Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Right, I guess it would really depend on defense values vs the difference between average stopping power and damage...

It's a shame this is a license game because it seems like a game that would be fun to pick up as a cheap option and optimize the math for but probably never play since the fun is very solo and math oriented. (See: the Sacred Geometry feat from Pathfinder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Spector29 posted:

Discussion Question: How many bits are too fiddly?
Anything other than what's strictly necessary.

Complication in game design costs you, as a designer, both elegance (which is abstract and thus less important) and mental energy the players could be putting towards something else (which is extremely important). Fiddly bits that are added in to make the game more complicated either need to serve tone (combat being a wild series of lethal dice rolls, for example, underscores a universe where combat is frantic and chaotic, so smart players will seek to avoid it) or serve tactical depth by giving players more options.

I'm not seeing any of that from those combat rules. It's just a big pile of dice rolls for the sake of having a big pile of dice rolls.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 14, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend of mine wants to do a play by post style game but is having trouble finding a good space for it that's free, easily accessible on a phone, and isn't affiliated with Facebook. Anyone here have any ideas?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've heard excellent things about Runners in the Shadows, which is a Blades in the Dark hack. The Sprawl is also good, however is more hard cyberpunk and less cyberpunk fantasy.

Dang, yet another game that could have been the Fleetwood Mac RPG, cruelly something else actually.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

GorfZaplen posted:

A friend of mine wants to do a play by post style game but is having trouble finding a good space for it that's free, easily accessible on a phone, and isn't affiliated with Facebook. Anyone here have any ideas?

Discord. Your posts typically smaller, but you can still write a grand honking epic if you really feel the need.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

I just downloaded the quick-start rules. To resolve "I attack the man with my sword":
  • Attacker chooses whether to make two fast attacks or one strong attack (-3 penalty on the 1d10 attack roll for double damage), and whether to do a called shot
  • Attacker rolls to hit
  • Defender chooses type of defense and rolls it
  • If the attacker succeeds by 10 or more, it is a Critical Wound.
  • Attacker rolls hit location, 1 = head, 2-7 = body, 8-10 = lower body, if did a called shot then skip
  • Attacker rolls damage, which is a pile of d6's that you add up
  • If it was a strong attack, double the damage now
  • Subtract the stopping power of their armor for that location [head, body, and lower body can all have different armor values/"Stopping power"]
  • If it was a critical wound, now add 5 damage
  • Multiply that modified damage by 3 if you hit the head, 1 if hit body, 1/2 if hit lower body
  • Reduce the "stopping power" of the armor by 1 because it was damaged by an attack. ARMOR DAMAGE BITCHES!
  • Repeat entire process twice if they chose to make two fast attacks
  • Attacker can take three stamina damage [starting PCs have between 25 and 45] to take another attack action, so another two attacks
That's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg.
edit: corrected a few errors

Hey, I remember the nineties!

Modern RPGs are so sleek and elegant.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Gosh, I wonder why RPGs were a niche hobby 30 years ago

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Coolness Averted posted:

In theory I always liked stuff like defense rolls. For example I thought say old storyteller's attack roll, defense roll, damage roll, soak roll was neat. But yeah in practice combat was super long and cumbersome, especially once you began wading into dice pools, multiple actions, and supernatural powers.
My stance is that if combat is supposed to be a significant part of the game and something everyone contributes to, then resolving "I attack it with my sword" should take least two but no more than three rolls under normal circumstances. If it's okay for some PCs to just not participate in combat, then it's okay for it to be resolved with literally one roll, like you just roll your combat skill and if you succeed you win the fight and the story moves on. Incidentally, this is why Shadowrun's hacking rules are always bad.

Moriatti posted:

Right, I guess it would really depend on defense values vs the difference between average stopping power and damage...

It's a shame this is a license game because it seems like a game that would be fun to pick up as a cheap option and optimize the math for but probably never play since the fun is very solo and math oriented. (See: the Sacred Geometry feat from Pathfinder)
You can download the quick-start rules, Witcher: Easy Mode, off Drive Thru RPG for free. It would probably take an hour or two to make a spreadsheet that calculates the mathematically optimal attack (called shot, fast vs strong, vulnerability, etc) for all possible circumstances.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mystic Mongol posted:

I love when System Mastery does the math on poo poo like this and players have like a 5% chance of ever accomplishing anything in a given combat round.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Whenever some 80s RPG with a niche audience is rereleased, I give it a glance hoping that it will be some remarkably light and to-the-point system like Star Frontiers or James Bond. But it's usually a clusterfuck of fiddly modifiers, derived attributes, and "realistic" combat rules.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Forums.somethingawful.com

I'm serious. This is one of the best places on the internet for running and participating in PbP. I guess it's not free, but $10 once is pretty cheap?

The issue I have with stuff like discord/slack/etc. is that they're designed for a running conversation but not so much for looking back at what someone said 5 months ago, and maybe quoting them. You can totally do that if you have conversations set to be stored, but... it's not super easy. And there's a tendency for people to all show up simultaneously and actually be playing live, rather than play-by-post; on an actual forum, there's less psychological pressure to hurry up and get a post out or you're gonna miss a conversation, kind of thing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I love when System Mastery does the math on poo poo like this and players have like a 5% chance of ever accomplishing anything in a given combat round.
An idea I kick around now and then is Octodad: Tomb of Horrors. The idea is that it's comedic one-shot adventures where the PCs are assigned some very simple mission like "Go to the market, buy some apples, and ride to the next village", but they have to roll for literally everything they want to do (including walking and sitting) and everything you do has a possibility of ridiculous critical fumble tables, so you try to sit down in a chair and it breaks and you get stabbed in the kidney with a chair leg. Everyone's expected to die of some insane bullshit before the end of the module.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

One of the things that drives me is when it's super obvious that a game designer never tried any of their poo poo. Like the BESM game where offense and defense had nothing to do with each other so you could just stack dodge and get a 1 in 36 chance to be hit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the prime suspects for "no one ever playtested this" are the 90s games that borrowed White Wolf's "Stats and Skills rated 1-5" formula, but with a different underlying die mechanic. (Never mind that White Wolf was imitating Shadowrun.) Every company had its own system for the sake of having its own system, and that formula makes the rules appear simple even if they're complicated in practice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the prime suspects for "no one ever playtested this" are the 90s games that borrowed White Wolf's "Stats and Skills rated 1-5" formula, but with a different underlying die mechanic. (Never mind that White Wolf was imitating Shadowrun.) Every company had its own system for the sake of having its own system, and that formula makes the rules appear simple even if they're complicated in practice.
Those were really good for mismatches between what the rulebook said your abilities were ("Three dots in 'Driving': You're not Mario Andretti, but you can compete (and occasionally win) at your local track") and what the system actually allowed them to do (Three dots in 'Driving': you have a 36% chance to change lanes successfully without flipping your car or setting in on fire somehow)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FMguru posted:

Those were really good for mismatches between what the rulebook said your abilities were ("Three dots in 'Driving': You're not Mario Andretti, but you can compete (and occasionally win) at your local track") and what the system actually allowed them to do (Three dots in 'Driving': you have a 36% chance to change lanes successfully without flipping your car or setting in on fire somehow)
Were you thinking of other games and just used storyteller as an example? Because that's not how it worked in even 1st edition owod
You're not supposed to roll for things you could easily do in storyteller, only if there's a chance for failure. Like in the versions where DC was variable instead of fixed at 7 'changing lanes' would be difficulty 1 or 2. Something anyone of average dexterity (2) and no drive skill would auto succeed on. Someone with above average dex and drive could choose to auto succeed on any standard driving action.
The math was broken in other ways, like some devs not knowing the way increasing the DC or the number of successes required weren't interchangeable, and since you rerolled 10s something with a high DC was more likely to gently caress you than help you since 1s were botches.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

I just downloaded the quick-start rules. To resolve "I attack the man with my sword":
[13 point list cut]
That's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg.
edit: corrected a few errors

If ever there was a setting that deserved a 4e retroclone, it's The Witcher's combat system.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gobbeldygook posted:

You can download the quick-start rules, Witcher: Easy Mode, off Drive Thru RPG for free.

Does it have a bestiary, because a large part of the work would be analyzing armor and dr means and modes.

Edit:

A 4e retroclone is tough because of bad optics making it hard to sell being combined with 4e's focus on balance making a more difficult system than the current rules light or 5e style fad.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh boy, more charts! Fuckin' love charts.

Earthdawn believed in the bellcurve. If you had a score of 17, the average result of any check should be 17, so players could know what their expected performance was. But instead of +1d6 -1d6 like Feng Shui, or adding to to the DC and using a D20 roll like most Dungeons and Dragons, instead every single score had you roll dice that would, on average, give you that score. For example, if you added together all your bonuses and penalties to your level and had a final attack modifier of +17, and the target number to hit the ghoul was a 17, you'd consult the following table.

So you'd pick up a d12 and 2d8, and roll them together. If the total was 17 or higher, then you hit! You may note that you only have a 40% chance to hit there because whoever built that chart didn't really understand odds, but that's the price of their innovative new system that let players understand the odds of their skill checks.

Notably, if you forgot a +3 bonus in Earthdawn (something that happens all the time and in any other system is easy to add) you'd be out of luck, because no GM is going to let you look at your roll, then declare that those 2d8 should have really been a d12 and a d10 and try again.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Moriatti posted:

A 4e retroclone is tough because of bad optics making it hard to sell being combined with 4e's focus on balance making a more difficult system than the current rules light or 5e style fad.
I don't even like 4e and I still think a game that just brazenly ripped off 4e would be a big improvement over the current Witcher system. If you're the first person to say "I'm The Witcher" the abilities section of your character sheet looks like this

but if you're stuck being a Man-At-Arms then that section of your sheet looks like this

Seems fair.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Fiction that centers around a single Big drat Hero and his coterie of helpers/assistants/sidekicks is always hard to translate into group-play RPGs. The original TSR Indiana Jones game had the most spectacular manifestation of this issue - there was no chargen system (!) just premade characters from the movies, which meant one person got to be Indy, and everyone else ended up as Marion or Sallah or Short Round.

The Buffy game (and its derivatives) is supposed to handle this very well by giving the non-central characters extra metagame goodies (more luck points and rerolls and suchlike). You can play the central character, and you have a lot of powers and abilities on your character sheet, but you have be careful because you get almost none of the "force the GM to reroll" tokens that the less-powerful characters do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There was almost an official Highlander RPG, but I believe the company tanked before it was released. Fortunately, there are like four different Highlander homebrews for Storyteller alone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

The Buffy game (and its derivatives) is supposed to handle this very well by giving the non-central characters extra metagame goodies (more luck points and rerolls and suchlike). You can play the central character, and you have a lot of powers and abilities on your character sheet, but you have be careful because you get almost none of the "force the GM to reroll" tokens that the less-powerful characters do.
That's how the Dresden files does it too. Being a vampire or a wizard devours your refresh.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

What is this modern table of LIES?

Step 14 originally was D20+D4 (proceeding to D20+D6 etc) and going from D12+D10 at 13 to D20+D4 at 14 was the goddamn WORST because of the abrupt increase in swinginess.

(Note: Earthdawn also had all dice exploding.)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I gave up on the Witcher RPG when I saw that it had derived statistics for how far you could jump vertically and horizontally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BinaryDoubts posted:

I gave up on the Witcher RPG when I saw that it had derived statistics for how far you could jump vertically and horizontally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1U1Ue_5kq8

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My favorite measure for how 1980s a game is measuring how many pages it takes until it tells you how to calculate your carrying capacity.

Lots of games of that era will let you know on page one.

INTRODUCTION
1.0 Characters
1.1 Ability Scores
1.1.1 STRENGTH
1.1.1.1 Deadlift Capability
1.1.1.2 Carrying Capacity
1.1.2 AGILITY

And so on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BinaryDoubts posted:

Don’t all editions of D&D have that too, for both standing and running starts?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Almost no 4e haters are going to object to, for example, a Witcher character's At Wills being Strong Style and Fast Style, and their first and seventh level encounter powers being the ability to take a potion while their third is the ability to cast signs. It's a little more hardcoded than 4e needs to be but gets you to the right sort of combat with only a little obfuscation.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

4e's gonna give you problems because it's built around the concept of a party, where the Witcher is built around being the ultimate loner gish. Like you'd start building him and just immediately stall out at defining his role. Defender probably?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

use the Buffy RPG where the Slayer is overpowered but all the supporting cast have specializations and plot support abilities.

or use Monster of the Week and cross out Chosen and write Witcher

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mystic Mongol posted:

Oh boy, more charts! Fuckin' love charts.

Earthdawn believed in the bellcurve. If you had a score of 17, the average result of any check should be 17, so players could know what their expected performance was. But instead of +1d6 -1d6 like Feng Shui, or adding to to the DC and using a D20 roll like most Dungeons and Dragons, instead every single score had you roll dice that would, on average, give you that score. For example, if you added together all your bonuses and penalties to your level and had a final attack modifier of +17, and the target number to hit the ghoul was a 17, you'd consult the following table.

So you'd pick up a d12 and 2d8, and roll them together. If the total was 17 or higher, then you hit! You may note that you only have a 40% chance to hit there because whoever built that chart didn't really understand odds, but that's the price of their innovative new system that let players understand the odds of their skill checks.

Notably, if you forgot a +3 bonus in Earthdawn (something that happens all the time and in any other system is easy to add) you'd be out of luck, because no GM is going to let you look at your roll, then declare that those 2d8 should have really been a d12 and a d10 and try again.
Through the magic of math, exploding dice have their average at (max+min)/2 + 0.5, which is the step number.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

use Monster of the Week
This is the real answer

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mystic Mongol posted:

I loving hate GURPS combat (well, most of the game's mechanics actually to be honest), and I'm a horrible horrible grog that loves Rolemaster and Hero System.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theironjef posted:

4e's gonna give you problems because it's built around the concept of a party, where the Witcher is built around being the ultimate loner gish.

It really isn't if you look at stuff that isn't the video games. Geralt spends most of the novels travelling in a party with a ranger, a bard, and a vampire who is also a medical doctor.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

It really isn't if you look at stuff that isn't the video games. Geralt spends most of the novels travelling in a party with a ranger, a bard, and a vampire who is also a medical doctor.

I've actually never played the games. I was basing it on Henry Cavill's performance, which basically boiled down to 10 episodes of "I'm Boney I'm Boney, leave me aloooooooooney."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hah! Nice try. That's an Oglaf strip.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I have an idea tinkering in the back of my head of a game where all the players are "supporting cast" to a DMPC "Main Character". The original inspiration was BioWare games, but the problem I ran into was "why would you want to do that" and "why would you need specific rules for it when nothing stops a DM from playing Commander Shepherd right now".

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tibalt posted:

I have an idea tinkering in the back of my head of a game where all the players are "supporting cast" to a DMPC "Main Character". The original inspiration was BioWare games, but the problem I ran into was "why would you want to do that" and "why would you need specific rules for it when nothing stops a DM from playing Commander Shepherd right now".

Tibalt posted:

why would you want to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

thark posted:

What is this modern table of LIES?

Step 14 originally was D20+D4 (proceeding to D20+D6 etc) and going from D12+D10 at 13 to D20+D4 at 14 was the goddamn WORST because of the abrupt increase in swinginess.

(Note: Earthdawn also had all dice exploding.)

I think I've outed myself as a fake Earthdawn fan because I never got to actually play, so I missed that this is the wrong table.

I never got to play because people would get as far in the rules as the dice system and then hand me the book back.