWEST SCORE WINS!