Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Apparently Spain's exploded.

quote:

Black smoke billowed above the factory in Tarragona, following what rescue services called a “chemical accident”. However, authorities said there was no evidence of any “toxic cloud”.

quote:

The civil defence agency advised people nearby to stay inside with doors and windows shut as a precaution, but added: “There is no evidence of a toxic cloud.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jabor posted:

I've seen removables that go into a casement that's buried pretty deep, might not stop a loaded truck at full speed but seems like it'd do a good job against an idiot in a sedan.

They make removable k-rated bollards

Bollards may be disguised as planters or other architectural features as well!

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

From maybe 20 pages or so back but can't seem to find it. Private pilot who takes a crazy approach straight down in low visibility, also was a video of him low flying by the SF waterfront then hard banking right as he nears the golden gate bridge. Anyone have link? only thing I can remember is that his name is Jeff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sinkhole opens in China, bus falls in, hilarity ensues:

Sorry for size, can't seem to edit it

Ed: Deleted, I didn't know people died. :(

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 14, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stanky Bean posted:

From maybe 20 pages or so back but can't seem to find it. Private pilot who takes a crazy approach straight down in low visibility, also was a video of him low flying by the SF waterfront then hard banking right as he nears the golden gate bridge. Anyone have link? only thing I can remember is that his name is Jeff.

his name is Jerry and he's a fixture of this and the aviation thread. i don't have a link to the specific video you mean but here's a screenshot:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stanky Bean posted:

Jerry Wagner

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Deteriorata posted:

https://i.imgur.com/oG5Ywe4.mp4

Sorry for size, can't seem to edit it.

If that's the one I vaguely remember reading about earlier, it killed a few people too.

E: at least six

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/14/china-sinkhole-swallows-bus/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Deteriorata posted:

https://i.imgur.com/oG5Ywe4.mp4

Sorry for size, can't seem to edit it.

Like 20 people died in that hole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

his name is Jerry and he's a fixture of this and the aviation thread. i don't have a link to the specific video you mean but here's a screenshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22nYaAxzsZU&t=1219s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Note that even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the the catch-all 14 CFR § 91.13 "careless or reckless operation" rule, Jerry is still violating the 91.119 minimum safe altitude rule, which says that you must be 1000 feet above the nearest obstacle within 2000 feet in any congested area. He's definitely not 1000 feet above the Bay Bridge towers.

e: his altimeter actually reads ~500 feet when he starts that insane 60-degree banked turn. The Bay Bridge towers are 520 feet tall.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 14, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
just gonna take a sharp bank with an open drink by the instrument panel, what could go wrong

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lazyhound posted:

just gonna take a sharp bank with an open drink by the instrument panel, what could go wrong

bob-hoover-pouring-tea.gif

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

:eng101: A properly coordinated banked turn is a positive-G maneuver and the apparent gravity vector remains aligned with the aircraft. A level 60-degree banked turn pulls 2G, and he was climbing slightly so he was a little above that. The drink would remain in the cup.

The sensation of multiple Gs straight downwards, which in this case would feel like gravity just suddenly doubled, is pretty bizarre at first, so that's probably why his passengers start screaming "oh my god" as he rolls in.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Thank you both!

Here is the one I was talking about.

It's at 6:45

https://streamable.com/usuwo

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lazyhound posted:

Its not like that 5 lbs of liquid is gonna leap out of the can.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Stanky Bean posted:

Thank you both!

It's at 6:45

Jesus :stare:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I've seen energized screws before but never at full voltage. I've only seen back feed. Of course, those were the outlets in my school in the science classroom so you had to be very careful when sitting at your desk. They were zappy from time to time.

And as I always say when I see this sort of post...

I have an outlet that reads ~124 VAC when energized and 21.4 VAC on the nuts when the breaker is tripped. Why the heck is it exactly 21.4 VAC when tripped? ~124 has a bit of movement on it when the breaker is closed. It moves around a little bit, but it switches to exactly 21.4 VAC when the breaker is open and it never changes.

I'm aware that doorbell transformers run at that, but the house never had doorbell. I've been up in the ceiling and through the walls. Never seen an outlet that has that exactly 21.4 VAC anywhere else. Even that circuit goes dead on all the other outlets when tripped. Just not that one outlet.

I even did a dead short to trip the breaker. Still 21.4 VAC after.

I suppose I should trip all the breakers, have my daughter watch the meter, and turn on the other circuits on by one.

I only avoid it because my fear is that, even if I trip the whole house off, I'll still get 21.4 VAC. That will make things way too weird.

If I've previously mentioned this in a thread, I may be mis-remembering the voltage. I do guarantee it's 21ish, but always the same steady, bizarre voltage. I don't have my notes. Maybe it's 20.4 or maybe it's 21.1 but it always stays steady without any fluctuation. My other outlets dance a bit until you get a good connection, but this one just turns into a pure voltage with the breaker open.

If I ever figure it out, I will report.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You have an interdimensional portal to a perpetual motion machine

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mostlygray posted:

If I ever figure it out, I will report.

It most likely Ghost voltage.

It's inductively coupled from other wires running next to the ones you are reading.

Beg/borrow a meter with a Low Z setting. It will read zero.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mostlygray posted:

I have an outlet that reads ~124 VAC when energized and 21.4 VAC on the nuts when the breaker is tripped.

MRC48B posted:

It most likely Ghost voltage.

It's inductively coupled from other wires running next to the ones you are reading.

Beg/borrow a meter with a Low Z setting. It will read zero.

Yeah it’s probably that.

Now it’s not recommended to put an ammeter across a dead short, but at twenty volts the worst that will happen is that the meter’s fuse blows.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Stanky Bean posted:

People post stuff like this and I spend 6.5 minutes watching it and being confused at what the fuss is and wishing I were a pilot so I could enjoy the clip as much as they did.

then it gets to the 7min mark and

The really OSHA part is that I can submit a dashcam video of another car driver jumping a red light and my local police will prosecute them. Yet when the FAA is sent a link to this guy's own video, they shrug their shoulders and say they can't do anything.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

So, an emergency is an emergency, and bad stuff happens which we try to minimize. But uh. Sorry about the jet fuel we dumped on your kids?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/17-kids-injured-after-delta-jet-dumps-fuel-l-playground-n1115586

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
OSHA IV: using jet fuel to sterilize the playground

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Erisian Automata posted:

So, an emergency is an emergency, and bad stuff happens which we try to minimize. But uh. Sorry about the jet fuel we dumped on your kids?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/17-kids-injured-after-delta-jet-dumps-fuel-l-playground-n1115586

From listening to ATC, it sounds like a fuckup. The pilot is saying things are in control, not critical, and he doesn't need to dump fuel, but at some point must have decided he did but didn't actually mention it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIA90evz8gs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Somewhere, David Dees is having the boner of his life rn

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Found in the Schadenfreude thread:

https://i.imgur.com/aru8wH4.mp4

That truck's a'fuckled, alright :stare:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That is one way to quickly make a bridge. Not a good way but quick.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

That truck's a'fuckled, alright :stare:

I mean there's no way at all that the driver of that truck is not 100% dead right?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Aramoro posted:

I mean there's no way at all that the driver of that truck is not 100% dead right?

Looking at how the cab crumpled, there's only the slim chance they survived. If it was a cab-over then I'd be 100% sure of a fatality.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Think of how fast that vehicle had to be moving to make it across the gap with so little drop.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
wow, glad I read some comments before clicking. I don't really wanna see cab crumpling this early :coffeepal: or maybe like, ever

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That's not the worst cab crumpling. Now, when a cement mixer truck hit a concrete support of a pedestrian walkway hard enough to knock the bridge down...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/D2ORnKn.mp4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Haha. I didn't see the tracks so I was watching that thinking "Why are there parking lot gates in the middle of this road?"

And then the train appeared.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Whenever I see a train accident, I am always impressed at how much the train Just Does Not Give A gently caress About Anything.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Whenever I see a train accident, I am always impressed at how much the train Just Does Not Give A gently caress About Anything.

Unfuckable train vs. Truckfuckler truck.
Whatever happens, hope there is a camera running.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Behold the might of Mass under Acceleration!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Erisian Automata posted:

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT! :tinfoil:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

looks like the truck driver didn't see the gates/signs in time, tried stopping, realized he wasn't going to stop before the tracks, and then gunned it to try to get across. but they had already bled off too much speed, so *smack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Varkk posted:

Pretty sure you pull the breaker. Actually probably every breaker in the house because who knows how many other fun surprises like that are around.

Speaking of being stupid and not turning the electricity off, my colleague and I were going to put up a big mirror on the wall in our room but there was a wall socket in the way so I unscrewed the faceplate and then pushed the sockets a bit back into their housing. When the metal on the sockets touched the metal box it was in, there was a bright flash, the electricity on the whole shop went out, and the two pieces of metal fused together.