Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Elblanco posted:

Do acrylic paints work alright? I've got a bunch of citadel paints for my warhammer stuff and I don't own an airbrush.

I think you're gonna need to prime the kit before Citadel paints will work well. But luckily Citadel primer works just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
You'll absolutely have to prime for acrylics.

They are the coldest makeup of paints and dry as a film rather than bonding to plastic.

Chances are if you paint acrylic onto straight Gunpla plastic it's just going to run off, or if it does stay on you'll pretty much wipe it off with a simple touch.

For inner frame and joints I'll always assemble them and do a light prime with the joint straight, then when dry enough move the joints to see what extra coverage you may need.

Sometimes a simple sanding will give enough clearance for any paint you may need.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

How much can I kitbash the 30MM? Like could I put a Portanova's arms on an Alto frame?

30MMs are compatible with most recent (Build Fighters etc.) High Grade accessories as all the peg holes on the frame are the standard 3mm ones, and they can also fit most backpack adapters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm debating whether I'd be better splicing my kit with an IBO or a Build series high grade. Lots of possibilities.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm debating whether I'd be better splicing my kit with an IBO or a Build series high grade. Lots of possibilities.

Build has more compatibility. IBO's backpack design is a different standard, reducing your options a tiny bit.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Build has more compatibility. IBO's backpack design is a different standard, reducing your options a tiny bit.

You'll probably have to order it online. But Bandai had these accessory sheets for a couple bucks with converting pegs and stuff. Although drat if I know which ones you'd need for your kit bash idea.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I was messing around with some of my kits and some of the g-reco backpacks have the same spacing and mounts as well.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Coming in late to primerchat, but I've had absolutely zero problems with Stynylrez primer through a .5mm airbrush tip. Give it 10 minutes if you want to be 100% certain but I've painted it in 5 minutes, or just hit a piece with the primer, used a hair dryer on it until the primer lost its sheen and turned matte, put the hair dryer on cool mode to de-heat it, then two minutes later put acrylics on it.

I haven't tried this with enamel and I would absolutely not recommend it for lacquers - for those, give it at least 15-30 minutes. I've honestly not had problems but I also haven't logged or tested dry times and their related scratch resistance without topcoats.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
So I decided to take the kotobukiya plunge and ordered an armored core kit. Is glue required for these? Alot of the product reviews complain about needing glue but you also see these complaints on modern gunpla reviews as well  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

tenderjerk posted:

So I decided to take the kotobukiya plunge and ordered an armored core kit. Is glue required for these? Alot of the product reviews complain about needing glue but you also see these complaints on modern gunpla reviews as well  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's anything like the Z.O.E. kits it should be snap fit. I'd say nail polish for ball joints might be a better warning.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

tenderjerk posted:

They are "theoretically" snap fit. In practice, the engineering is typically sloppy enough that the only practical way to build the kit is to use glue to hold the loose-fitting parts together. Get some Tamiya extra thin ready.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

MJP posted:

Coming in late to primerchat, but I've had absolutely zero problems with Stynylrez primer through a .5mm airbrush tip. Give it 10 minutes if you want to be 100% certain but I've painted it in 5 minutes, or just hit a piece with the primer, used a hair dryer on it until the primer lost its sheen and turned matte, put the hair dryer on cool mode to de-heat it, then two minutes later put acrylics on it.

I haven't tried this with enamel and I would absolutely not recommend it for lacquers - for those, give it at least 15-30 minutes. I've honestly not had problems but I also haven't logged or tested dry times and their related scratch resistance without topcoats.

Backing stynylrez as well, its the ONLY primer I use. The only one of theirs ive had an issue with is uhhh gloss black? It seemed to be runny/watery but I may not have mixed it well enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lmao they just couldn't resist turning the mace into one of those dumbass combining weapons

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Gripweed posted:

lmao they just couldn't resist turning the mace into one of those dumbass combining weapons

Assuming this is some awful mod, at which theres a lot of really bad and dumb things folks do in gunpla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dead Like Rev posted:

Assuming this is some awful mod, at which theres a lot of really bad and dumb things folks do in gunpla.

It's real. It's from Dalong's review of the MG Barbatos

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's dalong's picture. It's real.

E: f, b

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TBH if that would have been in the show it'd only have made it worse for the people facing Mika so it's a saving grace in a way. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It probably was real, Mika likely just never noticed and/or bothered using them because of his penchant for giant crushing weapons.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I dunno it's fine, not even noticible in the final construction unless you want to actively utilize it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I fail to see the problem???

You can just NOT use the daggers and the mace works the exact same way.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mafia Mace works the same way.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gripweed posted:

It's real. It's from Dalong's review of the MG Barbatos

The transforming rifle on the non-grade Barbatos confused the hell out of me for longer than I'm willing to admit.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Bloody Pom posted:

It probably was real, Mika likely just never noticed and/or bothered using them because of his penchant for giant crushing weapons.

This is headcanon now. I mean, how long did it take him to figure out the sword? There's probably a dozen weapons on that suit that he either never noticed or just didn't know how to use.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cool, I think that's the assembly stage complete.

Just gotta figure out a color scheme and... Get up the gumption to paint the drat thing...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

I'm most of the way through the 063AN Ambient kit right now - it hasn't needed glue, some pieces need sanding down to fit (like the feet connectors) because they're so overly tight - but nothing has needed glue yet. Which one did you order?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 15, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some Gundam AGE kits are apparently getting re-released in April and none of them are the one I goddamn actually want :argh: (The Titus)

These are what's coming back;

HG 1/144 G Exes
HG 1/144 G-Bouncer
HG 1/144 Zeydra
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-2DB Double Bullet
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-2DH Dark Hound
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-FX
HG 1/144 Gundam Legilis
HG 1/144 G-Xiphos
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-1 Full Glansa

Most IBO kits are getting a rerelease too in April, except for the Hashmal.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As a fan of AGE MS design and as someone who was relegated to buying the G-Exes and Bouncer from Mandarake I am on board with this. The only thing missing for me is the Farsia

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some Gundam AGE kits are apparently getting re-released in April and none of them are the one I goddamn actually want :argh: (The Titus)

These are what's coming back;

HG 1/144 G Exes
HG 1/144 G-Bouncer
HG 1/144 Zeydra
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-2DB Double Bullet
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-2DH Dark Hound
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-FX
HG 1/144 Gundam Legilis
HG 1/144 G-Xiphos
HG 1/144 Gundam AGE-1 Full Glansa

Most IBO kits are getting a rerelease too in April, except for the Hashmal.

Any word on whether the IBO rerelease will include the P-bandai models? I think I'm going to try to get every Graze, because I consistently make poor choices.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

USA Gundam Store has some more G40s for preorder with shipping in April.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really want to get those P-Bandai Frame Shiden variants.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Any word on whether the IBO rerelease will include the P-bandai models? I think I'm going to try to get every Graze, because I consistently make poor choices.

I would say no. What gets a rerelease on PB is never announced ahead of time. They often put them out alongside a relevant new release but rarely more than 2-3 in one go.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd love to get my hands on a mg titus for a reasonable price.

Speaking of things being out of print boy did I gently caress myself by not buying the mg universe booster when it was released. It was 30-40$ canadian when it was released and now it's either out of stock or twice or people area asking 80 bucks for it

I know bandai kits don't usually go out of print, but there can be times in which you can't find the kit you want for a reasonable price.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

Flipswitch posted:

I'm most of the way through the 063AN Ambient kit right now - it hasn't needed glue, some pieces need sanding down to fit (like the feet connectors) because they're so overly tight - but nothing has needed glue yet. Which one did you order?
04-alicia unsung, it seems like a brick which I'm perfectly ok with, and I've built a number of RGs and old MGs so I can handle tiny fiddly bits, looks like I'm getting a new file set though

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Bees on Wheat posted:

This is headcanon now. I mean, how long did it take him to figure out the sword? There's probably a dozen weapons on that suit that he either never noticed or just didn't know how to use.

It was his literal end of season 1 upgrade, no giant gently caress off suit upgrade no new suit just "Hey, i figured out how this Katana works Orga. Do you want me to kill him with it orga?" Nothing beats the gently caress off huge jaws of life mace though.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Dead Like Rev posted:

It was his literal end of season 1 upgrade, no giant gently caress off suit upgrade no new suit just "Hey, i figured out how this Katana works Orga. Do you want me to kill him with it orga?" Nothing beats the gently caress off huge jaws of life mace though.

So help me if they make 6th form p-bandai. Dream release is they do equipment releases like the HG got or like the A-Z stuff F90 is getting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

04-alicia unsung, it seems like a brick which I'm perfectly ok with, and I've built a number of RGs and old MGs so I can handle tiny fiddly bits, looks like I'm getting a new file set though
Sweet dude. I nearly pulled the trigger on the same kit but couldn't find one for a reasonable price, it looks menacing! Post pictures as you go!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Sazabi posted:

So help me if they make 6th form p-bandai. Dream release is they do equipment releases like the HG got or like the A-Z stuff F90 is getting.

I'm holding off on getting the Barbatos purely because of this possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

USA Gundam Store has some more G40s for preorder with shipping in April.

thanks for the heads up, i looked a few weeks ago and everywhere was sold out