Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How were you let down by the ending of American Psycho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

How were you let down by the ending of American Psycho?

I just didn't feel satisfied, the film ended and i thought "well glad that's over i can go to bed now". I didn't hate it I just didn't immediately think "great movie, would watch again".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its kinda unfair to compare it to No Country For Old Men to be fair. I felt genuinely cheated by that one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The job of "landlord" should be illegal

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
A mockumentary can't do anything for me. I have not liked This Is Spinal Tap, Fear of a Black Hat, A Mighty Wind... It's not just the music ones, the one about the dog show with Eugene Levy was likewise unenjoyable. Someone told me to try Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, and I thought it was also not worth my attention, and that's the one that everyone said was the best. Mockumentaries are like the SNL sketches of movies, where you decide what joke you want to tell and then what could have been a tight forty five seconds becomes ninety minutes of mugging. Actual documentaries are funnier when not trying to be. We have too many music mockumentaries in particular, and they only proliferate because you can't make movies about actual musicians that are anything less than hagiographies, unless you want the hard dick of the record company slamming your prostate because Heaven forbid we show the depraved and degenerate musicians doing all the poo poo that they fully cop to.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Who felt cheated by No County for Old Men? That ending was really really good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tired of people coughing all the time. Coughing on the bus, in the mall, just coughing coughing coughing. Just loving die already.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

Who felt cheated by No County for Old Men? That ending was really really good.

The best part of the ending of No Country For Old Men was that I could get up out my seat and think about all the far better ways I could 2 hours like doing the dishes or cleaning a toilet because that sounds more fun than that critical wank cluster of a movie. Its not the worst film I've ever seen but its definitely the least satisfying.

Best movie of 2007 people said? Superbad was ten times the movie No Country for Old Men could hope to be

JollyBoyJohn has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jan 11, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

A mockumentary can't do anything for me. I have not liked This Is Spinal Tap, Fear of a Black Hat, A Mighty Wind... It's not just the music ones, the one about the dog show with Eugene Levy was likewise unenjoyable. Someone told me to try Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, and I thought it was also not worth my attention, and that's the one that everyone said was the best. Mockumentaries are like the SNL sketches of movies, where you decide what joke you want to tell and then what could have been a tight forty five seconds becomes ninety minutes of mugging. Actual documentaries are funnier when not trying to be. We have too many music mockumentaries in particular, and they only proliferate because you can't make movies about actual musicians that are anything less than hagiographies, unless you want the hard dick of the record company slamming your prostate because Heaven forbid we show the depraved and degenerate musicians doing all the poo poo that they fully cop to.

Walk Hard isn't a mockumentary, it's a spoof of a biopic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You expect someone who doesn't like Spinal Tap or Best in Show to understand the difference?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best part of the ending of No Country For Old Men was that I could get up out my seat and think about all the far better ways I could 2 hours like doing the dishes or cleaning a toilet because that sounds more fun than that critical wank cluster of a movie. Its not the worst film I've ever seen but its definitely the least satisfying.

Best movie of 2007 people said? Superbad was ten times the movie No Country for Old Men could hope to be

Oh ok

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alvarez IV posted:

You should watch the superior kind of fake documentary. Try The War Game. Guaranteed to produce no laughter

https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked Canadian Bacon

surrendurr prontoah or we'll level Toron T oah

RIP John Candy, rip in piss ronald reagan

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Even though it's edited to make all the 'bad guys' look worse than they really are, The King of Kong remains the best documentary, if only because the idea of people getting that intense over Donkey Kong high scores is incredible and the lengths those assholes go to in order to gently caress over Wiebe is mindblowing.

(The best character in it in Steve Wiebe's daughter. "Some people will ruin their lives over Donkey Kong, won't they?" Yes, little girl. Yes they will. :colbert:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

American Movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen, documentary or otherwise, and the best thing about it is it's all loving real :psyduck:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You're right that No Country for Old Men wasn't the best movie of 2007.

That was There Will Be Blood.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Real unpopular opinion-- best movie of 2007 was Zodiac.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

You're right that No Country for Old Men wasn't the best movie of 2007.

That was There Will Be Blood.

I should really get that watched

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

American Movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen, documentary or otherwise, and the best thing about it is it's all loving real :psyduck:

not wrong

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Tired of people coughing all the time. Coughing on the bus, in the mall, just coughing coughing coughing. Just loving die already.

As someone (a) whose airways get irritated by cold air and (b) lives in Minnesota, rest assured that we are coughing all the time specifically and solely to annoy you and that it's super fun.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
If "plating" and "plated" are pretentious kitchen terms then it seems pretty obvious that "loving" and "hosed" are pretentious sexual terms. You sex-havers always shoving your nose in the air with your fancy words :mad:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That’s not where you shove the nose

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

aardwolf posted:

If "plating" and "plated" are pretentious kitchen terms then it seems pretty obvious that "loving" and "hosed" are pretentious sexual terms. You sex-havers always shoving your nose in the air with your fancy words :mad:

Silver-plated flatware just sounds so much better than silver-hosed flatware. IMHO at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Joan Cusack>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>John Cusack

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I should really get that watched

I mean I also really liked No Country for Old Men so my endorsement may not be applicable to you. But I honestly just have a good time watching DDL get into characters and nail the accents and he's chewing the scenery pretty much the whole time. IMO it doesn't "cheat" you in the same way that No Country did either, in case that was the major sticking point for you.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

I mean I also really liked No Country for Old Men so my endorsement may not be applicable to you. But I honestly just have a good time watching DDL get into characters and nail the accents and he's chewing the scenery pretty much the whole time. IMO it doesn't "cheat" you in the same way that No Country did either, in case that was the major sticking point for you.

I finally watched it this weekend and genuinely loved it, DDL is such an excellent actor and the film really looked and sounded the part

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a bad impression of There Will Be Blood-- it's a great movie, but every wannabe master-of-the-universe I knew in college treated that movie like a loving case study and wouldn't stop quoting it.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

mind the walrus posted:

I have a bad impression of There Will Be Blood-- it's a great movie, but every wannabe master-of-the-universe I knew in college treated that movie like a loving case study and wouldn't stop quoting it.

Die-hard He-Man fans?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

Ah, sort of like Scarface, The Godfather, and college dorm rooms

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel should both be on that list too.

A couple of pages back, but yeah, they were good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If a superweapon that could nuke everything between lower Manhattan and northern Virgina while sparing all around existed, it would be good for the owners to use it

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If a superweapon that could nuke everything between lower Manhattan and northern Virgina while sparing all around existed, it would be good for the owners to use it

White Southern culture and history is a blight

Analytic Engine has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 15, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Welcome back Jastiger.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To be fair it’s not like the pacific Midwest or the original 13 colonies are doing anything to help

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hmm, let's not be so quick to throw the Whites Only state on the God's Blessing side there

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
god drat you weren't kidding

wikipedia posted:

In 1857, the Oregon Territory proposed a state constitution banning black people from entering, residing, or acquiring property. In 1859 Oregon became the only state to enter the Union with such an exclusion clause.[1]

In the 1920s, Oregon had the largest Ku Klux Klan (KKK) membership per capita in the United States.[2] KKK member Walter M. Pierce was elected governor in 1922.[3]

Oregon did not ratify the Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which prohibited the federal and state governments from denying a citizen the right to vote based on their color or race, until 1959.[3]

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

As someone going through a miserable spell of head cold, this is an idea I can get behind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The only thing wrong with Cats is that James Corden is in it, and thankfully he's not in it for long.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

The only thing wrong with Cats is that James Corden is in it, and thankfully he's not in it for long.
The ONLY thing? Did you watch the cockroach scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trapick posted:

The ONLY thing? Did you watch the cockroach scene?

Yes, it was incredible.