Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It's a defence mechanism. He needs to know who to bury when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Underrated Hogan moment was when Obama had taken the momentum in the Democratic primary but hadn't wrapped it up yet (around Texas I think?) Hogan went on some late night talk show and declared he supported Obama. Even funnier in retrospect.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Of course Hogan can recognize when people are over, how do you think he knew exactly who to siphon heat off of or kneecap at all times

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
hogan is a piece of poo poo, doesnt mean he doesnt fully understand the business. in fact that may be part of why hes a piece of poo poo!!!!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dude was one of the best carnies to every exist. He often knew which train to attach his wagon to.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave saying HHH’s comments about Paige are no big deal 🤦‍♂️

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dave's just really become an old man who doesn't get it in the last few years

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Dave and Bryan also both said he should apologise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Dave saying HHH’s comments about Paige are no big deal 🤦‍♂️

He said he shouldn't have said it and should apologize.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah I’m not at all saying we should give Dave a pass on anything (because he definitely hosed up w/r/t Cornette), but I do think sometimes folks are a little trigger happy with the GOTCHA DAVE YOU’RE JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER BOOMERS stuff.

He’s an equivocator and it sucks, but like, he’s also not as dumb as the people he reports on.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
There was way too much making excuses for Triple H for my liking.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CascadeBeta posted:

Bow down to the

Bow down to the king

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Karmine posted:

Yeah I’m not at all saying we should give Dave a pass on anything (because he definitely hosed up w/r/t Cornette), but I do think sometimes folks are a little trigger happy with the GOTCHA DAVE YOU’RE JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER BOOMERS stuff.

He’s an equivocator and it sucks, but like, he’s also not as dumb as the people he reports on.

It bums me out lately because it feels like he's gotten worse. I absolutely remember Dave being better about discussing stuff like this a few years ago.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It bums me out lately because it feels like he's gotten worse. I absolutely remember Dave being better about discussing stuff like this a few years ago.

Yeah but I also think nothing is helped by someone listening to a conversation and then running into the thread with one line from it before everyone throws their arms up and moans about how out of touch Dave is.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

lol like anyone who's mad about that actually listened

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

hunnert car pileup posted:

lol like anyone who's mad about that actually listened

I listen and I think this case is more Dave being Dave and not being able to say stuff like a big weirdo. But overall Dave is getting worse about this poo poo and spends more time deflecting and dancing around when people do and say really lovely stuff instead of just saying it sucks and I feel like he used to be a lot better about this poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's obviously possible for two people to listen to Dave and interpret him in very different ways. I don't think y'all need to assume bad faith on the part of people who got a different impression than you did.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Dave sounds like he’s about to keel over at any second with that cough.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

TL posted:

Dave sounds like he’s about to keel over at any second with that cough.

what a mark. everyone knows Dave can't be killed

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Everyone itt aware that Paige discussed that she considered suicide over her leaked videos? HHH certainly should be.

It’s wildly inappropriate for the VP of talent relations to make light of an employee’s sex life, let alone a woman who has gone through what Paige has. If the VP of my wife or sister’s company mocked their sex life publicly, I’d send the guy anthrax in the mail.

Dave not having Paige’s entire history in the front of his mind is very possible, so I guess his response isn’t as brutal as I originally thought. But, it’s still not a great look.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think a large reason for Dave not wording things in the best way can be attributed to doing these pods right after sitting through a three hour show. I've learned it's better to get a sense of Dave's takes through the newsletter when they're more coherent and composed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

mkay0 posted:

Everyone itt aware that Paige discussed that she considered suicide over her leaked videos? HHH certainly should be.

It’s wildly inappropriate for the VP of talent relations to make light of an employee’s sex life, let alone a woman who has gone through what Paige has. If the VP of my wife or sister’s company mocked their sex life publicly, I’d send the guy anthrax in the mail.

Dave not having Paige’s entire history in the front of his mind is very possible, so I guess his response isn’t as brutal as I originally thought. But, it’s still not a great look.

I think the bigger issue that Dave mentioned was that Paige can't have kids.

In other news of people having bad takes, Cornette defended Tessa with some great takes such as "maybe it was ok for her to spit in some woman's face and call her the 'n' word if she got stiffed in the ring" and "I like Tessa because she works like a man!"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think a large reason for Dave not wording things in the best way can be attributed to doing these pods right after sitting through a three hour show. I've learned it's better to get a sense of Dave's takes through the newsletter when they're more coherent and composed.

dave is also extremely careful about not saying anything too unkind about WWE lest he gets attacked by braindead WWE fans for a week straight

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

dave is also extremely careful about not saying anything too unkind about WWE lest he gets attacked by braindead WWE fans for a week straight

And also careful to say just enough unkind about WWE so he gets attacked by a manageable amount of braindead WWE fans and can ride that poster's high

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Low Desert Punk posted:

I do wonder if there is some appreciable business growth from him being so active on twitter or if Dave just likes wasting his own time.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Incessant Excess posted:

I do wonder if there is some appreciable business growth from him being so active on twitter or if Dave just likes wasting his own time.

A control for this would require logging off, something he is not capable of

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Incessant Excess posted:

He does it because his friends think it's funny

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Dave has gotten worse at discussing things ever since the Peyton Royce outrage, possibly due to him wanting to avoid something like that again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Dave has gotten worse at discussing things ever since the Peyton Royce outrage, possibly due to him wanting to avoid something like that again.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Dumb but it makes sense.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

*galaxy brain dave* can't get cancelled if... y'know... the actual point i'm making is buried under... verbal... tics... andheresthething... bizarre and abstract phrasing... is the mentality

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

WWE’s manufactured outrage from the Peyton Royce thing did exactly what it was supposed to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That doesn't really explain like the Cornette or Tessa stuff though.

I get it. Dave's an old guy set in his ways who doesn't get it. Lots of people have been listening to him for a long time and while they're uncomfortable with him when he does stuff like that they know they're gonna keep listening so they gotta kinda get past it without just assuming the worst. Others are noticing the pattern and its taking affect. It is what it is.

"Cancel culture" isn't actually a thing that happens. Its just that popular acts/people sometimes wear down their fans' resolve over time with bad takes/behavior until they're no longer fans. Meltzer's probably got a lot of rope just based on how established he is as the bar for his thing for anyone seeking it out. edit: And he's probably unlikely to ever really cross the line and say something really outrageously bad himself that would really get him "cancelled."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

oh dave has trash opinions i do not defend

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't think Dave is a bad person but I do think he just can't stop himself from dying on the stupidest possible hills

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dave being very pro union gives him a lot of chances I wouldn't otherwise give

Plus most of his gaffes are consistent with being pre-disposed to trying to be charitable about people. (I'm a relativity new listener but I don't think I've heard Dave be 100% unkind about a person as a person. Their wrestling or booking decisions is a different story).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm pretty sure he's never raped or murdered anyone, nor organised either of those.

This is the moral bar for pro wrestling promoters (Vince fails this).

And yeah I wonder when WWE will have an actual professional get enough power to force the company to resemble a real company.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They won't. That's the answer. Short of a massive federal investigation and legal raid that rips the entire culture apart they're not changing. And that's why they've put so much money in politics the last decade.

Stephanie McMahon 2024.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I would actually pay for the F4W video service if I got to see a video of Bryan's growing irritation as Dave absolutely refuses to take a moment to cough and just barrels through his sentences

loving hilarious

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dave keeps bringing up porcupines when the vintner’s cage comes up and it makes me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seams posted:

Dave keeps bringing up porcupines when the vintner’s cage comes up and it makes me laugh

Dave trying to claim it was Bryan's idea and Bryan not letting him get away with it was great.