Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I saw that gif, I thought jerusalem had added some effects to make it look like an old timey movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think the creature sfx looks all that horrible in daylight in that particular scene to be honest. I feel like it holds up pretty well while still obviously being a dude in a molded rubber suit.

Yeah it has the hint of stop motion about it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The monster would probably be fine in a better episode, but this felt a bit like a budget episode/set-up or something that got rushed out the door

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I legit thought that "Oh yeah, this is definitely his hallucination. Vilma is so comically incompetent that it must be Ryan dreaming up all of these stupid secondary characters." when Vilma started screaming for Benni when they've just gone outside after talking about how dangerous it is.

Surely real writers wouldn't write something so ridiculous and cliche as Vilma, the genius kid and father, and the sudden instant chemistry love interest. They have to be fake characters...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I will say, I actually liked the old woman occasionally just having turns for the badass. And that it didn't really feel like it was some 'true self' coming out from behind the mask or anything, she really is just a sweet old lady that can lay down some loving menace.

You probably didn't need most of the rest of the cast, honestly, just focus on Hardass Grandma and her willingness to fight for her man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I will say, I actually liked the old woman occasionally just having turns for the badass. And that it didn't really feel like it was some 'true self' coming out from behind the mask or anything, she really is just a sweet old lady that can lay down some loving menace.

You probably didn't need most of the rest of the cast, honestly, just focus on Hardass Grandma and her willingness to fight for her man.

Her willingness to fight for her man got two people needlessly killed when she started shouting "BENNI BENNI WHERE ARE YOU" when they had just discussed the necessity of remaining totally silent to escape to the tunnel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cojawfee posted:

Her willingness to fight for her man got two people needlessly killed when she started shouting "BENNI BENNI WHERE ARE YOU" when they had just discussed the necessity of remaining totally silent to escape to the tunnel.

I did not say she was a smart woman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Narsham posted:

You want a really quick improvement to the story? The Doctor realizes the dregs breathe carbon dioxide and that the oxygen inside Tranquility is poisonous to them. So why are they attacking? Food can’t be that scarce given how many dregs there seem to be. So have her find out that the resort was producing oxygen via tech and then dumping the waste-products outside. They showed up for trash and CO2 and thought there’d be more inside, then got violent when the place turned out poisonous and full of people who shot at them. Make the attacks somebody’s fault for being heedless in the way humanity is heedless of global warming. Mother-daughter angst isn’t thematically meaningful!

I really like this idea I have to say.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m not a big Doctor Who guy. I enjoy it enough, watch it when it’s on. I’ve got pretty low expectations from it.

But this last episode was so mind-bendingly terrible I have to blunder in here and say so. I’m all for the message of the episode but I literally cannot imagine communicating it worse than this managed. Why is the Doctor immediately hostile to the idea of using a resort to fund the terraforming of an apparently dead planet with no further information? Bella says she’s unemployed, but really she’s a bomb-building terrorist with no other motivation for her very-likely-to-be-deadly plan (even if she didn’t mean to kill people) is that she is angry with her far-too-young-seeming mother? Someone thought it would be a good idea to mix light-hearted jokey scenes with many instances of characters being brutally torn apart in front of our heroes? Your plan is to raise the oxygen levels in a building that’s half on fire?

“Looks like a nice place but actually it’s bad” is such a groan-worthy cliche on Who at this point as well. I guess it’s a small mercy they didn’t waste too much time pretending it was good though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good, if almost entirely for the sick joke with the teleporter. It's meant to be a holiday but it ends up as the most harrowing experience under Chibnall Who, and then they turn back up in the TARDIS like no time has passed. Then the Doctor just says "pull yourself together, or tough titties".

Narsham posted:

Mother-daughter angst isn’t thematically meaningful!

The episode was trying to make a connection between parental abandonment (all the kids in the episode, even Ryan, have absent or neglectful parents) and the idea of an Orphan world, which is itself as much abandoned (by the rich and powerful, so not exactly parents) as it is a forbidden planet. I think it's a bit of a long bow to draw, but it's clearly intentional.

The domed resort ends up being a pretty nasty bit of satire as well, if also fairly obvious. Laura Fraser has decided to reinvigorate the planet Earth, and the first thing she does is reinstate a system of haves and have nots.

That said it's probably best not to think too hard about the dregs being a race of climate refugees who are trying to break through a wall to safety / comfort and must therefore be shot on sight.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I forgot about the important moral that we should always believe that a literal child is a better engineer than his father, the professional engineer, on basically no evidence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the interest of positivity I'll say one bit I really liked was when Graham thinks Ryan might be dead, then finds him and the two hug in relief, and Terrorist-Daughter gets this really uncomfortable look on her face and walks away, because the bond between them reminds her both of her dead father AND of her mother abandoning her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would definitely liked it better if it turned out that the dregs were actually peaceful and thought the resort was meant to poison their world (which is technically true). Instead of the "it's true and it's happening in your home town" message, they could have come up with one about not ruining a planet just because it's more convenient.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That should have made the terrorist the good guy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

That should have made the terrorist the good guy.

Wasn't she?

Her mother was trying to commit genocide.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wasn't she?

Her mother was trying to commit genocide.

They finally found common ground when they decided to die doing what they both loved: killing the natives of a planet they were exploiting for their own personal goals.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

They finally found common ground when they decided to die doing what they both loved: killing the natives of a planet they were exploiting for their own personal goals.

TBH, this read only enhances the final scene rather than detracts from it.

Climate refugees eat idle rich. Happy endings all round.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hmmm, there were parts about it that I liked! I liked the it had the correct feeling of a Doctor Who episode at the start, but then... it all goes to poo poo.

Hey, is anyone else bothered by the end when the Doctor said that this was just one possibility for Earth?

I haven't see every single episode of classic who, but hasn't Nuwho established that when the Doctor visits a place it pretty much makes that a fixed point in time? Wasn't the old Time Lord Victorius madness in reference to trying to change timelines?

I feeeeeeeeeeel like that was a huge mistake. Doesn't that imply that every adventure and every thing that the Doctor has fixed in the show ever is just one possibility for that time/place? :psyduck: Doctor Who isn't Avengers.

Did anyone else take issue with that? It really seems to cheapen the experiences they have if it's just one possibility. I mean if Earth avoids Orphan 55 then does that mean that the episode we just watched wouldn't happen because there is no Orphan 55? Doctor Who has gone complete Austin Powers now. I need Basil to look me in the eyes and tell me that I shouldn't worry about it.

I agree with this. The message was fine, but humanity and its future has been flushed out enough that to make it earth was just rewriting the rules. They could have made it a different planet and still pointed out the impact it could have on our world.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I agree that twist wasn't needed (although I admit I cracked up that for Ryan, the reveal was a 'MADE IN CHINA' label), but I disagree with the notion that it breaks the show's concept of time travel.

The show's been implicitly agreeing with 'the future can change even after it's been observed' ever since they destroyed Atlantis twice, it's just that nobody's really mentioned it directly before now, and time is evidently stubborn enough that minute changes don't cause huge aftereffects. Which is pretty easily justified; did Martha need to know that the futures she saw weren't set in stone? Did Amy? Hell, Amy literally saw that the future can change while they're not looking in Vincent and the Doctor. This time, it was worth telling her companions that the future can change, because the thing worrying them is not inevitable.

Just because it's a bad and unnecessary twist, doesn't mean it's a wrong twist.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I hope that was no one’s introduction to this show, because that was rough.

I will echo what everyone else has said, there were too many ideas crammed in and all the secondary characters were flat and had nothing to offer.

Also, this episode really cemented the idea that there are too many companions - it gives us too little time with any one of them. Plus we don’t get to explore the Doctor herself enough. We are over a season in and I don’t feel like I have much of a handle at all on what kind of person the new Doctor is.

Anyhow this one was reeeeally bad and I hope the season improves. The plot in the first episode was a crazy mess too, but it got a pass because the Master was a fun twist. Let’s see how it goes from here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh also I'm gonna go ahead and assume it was a meta-joke that Yaz is the third wheel in the old couple's moment near the start of the episode, since probably my biggest issue with the show so far is she so frequently doesn't get anything to do other than just be there :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have to say, the next episode’s title is really terrible. Like, that’s honestly the best you could come up with? Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror :cripes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm up for that title if they go just FULL cornball. Lean into it in some way or another.

It's not an unsalvageable name, it's just a very silly one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah personally I love the name and I'm extremely hopeful it's a "funny" episode and they lean fully into being ridiculous.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I agree with this. The message was fine, but humanity and its future has been flushed out enough that to make it earth was just rewriting the rules. They could have made it a different planet and still pointed out the impact it could have on our world.

There's the Nerva beacon era, so it's not like the Earth hasn't been rendered unihabiywble and repopulated before. You could just about squint and make it the same process, only Ark In Space / Sontaran Experiment happened after the innevitable terraforming.

Or maybe this depopulation happens way closer to the year 5 billion, given that Hyph3n seemed to be very much of the RTD school of future history, as did the pushy computer voice.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Hey, is anyone else bothered by the end when the Doctor said that this was just one possibility for Earth?
Orson Pink wound up never existing because Danny Pink died and the Doctor has visited so many different versions of Future Earth that I always took this as a given.

Also, nobody knows Aliens exist despite the fact that Earth has been invaded eleventy-six times and while Eleven rebooted the universe and later erased knowledge about himself from all of creation, that conceit had been undone by the end of that same season without any real reason.

Our moon is an egg. Except it's not. Don't take your pills, though, 'cause the trees might actually be talking to you.

Remember the cool poo poo, try to forgive the bad, and never, ever eat pears listen to anybody who likes CinemaSins without consulting Joel Hodgson first. :P

Edit: One thing I really enjoy about Doctor Who is that you're not allowed to intersect with your own timeline, unless you already have, at which point you now must. :stare: .

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 14, 2020

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think the messaging could have been better. I’m not a fan of the idea that the rich got to just wander off, that the Dregs are pure evil, or that the planet can be terraformed for the cost of some newspaper coupons and a necklace. Most of the people watching the episode are going to be from pretty rich countries, and we need those countries to be stopping the crisis now, not working on becoming even richer and waiting for a technological silver bullet.

I think it could work if the vacation dome was a refuge for the rich that was breaking down on its own. You could have the Dregs turn up and send the security team into a panic, but not have them hunt down and murder half the resort. The resort team then needs to go out to secure replacement parts for their resort, which is a raid on Dreg territory. The Doctor can then find out the Dregs are also human, and the reason they are interested in the resort is because they are the ones trying to build the terraformer, and it has parts they need.

It would tighten up a bunch of issues in my mind. The lifestyle of the rich is clearly unsustainable and unproductive, the Dregs name is better reinforced as a classist insult, the Dregs are more clearly the victims, the resort manager mum more clearly has her materialist priorities wrong, and terrorist daughter has legitimate reasons to be doing what she’s doing. The only way forward involves everyone working together. And yeah, you don't need to explain to us it's Earth. We get it. And if you do want it to be Earth, just leave it to right at the end when one of the companions puts it together and asks the Doctor what planet they were just on, and the Doctor uncomfortably dodges the question.

The Made in China bit was amusing to me. Is there a vacation dome factory in China using child Dreg labour?

As a weird aside, when I first saw Hyph3n, I thought they were going for an environmental collapse episode, but the running joke was similar to Cat from Red Dwarf, where it’s implied but never confirmed that all the staff are evolved from different domesticated animals, and they have a religion/culture based around The Time of the Providers and are all working together to rebuild the world after the Providers destroyed it for reasons they don’t know but are all convinced must have been very good. But nope, it was just a bad costume.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Edit: One thing I really enjoy about Doctor Who is that you're not allowed to intersect with your own timeline, unless you already have, at which point you now must. :stare: .

The Doctor showing up at the end of this episode very confused about how but still extremely happy to somehow be alive again is the best :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The negative comments finally got me intrigued enough to watch, and good god, I'm not trying to be contrarian, but this episode is clearly in the top 3 of the Chibnall era. That says more about the era than it does the episode, which has about two-and-a-half too many concepts, characters who are far too willing to sacrifice themselves, and a complete misunderstanding of what the word "quiet" means. It's middling Doctor Who, but at least it feels like Doctor Who again. It's a revelation hearing these characters talk like they're not nitwits. The Doctor does Doctor-y things and says Doctor-y stuff. It's still kind of generic Doctor stuff, I still don't have a real good handle on what Whitaker's supposed to be like, but hell, it's a start. "I usually do most of the talking anyway," and her running out of oxygen first because she never stops talking are great bits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

her running out of oxygen first because she never stops talking are great bits.

Oh I absolutely loved that bit, for sure :)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rochallor posted:

The negative comments finally got me intrigued enough to watch, and good god, I'm not trying to be contrarian, but this episode is clearly in the top 3 of the Chibnall era. That says more about the era than it does the episode, which has about two-and-a-half too many concepts, characters who are far too willing to sacrifice themselves, and a complete misunderstanding of what the word "quiet" means. It's middling Doctor Who, but at least it feels like Doctor Who again. It's a revelation hearing these characters talk like they're not nitwits. The Doctor does Doctor-y things and says Doctor-y stuff. It's still kind of generic Doctor stuff, I still don't have a real good handle on what Whitaker's supposed to be like, but hell, it's a start. "I usually do most of the talking anyway," and her running out of oxygen first because she never stops talking are great bits.

I mean, I'm not as negative as you about this era, but I will absolutely say this episode did feel very much like it could only be a Doctor Who episode, and so while it was a mess, I could never be talked into hating it. there's too many individual good moments. Ryan getting the hopper, and then the Doctor getting it out of him is just great stuff. Ryan in general is great in this episode. it's nice to see Whittaker actually get to play the Doctor doing really Doctor-y things more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Actually, the episode, and the hopper particularly, reminded me a lot of Farscape. But I really liked it tbh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

"I usually do most of the talking anyway," and her running out of oxygen first because she never stops talking are great bits.

While I think this episode could do with a little bit more explanation in places (again, I think there's a lot more logic to Benni than was actually said just as an example), I think this one not actually being said elevates it so much. Shine a light on it and you take away the dramatic impact of the moment, that for once the Doctor is the first one to succumb to the present danger. But let it sit where it is, and it makes a perfect, quiet sense while being a joke about as light-hearted as the other lighter parts of the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Yeah. Part of the case for Doing Something Now about climate change is that we only have one world and can;t meaningfully preserve humanity if we wreck it. Kinda dilutes the message if there are billions of humans safe among the stars. The Earth will always be destroyed eventually, we even saw it in the second ep of the revival.But humans survive so :shrug:

Jerusalem posted:

Oh also I'm gonna go ahead and assume it was a meta-joke that Yaz is the third wheel in the old couple's moment near the start of the episode, since probably my biggest issue with the show so far is she so frequently doesn't get anything to do other than just be there :3:

I used to be all for having a big Team TARDIS like in the Davison era and assumed the better writers of today could fix the problems of back then. I now have come around to say 2 Companions is the sweet spot and they shouldn't have more. It's too many to service.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Preorder of Tom Baker’s Season 14 Blu-Ray is up on Amazon UK. Due out April 20th, but considering the Season 26 one is still not out from a release date of Dec 23rd, that April may not be firm.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yaz cockblocking a marriage proposal was...uh...hmmm...

Felt rather tasteless, even if she had no way of knowing about it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cleretic posted:

While I think this episode could do with a little bit more explanation in places (again, I think there's a lot more logic to Benni than was actually said just as an example), I think this one not actually being said elevates it so much. Shine a light on it and you take away the dramatic impact of the moment, that for once the Doctor is the first one to succumb to the present danger. But let it sit where it is, and it makes a perfect, quiet sense while being a joke about as light-hearted as the other lighter parts of the episode.

But it was said. The doctor looks at her wrist thing, sees it's yellow and the security lady says "you talk to much".

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
The Doctor doesn’t need oxygen anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

The Doctor doesn’t need oxygen anyway.

Yeah, I was wondering if they'd bring up her respiratory bypass, but no. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I was wondering if they'd bring up her respiratory bypass, but no. :/

When was that a thing again?