Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

I like Riho in a vaccum but it makes her opponents look stupid selling her elbows and punches. I personally think there is a point where you can be too small for pro wrestling and as much as I like Marko he's right there too.

But then again that's all personal taste. If it's over, it's over.

I remember cringing during Bayley matches because her elbows looked like total poo poo even though I liked the rest of her stuff. There’s definitely room for criticism when people keep offense they can’t pull of well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen Riho matches in Gatoh Move where she lays in her offense a lot more, so I wonder if it's just another case where Japanese wrestlers come to the US and think they have to "work lighter" to fit in. KENTA had the same problem in WWE.

Either way, she's gotten over and AEW crowds love her, so it's clearly not that big of an issue.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 14, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Riho works a lot stiffer in Japan yeah and she did in the Double or Nothing match which was all Japanese women so I don't know if she's been told to lighten up or thinks that she has to when working in America - whatever one it is she needs to work like she does in Japan. I think she's been told since she was working lighter against Emi Sakura who she's wrestled about a million times before so she ought to not need to change anything against her, and also against Nyla Rose who has Japan experience in a company where people work stiff.

I hope that someone told her to since the image of Dustin Rhodes or whoever going to little old Riho and being like "you've got to lighten up kid" is hilarious to me. Not quite as funny as the people who've started comparing Riho to Brock Lesnar because she's a "part timer" or whatever which is an hilarious comparison to me - I've also seen people comparing her to Hulk Hogan (?) which is a baffling one but the image of Riho going "that finish doesn't work for me sister" and using her backstage pull to keep her position is incredibly funny. Who knows; maybe in a few years when she's a 20 year pro before the age of 30 she's like that!

One of the nice bits of 2020 was Riho getting over so big in the US; she's like not at all the person that I ever thought would (Hikaru Shida I thought there was no doubt) but it shows how good she is that basically everywhere she goes; it works.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Was Riho the girl getting enziguiri'd by Kenny Omega in those infamous gifs?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Riho should be booked exactly like Brock Lesnar. I want her to win title matches in 3 minutes are 5 stomps to the gut.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

nope

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rarity posted:

Riho should be booked exactly like Brock Lesnar. I want her to win title matches in 3 minutes are 5 stomps to the gut.

Give Rarity the pencil, she clearly knows what's up

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
But real talk, at the end of the day we're looking at a 22-year-old Japanese woman who doesn't speak English, and was basically unknown outside of hardcore joshi fandom, coming onto mainstream US television and getting over as a beloved babyface champion and proven ratings draw. And she did all of that without long promos or even feuds, just having good-rear end matches and connecting with crowds through pure charisma and fire.

This is a watershed moment for women's wrestling that we're not paying nearly enough attention to, because we're a bunch of dorks scrutinizing her soft strikes and part-time schedule. AEW making Riho a star is easily one of their biggest triumphs yet.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 14, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

And she did all of that without long promos or even feuds, just having good-rear end matches and connecting with crowds through pure charisma and fire.

She's also really great at top-tier nonverbal acting which goes a long way to make up for the language barrier. She easily conveys how she's feeling without having to talk. And she's only goddam 22 as well. She could easily have another 20 years on top if she wanted.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It wasn’t even like she was a major star in Japan - he wasn’t an unknown sure but she had been incredibly reluctant to leave Gatoh Move until the AEW and Stardom chances came to her and Emi was like “go; you’d be stupid not to”. With Kana, Io and Kairi they at least had runs where they were either big freelance stars or main eventers in major companies; Riho never really had that.

One thing that makes Riho unique though is that she’s been pushed basically since day 1: she was the star of that first generation of Ice Ribbon trainees; she won the Triangle Ribbon title in 2009 beating a fairly big name of the past and the person that would become Ice Ribbon ace; she won their top title in 2010 when she was 12 and while she only held it for a month that’s still big. Because of that she has the confidence that very few people her age have because she’s done a lot already and that’s a real asset for her. It’s also why she stands out and is one thing that seems to make her a legit draw especially with younger people.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

You can't make a comment like this and then not post the gif!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Redundant posted:

It's so weird that the guy who I first knew as the guy doing weird Japanese comedy matches is now one of the best wrestlers in the world

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Redundant posted:

https://youtu.be/rTizPJj23QY

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51vRjNALiVc

If you want to see Kenny teaming with a 14-year-old Riho

Rarity posted:

It's so weird that the guy who I first knew as the guy doing weird Japanese comedy matches is now one of the best wrestlers in the world

DDT is really good at developing wrestlers considering its reputation. Hopefully AEW start bringing over people like Takeshita so more people realise that Kenny and Ibushi aren't an exception.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That poor promotion, they can't even afford a wrestling ring :(

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cornette about to have a stroke

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Let's hope.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

Yeah, it's really kind of bonkers. I remember showing Kenny Omega stuff to my casual wrestling friends or non-wrestling fans for a laugh because he'd do the Hadouken, too. Crazy to think how much that's changed over the years.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
That gif is everything I dreamed it would be. And people want to tell me Kenny isn't the best!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Welllllll he did do the Hadouken on AEW programming (Fyter Fest I think), so maybe he hasn’t changed THAT much. He’s still a weird freaking nerd and that’s part of the appeal

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

extradite THIS! posted:

Welllllll he did do the Hadouken on AEW programming (Fyter Fest I think), so maybe he hasn’t changed THAT much. He’s still a weird freaking nerd and that’s part of the appeal

Oh yeah, I don't think Kenny has probably changed all that much personally, just his place in wrestling. Going from doing a Hadouken in comedy matches and in the forest or whatever to doing it in great (mostly serious) matches.

Speaking of his nerdiness, though, I wonder if he'll top his Toad costume from last year for the Jericho cruise this year.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think Kenny has probably changed all that much personally, just his place in wrestling. Going from doing a Hadouken in comedy matches and in the forest or whatever to doing it in great (mostly serious) matches.

Speaking of his nerdiness, though, I wonder if he'll top his Toad costume from last year for the Jericho cruise this year.

I kinda want him to bring back the Princess Jasmine costume, honestly.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i don't think he changed as much as Gedo wouldn't allow him to do silly poo poo 24/7 and it got him over

I'm sure if he thought he could get away with it on American TV, he'd go full DDT again because that seems to be what he enjoys most.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When Kenny started getting hype in the aughts I remember him being a lot closer to a moves guy than a wacky comedy guy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Kenny thought he could get away with it I'm pretty sure he'd go Ultra Instinct as the finish of a match.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Ibushi did it at the Dome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
VCR Wrestling has been compromised to a permanent end.

https://twitter.com/raulisonline/status/1217275796554952705

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I look forward to people finding the alt he immediately re-regged because twitter does not actually care about getting rid of people like him

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Neodoomium posted:

I look forward to people finding the alt he immediately re-regged because twitter does not actually care about getting rid of people like him
There's no actual way to report an account for ban evasion, which is...bad.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
drat who is rovert gonna retweet now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Neodoomium posted:

actually they burn all the recovery methods when you get suspended. So you gotta roll a new email or sms to register a new account. Its a fairly insignificant hassle but that maybe more google's problem. Who shifts blame on the ISPs. Who ignore everyone because gently caress you, you give monies now.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

VCR Wrestling has been compromised to a permanent end.

https://twitter.com/raulisonline/status/1217275796554952705

Thank god

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ladies and gentlemen

We got him

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Seams posted:

Himself.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Seams posted:

MeltzerSaidWhat is presumably still up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/CristiDragan3/status/1217545454776389632

https://twitter.com/CristiDragan3/status/1206297547784019968

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how are social media people some of the worst socialized humans ever created.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because social media was a huge mistake

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine if you had to spend your entire working day looking into how people behave online. Now imagine that you're the kind of person who wanted this job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cerebral Bore posted:

Imagine if you had to spend your entire working day looking into how people behave online. Now imagine that you're the kind of person who wanted this job.

Yes