Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

socialsecurity posted:

Is there a good visual guides for ships, I'm playing with some new people would be nice to maybe print out a card they could look out to quickly identify 20 different kinds of TIE Fighter without having to show them my back tats.

There's a silhouette of each ship printed on each pilot card. I dunno if that helps, but, uh, maybe?

canyonero posted:

The Composure change was probably so that Vonreg and the rest of the FO Interceptor pilots couldn't abuse it.

Probably!

The Static Discharge Vanes change to deal damage was ABSOLUTELY so the Fireball couldn't abuse it forever. The combo of SDV + fireball title to fish out the Disabled Power Regulator crit would have been stupid good.

As it is it's STILL really good, especially on the i1 pilot.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
FFG announced the end of Star Wars Destiny (a CCG) today. People are starting to worry that X-Wing isn't safe. I'm sure FFG will stop supporting this game when it's no longer making them money, but I'd think that many other games (Armada???) would get the axe first. Still sucks for players of Destiny.

At Worlds last year there was nearly the same number of Destiny players as there were X-Wing players, so at least from that perspective, the game was still being supported recently.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

FFG announced the end of Star Wars Destiny (a CCG) today. People are starting to worry that X-Wing isn't safe. I'm sure FFG will stop supporting this game when it's no longer making them money, but I'd think that many other games (Armada???) would get the axe first. Still sucks for players of Destiny.

At Worlds last year there was nearly the same number of Destiny players as there were X-Wing players, so at least from that perspective, the game was still being supported recently.

My opinion is that if X-Wing dies, it dies. I will be sad.

However, there's nothing I can do to change the ultimate outcome in any way. So I won't worry about it.

And, honestly, I can't believe Armada still exists. That's a Dead Fuckin' Game, and has been for years. Long before the recent restructuring/layoffs/etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyonero posted:

Worlds last year wasn't an open though, but I think Destiny was. Maybe that had something to do with it?

At the system open in Phx last year there were about 200 X-Wing players and about 30 Destiny players.

I have a feeling that X-Wing is FFG's healthiest Star Wars game though

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The one thing X-Wing has going for it is that there are no other miniatures games quite like it. It's small, it's fast, and it's cheap to get started. Plus the pre-painted minis are a huge draw for randos. I know like a dozen people who own some number of X-Wing ships just for display purposes.

The closest game out there today is probably Marvel Champions, which plays on a similarly-sized game board in a similar amount of time with a similar cost investment, although it lacks the pre-painted minis.

Destiny was just Yet Another Collectible Card Game in a very crowded market. The dice helped differentiate it, but a lot of card game purists hated those. Also, I've seen Keyforge eating at Destiny's playerbase for like a year now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

The one thing X-Wing has going for it is that there are no other miniatures games quite like it. It's small, it's fast, and it's cheap to get started.

The still pretty new FunkoVerse strategy game (yes I know how it looks) actually checks all these boxes.

I playtested it a ton last year and it’s quite good.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Tonight is our first league night since the points change, and I can not loving wait to have six strikers on the board. I honestly never thought they would cross the 34 point threshold with them. This is going to be way more fun than when I used to fly 5 Planetary Sentinels and Wampa.

quote:

"Pure Sabacc" (44)
Ruthless (1)
Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Planetary Sentinel (31)
Ship total: 31 Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v8ZhZ200Z210X128WWWY213XWWY213XWWY213XWWY213XWWY213XWW&sn=Red%20Dice%20Wins&obs=

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Voodoofly posted:

Tonight is our first league night since the points change, and I can not loving wait to have six strikers on the board. I honestly never thought they would cross the 34 point threshold with them. This is going to be way more fun than when I used to fly 5 Planetary Sentinels and Wampa.

I faced a similar list last night. It was 5 strikers with countdown and Ps both with shield upgrades and seismic. It was hard to beat and I barely did(see above)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope Armada lasts a while longer (although the dumb as gently caress sequel movies sure arent helping). Its legit fun as hell.

Even if X-wing is canned im sure some the bigger x-wing "personalities" will try and make a 3.0 or continue to run events with their idea of good rules changes which we be awful. (seriously they tried to make a 2.0 before 2.0 was even announced and it was the most horrible homebrew rules poo poo imaginable.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Upcoming page on FFGs site just switched VonReg and fireball to shipping with a Jan 31 release date.

Of course this is ffg so who the gently caress knows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For what it's worth we have a small but devoted Armada crowd here, so it's still a thing. It's a little pricey for me to get into, but it certainly sounds like fun.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

As a new player myself, the easy sell for me was that everything is pre-painted and looks killer so absolute worst case if i hated the game (i do not, it's amazing) I'd have a bunch of cool ships I could display.

Also, the guy who runs the local gaming group said he has decided to stick with his main faction (Resistance) and should I be interested, he offered me a new guy deal to take his republic collection off of him. Consists of the following mint ships

Aethersprite - 4 (1 is the yellow paintjob, 3 jedi starfighter style)
Torrent - 6
Arc-170 - 1
Y-wing - 1
N-1 - 1

All cards/dials/tokens as well plus a nice foam carrying case for $120.

I probably have to do this, right? Seems like a killer deal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That is a good deal yes

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

As a new player myself, the easy sell for me was that everything is pre-painted and looks killer so absolute worst case if i hated the game (i do not, it's amazing) I'd have a bunch of cool ships I could display.

Also, the guy who runs the local gaming group said he has decided to stick with his main faction (Resistance) and should I be interested, he offered me a new guy deal to take his republic collection off of him. Consists of the following mint ships

Aethersprite - 4 (1 is the yellow paintjob, 3 jedi starfighter style)
Torrent - 6
Arc-170 - 1
Y-wing - 1
N-1 - 1

All cards/dials/tokens as well plus a nice foam carrying case for $120.

I probably have to do this, right? Seems like a killer deal.

If you don’t want it, ask him how much extra to ship it to Seattle.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I told him I'll take 'em! Looks like I'll be learning how to play Republic :)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Maybe a silly question, but say a ship doesn't have the ability to use it's action to focus or evade, but it is given at an evade/focus token through another effect, it can still use those tokens normally for attacking/defending right?

Also while i'm asking questions, is Swarm Tactics able to proc off of using Han's gunner ability? Using Lando for example who shoots at 5, Could i use Swarm Tactics to set whatever other friendly ship to 5 at the beginning of the engagement phase. Then use Han's ability to get my regular attack off at 7, therefor pushing that other ship to 7 as well? Or is the gunner ability specifically just to shoot and therefore would not effect initiative for the other ship like that?

Also since the card doesn't mention it's a bonus attack so it would just be shifting around when my ship shoots? Or it just gets an extra attack at 7? So Lando would get an attack at 7 with Han, and then at 5 when he gets to attack normally?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Shame Boy posted:

Maybe a silly question, but say a ship doesn't have the ability to use it's action to focus or evade, but it is given at an evade/focus token through another effect, it can still use those tokens normally for attacking/defending right?

Yes, spending tokens isn't an action and doesn't require having the associate token-creation action.

The Shame Boy posted:

Also while i'm asking questions, is Swarm Tactics able to proc off of using Han's gunner ability? Using Lando for example who shoots at 5, Could i use Swarm Tactics to set whatever other friendly ship to 5 at the beginning of the engagement phase. Then use Han's ability to get my regular attack off at 7, therefor pushing that other ship to 7 as well? Or is the gunner ability specifically just to shoot and therefore would not effect initiative for the other ship like that?

No, Swarm Tactics would just give initiative 5. Han is just granting a bonus attack at (the beginning) of initiative 7, not modifying the initiative of the ship.

The Shame Boy posted:

Also since the card doesn't mention it's a bonus attack so it would just be shifting around when my ship shoots? Or it just gets an extra attack at 7? So Lando would get an attack at 7 with Han, and then at 5 when he gets to attack normally?

It's a bonus attack - the official faq in the Rules Reference says:

FFG posted:

Q: Is Han Solo [Rebel, Upgrade gunner]’s additional attack a bonus attack?

A: Yes. Anything that permits an attack outside of the standard attack allowed to a ship when it engages is a bonus attack.

Lando's second attack at 5 would need to be from a different turret arc than Han fired from (or a missile attack from the front arc).

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
small brain "5 T65 Xwings"
Galaxy Brain "4 T70s and an A-wing"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Universe Brain: Still 5 T-65.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I honestly think that mixed squads, like XXXYY, are going to be better than 5x. You get some combination of more arcs from turrets, potential ionization from turrets, higher initiative, and named dudes.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
For updates and erratas, what do you guys recommend for the cards? Do you directly write on them? I was thinking of printing out a copy of the card with adjusted text, and then putting it in with the existing card in it’s sleeve.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

For updates and erratas, what do you guys recommend for the cards? Do you directly write on them? I was thinking of printing out a copy of the card with adjusted text, and then putting it in with the existing card in it’s sleeve.

I just memorize them.

There aren't many in second edition, and most of them are mis-prints from the Saw's Renegade pack that had (clearly unfinished) second edition content at release. Updated, corrected versions of the Saw's cards came in the conversion kits, core, and other releases.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 15, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fireball preview

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

https://i.imgur.com/evpoW26.jpg

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Some of us live in countries that respect street date!

Also, what's the opposite of impressed with a ship?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Underwhelmed

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, what's the opposite of impressed with a ship?

I hope you're not talking about the Fireball, because this thing is nuts. The pack gives you both a Torrent-like efficient generic AND a couple of pocket aces to replace Tallie with.

Not to mention the disruptive Title + Choose the Ion Crit + Static Discharge Vanes combo.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Not to mention the disruptive Title + Choose the Ion Crit + Static Discharge Vanes combo.

Right but Static Discharge Vanes isn't HS legal and they errata'd it to give you a damage. I think I'd rather have Greer or Tali in an A-Wing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Right but Static Discharge Vanes isn't HS legal and they errata'd it to give you a damage. I think I'd rather have Greer or Tali in an A-Wing.

Yeah, Hyperspace is weird as hell now!

The Ion Fireball is, at its heart, anti-ace tech. An ace that can't dodge and can only take one token is a dead ace. I'd *gladly* trade a damage or three to kill my opponent's Soontir, or Vader.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ah i see, thanks! Of course it would be the thing i missed at the bottom

Do they update these rule reference files as cards get released and more questions get asked? I feel like that would be an important thing to keep up with.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I kinda feel like I need to watch people flying the fireball or fly it myself to really get it. I think it's the whole, starts off damaged, self-damages thing gets me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Shame Boy posted:

Ah i see, thanks! Of course it would be the thing i missed at the bottom

Do they update these rule reference files as cards get released and more questions get asked? I feel like that would be an important thing to keep up with.

There are two primary resources for weird rules poo poo.

The first is the Rules Reference, which has both a FAQ and an Errata section. This is where finalized rulings updated card text go. These get updated intermittently, as needed.

The second is the Official Rulings thread on the FFG forums. This is where FFG puts stuff that needs to be addressed, but hasn't yet fully vetted for whatever reason. Most of these eventually end up in the Rules Reference, although not always in the same form.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/277390-x-wing-official-rulings/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I kinda feel like I need to watch people flying the fireball or fly it myself to really get it. I think it's the whole, starts off damaged, self-damages thing gets me.

It only self-damages if you use the ship ability (or title ability). These are optional things. It flies like a Torrent if you don't SLAM, or like a Gunboat without a config if you do SLAM. The difference comes if you really want to ditch the disarm token, which won't always be the correct choice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

It only self-damages if you use the ship ability (or title ability). These are optional things. It flies like a Torrent if you don't SLAM, or like a Gunboat without a config if you do SLAM. The difference comes if you really want to ditch the disarm token, which won't always be the correct choice.

yeah, I stand by the whole "Need to see it in action for it to click for me" thing, but it sounds like it could be pretty cool

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've been tinkering with the idea of a list with two TIE silencers and one of the new Interceptors.

It's... tight. Basically you can only get the ships alone with no upgrades.

Major Vonreg (57)

Kylo Ren (76)

"Rush" (57)
Total: 190

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve been toying with the same thing. I’m curious about Blackout over Kylo to buff the rest.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just pretend it has five hull and the potential for something very bad to happen when you want to remove a disarm.

The mini-aces are yawn, largely because the Resistance Awings and Finn have the 30-45 point slot on lock, they'd probably get a better run in other factions like Rebels & Scum.

The generics are souped-up Z-95s and have big potential. Chewie+title, 4 Fireballs and Heroic Finn (or Vi Moradi for maximum blocking) is a spicy meatball by any metric.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

hoiyes posted:

Chewie+title, 4 Fireballs and Heroic Finn (or Vi Moradi for maximum blocking) is a spicy meatball by any metric.

Why'd they have to go and remove the Resistance Falcon from Hyperspace??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prob because Rey would decimate all the garbo ships that were left for all the other factions.