Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oracle posted:

This isn't how it works though is it? You either vote to hear from witnesses or not, you don't get to cherry pick who because that's up to each side once the rules are agreed to.

no, their plan is to explicitly say in the rules resolution they adopt which witnesses are going to get called, this gives maximum predictability for either side.

even if some people are allowed to testify, McConnell seriously does not want to give Trump the ability to call anyone as a witness lol. I think he's crafty enough to understand how thoroughly Trump could gently caress him here -- better to make Trump mad at you now by only allowing specific witnesses than to make him insanely furious at you later when you have to tell him that actually you don't have 51 votes to call Crooked Hillary as a witness

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Oracle posted:

This isn't how it works though is it? You either vote to hear from witnesses or not, you don't get to cherry pick who because that's up to each side once the rules are agreed to.

Not if you vote in a provision to only allow witnesses called from a majority vote.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

In a way I'm fine with the Republicans calling a bunch nonsensical witnesses, because they'll have nothing pertinent to say in their testimony. Adam Schiff in exchange for John Bolton is a pretty good trade.

Is that even a trade? I'd love to have Schiff testify.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is that even a trade? I'd love to have Schiff testify.
He'd probably refuse on principle due to the protected speech clause, but if he was invited to be interviewed by the House managers I could see him accepting.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I’m not sure if it belongs in the OP or it is just posted every couple pages but I would be in favor if someone could do like a couple paragraph summary of the ways the impeachment trial is fundamental different from what we think about a criminal or civil trial.

I feel like the process for witnesses, testimony, and who knows what special decisions the Rs will make has already been or will be asked a lot...I know we aren’t seeing a lot of traffic now, but once this thing hits C-SPAN, I’m sure we are going to see some serious poo poo

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

eke out posted:

given there's better than even odds a different party controls the DOJ roughly 370 days from now, I don't think any of these people are stupid enough to think "I'll just lie about everything and it'll be fine" is an acceptable low-risk option

No, "the democrats have to look forward, not backward." Don't you remember Obama?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Whoa. OK, wait a second. What happened to "Mitch has the votes"?

1glitch0 posted:

No, "the democrats have to look forward, not backward." Don't you remember Obama?

Oh, is Barack Obama running for President in 2020?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Whoa. OK, wait a second. What happened to "Mitch has the votes"?

yeah it appears, based on rapid shifts in republican messaging, their best case scenario is now "Only John Bolton testifies against trump"

1glitch0 posted:

can you at least try to contribute to the thread in any way rather than shitposting? i know this is a big ask but please take it under advisement

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 14, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Crazyweasel posted:

I’m not sure if it belongs in the OP or it is just posted every couple pages but I would be in favor if someone could do like a couple paragraph summary of the ways the impeachment trial is fundamental different from what we think about a criminal or civil trial.

I feel like the process for witnesses, testimony, and who knows what special decisions the Rs will make has already been or will be asked a lot...I know we aren’t seeing a lot of traffic now, but once this thing hits C-SPAN, I’m sure we are going to see some serious poo poo

I'll do this at some point before the trial, assuming I get time. Until then, the answer is almost certainly going to be available on lawfare if you want real specifics

or here's politico with a less-specific overview

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1217040640229498880

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Senate trial is going to be a tough balancing act for Republicans since the only thing rich old white people love more than doing crimes is snitching.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is the theory in what Bolton knows?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

cr0y posted:

Where the bodies are buried.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

cr0y posted:

“I am not part of whatever drug deal Sondland and Mulvaney are cooking up."

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm assuming bolton knows just about everything

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Republicans were screaming hearsay during the house testimony but that’s harder to argue when it’s the president’s national security advisor who should have personally been there when trump was talking and planning all this stuff.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rauros posted:

“I am not part of whatever drug deal Sondland and Mulvaney are cooking up."

also telling multiple deputies to immediately report what they know to NSC counsel

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Bolton is not going to rock the boat. But getting him to testify is a crack in the wall, creating an opening for more testimony, more GOP making fools of themselves, and more Trump twitter madness.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hunter Biden?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Hunter Biden?

This isn't CSPAM and drive-by shitposting isn't welcome in this thread. Please try to actually contribute something of value, engage in good faith, or, alternatively, don't post at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

eke out posted:

This isn't CSPAM and drive-by shitposting isn't welcome in this thread. Please try to actually contribute something of value, engage in good faith, or, alternatively, don't post at all.

I'm not posting in bad faith, I think they should actually let the Republicans call Hunter Biden.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I'm not posting in bad faith, I think they should actually let the Republicans call Hunter Biden.
What is the relevance to the impeachment? You know, other than "look they got him to testify so he obviously did something wrong, Trump was right"?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mcmagic posted:

Democrats would have nothing to gain. What he did or didn’t do is irrelevant to the impeachment. All it would do is muddy the waters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You realize that if the D's get to call Bolton and Pompeo, Trump will get to call his own witnesses, right? So let him call Hunder Biden... Who cares. Maybe we get lucky and it hurts Joe in the primary

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 14, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...vic872tGwXlJ3o0

its offcial. they dont have enough votes to kill it outright.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

mcmagic posted:

You realize that if the D's get to call Bolton and Pompeo, Trump will get to call his own witnesses, right? So let him call Hunder Biden... Who cares. Maybe we get lucky and it hurts Joe in the primary

Not necessarily. They can set the rules for witnesses they want. They could restrict it to a certain list and not make it a free for all. If anything that seems more likely now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mcmagic posted:

It's an impeachment trial about whether Trump abused the power of his office to damage a political rival, and you think it'd be a good idea during the trial to give Trump the go-ahead to continue his efforts, completely undercutting the Dem's own argument that Trump's actions were beyond the pale and severe enough to merit impeaching.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Republicans in the Senate are not going to ask for Biden's testimony

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

oxsnard posted:

Republicans in the Senate are not going to ask for Biden's testimony

You sure?

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1217168179711172609

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

95% of republicans don't want ANYONE testifying. There's no one they can call that could help the president.

Only the Neocons want Bolton.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's going to own if this actually happens, since it's going to be the most insane circus imaginable.

all that wishcasting from McConnell about a manageable trial with no witnesses that gets quickly finished? right out the door

we know from six weeks' worth of polling that impeachment hearings didn't help republicans at all, and them turning this into an even more insane spectacle while even more people are watching is going to actively hurt them

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 14, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Perhaps the play is to call as many witnesses as possible, drag out the trial with as much inane bullshit as they can find & hope the American public gets tired of hearing about it and treats the acquittal as a "finally that's over" instead of :wtc:

added bonus: Warren, Klobuchar & Sanders would be stuck in DC during the trial and not campaigning

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ehh I think actually getting shitbirds like Mulvaney and McGahn to the stand would be a net win for the Democrats. Not to mention career OMB officials basically calling out the lies and cover-up. You can't hide that in a circus.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pander posted:

Ehh I think actually getting shitbirds like Mulvaney and McGahn to the stand would be a net win for the Democrats. Not to mention career OMB officials basically calling out the lies and cover-up. You can't hide that in a circus.

oh absolutely

if the choice is between
(1) no one gets to testify
(2) free for all

i'll take (2) in a heartbeat.

if it's just "bolton for hunter biden, and no one else" though then it's less obviously worth it (though maybe still, on the balance, worth it)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

We get Rudy and they get to put Hillary's server on the stand.

WHY ARE YOU STONEWALLING LITTLE GRAY BOX WITH A DELL LOGO? :argh:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oldskool posted:

added bonus: Warren, Klobuchar & Sanders would be stuck in DC during the trial and not campaigning

So would Collins, Cornyn, Tillis, Gardener, Loeffler, Perdue, and hell gently caress it Mitch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

oh absolutely

if the choice is between
(1) no one gets to testify
(2) free for all

i'll take (2) in a heartbeat.

if it's just "bolton for hunter biden, and no one else" though then it's less obviously worth it (though maybe still, on the balance, worth it)

bolton might show up. but its sounds like trumps gonna get his wish and make this a dumb circus about sucking him off and screaming at his enemies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cr0y posted:

We get Rudy and they get to put Hillary's server on the stand.

WHY ARE YOU STONEWALLING LITTLE GRAY BOX WITH A DELL LOGO? :argh:

"It was in fact NOT safe to turn off this computer, 5/5 pinocchios"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: wrong thread.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

With Russia currently actively hacking Burisma I'm not convinced having Hunter Biden on the stand would work as the kind of distraction the Republicans want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1217213369008164864
https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1217211610114285574
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1217213598281478144