Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jolo posted:

I just built a new pc and it's really great. I'm very tempted to pick up MHW and Iceborne for it, but the combination of having to start over and not being able to play with my buddy that I play with on ps4 is a dealbreaker. I really really wish there was crossplay. If I could still play with my friend, I'd be willing to abandon my character and start over anew.

There's startup gear that you start with that's strong af, like there's been no reason at all to craft anything so far. The descriptions are basically "designed to get you into Iceborne content as fast as possible" It's on par with the best stuff in game probably. I face tanked a lot of fights because the armor let me.

I'll post screenshots, once you see what it looks like on PC you'll have to check this out, extremely impressive if you have an HDR capable display. I'm playing at 1440p60 HDR, I might need to see how HDR screenshots look on a non HDR display. I was playing at 1440p120 SDR but my frames kept dipping low enough that I dropped my monitor to 60Hz since it wont run in HDR above 60Hz (it's intended it's not a defect, I have no idea the hardware reason behind it).

Really it takes a day to get to HR out of practice, if you have played recently you could probably do it in a few hours. Zorah Magdaros actually looks like you are on a dragon on PC, on PS4 I thought I was looking for it in a volcano or something at first and could never unsee it as a volcano. I didn't realize I was on the drat thing.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 14, 2020

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lizard Wizard posted:

i have a higher tolerance for anime but hearing it being described i can understand the aversion. if you want a more wholesome time might i recommend ni no kuni? it's gorgeous as it's a ghibli collab, and the humor is very very good.

Nah, I think I’m indefinitely good on anime and jrpgs now. Not gonna spend money on more anime and jrpgs to find out which ones don’t piss me off or make me feel like the developers are sitting next to me on the couch, pants around their ankles.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

pixaal posted:

There's startup gear that you start with that's strong af, like there's been no reason at all to craft anything so far. The descriptions are basically "designed to get you into Iceborne content as fast as possible" It's on par with the best stuff in game probably. I face tanked a lot of fights because the armor let me.

I'll post screenshots, once you see what it looks like on PC you'll have to check this out, extremely impressive if you have an HDR capable display. I'm playing at 1440p60 HDR, I might need to see how HDR screenshots look on a non HDR display. I was playing at 1440p120 SDR but my frames kept dipping low enough that I dropped my monitor to 60Hz since it wont run in HDR above 60Hz (it's intended it's not a defect, I have no idea the hardware reason behind it).

Oh yeah I know it looks fantastic. Maybe I can talk my buddy into updating his pc to play along. I had forgotten about the gear thing they did to give you a huge advantage to cruise through all of the original content. Fuckin hell though, Monster Hunter is a good rear end game. When it came out on console my brain just became a repository for Monster Hunter information, how to use weapons, what sets to try out, how to best fight each monster. So great.

I've just gotten past Velkhana in Iceborne on PS4. Holy moley. The difficulty in Iceborne is really stepped up. I had a hell of a time with Velkhana and Barrioth.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Scaly Haylie

mysterious frankie posted:

Nah, I think I’m indefinitely good on anime and jrpgs now. Not gonna spend money on more anime and jrpgs to find out which ones don’t piss me off or make me feel like the developers are sitting next to me on the couch, pants around their ankles.

that's why i said wholesome

Heather Papps

hello friend

I cant wait till we just call them RPGs and cartoons again.

mysterious frankie

Lizard Wizard posted:

that's why i said wholesome

So I’ll just be pissed off I spent money on it then?

----------------

Scaly Haylie

So I’ll just be pissed off I spent money on it then?

i found it refreshing compared to the tales of's and disgaeas and personas of the world. there's a demo for the first game if you happen to have a ps3.

i wish more games had demos :argh:

mysterious frankie

Lizard Wizard posted:

i found it refreshing compared to the tales of's and disgaeas and personas of the world. there's a demo for the first game if you happen to have a ps3.

i wish more games had demos :argh:

Same! Sorry if it sounded like I was getting aggro there. I reread it and it sounded kinda confrontational.

Demos with saves that would transfer to the full game would be the way to go. I’d try and probably purchase a lot more jrpgs if I could because it’s a genre I feel nostalgic for, but I always get burned for like $60 whenever I go off of someone’s advice that this one is the one you’ll like, I swear, no really.I think I just gotta play em myself to find the ones I’d like and that is friggin pricey

----------------

Pastry of the Year

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/1217100101128282112?s=19

GETTING HYPED

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nice. i couldnt play the second one very much because the keys were inconsistent for similar ingredients across different dishes, and weren't intuitive to me at all. hopefully that isnt the case with 3

vanisher

i'm not the only one refreshing the steam page daily? good

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Korean Boomhauer
im really glad i only play indie games cos idk most big budget games feel liek they want all of my money whereas with isaac or gungeon or whatever else its less insulting to play

Heather Papps

hello friend

The gulf in philosophy between AAA EA SPORTS COD OF MADDEN and stardew style indies is staggering.

I have a theory about nintendo producing toys, Sony producing entertainment electronics and Microsoft software, and how this has produced a sort of big player 3 main production philosophies.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Korean Boomhauer posted:

im really glad i only play indie games cos idk most big budget games feel liek they want all of my money whereas with isaac or gungeon or whatever else its less insulting to play

so many are so good too. i still play some isaac every now and then

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Gone Fashing posted:

so many are so good too. i still play some isaac every now and then

I still play binding of Isaac on a PS Vita

It's good as hell

mysterious frankie

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I still play binding of Isaac on a PS Vita

It's good as hell

I have bought Isaac like five times on four different platforms and I regret nothing.

----------------

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I have bought Isaac like five times on four different platforms and I regret nothing.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Is gungeon by the same dev's? I think isaac pioneered roguelike bullet hells right?

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

I cant wait till we just call them RPGs and cartoons again.

I find the distinction between JRPGs and WRPGs useful, because if I'm in the mood for something like Fallout or PST I will be sad if someone recommends me something like FF7 or Atelier Iris instead, and vice versa

MtG update: I don't know where the green wizard is but her ape-men are kicking my rear end so I'm probably not ready to face her yet

Bobby Deluxe

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i like games that end as well, like getting to the end and then there are side missions and maybe looping / generated missions if you are still having fun playing

and then there is fuckin destiny

mysterious frankie

Heather Papps posted:

Is gungeon by the same dev's? I think isaac pioneered roguelike bullet hells right?

Isaac was made and remade by a couple different studios, first by Edmund and another guy, then every other version was nicalis I wanna say? Gungeon was a different studio.

----------------

Korean Boomhauer
i think edmund still developed but nicalis or whatever published it but i could be wrong

all i know is the next expansion is coming soon-ish

mysterious frankie

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i think edmund still developed but nicalis or whatever published it but i could be wrong

all i know is the next expansion is coming soon-ish

Nine wild years of Isaac... and counting????

----------------

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i didnt even buy the last expansion because i cant even remember all the items in afterbirth and have to use a wiki while i play lol

pixaal

Same! Sorry if it sounded like I was getting aggro there. I reread it and it sounded kinda confrontational.

Demos with saves that would transfer to the full game would be the way to go. I’d try and probably purchase a lot more jrpgs if I could because it’s a genre I feel nostalgic for, but I always get burned for like $60 whenever I go off of someone’s advice that this one is the one you’ll like, I swear, no really.I think I just gotta play em myself to find the ones I’d like and that is friggin pricey

This, and the new trend of adding the most interesting systems 40 hours into a 60 hours game. I'm not going to play 2/3 the game waiting for it to get good and show off the feature that makes the game look interesting, I'm going to hard pass.

You really shouldn't be paying $60 for any game though, even on PS4 you should be able to get most games for $20-30 if you pay attention to sales especially the Thanksgiving - New Years stuff which probably just ended. You wont be able to get one released in the last 12 months but I haven't been hyped for an RPG release in a very very long time since the genre has become really loosely defined and it's hard to tell even from gameplay footage if a game is good or bad.

Get demos, watch a let's play of the first few hours (skip around, see if it looks interesting at least). If I think I'm interested in a story I'll watch the intro and first boss videos by that point you probably know if you can't stand the plot or if it seems like it could be interesting. If you are worried about spoiling the game for yourself, it's that or you don't play you have to have some way to pick between 20 different games that are 100 hours each unless you plan on spending 2,000 hours, over half that you didn't enjoy because you didn't like the game all that much.

sig by owlhawk911

Yinlock

i like when i get points in the video game

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
youre a real sicko

Heather Papps

hello friend

Is death stranding actually good?

pixaal

Yinlock posted:

I think you would like idle games! There's even a subgenre of them called clickers where the objective is to click a box over and over.

https://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

click cookie get points (don't actually play cookie clicker it's a really dated concept this is like linking someone who just discovered RPGs to Dragon Quest 1 or Final Fantasy 1, there's much better stuff out now because the genre has evolved).

sig by owlhawk911

mysterious frankie

Heather Papps posted:

No with a “but”. It’s interesting, but not good imo.

----------------

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Heather Papps posted:

Yes

Heather Papps

hello friend

Hmmm

Heather Papps

hello friend

Yinlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8xzRNRKKE

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

tier 1A show

mysterious frankie

pixaal posted:

This, and the new trend of adding the most interesting systems 40 hours into a 60 hours game. I'm not going to play 2/3 the game waiting for it to get good and show off the feature that makes the game look interesting, I'm going to hard pass.

I'm like 12 hours into xenoblade and it's still pausing combat to be like "oh, now would be a good time to tell you about double secret level 4 foomo combo buster breaks!" and I just can't with this.

----------------

Bobby Deluxe

Yinlock posted:

why are tv and movie writers obsessed with levels

Heather Papps

hello friend

Gone Fashing posted:

tier 1A show

Marry me

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
unfortunately i am already betrothed to leah in stardew valley but im flattered

Heather Papps

hello friend

Gone Fashing posted:

unfortunately i am already betrothed to leah in stardew valley but im flattered

Apparently I'm supposed to marry my housemate cause she makes pot pies and cinnamon buns so... gotcha!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy

Only I may dance
i beat hollow knight the other day, what a good game. i played it a couple years ago and gave up a few hours in but this time it just clicked for me.