Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Picked up a couple records from the one store in town this weekend.

The Carson one is from 1974 and has a bunch of musical performances, standup routines, sketches and other fun stuff from Carson’s first 12 years at Tonight*. There’s just one performance from Doc and the orchestra, but one is better than none. And it has the poster, still

Quebec is the Schnitzel release, i was surprised to find it amongst the Plain Recordings poo poo.

Postal Service is a gift

And this arrived in the post today - finally getting around to checking out Isobel Campbell’s solo work, it only took me 20 years

It’s really solid and I hate that the vinyl of this is kinda stupid expensive. At one point or another in the album, almost everyone from B&S plays in here.

*Much of the show’s first ten years was erased after it aired, so i’m guessing the bulk of this album’s material was from 1972-74.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

pwn posted:

And this arrived in the post today - finally getting around to checking out Isobel Campbell’s solo work, it only took me 20 years

It’s really solid and I hate that the vinyl of this is kinda stupid expensive. At one point or another in the album, almost everyone from B&S plays in here.

They reissued all of Mark Lanegans solo records but still haven't reissued his work with Isobel Campbell and it's stupid expensive on vinyl :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

Elrobot posted:

They reissued all of Mark Lanegans solo records but still haven't reissued his work with Isobel Campbell and it's stupid expensive on vinyl :(
I knew they had worked together, I have a CD single from 15-ish years ago, but I was shocked when i looked it up the other day and saw just how much they did. I was going through her stuff like, gentle waves: two lps and an ep, solo: two lps and two eps, w/ mark lanegan.... oop :pwn:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Schnitzel’s teasing a reissue of Ween’s Chocolate and Cheese. :rock:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why is everyone talking about Ween all of a sudden?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

caligulamprey posted:

Schnitzel’s teasing a reissue of Ween’s Chocolate and Cheese. :rock:

nice, i was listening to The Mollusk last night and the Plain Recordings reissue was not great, but also not as bad as Discogs says it is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ween.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

CPL593H posted:

I'd just stick with rubbing alcohol.

Be careful with sleeves with a matte/rough papery finish. There was sticker residue on my copy of Mojave 3's Excuses for Travellers that I tried to get off and the rubbing alcohol just rubbed off the cover so there is a small white spot on the (luckily) off white cover but it is was the first record I spent "a lot" on so it was a disappointment. It seems to go for a lot more now (100-200), but back then 60 seemed like an absurd amount for a record.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just remembered that Bandcamp occasionally has vinyl for sale and picked up the new toxic Holocaust and Exhumed. Comes with digital copies too so yeah this is awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fors Yard posted:

but back then 60 seemed like an absurd amount for a record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI46_zBGv1A

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Why is everyone talking about Ween all of a sudden?
Because they're weirdly bigger than they've ever been? That Spongebob bump? People just like to get super hosed up and listen to strange sounds? Who knows.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

nice, i was listening to The Mollusk last night and the Plain Recordings reissue was not great, but also not as bad as Discogs says it is.
I don't have their press of the country album but The Mollusk is definitely the best sounding Ween record they've pressed (GWS is a total mess) and it could still use a Schnitzel spit-shine.

Hell yeah, dogg.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Great now I'm gonna have Voodoo Lady stuck in my head all day.
Thanks guys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think the only time I heard a Ween song was in like 1998 when my brother borrowed that South Park CD from one of his friends.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I think the only time I heard a Ween song was in like 1998 when my brother borrowed that South Park CD from one of his friends.
Well worth your time.

...seriously though, Mourning Glory seems up yer alley

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Ween are legitimately a great band but yeah it's kind of strange how popular they still are despite it being 13 years since their last record

I see their records on occasion but man are they expensive

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’ve only listened to Z-Rock Hawaii, which I hardly remember. I was always a little put off by the Ween fan base, not that that’s a good reason to not listen to something. Now you know (FYI)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Z-Rock Hawaii is in desperate need of a repress. "The Meadow" is an all-timer.

Ween audiences are the only crowds at shows I'm comfortable in. They're chill, have access to really good drugs and they're really into arts and crafts (I usually end up leaving shows with pockets full of pins, stickers, more drugs than what I came in with, all sorts of nonsense). Just don't interact with them on the internet because the internet, as always, turns everyone into complete idiots.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

caligulamprey posted:

Well worth your time.

...seriously though, Mourning Glory seems up yer alley

If you need to watch one Ween video make it this one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

So so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvmiglUxkT8

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know it's going to sound like an exaggeration, but I actually cringed several times at him touching all those discs on the playing surface. Especially since he was going on about how valuable some of them are and then he's just manhandling them like a chimp.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh yeah. That's the stuff right there.

If anyone's in LA, there's a screening at the Egyptian and they're giving away five of the hand-poured copies, only twenty were made:

...is that a pop-up Randy Quaid in the gatefold?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Where's my Freaked blu-ray, Alex Winter?

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Where's my Freaked blu-ray, Alex Winter?

Isn't it stuck in limbo? I'm surprised the soundtrack ever made it to release, I've had a recording from the DVD of blind idiot god's title track feat Rollins for years, I'd've only bought the album for that track alone.
However they did a repress of undertow which had the title recording of freaked and a longer version as an extra.

https://www.discogs.com/Blind-Idiot-God-Undertow/release/11064279

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

caligulamprey posted:

Z-Rock Hawaii is in desperate need of a repress. "The Meadow" is an all-timer.

Ween audiences are the only crowds at shows I'm comfortable in. They're chill, have access to really good drugs and they're really into arts and crafts (I usually end up leaving shows with pockets full of pins, stickers, more drugs than what I came in with, all sorts of nonsense). Just don't interact with them on the internet because the internet, as always, turns everyone into complete idiots.

I've only seen them once but the main thing I remember the most was that there were 3 people in chicken suits. they don't have any songs about chickens other than (I guess?) "Pollo Asado" which uh is not something they're gonna play live. was a remarkably cool & freaky crowd, lotta friendly people and "wonder what the hell that guy's on"

despite being a fairly packed crowd there was a guy in a wheelchair and everyone gave him a ton of space & would occasionally hand him beers and other things. that was pretty cool.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JAMOOOL posted:

other than (I guess?) "Pollo Asado" which uh is not something they're gonna play live.
Pollo Asado was actually in rotation after the reunion and was always a one-two punch with Israel. They'd cart out a wooden podium and make it a whole bit, but Gene smashed the podium to bits when I saw them in Vegas in 2016 and they haven't played it since. I miss seeing an entire crowd of stoned idiots standing dead still chuckling like Beavis and Butt-Head, including myself.

The bigger tragedy was losing Israel, honestly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mystery Steve posted:

Isn't it stuck in limbo? I'm surprised the soundtrack ever made it to release, I've had a recording from the DVD of blind idiot god's title track feat Rollins for years, I'd've only bought the album for that track alone.
However they did a repress of undertow which had the title recording of freaked and a longer version as an extra.

https://www.discogs.com/Blind-Idiot-God-Undertow/release/11064279

Probably. It belongs to Disney now and they've openly expressed complete disinterest in any of the Fox back catalog, so at this point it'll be a miracle if it happens. They're not even lending out old Fox titles to revival theaters. If you're near any of the places showing it around now this would be the time to go because most likely this will be your last chance.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Pollo Asado was actually in rotation after the reunion and was always a one-two punch with Israel. They'd cart out a wooden podium and make it a whole bit, but Gene smashed the podium to bits when I saw them in Vegas in 2016 and they haven't played it since. I miss seeing an entire crowd of stoned idiots standing dead still chuckling like Beavis and Butt-Head, including myself.

The bigger tragedy was losing Israel, honestly.

wow, shows you what I know

when I saw them 2018 they played like half of The Pod but no Pollo Asado

still, this doesn't really explain all the chicken suits

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bandcamp just let me know that toxic Holocaust reprinted all their albums, I'm going to be poor.

Update: picked up chemistry of consciousness and an overdose of death. I'm so stoked

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 11, 2020

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/1215754188434612227?s=20

After two months, Vinyl Me Please finally publicly acknowledges they done hosed up.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/VinylMePlease/status/1215754188434612227?s=20

After two months, Vinyl Me Please finally publicly acknowledges they done hosed up.

I wonder if they have been losing customers. Once they closed the forums I kinda stopped paying attention as the guess threads were what kept me in the loop to what they were releasing. They seem to have some pretty hardcore fans but I think the major artists and labels are finally starting to see the money being made on vinyl so most these VMP releases are just an expensive variant.

In other news my LP60 finally kicked the bucket after about ten or so years so I spent the other day driving around town looking for a replacement. Finally scored a Technics SL-D2 at Mississippi Records. One of the best stores in Portland that I need to remember to hit up more often. Also, they are opening up a dedicated home audio store this month right next door to the record shop. Check them out if you are in PDX.

In more other news. New episode of my vinyl show is up for a listen. Feel this thread is more appropriate to post it in than the other DJ threads around here.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/the-far-out-in-episode-25/

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I dropped my VMP subscription when December came around because i was trying to cut costs or at least better spend the money on other releases. That was at the tip of the order problems happening, so I’m glad I got out when I did. Maybe they’ll send me twenty copies of the new Grimes album Instead of the one I preordered with the Black Friday coupon as a parting gift.

I visited my parents and raided the clearance section at the local record store. Nice to get to a shop outside of a major city.

Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance
Middle Kids - Lost Friends
Jimmy Eat World - Static Prevails
Arthur Buck (album from Joseph Arthur and Peter Buck)

All for $60

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm still subscribed to VMP because I have somehow managed to avoid any ordering/shipment issues and there have been a couple releases lately that I really wanted (I actually really like Mr. Hands by Herbie so was stoked to get that). They just announced The Roots - Phrenology coming to the Essentials track which has me stoked, but the RHH sub (my main sub) has been pretty terrible the last few months.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

I'm still subscribed to VMP because I have somehow managed to avoid any ordering/shipment issues and there have been a couple releases lately that I really wanted (I actually really like Mr. Hands by Herbie so was stoked to get that). They just announced The Roots - Phrenology coming to the Essentials track which has me stoked, but the RHH sub (my main sub) has been pretty terrible the last few months.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I did get hosed on three restocks never being fulfilled but compared to what some other people dealt with, I got off easy. I recently switched my main track from RHH to Classics because the selection had been so mediocre in recent months, but at least February's is pretty good: El P's "I'll Sleep When You're Dead."

Phrenology is still way better though. Probably my favorite Roots album, and it'll be nice to get it on vinyl without forking over an arm and a leg.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I finally got my December VMP delivery and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed I only got what I paid for.

VMP lets you rejoin for a single month/record if you've been a subscriber in the past, right?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

internet celebrity posted:

VMP lets you rejoin for a single month/record if you've been a subscriber in the past, right?

I did it when the QOTSA record was out. Not sure if it’s just a one time thing though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

internet celebrity posted:

I finally got my December VMP delivery and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed I only got what I paid for.

They got rid of it. If you were already on month-to-month you're grandfathered in, but if you dip out for a month or so and try to sign back up, the month-to-month will not be an option.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will probably never get rid of my sub because of that. Thankfully the Classics track is practically immaculate in selection and quality so that one is real easy to ride and bring in Essentials and Hip Hop in and out depending on the release.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

Ballz posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I did get hosed on three restocks never being fulfilled but compared to what some other people dealt with, I got off easy. I recently switched my main track from RHH to Classics because the selection had been so mediocre in recent months, but at least February's is pretty good: El P's "I'll Sleep When You're Dead."

Phrenology is still way better though. Probably my favorite Roots album, and it'll be nice to get it on vinyl without forking over an arm and a leg.

So I have seen Mr. hands for around $20ish in town and on discogs and the El P is getting a wide release (I assume The Roots will to). I guess I don't see the allure of paying $8-10 more AND being locked in to whatever they decide to release down the line.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

So I have seen Mr. hands for around $20ish in town and on discogs and the El P is getting a wide release (I assume The Roots will to). I guess I don't see the allure of paying $8-10 more AND being locked in to whatever they decide to release down the line.

Well the Classics track is an add-on for me so its only $23 which is pretty reasonable. I buy pretty much every Herbie record I see and haven't found this in the wild so I didn't mind grabbing this one. I can also add/drop this track whenever I feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

sporklift posted:

holy poo poo mr hands made an album?? :eyepop: