Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jay_Zombie posted:

Stop.
Making.
Prequels.

I had a idea for a prequel VR game while reading your post.
One thing I would like to see would be the fall of Hadley's Hope.
You watch the full thing through Newt's eyes, Hardcore Henry style.
Or maybe from just an external camera view style.
Would love to see how things just went to poo poo.
Or maybe this sounds poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like a fun 15 minute short to play before a ride at an Orlando park tbh

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Still boggles my mind that a Colonial Navy vessel would only have a squad's worth of people aboard, and also the fact they decided to only send a squad.

I think it was a special favor that was called in because those vessels normally transit with a larger compliment of soldiers and materiel. At least the colonial marines handbook made that seen like the case to me, but in the colonial marines game it is clear that the ship in Aliens was a scouting party to be followed by a larger contingent of troops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mushika posted:

Just thought it appropriate.

That's some really good fire discipline by Vasquez, short bursts well placed will keep you alive a lot longer than going full auto. Gorman had one last experience-related fuckup - he left a short clip in his pistol even though he had time to put a fresh one in. And that made the difference.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Gorman had one last experience-related fuckup - he left a short clip in his pistol even though he had time to put a fresh one in. And that made the difference.

Meanwhile she tried to reload with a freshly melted leg.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wearing a T-shirt that has a chestbursting alien print and my friend called it a Predator. :sever: ?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wearing a T-shirt that has a chestbursting alien print and my friend called it a Predator. :sever: ?

I say :murder:
It's the only way to be sure.

Thinking about your t-shirt reminded me of this old Photoshop Phriday entry from years ago, when goons were making baby bibs:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Phi230 posted:

Still boggles my mind that a Colonial Navy vessel would only have a squad's worth of people aboard, and also the fact they decided to only send a squad.

They could have sent a hundred dudes, but to do what exactly?

If the poo poo is not hosed, you've just wasted a bunch of futuremoney on a wild goose chase.

If the poo poo is hosed, just gather the survivors, get out and nuke the site from the orbit. Which is what they were about to do before their dropship was brought down by an alien.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Look it costs a hundred thousand UA dollars per to cryo a marine and accelerate/decelerate his mass out to Archeron. We don't need a batallion to check out what's almost certainly a downed transmitter array."

-Some bean counter, probably.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/7NXdkOQ.mp4

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

yeeeep yep yep yepyepyep yep yep.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
If they sent a battalion it would be pretty difficult to justify Cpl. Hicks being the ranking soldier.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

yeeeep yep yep yepyepyep yep yep.

I was just picturing the scene where Dallas is crawling around in the vents, and instead of beeps, the motion detector gives off "Yeps" as the xeno gets closer, culminating with YEP YEP YEP YEP SCREEECH

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is basically my opinion. I'm a sucker for superhero movies and I think they did a good job with them. Cinematic masterpieces? No, but fun and entertaining. If they bring more people into the Alien universe then good. Maybe they'll then watch Alien and Aliens and see the true light.

The number of people I know that have watched Terminator 2 and not picked up on the anti-war messaging at all makes me doubt this conclusion

Also RE: the marine procedures and force count, it's hard to find any real holes. The only one that seems a little questionable is leaving the dropship on the ground and unprotected in spite of Ripley's warning.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 14, 2020

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prurient Squid posted:

If they sent a battalion it would be pretty difficult to justify Cpl. Hicks being the ranking soldier.

They'd also be led by a major from the Sulaco who'd probably be more than happy to drop a few kilotons on Hadley's Hope, much to the protests of Carter Burke, when they watch the recon platoon get wiped out.

Even easier if the company rep is groundside when it happens.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lil Peeler posted:

Also RE: the marine procedures and force count, it's hard to find any real holes. The only one that seems a little questionable is leaving the dropship on the ground and unprotected in spite of Ripley's warning.

I don't know if there's a source that covers what the dropship was doing in between dropping the APC off at the colony and lifting off with the stowaway alien on board, but I think there was enough time for them to be satisfied that the place was safe enough for the dropship to stay on the ground.

I think that the dropship went back to the Sulaco immediately after dropping off the APC. Spunkmeyer brings a load of equipment to Bishop when he's dissecting the facehugger, which I'm guessing was brought back down from the stores on the Sulaco; if they scavenged it from the colony itself I'd assume that any marine could have brought it, rather than a dropship crewman. I figure a good amount of time passed between the marines arriving and the dropship landing and staying, and that they had pretty good reason to assume the place was safe - at least until they saw the hive.

I'm wondering if the alien that took down the dropship was one of the ones stirred up from the hive, or if it was one that was out on the hunt ("They mostly come out at night" and all that.) There probably wasn't enough time for an alien to walk over to the colony, so I'm guessing the latter. So the creepy thing is that some aliens may have been watching and stalking them the marines the whole time after they arrived but decided that the time and place wasn't right and they didn't have the numbers to take them on. And I guess it's rude to go back and wake up the whole hive if all you need to do is wait for a few of the humans to be alone.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The dropship is parked elsewhere according to the novelisation, on a landing pad I want to say? It’s been a long time.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Phi230 posted:

Depending on how much Burke actually knew about what was actually happening at the colony (remember that that between finding the derelict and getting overrun the colonists had enough time to gather specimens and write medical reports), there's a very good chance that the minimal military presence was a deliberate decision. Makes tying up loose ends a lot simpler.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BattleMaster posted:

Spunkmeyer brings a load of equipment to Bishop when he's dissecting the facehugger, which I'm guessing was brought back down from the stores on the Sulaco;

The creepy look Bishop gives Spunkmeyer is one of my favorite moments in the movie. The first time I saw it I wondered if Bishop was going to go rogue like Ash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I also think it's heavy implied that all of the poo poo going on with Ripley and the Nostromo is fairly low on the ladder. Sure some "big people" are at Ripley's review conference, but we only really have Burke's word on that.

Ancillary and Prequel lore notwithstanding where it turns out that the smoking lady at the board is Charlize Theron's great grandniece or some poo poo, I think it's deliberate that everyone we see that isn't Ripley or a Colonist are pretending to be much bigger deals than they are. I'm going off of what appears to be vanilla Cameron text here.

So it would line up that Burke literally couldn't get a bigger military presence if he wanted too--which he probably didn't--and that it would be fairly easy to hide what was going on in the company.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also, without non-film sources, we don't know what the overall scale of operations for WY's colonization efforts are but it's entirely possible that it's just venture capitalism on an interstellar scale: Toss a few million at a rock, maybe in two decades you get a world, maybe everyone chokes to death, but it only takes a couple big winners to more than make up for the losers. If they have a couple hundred colony worlds maybe 158 people on a bleak rock merits less resources to bail out of trouble than one of them nice Covenant worlds full of lush grasslands and waterfalls and poo poo.

Hey there's one actual improvement over contemporary capitalism in the corporate owned hellscape of the 2180's: At least the colonization stuff shows that company's can think farther than the next quarterly earnings call sometimes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s the irony of how Alien/Aliens depict corporate culture - the Company’s cutthroat efforts to make every penny possible even at the cost of human suffering and death was meant to be cartoonishly evil to the point of absurdity, and there was no way real life would meet, let alone exceed, what the movies show us.

Simpler times :allears:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

That’s the irony of how Alien/Aliens depict corporate culture - the Company’s cutthroat efforts to make every penny possible even at the cost of human suffering and death was meant to be cartoonishly evil to the point of absurdity, and there was no way real life would meet, let alone exceed, what the movies show us.

Simpler times :allears:

Ha, along those lines, I've often observed that Detroit might be better off if an Evil multinational corporation were headquartered there and cared enough to undertake a massive urban renewal project that would employ millions.

So prepping some scenario ideas for my ongoing Alien TTRPG campaign, I know I can do what I want in my own story but curious-- what if anything is the "canon" answer to "does hypersleep slow/stop alien embryo development?" Would Parker's bright Idea to freeze Kane have kept the babby alien from popping?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ha, along those lines, I've often observed that Detroit might be better off if an Evil multinational corporation were headquartered there and cared enough to undertake a massive urban renewal project that would employ millions.

A... New Detroit?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

A... New Detroit?

Delta City!

*sycophantic applause from all of the junior execs*

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

So prepping some scenario ideas for my ongoing Alien TTRPG campaign, I know I can do what I want in my own story but curious-- what if anything is the "canon" answer to "does hypersleep slow/stop alien embryo development?" Would Parker's bright Idea to freeze Kane have kept the babby alien from popping?

As far as I’m aware, it would have slowed it while Kane was in cryo and then things would have resumed as normal once he woke up.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PhotoKirk posted:

A... New Detroit?

We're going to raise towers of glass and steel!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Xenomrph posted:

As far as I’m aware, it would have slowed it while Kane was in cryo and then things would have resumed as normal once he woke up.

The followup question is if hypersleep slows down the embryo development but it takes several weeks to get home, will the baby alien pop out before the everyone wakes up?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Hillary 2020 posted:

The followup question is if hypersleep slows down the embryo development but it takes several weeks to get home, will the baby alien pop out before the everyone wakes up?

Well, Ripley was in cryosleep for like what, 57 years between the events of Alien and Aliens, and she didn't hardly age at all, so I imagine that a few weeks, or even a few months or even longer is feasible.

I think that the embryo, being in cryosleep as well, would probably not be "awake" enough to burst out while the host was in cryosleep, even if it was for a long enough time to allow the embryo to mature even at it's lowered metabolic rate. But for the record I have no evidence to base the assumption that the embryo is also "sleeping", only that I would imagine that it's metabolism/development is slowed to the point where it would be in "hibernation" as well and not active enough to burst out.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 14, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My gut says “no”, and I’m not aware of it happening anywhere in any stories, but Aliens are crazy and it’s your RPG so if you want it to happen I say go nuts.

Like the conventional wisdom is that cryosleep brings your bodily functions to a standstill, but at the same time people in cryosleep have REM sleep so either the cryosleep isn’t affecting that or the human body is merely slowed a lot but isn’t fully stopped, in which case you could make the case that Alien embryo development would also be slowed but not stopped. Therefore on a long enough timescale, an embryo could pop out of a host while in cryo.

If that were the case, the question would be how much would the development be slowed - if you wanted to use real world aging as a benchmark, you could argue that Ripley visually aged 7 years in real life between Alien in 1979 and Aliens in 1986, and within the narrative 57 years had passed, so 8.14 years in cryo equals 1 year of aging in real life. Vanilla adult Alien embryo development takes about a day, so assuming you put an infected crew member in cryo right away, you could argue that you’ve bought them 8 days in cryo (someone please check my math).

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Hillary 2020 posted:

will the baby alien pop out before the everyone wakes up?

Only if it's convenient for the story. Keep that little snuggle buddy on ice as long as necessary. Maybe the baby develops while in cryo, and then pops as soon as the lid of the sleeper opens up. That would be a fun wake-up call for the other travelers.

Or maybe the xeno biology says "lol gently caress you" to hypersleep, and it bursts out after everyone is already under. Then you might have automated alerts / evac procedures like in Alien 3, depending on how much havoc the baby causes.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

My gut says “no”, and I’m not aware of it happening anywhere in any stories, but Aliens are crazy and it’s your RPG so if you want it to happen I say go nuts.

Like the conventional wisdom is that cryosleep brings your bodily functions to a standstill, but at the same time people in cryosleep have REM sleep so either the cryosleep isn’t affecting that or the human body is merely slowed a lot but isn’t fully stopped, in which case you could make the case that Alien embryo development would also be slowed but not stopped. Therefore on a long enough timescale, an embryo could pop out of a host while in cryo.

If that were the case, the question would be how much would the development be slowed - if you wanted to use real world aging as a benchmark, you could argue that Ripley visually aged 7 years in real life between Alien in 1979 and Aliens in 1986, and within the narrative 57 years had passed, so 8.14 years in cryo equals 1 year of aging in real life. Vanilla adult Alien embryo development takes about a day, so assuming you put an infected crew member in cryo right away, you could argue that you’ve bought them 8 days in cryo (someone please check my math).

Ok, so maybe the babby Alien does burst out, but it does so really, really slowly. Like instead of popping out like a nightmare jack-in-the-box, it has to slowly chew it's way out over a long period of time, because it's still in cryo and it's way, way slow because of that.

I know IRL Sigorney Weaver aged 7 years, but was it ever mentioned in cannon how much she aged while she was under? Or were they just like "Heh, you look pretty good for an octogenarian." and that was is?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Jay_Zombie posted:

I know IRL Sigorney Weaver aged 7 years, but was it ever mentioned in cannon how much she aged while she was under? Or were they just like "Heh, you look pretty good for an octogenarian." and that was is?

It's not mentioned in the movie or the novelization. I'd assume that aging is effectively stopped but maybe it's something like a build-up of toxins in your bloodstream that limits the time you can remain under. There's an implication in the movies that most space journeys are weeks or months so 57 years was quite an outlier.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Watching T2 with my gal and genuinely jealous she got to experience the reveal that Arnie was a good guy that was spoiled for me at like age 13 by the marketing campaign 6 months before the movie came out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/UKRlI25.mp4

I don't know I saw it on Imgur. :shrug:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This is how it starts.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My rewatch last night showed what a well-crafted film Cameron made back in the day because several times my gal asked me a question with the first one fresh on her mind, and it was answered in 15 seconds by the movie.
("What happened to Sarah Conner?" "Wouldn't there be evidence of the first Terminator?")

Like Literally as soon as she finished asking "What Happened to Sarah Conner?" the film cut to the establishing shot of the mental hospital exterior. :discourse:

We went for the director's cut. The big additions from the theatrical are the Reese Dream, flipping the chip switch on Arnie, and a few smaller shots towards the end showing the T-1000 was hosed up by his freezing exploding and congealing. I think they are all worthy additions, especially the chip scene which sets up a nice mother-daughter conflict where John starts coming into his own.

E: Much like after watching Aliens, After T2 I told her that was the best place to leave it.

At her request I gave a rough outline of the next 4 films and reciting brief plot synopsis out loud really puts a pin in how much the franchise turned into remixing the same 5 ingredients to make new menu items like Taco Bell. "Okay so John Conner is turned INTO a Terminator, and Sarah has to protect Kyle Reese this time!"

I did not have the heart to tell her what happens in the cold open to Dark Fate.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 15, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The CPU chip scene in T2 is even more impressive once you learn they did it without mirrors.
Linda Hamilton has a twin sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Re watching a well crafted movie is a treasure because you notice so many things. This time I realized Dyson was using a hunk of the busted up processor model as a dead man switch to blow up his dream come nightmare. Watching it years ago at 480i it just read as a random piece of debris.

And that as a sidearm when she goes to kill Dyson, Sarah uses a chromed out .45 longslide very similar to the one used to kill her namesakes in the first one. Literally trying to make herself a Terminator to do the needful.