Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
The fellow one is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve been using an Airscape jar and it seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167TT94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_g2FgEbHC56RTF

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you really need a c02 escape valve? I've just been using a mason jar but I only keep about a week's worth of coffee at a time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you really need a c02 escape valve? I've just been using a mason jar but I only keep about a week's worth of coffee at a time.

I don't even when roasting my own coffee. It's not releasing enough CO2 to be a problem in a mason jar for me. Just use a jar that keeps the light out or just put it in the cupboard and don't leave it sitting exposed to air constantly and you'll probably drink it fast enough that it won't have a chance to really get stale.

Unless you're super into coffee and have the most tender of palates, in which case you should get an industrial vacuum sealer and post pictures.

E: Or you just want something that looks pretty on the counter, in which case, go nuts and buy whatever is prettiest.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just use Mason jars and keep them in the pantry.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My Airscape is a pretty blue. It lives on top of the fridge. It wasn’t particularly expensive. I don’t have the palate to tell if the CO2 valve does anything but it ain’t hurting me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I know there are nitrogen coffee infusers for the lah-dee-dah set, but would it be feasible for a container to somehow refill with nitrogen to keep the beans from deteriorating? Hasn't this thread already gone there?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You could absolutely put together something like that. The nitrogen canister for food use will set you back ~$140 at least a few years ago. The problem will be the purge and fill cycle, but I’m sure you could hook something up with a raspberry pi and some sensors. I don’t know that nitrogen is the greatest gas to behave like you want though.

CO2 would be easier and a little cheaper to get tanks, and you could buy one of the stainless pressure capable growlers with a ball lock QD and plumb it with gas lines and burp it a few times to push most of the oxygen out. You could plumb the nitrogen for that ball lock QD too, so its definitely possible.

All in, you could do it for $225 maybe? Gas refills would be cheaper too, but they still run about $30 for 20# of CO2, and a bit more for the nitrogen if I think.

Considering what some of us spend on machines, I can see someone trying this. Bonus is when you spend the money for the nitrogen, you can also put together kegs of nitro cold coffee.

Qwan
Jan 3, 2020
It's tried and tested. There are a few roasters that flush their bags with some inert gas but its expensive and :effort:. For small scale the easier solution is to store coffee in a container with as little air as possible and throw in an oxygen absorber packet. Or for virtually indefinite storage put the coffee into an airtight container with an oxygen absorber packet and freeze it. Just remember to let the coffee thaw completely before opening the container.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Recently got a nice bonus, so I decided to ditch the manual grinder and upgrade my life. Apparently I installed the hopper incorrectly on my grinder, so the grind wasn't correct the first 3 times I used it. I think I fixed it, but wondering if you guys can see if the grinds seem about right... (it was always something that I was wondering if I were getting right with a manual grinder)

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 14, 2020

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Knowing the grinder would help...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Munkaboo posted:

Knowing the grinder would help...

Duh... I'm an idiot. I purchased a Baratza Encore.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Those shots look pretty similar to what my encore produces at those settings.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Any other Nuova Siomonelli Oscar I users here? I’m about to stop shopping and get my hands dirty and start making espresso. Found a used unit on FB marketplace that appears to be in very good condition.

My wife likes milk drinks so the steam ability of any machine is a factor.

I just changed out the burr in my encore for the virtuoso burr. Very easy, it took about 30 min.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

ThirstyBuck posted:

I just changed out the burr in my encore for the virtuoso burr. Very easy, it took about 30 min.

This is the way to go man. I did this a couple years ago and recently bought a virtuoso. Couldn't tell any difference so I returned it

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Munkaboo posted:

This is the way to go man. I did this a couple years ago and recently bought a virtuoso. Couldn't tell any difference so I returned it

Can you say more about this? I've taken my encore apart before...is it as simple as buying the virtuoso burr replacement and swapping it in for the encore burr, or is there more to it?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Can you say more about this? I've taken my encore apart before...is it as simple as buying the virtuoso burr replacement and swapping it in for the encore burr, or is there more to it?

Yep - that's it. There are some videos out there on how to do it, the only tricky part is loosening the Burr

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Baratza has a full take down of the Encore on youtube. Some people have said that they were able just to knock their burr loose from the too but I wasn’t able to do that.

Both the burr and the wingnut retainer are threaded left handed. Everything else is righty tighty.

I think this is the one I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNUkChqhvc

E: for link.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 16, 2020

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

There should be more mentioning about what kind of water people are using. Coffee is almost all water and makes up half the taste. Someone using dunkin donuts coffee and a $30 brewer but with good tasting water has the guy beat thats using tap water with high end equipment and beans.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What about those of us who are using Brita filtered water and one step above Starbucks beans, huh?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

There should be more mentioning about what kind of water people are using. Coffee is almost all water and makes up half the taste. Someone using dunkin donuts coffee and a $30 brewer but with good tasting water has the guy beat thats using tap water with high end equipment and beans.

I used Third Wave Water for a time and was thrilled with the taste, but I wasn't happy with constantly having to carry home 4L bottles of distilled water, and having to buy the sachets online at something like $20 a package. It worked out to about 10 cents a coffee, but I was still annoyed with all the extra hassle and wasteful packaging.

I also tried to make my own water using epsom salts and baking soda, but it was a lot of extra work, my scale wasn't accurate enough, and I still had to keep buying tons of wasteful jugs of distilled water.

The water at my new apartment seems to be quite hard and my coffee is tasting sludgy and boring again, so I may return to using Third Wave Water in the end. Outside of a cafe setting I think it makes more sense to use prepackaged water solutions rather than going all in on an RO system and design your own water; very few cafes even do that yet.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I moved to a glacial peak in Nepal in order to get the purest water possible for my coffee, but now it’s hard to get fresh coffee in, and even worse, the altitude is messing with the boiling point of water so all my recipes are messed up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nine of Eight posted:

I moved to a glacial peak in Nepal in order to get the purest water possible for my coffee, but now it’s hard to get fresh coffee in, and even worse, the altitude is messing with the boiling point of water so all my recipes are messed up.
Yes but are you artisanally combining hydrogen and oxygen atoms by hand?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

mystes posted:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’ve debated doing my own water as well. I’ve always used my fridge filtered water but was curious what a more dialed in mineral profile could produce. I have a reverse osmosis filter system and water minerals for my beer brewing so I could do it for little cost. I’d probably just buy some kind of jug to do batches of it at a time.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I'm using a Chemex, does the grind size matter for a dark roast vs a lighter roast?

Qwan
Jan 3, 2020

mystes posted:

The science behind it is pretty straight-forward. Hard water with a lot of hydrogenbicarbonate acts as a pH buffer neutralizing acidity and if you're on the third wave trip and actually like acidity that sucks. That's not just theory, everyone will notice the difference between almost no acidity and clear acidity.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Tippecanoe posted:

The water at my new apartment seems to be quite hard and my coffee is tasting sludgy and boring again, so I may return to using Third Wave Water in the end. Outside of a cafe setting I think it makes more sense to use prepackaged water solutions rather than going all in on an RO system and design your own water; very few cafes even do that yet.

You could just buy one of those water softening pouches that they sell for espresso machine reservoirs. They only cost around $20 and last for about 6 months. Filter your tap water and pour it into a storage container with the pouch and you'll have better water for brewing, even if it's not ideal. Beats loving with RO and water additives, IMO.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

consensual poster posted:

You could just buy one of those water softening pouches that they sell for espresso machine reservoirs. They only cost around $20 and last for about 6 months. Filter your tap water and pour it into a storage container with the pouch and you'll have better water for brewing, even if it's not ideal. Beats loving with RO and water additives, IMO.

!! I have never heard of this before. Will investigate!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I use an RO system with trace mineral drops. Tastes the same as TWW packets.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Tippecanoe posted:

!! I have never heard of this before. Will investigate!

This is the one I used: https://clivecoffee.com/products/oscar-water-softening-pouch

Oddly enough, I stopped using it in my espresso machine reservoir because Portland water is already quite soft and I think it made my water too soft for espresso.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tippecanoe posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to grab a specialized de-hardening filter? They are cheaper then the general filters or bottled water.
They are pretty common in larger hard-water areas, around here the preferred brand is Brita.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gonna steal a suggestion from James Hoffman, but if you're buying from a cafe/roaster you can always bring your own jugs and ask to buy their water.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Big Taint posted:

I’ve been using an Airscape jar and it seems to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167TT94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_g2FgEbHC56RTF

I've had one of these for a few years after getting it on sale at some point. Works well.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
so on water chat, anyone have a good starter article? I've just been using Lake Michigan Water, The Best Water On Earth, Perhaps Literally?, without any real problems, but hey, if there's something else my partner could roll her eyes at (but ultimately support), that would be great?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

https://coffeeadastra.com/2018/12/16/water-for-coffee-extraction/

This seems like a pretty decent intro article, and I know the Barista Hustle has a few different water recipe and method articles that are pretty easy to find.

If you wanted to get really into it, there’s a book called Water For Coffee that comes pretty highly recommended, but it gets fairly dense into the chemistry.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

https://coffeeadastra.com/2018/12/16/water-for-coffee-extraction/

This seems like a pretty decent intro article, and I know the Barista Hustle has a few different water recipe and method articles that are pretty easy to find.

If you wanted to get really into it, there’s a book called Water For Coffee that comes pretty highly recommended, but it gets fairly dense into the chemistry.

It's also out of print, and difficult as heck to find.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello caffeine thread. I have some recipes I'm going to try that call for adding some instant coffee to the sauce. I know instant coffee is never good, but any suggestions for the better ones?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello caffeine thread. I have some recipes I'm going to try that call for adding some instant coffee to the sauce. I know instant coffee is never good, but any suggestions for the better ones?

Look for any variety that lists an ability to dissolve in cold liquids. Otherwise doesn't matter, making coffee taste any better than just "coffee" is a pretty narrow target that's pretty much impossible to reach outside of specific contexts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Tippecanoe posted:

It's also out of print, and difficult as heck to find.

Good to know!