Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

In other news, somebody has hacked Burisma, the Ukrainian company at the center of the Hunter Biden "scandal".

I'm sure our Russian friends will not use this for obfuscation and spreading disinformation.

Please, no, dont spike Bidens tires. Amything but that!

If we get into a race between Donald and Biden we deserve what we get regardless of the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bird food bathtub posted:

Wasn't Tulsi one of the people on board with the "Medicaid for America" or whatever the gently caress name that think tank came up with specifically for the purpose of confusing people about "Medicaid for all" with their Affordable Care Act 2.0 do-nothing bullshit "free market" solution?

I kinda remember one of the candidates spouting that poo poo while you could practically see the lobbying check in their pocket and it was her in my admittedly foggy memory.

O'Rourke was Medicare for America.
Gabbard is a cosponsor of the House Medicare for All bill, but has more recently said there is also a role for private insurance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not only did she vote present, she explained that the evidence was there, and he was guilty, but she believed the Dems were wrong.

gently caress her.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Don't elect former military officers is a good rule of thumb to follow.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The only good military officer politicans are all dead or named Duckworth. Jim Webb is on the fence since he is an honest man (wishes he had killed more NVA/VC)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jim Webb's "I killed a man in 'Nam" is one of the greatest debate answers ever

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...a2fc_video.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I love jim webb just for how blunt he is

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

He also wrote Fields of Fire which is a good book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_Fire_(novel)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
John Kerry isn't explicitly terrible, but also no longer a politician.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Tulsi grew up in a cult, still has ties to the cult’s leader, and staffed her campaign with members of that cult.

She has strong beliefs against the legitimacy of homosexuality. She only changed her mind on gay marriage after the political winds shifted, and her apology was “I don’t think they should get married but I also don’t think the government should stop them” which is a milquetoast Politics statement.

She hates Muslims. Any time she gets the opportunity to support a strongman leader that oppresses muslims she’s all in. Big fan of Bashar al Assad, spouts Russian-based conspiracy theories about how it wasn’t actually Assad who did the chemical weapon attacks. She’s also met with Modi personally and says they get along great and is totally fine with him being from a Hindu Nationalist party that’s killed thousands of Indian Muslims.

Whenever she talks about the cost of war it’s ONLY in the cost of American lives. She doesn’t care at all about the deaths of the people in the countries we ruin on the regular.

Also lol at saying she sounded good on Nazi platform Joe Rogan’s podcast. Quit listening to alt-right propaganda.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't think I could vote for a vet who isn't at least a little ashamed to have served.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.carrollspaper.com/news/man-seeks-trial-by-combat-with-ex-wife/article_f3f31762-360e-11ea-b905-97b0a8dcd948.html

quote:

A Kansas man seeks a court-ordered sword fight to settle a dispute with his ex-wife in Harlan over his ability to communicate with their two children, according to court records.

David Zachary Ostrom, 40, of Paola, Kansas, asked for a “trial by combat” early this month to help settle an ongoing spat about what constitutes “reasonable telephone and electronic communication” with the children.

Ostrom also seeks money from his ex-wife to pay for property taxes of their former house in eastern Iowa.

“Trial by combat was still regarded as a legitimate method for dispute resolution when the Constitution was ratified by the United States and by the original 13 colonies,” Ostrom wrote in his request. “To this day, trial by combat has never been explicitly banned or restricted as a right in these United States.”

Ostrom further seeks a delay of about three months so that he can obtain two samurai swords for the fight. He said the woman’s attorney is allowed to fight instead as her “champion.”

Because the two have “indicated they have destroyed me legally, I now wish to give them the chance to meet me on the field of battle, where I will REND THEIR SOULS from their ... bodies,” Ostrom wrote.

Ostrom and his ex-wife have been separated for nearly two years after having been together for 10. At the time a judge granted their divorce, he noted that both of them “are very bright and articulate.”

District court records since their separation are replete with assertions by Ostrom that his communication with the children is lacking when the children are with his ex-wife, who has primary physical care of them in Harlan, where she lives with her parents. Ostrom “now RARELY speaks with the children when they are not in his care,” he wrote.

Ostrom cites a 2016 ruling by a New York Supreme Court justice in which the justice agreed he had the power to order a trial by combat but chose another option.

In a response to Ostrom’s request, the ex-wife’s attorney — Matthew Hudson, of Harlan, who refers to himself in the response as “potential combatant” — argued: “Although the respondent and potential combatant do have souls to be rended, they respectfully request that the court not order this done. We humbly request the court deny this motion, as the potentially life-ending ramifications surely outweigh the severity of the petitioner’s proposed legal remedy of trying to avoid responsibility for property taxes and to acquire additional telephonic communication.”

Hudson has also asked a judge to suspend Ostrom’s visitation rights and order a psychological evaluation of Ostrom.

It’s unclear when a judge will rule on the requests

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If you were gonna do trial by combat why wouldn't you just use a gun?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 14, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And sully the honor of my family?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Because you're a delusional psycho who studied the blade?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trial by combat usually implied that the plaintiff is a lying bitch if they turn it down.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The coda duello, which I believe is the applicable law, says the challenged party gets choice of weapons.

Or just go by the constitution which says "No, we're doing jury trials from now on, what the gently caress is wrong with you idiots?"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Chichevache posted:

And sully the honor of my family?

They suggest blades, you escalate to guns, they pull their suggestion. It's a classic maneuver, you just call their bluff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They suggest blades, you escalate to guns, they pull their suggestion. It's a classic maneuver, you just call their bluff.

So grenades gotcha.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Tulsi grew up in a cult, still has ties to the cult’s leader, and staffed her campaign with members of that cult.

She has strong beliefs against the legitimacy of homosexuality. She only changed her mind on gay marriage after the political winds shifted, and her apology was “I don’t think they should get married but I also don’t think the government should stop them” which is a milquetoast Politics statement.

She hates Muslims. Any time she gets the opportunity to support a strongman leader that oppresses muslims she’s all in. Big fan of Bashar al Assad, spouts Russian-based conspiracy theories about how it wasn’t actually Assad who did the chemical weapon attacks. She’s also met with Modi personally and says they get along great and is totally fine with him being from a Hindu Nationalist party that’s killed thousands of Indian Muslims.

Whenever she talks about the cost of war it’s ONLY in the cost of American lives. She doesn’t care at all about the deaths of the people in the countries we ruin on the regular.

Also lol at saying she sounded good on Nazi platform Joe Rogan’s podcast. Quit listening to alt-right propaganda.

So basically she is your average Republican?

Also who the hell thinks the Rogan podcast is a Nazi platform? Have you listened to it all? Mind you I mostly use it for his science and medical guests but if you’re referring to individuals such as Jordan Peterson and other like minded folk there is a reason to give them such a long format platform. When you let someone talk for 3 hours you get the gist of what that person is all about, good or bad. Compare that to most people’s source of info, Twitter and YouTube clips. I’d say the only negative thing about his podcast is Rogan never really debates or calls people out on their bullshit, mainly because their niche is way out of his league.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ganglysumbia posted:

Also who the hell thinks the Rogan podcast is a Nazi platform? Have you listened to it all? Mind you I mostly use it for his science and medical guests but if you’re referring to individuals such as Jordan Peterson and other like minded folk there is a reason to give them such a long format platform. When you let someone talk for 3 hours you get the gist of what that person is all about, good or bad. Compare that to most people’s source of info, Twitter and YouTube clips. I’d say the only negative thing about his podcast is Rogan never really debates or calls people out on their bullshit, mainly because their niche is way out of his league.

Jordan Peterson and Alex Jones et al do not need hours of time in front of a large audience without any critique of their poo poo.

That's like saying "Hey he interviewed Quincy Jones so having David Duke on the show is OK".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LingcodKilla posted:

So grenades gotcha.

Single health point, proxy mines only. Truly the finest Goldeneye settings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ganglysumbia posted:

Oh look, a brain genius.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ganglysumbia posted:

In case you didn't notice with Milo and the rest of those alt right fucks, deplatforming works. Giving those shitheads air time that gets to millions of listeners just causes more people to go "huh, maybe this 'Hitler' guy isn't so bad after all"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That video of Stefan Molyneux complaining that he can't survive without his YouTube money, and that he can't go back to having a normal job because nobody would hire him because of the stuff he's said online was great.

Also Milo on that right wing version of Twitter or Facebook that they made that showed how many true followers people like him have, and it was something like that less than 20k as opposed to the "millions" on Facebook or Twitter.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 14, 2020

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Listening to Joe Rogan for the science and medical advice

*Cue Twitter post about explosive carnivore diet BMs*

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
I wouldn't advise listening to Rogan himself, his guests however know what they are talking about most of the time. Which becomes self evident when he is mostly smoking weed and downing coffee most of the episode.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ganglysumbia posted:

I wouldn't advise listening to Rogan himself, his guests however know what they are talking about most of the time. Which becomes self evident when he is mostly smoking weed and downing coffee most of the episode.

I listened to one one time cuz I wasn't driving so I had no control.

It made me dumber. The guest was a dumb guy talking dumb poo poo and the dumb host was too dumb to say it's bs.

The dumb producers know the dumb audience is really dumb so they bring the dumb guests on purpose.

In short. If you think his guests are well researched or anything you are probably one of the dumb target audience and thusly a land of contrasts.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ganglysumbia posted:

Dig up, stupid

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ganglysumbia posted:

gently caress that and no, we are under no obligation to legitimize Nazis and shitlords like Jorp by “debating” them, platforming them as if their ideas have any merit or engaging with them beyond sheer mockery, and any podcast host who thinks otherwise is suffering from a terminal case of decorum-influenced dementia.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
The guy has some close to 2000 episodes, some will be dumb. And to say none are credible or know what they are saying probably says you should be one of his dumb listeners as well.

So who else should be listening to while sitting in traffic?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Joe Rogan has had on some decent guests (Sanders has been on it IIRC, for instance), but the man has no ability to filter between guests with actual credentials and folks who think that Hitler gets a bad rap and had some good ideas. And that's a big problem!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ganglysumbia posted:

The guy has some close to 2000 episodes, some will be dumb. And to say none are credible or know what they are saying probably says you should be one of his dumb listeners as well.

Citations Needed is fantastic

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ganglysumbia posted:

Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast is v. good.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Many books come in an "audio" format. Try some Upton Sinclair

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ganglysumbia posted:

Music

Edit: or audiobooks, yeah

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Cum Town.

Also, just as a reminder, Joe Rogan convincing Elon Musk's dumb rear end to smoke weed on camera cost US taxpayers $5 million.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

ganglysumbia posted:

There are plenty of science podcasts that aren't Man Smoking Weed All Day

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Joe Rogan is a 2nd semester Freshman. He's not as smart as he thinks he is, and is dumber than he realizes. He's also a terrible host who talks over guests and likes to chime in his expert two cents, regardless of his knowledge of the subject that he got from glossing over the wiki while high. Watching him with actual SME's, like the CIA dude is loving painful.
You do not need to give everybody equal say. And Joe is doing more than giving them platform, he also propagates their views as an informative authority, and hangs out with them outside of his podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good Podcasts
- Hardcore History
- We Hate Movies - a podcast about bad movies, and sometimes good movies. Very funny.
- Friendly Fire (a podcast about war movies with 2 nerds and 1 history guy who sometimes thinks he knows more than he does, but is still pretry knowledgeable)
- War on the Rocks - modern war and geopolitics
- Bombshell - a War on the Rocks spinoff by three very interesting and intelligent women with years of experience in government
- Blank Check - a podcast about director's filmographies, very funny
- Perfect Organism: The Alien Saga - a podcast all about the Alien series, goes into so much detail, more detail than you ever thought you'd want to know about the movies
-