Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Steep is a good game that kinda got hosed by a sponsored person outright dying doing snow sports

"Free" is a great price for it, it's a great ~10 hour playtime or more if you're into it kind of game.

Kingdom: New Lands? Not worth the time. At least from my experience there's just always something you're frustrated by. And once invaders start showing up it only gets worse as you lose villagers/defenders which cost money to replace but they're also the source of income so you're hosed both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

OgNar posted:

While i'm sure the gameplay is completely different, For the King looks remarkably like Ylands.

That art style has a bunch of high quality environments and props available to license at very good prices.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Steep's great, go swish down some mountains. You can do events or make your own up or just chill around the place and find some spooky abandoned hotels. They're always running events and doing content updates too

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FFT posted:

Kingdom: New Lands? Not worth the time. At least from my experience there's just always something you're frustrated by. And once invaders start showing up it only gets worse as you lose villagers/defenders which cost money to replace but they're also the source of income so you're hosed both ways.
100% agreed. The only way to stably expand as far as I could tell was to ignore everything except hunters and groom the whole map to spawn rabbits that they could hunt. Hunters will become archers when night falls and enemies come out so they work double duty, and more importantly they properly retreat to your defenses when trouble starts.

Even using that strategy though the game is a loving slog and I very quickly lost my patience for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Barry Convex posted:

had them both on Steam for a while, but Darksiders I and II for free is a pretty great giveaway.

I prefer the original (it doesn't aspire to be anything more than Zelda with God of War combat, and mostly does a good job of that). the sequel is unnecessarily bloated both in terms of length and extraneous RPG elements, but it's still worth playing if you liked the original

Darksiders 3 goes back to a style closer to 1, but with methodical Dark Souls style combat where you can only dodge, not block, and you die really quickly if you get hit.

It's actually quite good and has some cool bits in it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
isthereanydeal.com keeps listing Conan Exiles as being free but it always leads to the loving dev kit.

Its got me like 3 times now over the past few months.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/conanexiles/info/

E: as far as I can tell they don't even sell Conan on EGS

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 6, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Well I now own Darksiders Warmastered and Deathfinitive on on PS4, Steam and EGS. Not to mention my Steam copies of the original builds.

THQ Nordic loving loves handing out copies of Darksiders 1 and 2. Other than the $20 I spent to get the original builds years ago I have not paid for any of the remastered ones.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
For some reason, I can't bring myself to have a game on multiple platforms, even if one of them is later offered for free. Must be PTSD from when I accidentally bought a game on GOG that I already owned on Steam.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zushio posted:

Well I now own Darksiders Warmastered and Deathfinitive on on PS4, Steam and EGS. Not to mention my Steam copies of the original builds.

THQ Nordic loving loves handing out copies of Darksiders 1 and 2. Other than the $20 I spent to get the original builds years ago I have not paid for any of the remastered ones.

And Darksiders 3 is on Game Pass. The rule of three strikes again!

Trickyblackjack posted:

For some reason, I can't bring myself to have a game on multiple platforms, even if one of them is later offered for free. Must be PTSD from when I accidentally bought a game on GOG that I already owned on Steam.

I've definitely avoided freebies if I owned the game on Steam before, but at some point I just stopped giving a poo poo. I own Jotun: Valhalla Edition 4 times now, will probably never play it and that's great. I wasted so much money as a kid on full price 8-bit games, I feel like I've deserved all these free games as an adult.

I love how these days I am spending way less money on entertainment and yet get way more content to choose from.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 6, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even if i never play the games, the devs deserve the money they get from whoever is giving it away.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Does the developer get money based on how many people download it, or just a lump sum up front? If it's the latter, than it doesn't matter whether you grab it or not.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A good poster posted:

Does the developer get money based on how many people download it, or just a lump sum up front? If it's the latter, than it doesn't matter whether you grab it or not.

Depends on the service I believe, I'm pretty sure Playstation Plus works on how many people add the game to their library but I remember Epic saying they paid upfront based on expected lost sales.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Epic have apparently replaced For The King with Sundered: Eldritch Edition as the Thursday freebie.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A beautifully hand animated Metroidvania? No complaints here.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

Epic have apparently replaced For The King with Sundered: Eldritch Edition as the Thursday freebie.

Specifically For The King is delayed, they're still going to give it away at some point.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Oh that's ok then, I was stoked to get FTK for free and it would suck if they pulled it. I can wait.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Hollandia posted:

Oh that's ok then, I was stoked to get FTK for free and it would suck if they pulled it. I can wait.

Same. It can keep on living on the wishlist.

IIRC, For The King didn't exactly have DLC but rather free updates with content, right?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/405780/Alpha_Polaris__A_Horror_Adventure_Game/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

quote:

As Turmoil Games is closing, we have now made Alpha Polaris free. The game means a lot to us and we hope people continue to enjoy it far to the future. For all that have supported us: thank you!

:smith: Now I want to send them some money...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sundered: Eldritch Edition is now up for grabs on EGS

Next week's game will be Horace

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

repiv posted:

Sundered: Eldritch Edition is now up for grabs on EGS

Next week's game will be Horace

oh drat, been wanting to play Horace for a while. Was not expecting it to go free before it appeared in Humble Bundle or on Xbox Game Pass, but I'll take it

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/headsnatchers-free-game

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
VVVVVV is now source-available. Not that most people probably care, but I don't know if it really qualifies as open source.

Assets are not included but the license directs you to snag them from the Make and Play version if you want to build from source.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
64PI-GQ2P6-JEYE - Unrailed...Third is a deleted character its a zero...last character is an H

ZWRD-DBINP-7MD3 Trailmakers... first character is gone it is a five, last is a P

VFI-VKHLA-WC8V Shadow of War... First is deleted, it's a six, fourth is deleted it is a five, last is a six.

WG86-VTY8X-4EFP...Whispers of a Machine... Last character is an H, first is deleted, it's a four.

9ZFQ-IEF5Z-RMKZ...Two point hospital... First is a seven, last is a Z

VFA2-GATWQ-WXZH...Them's Fightin Herds....(may god have mercy on your soul)...First is a 3, last is an H

Free games piled high god bless

i must compose fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 11, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

i must compose posted:

9ZFQ-IEF5Z-RMKZ...Two point hospital... First is a seven, last is a Z

Thank you, sweet baby boy.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

i must compose posted:

Shadow of War...

Thanks gift goon!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've been wanting to try out Trailmakers for awhile, thanks a bunch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thanks for whispering machine.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Someone claimed this without posting. Should have guessed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Two point has also been claimed.

I need to read harder.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

OgNar posted:

I've been wanting to try out Trailmakers for awhile, thanks a bunch.

It owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2rMUeQxKME

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Oh wow this looks like the follow up to Nuts & Bolts that I've been waiting for! Does it have a single-player campaign?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

~50 more freebies to come

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1217099878389747714

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fortnite is losing steam so they're going to have to figure out how to stand on their own two legs as that money dries up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty sure that's the idea right? Get enough people onto the platform and then you can start just using it like a normal marketplace.

Not a single one of my friends has made the jump though, so i wonder if its really working for them. Everyone just grabs the games they want, play through it, uninstall it and continues buying games from stream, with people willing to wait out the exclusivity deals. Can't fault epic for trying, though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was a theory when they launched the thing that their main userbase would be kids who play Fortnite and weren't already invested in Steam. Don't know how well that works if you're not getting them used to buying games because there's something free every week though.

But also I have no stake in Epic doing financially well so I don't care either way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They are in the data business, not the marketplace business.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've bought a couple games from epic, so it's whatever.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MZ posted:

Oh wow this looks like the follow up to Nuts & Bolts that I've been waiting for! Does it have a single-player campaign?

It does, not quite as structured as N&B but I spent about 30 hours in it regardless. Make machines to explore a large landmass across several islands and use your wacky machines to transport parts for use on future creations.

It also has a racing mode, four sandbox maps and extremely well implemented multiplayer. As someone who also adored N&B it very much scratches that itch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

MZ posted:

FYI its on sale today for $8.50.