Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

Would u guys support my petition to make Kirby an official Pokemon?

No but I will support a petition to make VideoGames an official Pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy VII Remake has been delayed a month. :/

disc 1: april 2020
disc 2: november 2021
disc 3: TBA (all development has restarted in order to target ninth-generation systems)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Khanstant posted:

[..]
I think I'm nearing the end game to some degree? [...]

Not even close, yo. Getting to the desert is more like "Okay, now let's get this started!".

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The first episode of the remake doesn't end at the end of disc 1 but earlier, although some of the sequence of events has been changed, so all bets are off as to how many episodes total.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone suggest a game for me? I'm on a "feelings" high after going through Disco Elysium, Death Stranding, and Hypnospace Outlaw within a couple months. Is there another recent game out there that will make me feel stuff? Preferably not actiony, but maybe actiony I dunno. I've never been a point-and-click adventure guy but after Disco Elysium who knows.

I've already played Undertale and Life is Strange, I should say. How is LA Noire? I liked doing the cases in the VR edition but I've never played the main game.

Haveyou played LISA The Painful and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

a phalanx formation isn't single file this is an outrage

They get closer (though still not a proper phalanx) in all their moves

Their unique move is a reference to thermopylea

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

precision posted:

I thought LISA was kind of bad

Why's that?

FirstAidKite posted:

It also has the dlc that unfortunately undermines basically any attempt at a message the base game had.

Yeah, Ding only made it because he was obliged to as it was a stretch goal, which was something he regretted in hindsight. Honestly there's no real need to play it.

Just get Pointless or Hopeful for free off of gamejolt. :v:

FirstAidKite posted:

I understand why people wouldn't enjoy it but there is definitely something special there depending on how you approach interacting with the game's world.

It's just that unfortunately by the time the ending comes along, a lot of that development is suddenly tossed aside

What makes you say that? I felt like the ending was really appropriate and set up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Play Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass for feels

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like Jimmy and the Obvious Metaphor

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIm3aVZ5q8

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
DOOM lookin good

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need to buy a bigger ssd

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually, would an external ssd be actually useful for vidya games and making Doom not have a five minute load time each death (jesus) I'm out of the loop

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
do computers still come with e-SATA because isn't that just going to be exactly the same speed as an internal HD?

e) my last "video archive" solution was just internal HDs using an ESATA cradle, was actually pretty convenient!

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 14, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, would an external ssd be actually useful for vidya games and making Doom not have a five minute load time each death (jesus) I'm out of the loop

I think an external SSD connected via USB will still be slower than an internal spinning drive connected via sata

I'm not 100% sure though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd imagine the bottlenecking factor there would be the connection you have it hooked up to more than the speed of the ssd

but yes, ssds in general will absolutely disappear your load times compared to a platter drive

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dammit cheetah

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Huh...so I haven't actually paid attention to Doom since...uhhhh...2004ish? This looks neat: wth is going on? :confuoot:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
drat SSD's keep ruining my loading screen tips by making it too fast. How am I supposed to learn how to defeat the cyberdemon now?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Huh...so I haven't actually paid attention to Doom since...uhhhh...2004ish? This looks neat: wth is going on? :confuoot:

Doomguy is a very angry dude who loves to shoot demons.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
SSDs are bad because how else am I going to read loading screen tips and lore

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

i'd imagine the bottlenecking factor there would be the connection you have it hooked up to more than the speed of the ssd

but yes, ssds in general will absolutely disappear your load times compared to a platter drive

Dang, I'll have to open it up and mount something then. I had Doom on my ssd originally but it's a small one (120 gb lol) and Windows has eaten up too much space despite my efforts to dial it back to reinstall it.

Thanks for the advice yall!

e: It's getting p up there in years though, maybe I'll do an overhaul

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you really haven't played Metal Gear Solid until you've played it with PS1 load times

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cowcaster posted:

Saint Freak posted:

drat SSD's keep ruining my loading screen tips by making it too fast. How am I supposed to learn how to defeat the cyberdemon now?

Seconding that SSD is the single, best hardware upgrade you can make (if you haven't already). The difference between my 3 disc, 10k rpm RAID array and a single SSD is worlds apart... :pcgaming:

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

SSDs are bad because how else am I going to read loading screen tips and lore

I think this is why I never learned you could switch powers in Bioshock Infinite. :ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you have an e-sata port I think plugging an SSD into that will be just as fast as an internal drive. If you're using a laptop you almost certainly do not have an e-sata port; if it's a desktop, you might, maybe. In that situation you buy an internal SSD, since that's what the plug is for. It will just be outside your computer

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

But if you have a desktop why are you bothering with the e-sata port? Shoving things into every nook and cranny of your voluminous tower case is the whole point!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

unless you're an idiot who got a mid sized case

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I managed to get a decent amount of use out of an eSATA enclosure, because i had to do a decent amount of HD swapping

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bloodborne at launch with the stock hdd took 13.25 minutes to load each zone, and didn't even have item lore to read until they patched them in later so you just got to look at the word BLOODBORNE, presumably to remind you what game you were even playing at the time. It was a real power move.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1217138380720496640

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Find a copy of Doom 2016 immediately, it's one of the best FPS/action games in recent memory.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want to say it goes on sale frequently for single digit dollars at this point, so it's not even like it'll run you that much

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This got posted in the RPG thread and I'm sharing it here cause it's cool

Endorph posted:

Some guy is doing randomized final fantasy tactics AI vs AI. basically fft saltybet. it's an incredibly fun watch.

Endorph posted:

You can use money you win to buy skills and classes to put yourself in as, but it's limited to one skill/item/etc, so you can influence your character to a certain extent but you have no control over what team you're on, and getting in at all is pretty RNG too. And you can also just put yourself in as something completely random. You have to pay 1k for the ability to select a monster class but the RNG option can just give you one, for instance. Basically between tournaments you just put in !fight (class if you want) (skill if you have one) and get put into the pool of people who can be put in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

Bloodborne at launch with the stock hdd took 13.25 minutes to load each zone, and didn't even have item lore to read until they patched them in later so you just got to look at the word BLOODBORNE, presumably to remind you what game you were even playing at the time. It was a real power move.

the actual real power move was that the game had fast travel but instead of just letting you teleport directly between warp points, you had to go through a hub zone first, so every teleport cost two load screens

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think there was a coding explanation for why they did it that way but i'll be damned if i can remember what it was

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i think there was a coding explanation for why they did it that way but i'll be damned if i can remember what it was

whatever it was, it's not good enough

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Still a more worthy inclusion than Robin

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Doom Eternal, heh

I've taken to calling it Really good game and if you don't like it you're a dotard 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

Find a copy of Doom 2016 immediately, it's one of the best FPS/action games in recent memory.

Wow...Titanfall 2 sitting over here like catface meme. :catstare:

fakeedit: okay I just watched a couple of trailers and that also looks fun. I do feel kind of bad for id Software, who is now just cranking out endless 90s games for Bethesda.