Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geisladisk posted:

Richyp is a bit of a tough act to follow, but I really enjoy finishing projects, even if they're small. Finished my Warcry team.

I love the vibrant green, and your skin looks pretty good too :)

Chuckle posted:

So, I've just recently begun getting into Warhammer 40k, picked up a box of tau fire warriors and here was my first attempt at painting a miniature.

For a first model that is not too shabby at all! Maybe thin your paints a bit more but doesn't look terrible.

Do you know about shade / wash paint?

If you get a nice shade on top of those base coats, your model will go from "newbie" to "quite decent" in like 10 seconds.
Using a wash is very very easy and makes your model look like you know what you're doing.

I would try a red shade on that pink, and it'll make all the cracks and details pop! Then you can leave it as-is or you can do another layer of pink on top if you want to brighten it back up outside the cracks.
And a black shade on the grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of Badger and airbrushing their 56 birthday sale is going on. The big thing to remember is that there may a significant delay before your order gets filled. IIRC my order last year took about 5-6 weeks, but for some folks it was a number of months. They also have some deals on compressors and paint/primer this year.

Details here.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

For a first model that is not too shabby at all! Maybe thin your paints a bit more but doesn't look terrible.

Do you know about shade / wash paint?

If you get a nice shade on top of those base coats, your model will go from "newbie" to "quite decent" in like 10 seconds.
Using a wash is very very easy and makes your model look like you know what you're doing.

I would try a red shade on that pink, and it'll make all the cracks and details pop! Then you can leave it as-is or you can do another layer of pink on top if you want to brighten it back up outside the cracks.
And a black shade on the grey.

Currently I only have one Shade paint (Nuln Oil, used it to pull the detail out of the emblem on the shoulder pauldron) it just feels like it would be way too dark to run over any of the pink i have on there. As for thinning the paints, is there a good way to tell how thin is good to go, because I'm honestly worried i'll be going too thin, if there's such a thing.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got another carnifex done!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I couldn't find anything on YouTube or Google, so I figured I would ask here :

How the hell do you backflow a sotar 2020?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You're going to need a way to keep air from escaping the end, you can try pinching the needle but IMO this sucks and is really unreliable. I took the rubber piece off the end of one of my pipettes and that happened to fit perfectly for my brush. I just put a bit of pressure on it so it doesn't come flying off and it works fine. Not as easy as a brush with an enclosed tip like the Iwata ones, but good enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chuckle posted:

Currently I only have one Shade paint (Nuln Oil, used it to pull the detail out of the emblem on the shoulder pauldron) it just feels like it would be way too dark to run over any of the pink i have on there. As for thinning the paints, is there a good way to tell how thin is good to go, because I'm honestly worried i'll be going too thin, if there's such a thing.

Yeah don't use black on pink or red or white or yellow, it'll just ruin everything. Good call there. Get some red shade or potentially make some yourself.
And now that you mention it, yeah I see it on the shoulder symbol. Nice job there.

There's no such thing as too thin really, it just means you'll have to do more coats so it'll take longer. Always better to do too thin than too thick. You can always add paint, but removing it is harder.

You want it to be basically semi-transparent as it goes on the model. It'll feel "wrong" at first, but you just gotta train yourself to remember that paint looks different after it dries.

And two thin coats > 1 thick coat all day every day. But that said, your model doesn't look nearly as "way too thick" as most people's first attempts. It looks pretty dang good. Just maaaaybe a bit thinner would be even better.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 14, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah don't use black on pink or red or white or yellow, it'll just ruin everything. Good call there. Get some red shade or potentially make some yourself.
And now that you mention it, yeah I see it on the shoulder symbol. Nice job there.

There's no such thing as too thin really, it just means you'll have to do more coats so it'll take longer. Always better to do too thin than too thick. You can always add paint, but removing it is harder.

You want it to be basically semi-transparent as it goes on the model. It'll feel "wrong" at first, but you just gotta train yourself to remember that paint looks different after it dries.

And two thin coats > 1 thick coat all day every day. But that said, your model doesn't look nearly as "way too thick" as most people's first attempts. It looks pretty dang good. Just maaaaybe a bit thinner would be even better.
Don't wash nuln over red, it'll ruin everything. Look at this awful ruined model:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been furiously painting in preparation for LVO. Ready for a big break from Space Marines after the this

:rip:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Geisladisk posted:

Richyp is a bit of a tough act to follow, but I really enjoy finishing projects, even if they're small. Finished my Warcry team.

These are great! What paints did you use? Contrasts? The lines are clean and I love the variety.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Booley posted:

Don't wash nuln over red, it'll ruin everything. Look at this awful ruined model:

The longer I look at this the sicker it gets.

The freehand gold leaves on the should wreath symbol. Wowie zowie.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I'll keep all of that in mind, I will most likely be moving into building an orc army, so it will be a good bit of painting and practice as I move through that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The longer I look at this the sicker it gets.

The freehand gold leaves on the should wreath symbol. Wowie zowie.

gently caress me I'd missed that before.

Honestly there's been a ton of rad poo poo posted today and I feel like I should quote reply them all.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I couldn't find anything on YouTube or Google, so I figured I would ask here :

How the hell do you backflow a sotar 2020?

I use a damp paper towel. Pull the trigger back (without pressing it down) hold the paper towel up to the nozzle and pinch it then press the trigger down. You dont need a perfect seal to backflow.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Getting back into painting minis (I painted LOTR minis when I was teen), here's my attempt to paint the wizard that comes with one of the reaper starter paint sets:

Overall, for my first mini I'm happy with how it came out. I think the back is really good, the front is a little rough. I primed the mini black (with a quick coat of white from the top ie zenithal), and I wasn't prepared for many coats of red I'd have to do, you can still see the black coming out in some areas. Missed some places in the front, I think I'd need to break out the smaller brushes for those spots. OVer the next few days I'm going to try and paint my gloomhaven character, I'm excited to try!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

PinheadSlim posted:

I want like 10 of those to mount my 6mm Squats on so bad

This is the file for the dachshunds, just scale it properly before you slice it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182122

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Getting back into painting minis (I painted LOTR minis when I was teen), here's my attempt to paint the wizard that comes with one of the reaper starter paint sets:

Overall, for my first mini I'm happy with how it came out. I think the back is really good, the front is a little rough. I primed the mini black (with a quick coat of white from the top ie zenithal), and I wasn't prepared for many coats of red I'd have to do, you can still see the black coming out in some areas. Missed some places in the front, I think I'd need to break out the smaller brushes for those spots. OVer the next few days I'm going to try and paint my gloomhaven character, I'm excited to try!

That’s a pretty good looking wizard.
Thats like the best mini for learning to paint cloaks and robes, just don’t make the mistake I did and paint him white.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

What do you guys use for cracked earth textures on bases? All the videos I've seen generally point to Agrellan Earth, but I was hoping there was a cheaper alternative. I've got some DecoArt crackle paint but it doesn't seem to give the same sort of cracked earth texture that the GW stuff does.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Goons should post their hobby Instagrams

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7SvzULBzts/?igshid=irm7rt0bwovf

I've been painting stuff on and off and taking photos of my work and haven't really posted here for a couple of years because it is a little bit of a hassle. I have also been going through my collection and posting pics here and there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Instawhat?

Whatgram?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

These are great! What paints did you use? Contrasts? The lines are clean and I love the variety.

Thanks! It's all contrast except the metal bits. Those models are perfect for contrast paints.

The metal bits are Vallejo Steel with Basilicanum Gray. Basilicanum Gray is really good when used as a sort of extra-heavy nuln oil wash.

The skin tones are a variation of the three skin contrast skin tones, and the dark skin being Goregrunta Fur. GGF is maybe a little too red for dark skin, but it turned out alright.

The black leather is black templar, and the green bits are warp lightning.

I really, really enjoy the contrast paints. Time is the major constraint on my painting, and those let me bang out really quite nice tabletop quality models in half the time.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What do you guys use for cracked earth textures on bases? All the videos I've seen generally point to Agrellan Earth, but I was hoping there was a cheaper alternative. I've got some DecoArt crackle paint but it doesn't seem to give the same sort of cracked earth texture that the GW stuff does.

Honestly I haven't had much luck finding anything with similar performance. The generic art crackle pastes tend to want to split a lot in parallel sections radially without the nice chunks. It's just one of those things GW has the formula dialed in for the use case. It'd be nice if Vallejo or someone came out with a more economical competitor. Otherwise I try to use it a bit sparingly. Mostly black lava or other texture paste with patches of crackle gives some good variance.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I posted this mini before, but I gotta say, in terms of bang for my buck, there have been few betters buys than a light box.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If I was going to buy my first air brush would the 105 or Patriot be better?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ropes4u posted:

I think that is the same brush friend. Most people seem to recommend the Badger Patriot 105 or the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I bought the Badger during the holidays because it was on sale for $56. I've used it a bit, so far so good. I'm about to do a major prime and basecoat for my Primaris marines with it. It seems pretty straightfoward to me. IDK about fine detail but for now I mostly want a prime and basecoat tool and it will more than meet those needs.

I think Badger is running a sale now where you can get any airbrush for $56. The only other Badger I see recommended a lot is the Sotar 20/20 but i gather it is a finer detail brush and I've seen some things that indicate it isn't ideal for 1st time airbrushers.

If you get the Patriot, make sure you get the adapter for it. 36-010 Badger airbrush to 1/8 hose adaptor $6.00 It will be neccesary for any compressor other than a badger compressor. Apparently they have their own special sized threads. I picked up a Master Airbrush Model TC-40T compressor with a tank off Amazon because I wanted a quiet small compressor to use indoors.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 14, 2020

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ropes4u posted:

They're the same but it is the correct first timer's airbrush.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Patriot_105.asp

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Any tips on shading white? Manually with layers of grey and eggshell? Wash with a really thin blue or yellow?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

Any tips on shading white? Manually with layers of grey and eggshell? Wash with a really thin blue or yellow?

Spray it with gloss varnish, use a black wash and apply to recesses - nuln oil gloss or a black oil wash are the easiest. You can use a dark brown or blue if you want to tint the white either warm or cold.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The 105 Xtreme would be the one to pick in the sale. It's an upgraded version of the Patriot with their high roller trigger and integrated air valve. The sotar 20/20V with its larger paint cup and .3 needle also actually might not be bad for a general airbrush unless you plan on using it for bigger vehicles or terrain. Even then there is a larger needle/nozzle available.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

jassi007 posted:

If you get the Patriot, make sure you get the adapter for it. 36-010 Badger airbrush to 1/8 hose adaptor $6.00 It will be neccesary for any compressor other than a badger compressor. Apparently they have their own special sized threads. I picked up a Master Airbrush Model TC-40T compressor with a tank off Amazon because I wanted a quiet small compressor to use indoors.

Thank you for this hot tip my goon comrade!!!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
This evenings mini, the Tyrant from Feast of Bones. (I should go back to smoking, it's cheaper)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dienes posted:

Personally I don’t use washes with white, I use a light grey base coat and highlight progressively to pure white. That said I paint white cloth so on other surfaces your mileage may vary.

Eg:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

jassi007 posted:

If you get the Patriot, make sure you get the adapter for it. 36-010 Badger airbrush to 1/8 hose adaptor $6.00 It will be neccesary for any compressor other than a badger compressor. Apparently they have their own special sized threads.

Quick disconnects are standard sized, though, so if you get a badger metric male plug and a female QD 1/8" then you can easily swap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very excited to be painting these dudes. They are incredibly badass looking, and are a great addition to an admech army. Looking at him up close with the camera, I think I should do some tiny touchups, but on the table, and to the naked eye, you really don't notice these details.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

richyp posted:

This evenings mini, the Tyrant from Feast of Bones. (I should go back to smoking, it's cheaper)

Richyp, I don’t like this.

I LOVE this. The scheme is unique and the execution of your style is impeccable and synergistic.

Also special shout out to the basing which is doing enormous work for the model. Frozen northern grasslands?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

darnon posted:

Quick disconnects are standard sized, though, so if you get a badger metric male plug and a female QD 1/8" then you can easily swap.

Also good info

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

darnon posted:

Honestly I haven't had much luck finding anything with similar performance. The generic art crackle pastes tend to want to split a lot in parallel sections radially without the nice chunks. It's just one of those things GW has the formula dialed in for the use case. It'd be nice if Vallejo or someone came out with a more economical competitor. Otherwise I try to use it a bit sparingly. Mostly black lava or other texture paste with patches of crackle gives some good variance.

Yeah, I ended up going out and getting some Agrellan Earth (and also some Martian Ironearth) from the game store that's about an hour from where I live. I know AK Interactive does a "Diorama Effects" range that has a dry cracked desert effect, and Green Stuff World also has something similar, but I'd have to wait for them to arrive in the mail.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Booley posted:

What's the recipe for your red?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I posted this mini before, but I gotta say, in terms of bang for my buck, there have been few betters buys than a light box.

What kind of light box did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

What kind of light box did you get?

This guy:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YB5LQX9/

It's nothing fancy but the led has decent warmth/brightness options and the whole ordeal is very lightweight